Jimmy Greaves in hospital.

Loved saint and greavsie one the shows that brings back memories of childhood

When I started watching it I just thought he was a funny bloke but my old man told me what a brilliant player he was.

Get well soon Jimmy

Before my time his playing career , enjoyed his TV show on Saturday morn
always windin folk up with humour

Was at the game at Ibrox and remember being sick at losing the first goal but that was typical of his finishing. Also remember the great atmosphere at the game but it was no shame to lose to spurs who we’re a really good side at the time and went on to beat Athletico Madrid 5-1 in the final.

Anyone read the books he wrote years ago about a player called Johnny Groves (!) who was an alcoholic? Wonder who that was based on... Used to get them from Darnley Library back in the early 80s.

He turned 80 a couple of months ago, Spurs had a special programme and shirt for him for the Saturday match. He was unable to attend due illness and his son collected it on the pitch for him.

That’s a blast from the past, Saint and Greavsie. Get well soon Jimmy!

There was an interview with his son on talksport recently and I don’t think he keeps great health now.

That TV show the other week was excellent - he was before my time but can mind Saint and Greavsie from the 80's

Get well soon Jimmy. A true legend of the game. As previous posters have said Saint & Greavsie was essential viewing. There’s a few full episodes available on YouTube for anyone wanting to wander down memory lane.

Great goal scorer in an epic Spurs team with Bill Brown, Danny Blachflower, Cliff Jones etc., and an engaging personality on television.
He’s not had his troubles to seek regarding his health, hope he can pull through this.

He epitomised the term "poacher", always in the right place at the right time, and was a prolific finisher. Suffered for years with alcoholism, then later had a massive stroke, get well soon.

His goal scoring record was incredible;
Chelsea - 124 how’s in 175 games
AC Milan - 9 goals in 12 games
Spurs - 220 goals in 321 games
West Ham - 13 goals in 38 games
England - 44 goals in 57 games

I saw him play for spurs against west ham at Upton park in 1962. 6-1 for spurs. His display that day was exceptional. I don't think I have seen a player with better close ball control. He could run flat out with the ball looking as if it was tied to his boots. A truly great player.

Sadly poor Jimmy has had a hard time of it in terms of poor health recently but although he was before my time any football supporter can appreciate the genius of the man in his prime.
UnknownTotalDore-size_restricted.gif

Anyone read the books he wrote years ago about a player called Johnny Groves (!) who was an alcoholic? Wonder who that was based on... Used to get them from Darnley Library back in the early 80s.
Read his autobiography and it’s a powerful read, he documents his descent to alcoholism unflinchingly and also his slow road back. On the footballing side he says his objective was to pass it into the net, going for vision and accuracy.

I only ever saw Greavsie play live once, when Spurs drew 3-3 with bheast fc at Hampden in 1967 and Greavsie scored twice in a 3-3 draw.
Was brilliant to see him and Gilzean together.

And many years later, just after we broke the British transfer record after signing big Dunc, Greavsie agreed with Ian St John on television that Rangers were the biggest team in Britain.

Get well soon Greavsie

Saddened by this, get well soon Greavsie.

Always thought that young jimmy greaves and old jimmy greaves looked like 2 completely different people
In the early days of s & j , the time gap could only have been 10-15 years between how his looks totally changed.
He always looked like an old man in the early 80s but could only have been around 40.

Greavsie, one of the very, very few of England's International players I liked, respected and appreciated.

I also reflect on Saturday, 31st October 1987 and the Saint & Greavsie show at lunchtime on network TV. Scottish football was not shown live outside of Scotland then. Ian St John introduces the goals from the Scottish League Cup Final played the previous Sunday. A magnificent game, Rangers v Aberdeen ends 3 v 3 then 5 v 3 to the Gers on pens after ET which St John acknowledges was very exciting.

Cue Greavsie saying," I would have loved to see that final live" (instead of whatever drab English game was shown simultaneously). Then Greavsie goes on to say, "That final should have been shown across the whole UK network".

Not only could Greavsie play football he knew the game well as an analyst long after he retired, His opinions were comic but good value too on that football show which competed with the rather staid and serious BBC's Football Focus.

The final for which ‘The Saint’ was co commentator.

Back