Jim Torbett: Paedophile who abused young footballers also headed up Celtic’s chain of club shops

Shameless bastards hope the victims eventually get their proper justice. Will we see this sort of story all over the Scottish press? I'm not holding my breathe. Unbelievable really.

A twice-convicted paedophile was employed by Celtic while he preyed on young players, further undermining the club’s refusal to accept responsibility for systematic sexual abuse at its feeder club.

Jim Torbett, 72, the founder of Celtic Boys Club, was jailed for six years in 2018 for sexually abusing boys between August 1986 and August 1994. He had previously served a two-year sentence for molesting players, including the future Scotland striker Alan Brazil, at the boys’ club between 1967 and 1974.

While expressing “regret and sympathy”, Celtic have distanced themselves from Torbett, describing the boys’ club as an “entirely separate organisation” with which they had “historic contacts”.

However, The Times can disclose that in addition to coaching he was hired by the club to run a chain of shops, selling merchandise. Torbett’s firm, the Trophy Centre, also had a long-running contract with Celtic. The revelations will heap further pressure on the champions after four senior figures at the boys’ club were convicted of molesting children over four decades.

In March 1994 The Celtic View, the club’s magazine, carried an article about sales. It states: “Jim Torbett, who oversees the Celtic Shops. . .” Four months earlier the magazine reported on how Torbett had launched a club shop in Argyle Street, Glasgow. In 1994 Celtic listed three shops, one department store concession and their staff as part of the club’s commercial division.

During his first trial in 1998 Hugh Birt, the late former boys’ club chairman, gave evidence that Jock Stein — then manager of Celtic FC — kicked Torbett out in 1974 after hearing claims of abuse, but did not inform the police.

It is a version of events corroborated by Lou Macari, the former Celtic player and manager, who wrote in his autobiography: “The wish to maintain the good name of Celtic was the only thing that kept the issue from coming to light.”

Torbett returned to Celtic Boys Club four years later and molested more boys, remaining there until 1996 when abuse allegations appeared in the press.

Passing sentence in 2018, Lord Beckett said: “You used the club as a front and a recruiting ground for boys who you could sexually abuse.”

In February Celtic FC said it was “very sorry” the abuse had happened, but still insisted that the boys’ club was separate. After Torbett’s 2018 conviction the club issued a statement saying: “Allegations regarding abuse at Celtic Boys Club first emerged in the 1990s.”

However, Celtic launched an internal investigation in 1986 that found “nothing to substantiate” the claims.

Thompsons Solicitors, which is representing about 20 abuse survivors, is preparing to launch legal action against the club. A Celtic spokesman said: “We would have no comment to make.”

A club insider added: “I’m not aware Torbett was actually employed directly by the club.”

Official magazine highlighted links
Investigations by The Times have exposed the links between Celtic FC and its scandal-hit feeder club (Marc Horne writes).

Celtic has insisted that it is not legally culpable for the widespread abuse, describing the boys’ club as “entirely separate”.

However, their position was contradicted by their own official magazine.

In 1987 an article in The Celtic View said: “It was some 20 short years back that [the Celtic manager] Jock Stein and [the chairman] Sir Robert Kelly brought the boys’ club into the Celtic family.

“It is now 18 years since Jock and [the Celtic scout] John Higgins made the connection official.”

The previous year it featured a report saying: “David Hay [the Celtic manager] complimented Celtic Boys Club and once again confirmed that they are very much a part of Celtic FC.”

An archived copy of the now-defunct feeder club website stated it was the “only official Celtic Boys Club”, while its registered address was a Celtic FC training ground.

Jack McGinn, Celtic’s chairman at the time, was found to have accepted the resignation of the boys’ club coach Frank Cairney after allegations he had abused a teenager on a US tour in 1991. Mr McGinn’s involvement appears at odds with claims that there were no links between the clubs.

The Times uncovered documents showing that Stein had personally recruited Cairney to the boys’ club in 1970.

Are American lawyers still going ahead with a case against them.

For the avoidance of doubt Lennon was good friends with Woodward, a victim of the vile abuser Bennel. Lennon has said he has spoken to the police a number of times about this and that he knew absolutely nothing about it.

Lennon often looks like a man haunted by the past. Just his general demeanour gives that impression.

Moral integrity should insist on it ...

the second the mentally challengeds said there was a secret 2 year investigation the SFA/SPFL should've implemented a transfer ban until all court cases were over with.

How can celtic be allowed to spend millions on transfer fees with tens of thousands in wages each week while they have this hanging over them?

Why hasnt the SFA/SPFL acted on the court case they have already lost?

Footballing wise celtic will not suffer through this, no removing their license, no 5 way agreements etc

As a father, I hate that club. I couldn't even begin to imagine what those kids went through. I don't think I could process it or control myself if I found out that had happened to them.

As a Father, I hate that club's fans. How could anyone knowing what happened there not be so ashamed that they would still defend them? To toe the party line and say it wasn't us? To try and reduce their filthy, disgusting secrets of a paedophile gang being protected by a club they profess to love so much to point scoring? To proudly wear a rag at every opportunity knowing what happened? I cannot even begin to describe how low each and every one of them is.

Can you imagine the size of a Gary fucking Glitter concert held today? People turning up dressed like him, proudly belting out his tunes? There would be no customers. There would be no venues would touch it. No promoters either. No, I would imagine that 99% of his bought records and paraphernalia were thrown in the bin immediately after people found out what he was.

Do you think anyone would go and see that vile bastard Saville doing a marathon and applauding his heroic charity efforts? He wouldn't make it two steps from his car before being torn to pieces by a mob.

And yet they go. And they sing. And they ignore. And they try every trick in the book to implicate everyone else to lessen their shame.

To see what is happening right now, and let's be honest, Politicians and Media happily allowing themselves to be used and manipulated and still be sympathetic to their club is sickening. The question is why? It can't just be that they support that club. It just can't be. There must be something else.

Shame on them forever, whatever the reason.
When anyone like yourself dare point this out to them you are accused of being immorall by using abused kids as a stick to beat them with, maybe if someone or something would take them to task about it we wouldn't have to.

Has there ever been provenance of the £250k a year or is it a bit of an urban myth that has caught on. I don’t ever recall seeing proof but surely it’s a smoking gun the Times would run with.

It is logged in their accounts, I have seen it posted some time ago, I may well have posted it myself at some point.
Over the years there has been so much it really is difficult to keep up, I really wish I had logged everything I have seen. I alone would have thirty, to forty years of evidence, there are others on this board who would have more.

I will have a hunt for it.

U
The Scottish Government unreservedly condemns the abhorrent crime of sexual abuse.

Experiences of sexual abuse in Scottish football will have a profound and long-lasting impact on those who were abused. Ensuring children can enjoy taking part in sport in a safe and secure environment – as well as giving parents confidence about the safety and wellbeing of their children – is a priority for the Scottish Government.

You may be aware that the Scottish FA announced the terms of reference for an independent review of non-recent sexual abuse allegations in Scottish football on 2 February 2017. The interim report was published on 26 July 2018, allowing the Scottish FA to address some or the recommendations before the final report is published when current on-going legal cases are concluded.

The Scottish Government will consider next steps when the final report is published.

Has the final report been published yet, is this report Celtic requested to see before it was published?
Almost 3 years ago this interim report was published and we’re still waiting on the final report, which will no doubt be doctored to suit you know who, shameful.

We really don't want Lennon to reveal he was abused do we?
That's when Hollicom and the Scottish media would get to work. Can you imagine the outpouring of sympathy? Sturgeon would offer public support and Scotland would sell out of candles.

Almost 3 years ago this interim report was published and we’re still waiting on the final report, which will no doubt be doctored to suit you know who, shameful.
Thought that was the case, they already put in a request or it was already passed that they can see it first and make changes to it or did I imagine reading that.

Has there ever been provenance of the £250k a year or is it a bit of an urban myth that has caught on. I don’t ever recall seeing proof but surely it’s a smoking gun the Times would run with.
Byline: CHARLES LAVERY Chief Reporter EXCLUSIVE

CELTIC have severed business links with Jim Torbett four years after he was jailed for molesting three young footballers.

The club will not renew a controversial pounds 250,000-a-year contract with a firm linked to the paedophile founder of Celtic Boys' Club.

Celtic chairman Ian McLeod ordered all ties to be cut with the Trophy Centre, in Glasgow, and put the contract out to tender. Club insiders say McLeod was alarmed to discover the club has paid the company more than pounds 1million since millionaire Torbett, 54, was convicted of molesting young starlets, including ex- Scotland star Alan Brazil.

Club officials were told the Trophy Centre contract will not be renewed next week. Torbett made a fortune supplying merchandise including medals and scarves to the club.

He resigned his directorship of the Trophy Centre in 2000 after being jailed for two years in November 1998.

But he remains a key figure in the business and his car is regularly seen at Trophy Centre outlets in Glasgow.

Staff answering the phone at the shops last week continued to take messages for him. A Celtic insider said: "The club has had a long history with the Trophy Centre.

"But a new management has come in and that relationship has not sat comfortably with them."

A spokesman for the club said: "Celtic had a long-term contractual obligation with the Trophy Centre. This has now lapsed and we are opening up the supply of our merchandise to tender."

Torbett served less than half of his two-year sentence.

COPYRIGHT 2002 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2002 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

On reading this again I must note that I always believed the payments to have been 4 x £250,000. Going by the quote attributed to Ian McLeod it was indeed more than £1million, it was then put up for tender.
It would be interesting to know who won that contract next, and the sum per year they were paid. If it was even 10% of £250,000 I would be very surprised.

Last edited:
ive seen the £250k figure quoted quite a bit on torbetts contract with celtic and seen the theory that its hush money paid to torbett to keep him quiet.

i dont think it is hush money, i think its a tax avoidance or laundering scheme. between 1991-1993 the small profit corporation tax rate was 25% versus 33% for standard rate.

it may only save £20k in corporation tax payments, but how many other schemes did they have?

i think celtic will have used torbett as a pawn, threatening that they would out him as a paedo if he didn't allow his business to be used for the scheme.

i just think this is a more feasible theory than hush money, effectively its torbett who is paying for silence.

if you want to take it a step further; in return did torbett ask for carte blanche on the boys club as part of the scheme?

ive seen the £250k figure quoted quite a bit on torbetts contract with celtic and seen the theory that its hush money paid to torbett to keep him quiet.

i dont think it is hush money, i think its a tax avoidance or laundering scheme. between 1991-1993 the small profit corporation tax rate was 25% versus 33% for standard rate.

it may only save £20k in corporation tax payments, but how many other schemes did they have?

i think celtic will have used torbett as a pawn, threatening that they would out him as a paedo if he didn't allow his business to be used for the scheme.

i just think this is a more feasible theory than hush money, effectively its torbett who is paying for silence.

if you want to take it a step further; in return did torbett ask for carte blanche on the boys club as part of the scheme?
Didn't they continue to pay the company after he was convicted as a paedo, if so more likely someone was trying to keep Torbett quiet.

Last edited:
Great price by the Times. This spiders web just keeps getting bigger. When you see Saville with the Priest and his visits up to see him you just feel that some of these poor boys must have been taken to meet them. I struggle to read this kind of stuff sometimes but we all in society need to get this out there. I applaud the Victims who have came forward as I think this really is going to come to a head and justice will prevail. It’s too big a story it’s too many lies too big a cover up

"However, The Times can disclose that in addition to coaching he was hired by the club to run a chain of shops, selling merchandise. Torbett’s firm, the Trophy Centre, also had a long-running contract with Celtic."

This is the first time I have read that Torbett ran the Celtic shops. Ws this known before or is it new information?

Either way, it is a smoking gun.

Didn't they continue to pay the company after he was convicted as a paedo, if so more likely someone was trying to keep Torbett quiet.

on conviction, maybe the tables turned. they kept paying him in return for silence on the scheme or to keep their "good names" out of the trial?

or maybe t was still beneficial for celtic to carry on laundering through torbetts business

one thing is for certain, its a disgusting quagmire and remains so to this day

"THE SHOPS ARE A SEPERATE ENTITY NOT AFFILIATED"
tumblr_ofq01cx2KE1qmob6ro1_400.gifv

1984 Stein made a personal appearance at the Trophy Centre on Kilmarnock Road signing Autographs, two things,

1- why would he appear at Torbetts business if he knew about the abuse

2- in 1984 he was employed by the SFA, surely they can’t now ignore this case as their formed National Coach was being paid by a known Paedophile.

Quote from Macari,s book
Within a month of my arrival one of the young players asked to see me in my office. 'Here we go,' I thought. 'That didn't take long. Here's a youngster in to complain about not being in the team. Straight away he's going to be into me to give him his chance.' He sat down and told me that he had had problems on a trip to North America with the youth team. One of the fellas in charge had made advances towards him.
As a manager you expect to have to sort out all sorts of problems. But this wasn't one I ever saw coming. I was staggered. To be frank, I didn't know how to respond for the best
3 seconds to Dial 999 Lou that’s how you should have responded.

Byline: CHARLES LAVERY Chief Reporter EXCLUSIVE

CELTIC have severed business links with Jim Torbett four years after he was jailed for molesting three young footballers.

The club will not renew a controversial pounds 250,000-a-year contract with a firm linked to the paedophile founder of Celtic Boys' Club.

Celtic chairman Ian McLeod ordered all ties to be cut with the Trophy Centre, in Glasgow, and put the contract out to tender. Club insiders say McLeod was alarmed to discover the club has paid the company more than pounds 1million since millionaire Torbett, 54, was convicted of molesting young starlets, including ex- Scotland star Alan Brazil.

Club officials were told the Trophy Centre contract will not be renewed next week. Torbett made a fortune supplying merchandise including medals and scarves to the club.

He resigned his directorship of the Trophy Centre in 2000 after being jailed for two years in November 1998.

But he remains a key figure in the business and his car is regularly seen at Trophy Centre outlets in Glasgow.

Staff answering the phone at the shops last week continued to take messages for him. A Celtic insider said: "The club has had a long history with the Trophy Centre.

"But a new management has come in and that relationship has not sat comfortably with them."

A spokesman for the club said: "Celtic had a long-term contractual obligation with the Trophy Centre. This has now lapsed and we are opening up the supply of our merchandise to tender."

Torbett served less than half of his two-year sentence.

COPYRIGHT 2002 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2002 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

On reading this again I must note that I always believed the payments to have been 4 x £250,000. Going by the quote attributed to Ian McLeod it was indeed more than £1million, it was then put up for tender.
It would be interesting to know who won that contract next, and the sum per year they were paid. If it was even 10% of £250,000 I would be very surprised.
Surely that smoking gun should now be reviewed

That theory falls down when you consider that Torbett was already in jail having been convicted of being a paedo.

The idea of the filth being a whistleblower in their own paedophile ring?
Not a fùcking chance mate.

"However, The Times can disclose that in addition to coaching he was hired by the club to run a chain of shops, selling merchandise. Torbett’s firm, the Trophy Centre, also had a long-running contract with Celtic."

This is the first time I have read that Torbett ran the Celtic shops. Ws this known before or is it new information?

Either way, it is a smoking gun.
I think it was common knowledge particular on this forum. But selectively ignored by the club like no other and media outlets for some bizarre reason.

The young boys and their families have went through hell throughout this disgraceful cover up by Celtic,SFA and the press/ media. Each and everyone involved in this cover up should hang their heads in shame I hope they rot in hell.For any lurkers here this is in no way point scoring as keeps getting peddled out there.

Last edited:

You’re out by ten years mate. It was four years around 2000, not 1990.

Back