Jimmy Greaves has left us.

Sad news, what a player he was. Lucky enough to see him play against us at Ibrox where he scored, of course. What a finisher, caressed the ball into the net most times.

A real legend.

RIP Jimmy Greaves

Condolences to family and friends.

How much would he be worth in today’s mad market??

Clubs are paying mega money for players that couldn’t lace Jimmy’s boots.

R.I.P. Jimmy ( a proper legend ).

RIP to the great man

Loved watching Saint & Greavsie as a kid

He was before my time as a player but my old man said he was a tremendous player

RIP Greavsie, used to love Saturdays as a youngster tuning in to Saint and Greavsie, changed days from the muck we are presented with now. Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Shame, him and Saint were good on a Saturday lunchtime before you went to the game years ago. He was quite funny and used to make Saint piss himself laughing. Always used to get tore into Scottish goalkeepers. Don’t think he ever got over not playing in the 66 world cup final and hit the drink.
On that one, why was he left out?

My late father and grandfather couldn’t speak more highly of him.They said his pace was exceptional as was his finishing.Very unlucky to be injured before 1966 W.C final one he would definitely have played in.Very sad for football.
You’ve answered my question.
I always had it in mind that he’d been dropped.

Greavsie was the greatest goalscorer Britain has ever produced and appointment viewing on a Saturday lunchtime alongside the Saint. An absolute legend.
He was, was he not bitter about not playing in the 1966 WC final?

On that one, why was he left out?
He got injured just before the Quarter Final.
Geoff Hurst came in to replace him, and scored the only goal v Argentina.
Ramsey opted to keep Hurst in the team for the Semi Final, and the Final, in which Hurst scored a Hat Trick.

Sad news

I think I only saw him play live on one occasion, when he scored two goals against Celtic at Hampden in August 1967, in a 3-3 draw.
Wonderful striker and I loved him on Saint & Greavsie.

Rest easy Jimmy. A great forward, always in the right place at the right time. Very quick in thought and pace around and in the box. Jimmy and St John were great viewing.

The greatest goalscorer in English football history. I remember him from the early 70s when he was past his peak, but still electric in and around the box.

skysports-jimmy-greaves-obit-5517368.jpg

COYS !!

Rip Jimmy :(

Devastating.

This has been coming for a while, he had a stroke a few years back, but it’s still very sad news.

My first real footballing hero: I loved Greavesie. The greatest striker the world has ever seen. He could hit shots from all over the park, with either foot, he could dribble and score, score with his head, and get into position for all those tap-ins. He scored for every club he played for. He scored for his country. He established and broke all sorts of scoring records. And was cruelly deprived of the World Cup winner’s medal he deserved.

No better game to commemorate him today than Spurs v Chelsea.

We will never see his like again.

RIP Jimmy.

My father always said Greaves was the best finisher he had ever seen. I enjoyed watching him with the saint on itv as a kid. RIP

Too young to have seen him play but Saint and Greavesie was what used to always watch on a Saturday after Football training in early 90s as a kid. Was all Football talk, nothing fancy or trendy like now - just two blokes on about Football and having a laugh, learnt loads from it. Have followed his last years on Facebook, think a close friend ran it giving updates. RIP.

One of my favourite Jimmy Greaves stories is from when he a youth player at Chelsea, and he scored 7 goals in a game against Crystal Palace.

The Chelsea manager, the legendary Ted Drake, came to see him at training on Monday, and compared his feat to the occasion in 1935, when he (Drake) scored all 7 goals in Arsenal’s 7-1 win over Aston Villa.

Drake told Greaves:

“Scoring seven goals in a game happens for a very, very select few. And it happens just once in a lifetime. Remember your goals. You’ll always have the memory of your greatest day in football to look back on”.

In his next game, against Fulham, Greaves scored 8.

Sad news. A true legend of the game.
he played before my time, but loved watching Saint and Greavsie growing up.

I would imagine he was universally liked. Great player and lovely character.

Last edited:
Back