Joe Aribo has not turned down a new Rangers contract

Sellable & valuable are not necessarily the same thing.
True, but with one year left he won't be very sellable if he decides to run his contract down and just take the £10m next year as signing on fee instead.

Of course letting them all run down their contracts would be madness... The thread is about Aribo. However, the club can't force another club to bid for him, if someone comes in with £10m + they will probably sell him (if he isn't for signing a new deal). No amount of getting knickers in a twist will accelerate that process.
Who’s getting their knickers twisted? I’m entirely comfortable with moving on all 3 players in the last year of their contracts. It should not have been allowed to happen that way, ie all in the one summer, but that’s another argument

Talking about Aribo alone, if he does have the reported £10m release clause and there are multiple clubs interested then I think it’ll be met, and he’ll be away. If that in turn allows us to bank some £ whilst reinvesting in the first team then excellent

Last edited:
How's he going to perform after playing 70 games this season?
Hopefully better now he’s actually had a rest but we need players that can challenge him for a starting place so he gets a break

There were spells last season where he was the only player creating anything other than Tav.

Now when he leaves people are just going to be more angry believing we didn’t offer him a contract at all.

Weird behaviour if the club has passed this nonsense onto you to put out.

If we haven’t offered him one/he’s indicated he doesn’t want one, we should be actively trying to sell him this summer.

There's no chance we're just sitting doing nothing mate.

We'll 100% have offered him a new contract, but he'll just not be committing to anything and is keeping all his options open.
The power is all with the player.

It's exactly what he did with Charlton, before he signed for us.

With a decent transfer budget, at last.
Don't feel it will be enough to replace them we need a new forward in so if Alfie leaves there's 2 we got to find ,,& bed in before the season starts & to lose the driving force of Kent & joe to replace like for like don't come cheep

How's he going to perform after playing 70 games this season?
He won’t be , that’s my biggest issue if he goes , no AFCON and not in the World Cup , if he goes to say Palace no Europe or indeed any other clubs interested , he will be flying .

Playing in that cup fucked the big man he played himself into the ground and it showed, without international baggage (don't know where Nigeria are in terms of games coming up) but a fresh JA going into the new season is a fantastic prospect, hope he stays.

True, but with one year left he won't be very sellable if he decides to run his contract down and just take the £10m next year as signing on fee instead.
Of course, that's the risk as it stands. (I doubt he'd be getting a £10m signing on fee right enough)

Hope he stays and signs a new deal, but wouldnt begrudge him going down south. Feel like he'd rip it up and probably wants to test himself.

Hopefully better now he’s actually had a rest but we need players that can challenge him for a starting place so he gets a break

There were spells last season where he was the only player creating anything other than Tav.
I can see him struggling this season due to being overplayed last season.

Joe Aribo has not turned down a new Rangers contract

Picking up traction is the line he turned down a Rangers contract and that he will be leaving.

Record
Football Scotland
Talksport Yesterday (Alex crook)

It's untrue.
Says who?

And spare me the 'move them on' stuff. If they don't want to move and choose to run down their contract that is entirely their privilege.
As I see it, when a player chooses to run down his contract - no way is he giving 100% on the park.

I'd prefer to let someone like Lowry show what they can do in that position - let the player run his contract down on the bench

There's no chance we're just sitting doing nothing mate.

We'll 100% have offered him a new contract, but he'll just not be committing to anything and is keeping all his options open.
The power is all with the player.

It's exactly what he did with Charlton, before he signed for us.
And he will feel vindicated by that decision .

Regardless whether he has been offered a contract or not, if Aribo hasn't signed an extension soon then we should be actively looking to sell.
He's a terrific player and would be a big loss, but we have to maximise what we can get for him rather than let him run down his contract. I know Goldson signed back on after we all thought he was away, but that was a rarity, the vast majority of players in that position leave for free.

He's shown before that he is happy to see out a contract then leave, we don't want that happening again. If stories of the £10m release clause are true, then that's what we just need to accept even if we know he's worth more.

So to decipher the scooby doo cryptic clues, we haven’t offered him a new deal and would like to sell him if possible, we don’t want the narrative that he is a ‘contract rebel’ to be set thus lowering his potential value.

At a loss with the release clause stuff now having doubt cast on it after it being pushed like mad by various fan media sources a few days ago though.

He
Best player in the country from July to December. I don't think he's inconsistent, more burned out.
He’s been inconsistent since he arrived so the burn out is just an excuse. If he’s even half as good as we think then they should be Lining up for him at £10m

Sorry but I don't believe that for a second, what's the club claiming here, that we haven't offered him an extension at all and just allowed his contract to run down? :rolleyes:

Maybe the clubs claim is they’ve offered and he’s never accepted or declined it.

If our business model is to make any sense, then (1) other clubs have to bid and (2) players need to be sold before they leave for free.

Players have a lot of clout in these matters but the clubs have some too. For their market value to be maintained or increased, a Rangers player needs to play consistently for the first team, win trophies and be a performer in Europe. If they become a bit player, for whatever reason, they are likely to be less attractive to other clubs. The nuclear option? Yes but it wouldn’t be the first time and it may well discourage others.

Be happy if he signs but I’ll also be happy if we can cash in on him. £10m price tag can hopefully get the players in we want.

Squad badly needs freshened and I want Lowry to (hopefully) break through next season

As I see it, when a player chooses to run down his contract - no way is he giving 100% on the park.

I'd prefer to let someone like Lowry show what they can do in that position - let the player run his contract down on the bench
As talented as Lowry is, and as much potential as he has, he will need to be 'managed'. There's huge gaps in his skillset yet, as the weekend's game against Thistle showed. If all three of Kent, Morelos and Aribo choose to run down their contracts then we cannot simply bench them all. It would be madness. We'd only be harming ourselves.

Getting the big man to sign a new contract on a two year extension and removing the release clause would be fantastic.

I've got a sneaky feeling this is on the cards. Same with Morelos and Kent.

No real info, just a hunch following Goldson signing his contract.

All players are at a point now where their profile is good, but if they perform in the CL the way they did in the EL then they really could elevate their careers.

It works best for all parties for them to sign.

Maybe the clubs claim is they’ve offered and he’s never accepted or declined it.
There's no story here either way.

If he doesn't sign a new deal he needs to be sold this summer regardless so that we can fund a replacement.

He

He’s been inconsistent since he arrived so the burn out is just an excuse. If he’s even half as good as we think then they should be Lining up for him at £10m
He was consistently good from July 21 until Dec 21. Then he went to the African Nations Cup, came back and played until a couple of weeks ago, burn out is entirely possible.
The most talented player at the club.

Regardless whether he has been offered a contract or not, if Aribo hasn't signed an extension soon then we should be actively looking to sell.
He's a terrific player and would be a big loss, but we have to maximise what we can get for him rather than let him run down his contract. I know Goldson signed back on after we all thought he was away, but that was a rarity, the vast majority of players in that position leave for free.

He's shown before that he is happy to see out a contract then leave, we don't want that happening again. If stories of the £10m release clause are true, then that's what we just need to accept even if we know he's worth more.

The problem for Rangers though, is if Aribo doesn't want to move this summer and would again prefer to once again run his contract down and leave for free next summer.

His agent could no doubt line up an attractive deal for him, with a bumper signing on fee.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that though and he either signs a new deal (unlikely imo), or we shift him for the £10 million release clause.

As I said previously though, Aribo holds all the aces and there's not much we can do about it mate.

Back