Joe Aribo has not turned down a new Rangers contract

Just replace him with another 25 year old internationalist then?

Consign every youth player to "too risky"?

Of course not, but there’s a difference between giving Lowry much more game time this season (which we should be doing as the boy looks extremely talented) and chucking him in to the space vacated by an incredibly consistent player who averaged just shy of 50 games a season in his 3 seasons at the club.

I’d love Lowry to step in to that space and make it his own and deliver on the same basis, but it seems fanciful to expect that he will do in the short term.

He hasn’t.

But that’s how this much discussed ‘model’ is supposed to work, short term drop in quality, but the opportunity to develop further.

We still have Hagi to come back. Another very good young number 10, and I’m never in favour of signing people to fill the void of an injured player.

What do we do when we have three good players/prospects fighting for one role.
The “model” is good in theory but we’re in a 2-horse race and fans aren’t going to accept relying on players who aren’t ready

Much better players than Lowry have struggled at Ibrox - it’s not fair on Lowry or the fans to expect him to fill the void of one of our better players over last 3 seasons

We have 5 subs again next season, Lowry will rightly get minutes and improve but he’s not ready to step up yet

Hagi is unreliable too. If we bring in the reported £10m and don’t replace him, the club deserve every bit of criticism coming their way.

That’ll be what, £26m in player sales + manager £ and we’re hoping a 19yo can step up. Jesus

The “model” is good in theory but we’re in a 2-horse race and fans aren’t going to accept relying on players who aren’t ready

Much better players than Lowry have struggled at Ibrox - it’s not fair on Lowry or the fans to expect him to fill the void of one of our better players over last 3 seasons

We have 5 subs again next season, Lowry will rightly get minutes and improve but he’s not ready to step up yet

Hagi is unreliable too. If we bring in the reported £10m and don’t replace him, the club deserve every bit of criticism coming their way.

That’ll be what, £26m in player sales + manager £ and we’re hoping a 19yo can step up. Jesus
I agree. Been saying it for ages.

Suppose it’s Gio’s decision here, does he want a replacement or does he want to go with what he’s got, adapt and develop the two 10s or sign someone to fill the void.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the former. Like I’ve said though, I know large elements of our fan base won’t be happy with that.

As a side point I think you’re being harsh on Hagi, was brilliant the first 18 months here in terms of contribution. That’s for another thread though.

The Athletic article also said as much, folk are just unable to connect the dots and would rather rant.

GS could have communicated it a bit clearer mind you, loves a riddle!
It’s not a rant when it’s clear as day MD’s post came from the club and caused nothing but confusion mixed with hope to some people that he wasn’t going to leave.

If the club want us to take fan media seriously then they need to think about what it is that’s going out, and who they’re putting it out to.

Let’s be honest here, Aribo making it clear he wasn’t going to stay is as good as him turning down a new contract, instead of giving fans straight information the club/fan media would rather try and one up the main media. Just tell us straight or say nothing.

It’s not a rant when it’s clear as day MD’s post came from the club and caused nothing but confusion mixed with hope to some people that he wasn’t going to leave.

If the club want us to take fan media seriously then they need to think about what it is that’s going out, and who they’re putting it out to.

Let’s be honest here, Aribo making it clear he wasn’t going to stay is as good as him turning down a new contract, instead of giving fans straight information the club/fan media would rather try and one up the main media. Just tell us straight or say nothing.

GS always talks in riddles. I don’t think it was intentionally to cause confusion, the Athletic article is pretty clear and saying the same thing, just better!

This on the same day Southampton have just spent £12 mill on a midfielder from Man City (Romeo Lavia) who hasn’t played one minute of premier league football.

The point of it was to let the fans know he wasn’t knocking back a contract and doesn’t want us to think he is leaving on bad terms or didn’t appreciate his time at Rangers

The Athletic article also says as much.
It’s more that it hinted that the papers knew nothing and he wasn’t away. Maybe I’ve read it wrong but I don’t think I’m the only one. Seemed to be trying to get one up other media outlets.

It's not the first time either. Happened with Gerrard. "No contact has been made" only to confirm it an hour later etc etc.

It's spinning the truth and will just make people skeptical and overanalyze anything that comes out of the club and that's not a good look. It makes you lose trust in the club / company.

One of the best examples of a company that try to spin everything was Microsoft during the XB1 and they lost trust completely and anything they put out - wether spin or genuine &clear, was overanalyzed for something negative and it became toxic. I don't think the club is anywhere near as bad as that, but they have to be careful what they're doing here.

This news served from the club re: aribo and gerrard served no purpose except to confuse people, knowing full well he was likely away. In situations like that you either be honest or shut up and wait for an official announcement.

We convinced a promising but unproven young player to come to Rangers, we stole him for around £300k. To attract him to us, we agreed a £10m release clause, probably thinking, if he invokes that in a couple of years we will have done very well.

He’s been a real success story, contributed to 55 and Euro final run. We were good for him, he was good for us.

We now sell him for £10m in the final year of his contract. A massive profit and the very definition of a player trading model.

Well done Rangers, well done Joe, thanks and best of luck mate. We move on.

We might never have got him if there wasnt the release clause. He came at £300k, we have done well out of this.
Exactly, we might have agreed the clause when we signed him not even knowing if he would even make the first team and probably thought if we get 10 million for a 300k player we'll be doing alright.

Sky sports news saying Southampton in advanced talks to sign Aribo for £10 million plus add-ons. If true thanks Joe Aribo for the memories and good luck for the future.

We convinced a promising but unproven young player to come to Rangers, we stole him for around £300k. To attract him to us, we agreed a £10m release clause, probably thinking, if he invokes that in a couple of years we will have done very well.

He’s been a real success story, contributed to 55 and Euro final run. We were good for him, he was good for us.

We now sell him for £10m in the final year of his contract. A massive profit and the very definition of a player trading model.

Spot on mate.

Frustrating he's in the final year of his contract as we would have hit the jackpot punting him on otherwise.

“much better players tham Lowry have struggled”

You really haven’t seen this boy have you?

Bookmarking your post

I refer the right honorable gentleman to post 284

£10m for Joe Aribo should see the fraud squad phoned in because that is day light robbery.

We got him as raw potential for a steal. Looks like someones getting him as a fully developed top European footballer for a steal.

Good luck Joe. Thanks for 55 and the absolute pinnacle Ive felt as a Rangers fan for that brief period we were ahead in Seville”

If a release clause is activated, does that negate any future sell on percentage or can that still be negotiated?

“much better players tham Lowry have struggled”

You really haven’t seen this boy have you?

Bookmarking your post
From what I’ve seen, Lowry will play his part next season but he shouldn’t be considered a genuine starter, nor should we be comfortable with him being Aribos replacement yet

Bookmark it all you want, I’m not saying Lowry doesn’t look impressive but I don’t think he’s ready to be relied upon for 60/70 minutes a game for 40+ matches across the season. Him starting in europe would give me the fear, as I said better players than him have struggled

I have full faith in Lowry coming in and doing the business on a consistent basis if he is given the chance, age didn't do Barry and Derek Ferguson no harm or Durrant to name a few.

I refer the right honorable gentleman to post 284

£10m for Joe Aribo should see the fraud squad phoned in because that is day light robbery.

We got him as raw potential for a steal. Looks like someones getting him as a fully developed top European footballer for a steal.

Good luck Joe. Thanks for 55 and the absolute pinnacle Ive felt as a Rangers fan for that brief period we were ahead in Seville”
:)) Spot on sir. I got here late to the party, I honestly didn’t read that far back

I have full faith in Lowry coming in and doing the business on a consistent basis if he is given the chance, age didn't do Barry and Derek Ferguson no harm or Durrant to name a few.
Lowry becoming a sensation (which he 100% is going to be) fills the gap left by Aribo. And from the academy. The model we have spoken of for 30 years.

From what I’ve seen, Lowry will play his part next season but he shouldn’t be considered a genuine starter, nor should we be comfortable with him being Aribos replacement yet

Bookmark it all you want, I’m not saying Lowry doesn’t look impressive but I don’t think he’s ready to be relied upon for 60/70 minutes a game for 40+ matches across the season. Him starting in europe would give me the fear, as I said better players than him have struggled
Alot of Rangers fans going to eat their words.

Ive been guilty of it in the past

We’ll have Lowry for a season, maybe two, and make a fortune.

The boy is going to the very top

Without reading the whole thread,there’s absolutely no chance the aribo deal only cost us 300k,which a few recent posters have said,£10 mill release clause is criminally low.

Without reading the whole thread,there’s absolutely no chance the aribo deal only cost us 300k,which a few recent posters have said,£10 mill release clause is criminally low.

The fee we paid Charlton was £300k.

Shame if he goes. Him along with Alfie and Bassey are probably the only ones who I'd feel pretty sad about leaving.

£2m in total.

All though those additional fees are always there, and even greater in these types of deals with a highly sought after player on a cross border.

It’s still very good business.
“Very good business” is a push for
£2m in total.

All though those additional fees are always there, and even greater in these types of deals with a highly sought after player on a cross border.

It’s still very good business.
decent business I would say,we’re being short changed massively for what we should’ve got for him.

“Very good business” is a push for

decent business I would say,we’re being short changed massively for what we should’ve got for him.
Would you rather we let him sign for Celtic, or one of the Premier League clubs and missed out on him?

This release clause (which was agreed when he was coming from league 1) allowed us to enjoy his talent for a few years, and make a tidy profit on him.

Would you rather we let him sign for Celtic, or one of the Premier League clubs and missed out on him?

This release clause (which was agreed when he was coming from league 1) allowed us to enjoy his talent for a few years, and make a tidy profit on him.
He should have been offered an improved deal with the release clause upped or taken out,it was obvious from pretty early on he was going to make us a massive profit.

He should have been offered an improved deal with the release clause upped or taken out,it was obvious from pretty early on he was going to make us a massive profit.
Why would he accept that when he had it put in, in the first place? What does he gain from that?

Do you not think the club tried to get him to renew?

Aribo has previous for running down his contract, it’s how we signed him.
No idea if the club tried earlier on do you? Was never reported,only ever hear Wilson saying how comfortable he is with our players contracts,wish I was.

No idea if the club tried earlier on do you? Was never reported,only ever hear Wilson saying how comfortable he is with our players contracts,wish I was.
Who would report it?

Nowhere reported Goldson had been offered a new deal.

Before any ‘contract’ is presented they’ll likely ask if the player is interested, if the player has stated he has no intention of signing on, why would you offer them a contract?

For the patter about Wilson’s ‘relaxed’ he’s gotten 4 of our main assets extended, two of which are the best prospects in years.

Who would report it?

Nowhere reported Goldson had been offered a new deal.

Before any ‘contract’ is presented they’ll likely ask if the player is interested, if the player has stated he has no intention of signing on, why would you offer them a contract?
It’s never been reported goldson or any other player has been offered a new deal,what are you on about? Haha

It’s never been reported goldson or any other player has been offered a new deal,what are you on about? Haha
Where was it reported Goldson had been offered a new deal, before it was announced?

I don’t remember it being reported anywhere.

He would’ve gained a massive wage rise and would’ve still have got his move after what he’s done with us.

Mate, look at that contract in its entirity?

Aribo signed for us knowing he wanted to play Premiership football by the end of it. The whole contract was structured that way. He bet on himself and he bet on us offering him a pathway. He would never have restructured it. Listen to his language now. He wants to play there. He loved his time here but hes goal orientated.

It is what it is. A minimum of £9M profit is excellent. Not all players in Aribos position work out.

Where was it reported Goldson had been offered a new deal, before it was announced?

I don’t remember it being reported anywhere.
Apart from in press conferences,media & guys like heart and hand on social media I never seen it reported anywhere either ;)

Mate, look at that contract in its entirity?

Aribo signed for us knowing he wanted to play Premiership football by the end of it. The whole contract was structured that way. He bet on himself and he bet on us offering him a pathway. He would never have restructured it. Listen to his language now. He wants to play there. He loved his time here but hes goal orientated.

It is what it is. A minimum of £9M profit is excellent. Not all players in Aribos position work out.
Mate you & many others think it’s an excellent deal,many others won’t,all about opinions.

Apart from in press conferences,media & guys like heart and hand on social media I never seen it reported anywhere either ;)
Fair enough if that’s the case, don’t remember either of those and don’t remember it being reported anywhere that he’d been offered a deal

I remember Gio saying he didn’t think Goldson would sign a new deal, don’t think he referred to a ‘contract offer’

As I said, I don’t think the club would offer Aribo a contract, if he’s told them in their initial talks he has no intention of signing it and want to honour his initial deal.

Last edited:
He was always going to be here for the duration of his contract but no further. 10m was the most we could get at any point. We knew that. He knew that. Other clubs knew that.

Good deal all round.

Now, step forward Alex Lowry. Your time is now.

Back