Joe Aribo has not turned down a new Rangers contract

Picking up traction is the line he turned down a Rangers contract and that he will be leaving.

Record
Football Scotland
Talksport Yesterday (Alex crook)

It's untrue.
Going by the theory that we must have offered an extension and no extension is signed i'd say it isn't too far from the truth.

It's a strange one, if assuming the £10m release clause is true you would think he would have been away by now.

£10m for a player of his quality and experience is nothing to epl teams.
Most likely his agent discussing with the interested parties, seeing what they’re prepared to offer and how it compares to the others. Not the quick process punters think.

Will be surprised if he travels to Portugal.

Sooner it’s done, the better.

We really need to know what the intentions of both club and player here are- as well as with Alfie and Kent.
At the moment, whilst we all want some new signings, the fact is that we still have a bloated squad so adding to that total seems a little reckless without a sale or 2.

Hasn't technically turned one down, probably because he wasn't formally offered one as it's known he is leaving.

We need to cash in now.

I don't think for a minute that he hasn't been offered a new contract. In fact, probably several. As @Highway Star says immediately above your post though, the most likely thing is that the contract offer is there but he and his Agent have yet to either decline or accept it. Keeping his options open for now, in other words.
100 % definitely been offered a new contract just like Alfie & Kent

It's not as simple as that. If Aribo stays and gets us into the Champions league/latter stages of Europa he will be worth £10m to us by staying even if he does leave for free.
So do we just tell Aribo, Kent and Morelos that if qualify for the CL this season then they are free to run down their contracts and leave for free next season? I’d say that’s madness

We keep talking about a player trading model, so we can’t allow an emotional attachment to stop that happening. Buy low and when we strike gold with a player sell at his optimum value. It’s the only way we will excel financially playing in a backwater league. We won’t do that by letting players leave for nothing

200.gif

Can’t turn down something he’s said he wouldn’t sign anyway if offered.

I'd love it if Aribo, Kent and Morelos signed new contracts. And Bassey. Would leave the 'team needs a revamp' guys in a bit of a quandary though.

I'm sure Ross Wilson will have had many discussions with all of them, and their Agents, and will know if they are open to new deals and what they want.

Joe has history for running down his contract though and has done very well out of it, which is a bit concerning.

And spare me the 'move them on' stuff. If they don't want to move and choose to run down their contract that is entirely their privilege.

It makes no sense to keep 3 players worth about £30m to help us qualify for the Champions League because that will only get us about £25m.

Even if we keep them and they help us qualify for the Champions League and they leave for free next summer we will probably make less money than if we just sold them this summer.

If they don't want to sign new contracts an ideal scenario is to sell the 3 of them for about £30m and sign 3 new replacements who help us qualify for the Champions League.

Picking up traction is the line he turned down a Rangers contract and that he will be leaving.

Record
Football Scotland
Talksport Yesterday (Alex crook)

It's untrue.
If you were privy to such information, did you ask if he was offered one?

So do we just tell Aribo, Kent and Morelos that if qualify for the CL this season then they are free to run down their contracts and leave for free next season? I’d say that’s madness

We keep talking about a player trading model, so we can’t allow an emotional attachment to stop that happening. Buy low and when we strike gold with a player sell at his optimum value. It’s the only way we will excel financially playing in a backwater league. We won’t do that by letting players leave for nothing
Of course letting them all run down their contracts would be madness... The thread is about Aribo. However, the club can't force another club to bid for him, if someone comes in with £10m + they will probably sell him (if he isn't for signing a new deal). No amount of getting knickers in a twist will accelerate that process.

Are we not just playing with words here?

We have perhaps not offered him a new deal if he has told the club he has no intention of signing one??

I don't think for a minute that he hasn't been offered a new contract. In fact, probably several. As @Highway Star says immediately above your post though, the most likely thing is that the contract offer is there but he and his Agent have yet to either decline or accept it. Keeping his options open for now, in other words.
So we are saying he hasn't turned down the contact offer and instead has just not accepted it?

Lets be honest, thats just about same thing.

It makes no sense to keep 3 players worth about £30m to help us qualify for the Champions League because that will only get us about £25m.

Even if we keep them and they help us qualify for the Champions League and they leave for free next summer we will probably make less money than if we just sold them this summer.

If they don't want to sign new contracts an ideal scenario is to sell the 3 of them for about £30m and sign 3 new replacements who help us qualify for the Champions League.
To sell, you need a buyer willing to pay an acceptable fee. In Aribo's case we know the fee is £10m. If nobody wants to pay that, or the player doesn't fancy the club that's offered that, then we cannot force him out. Its well known he's available and what he will cost. Either nobody thinks he's worth it - which I would find astonishing - or he doesn't want to go. Rangers cannot control either of those things. He, and the others, are not lumps of meat we can throw in the 'Reduced' section until we get a buyer. The player has the power here. He has to choose to go.

Doesn't really give much information.

Has he indicated he won't sign one so we haven't offered him one or have we just not offered one?

If he has indicated he doesn't want to extend and is looking to leave then I would consider that turning down a new contract and feeding these line to media partners to put out is stupid.

If we just haven't offered one then that is even worse.

I'd love it if Aribo, Kent and Morelos signed new contracts. And Bassey. Would leave the 'team needs a revamp' guys in a bit of a quandary though.

I'm sure Ross Wilson will have had many discussions with all of them, and their Agents, and will know if they are open to new deals and what they want.

Joe has history for running down his contract though and has done very well out of it, which is a bit concerning.

And spare me the 'move them on' stuff. If they don't want to move and choose to run down their contract that is entirely their privilege.
I’m not sure that out playing trading model works if they stay beyond their peak period age. Though if we were t qualify for champs league and they performed at that level we could achieve their peak money but it’s a huge gamble!
We simply need to buy low and sell high, as a support we need to realise sell high means we lose some of our best at the wrong time.

It’s a very difficult balance but one that Wilson is paid handsomely to realise for the good of the club!

We really need them all to sign new contracts whether they are leaving or not as it gives us the best chance to make good money on them.
I know this may not be possible.

I’m the same, would far rather see these guys reach their peak with us than go elsewhere and add to the squad within our means rather than punt players and hope we strike lucky with replacements.
We can’t keep players forever. It’s been stated many times that player trading is integral to us becoming self sufficient. Also, provided we are using good scouting techniques, our ability to replace them shouldn’t be left to plain luck.

Right now he is still worth more than £10m.

Clause is a bastard.
With 12 months left I doubt he’d go for too much more than £10 million anyway but he’s definitely worth more than that. Considering when/how we signed him though the clause probably made sense at the time and is still a good profit for us.

Back