Joe Aribo has not turned down a new Rangers contract

If he has a £10 million release clause surely we’re not caving at £6 million. That’s derisory

£6m is farcical. For a player who played the most games in world football this season, can play about 5 positions comfortably, scored in a EL final and is about to turn 26 years old. Regardless of contract situation, he has a 10m release clause, surely the club could try and work that out. If the fee really is 6m then those involved in this deal should be gone.

£6m clearly a disgustingly low price for someone of Aribo's talents. That said, it could be that we've forgone some initial money up-front to enable, say, a 30% sell-on clause in future. If something like that were the case (and we are still likely to receive the £10m from the initial deal) then I'd be more accepting given the money likely to come in for him in future.

We just don't know the make up of the deal.
The problem is that the operational team at the club have fupped up so many times that they have no credit in the bank with the supporters (justifiably so imo).

The support doesn't trust them to make good decisions at crucial moments.

Ornstein's exclusive stated Rangers would only accept total package of 10m, so 6m up front with the rest in add ons is probably correct. Let's hope it's clarified.

£6m is a disgrace, I simply don't understand football Aribo is a better full back than Hickey let alone everything else he can do

No-one really knows what the fee will be. Whilst it may not be as much as we want we've still done very well out this signing. He may have indicated he won't extend his contract and people would question the board even more of he left for nothing.
Not well enough unfortunately.

Even if it is £6m plus add on's it's a hell of a lot better than one more season of Joe Aribo - a player that doesn't want to extend his stay - and £0 in transfer fees. We'd have a player going through the motions and questioned anytime he had a poor match.

People would lose their shit at that, guaranteed.

Get him out (by no means do I mean that in a horrible way), get the money in and get players signed.

Just about come to terms with the £10m release clause. Utter disgrace if it’s £6m. I’d rather keep him for a year than get £6m
I would too.

It would make no sense what so ever to let him go for that fee, why would we not wait for other bids too?

I mean Southampton are a club who will never again win anything, he would be playing a season or two for a team that are utterly shit tbh.
Where if he fails to perform in a team that are garbage, he won’t get a move up the ladder.

Risky move imo.

If it's £6m upfront with another £4m with add-ons which are pretty much guaranteed with the caveat of a sell-on clause then it's better than straight up £10m imo.

That said, I feel we have left ourselves with our trousers round our ankles on this by a) allowing a buyout clause at such a paltry amount, £10m is chicken feed in modern terms and b) I am seriously worried about how we allow so many key players to get within a year on their contract ending. We appear pretty amateurish on this front.

10 million is not too shabby, not sure how i feel about Aribo, he can be brilliant but hasn't kicked a ball since the African nations cup.
Aribo has given us some great moments and has some lovely skill, but £10m could be spent on a player with much better consistency who fits Gio's style of play better and hopefully one that turns up more consistently in big games such as against the Filth.

People are confusing resilience, with consistency with Joe I think. He was very resilient, always available and played so much football. But was he consistently at the level we expected or was he under par for large parts? Apart from the goal in the Europa League final, which in the end didn't mean much, he was very poor after AFCON.

£10m might be below his "market value" but it's still fantastic business and fits the model and we can strengthen from that and go again.

Last edited:
£6m eh, reminds me of this

9c87148060fcb38c3bc97ac2a2f3f389.jpg

Southampton have came to the table with we paid that to the mentally challengeds for Armstrong with a year left on his deal - we’ll give yous that up front and another 4m in add ons. %^*& all you can do when it’s in contract.

He cost buttons, gave a lot to the team during his time, wants to now leave and will make us a healthy profit.

It would be superb business.
Seriously, it wouldn’t.

Patterson was superb business.

Us selling the most played footballer in world football last season for less than half of what we got for a sub.

lol, no - just no.

He cost buttons, gave a lot to the team during his time, wants to now leave and will make us a healthy profit.

It would be superb business.
I don’t get this take on it. You buy a house for 100k and after 3 years it’s worth £500k. Your neighbours are selling theirs for £500k. Would you be happy to take £300k then run about saying it was great business. People would quite rightly tell you, you’ve been bumped and for the rest of your life offer you less money for your property.

Southampton have came to the table with we paid that to the mentally challengeds for Armstrong with a year left on his deal - we’ll give yous that up front and another 4m in add ons. %^*& all you can do when it’s in contract.

We turn around and say ok, but we have other interested parties and he’s our player still.

Join the queue, ya one trophy load of shite.

We turn around and say ok, but we have other interested parties and he’s our player still.

Join the queue, ya one trophy load of shite.

When there’s a 10m release clause and Southampton offer a deal that triggers it there is legally f*ck all we can do about it
- he’s theirs for 10m - nothing more, nothing less. There’s no point in moaning about it.

When there’s a 10m release clause and Southampton offer a deal that triggers it there is legally f*ck all we can do about it
- he’s theirs for 10m - nothing more, nothing less. There’s no point in moaning about it.
If the figures quoted are correct then they haven't triggered it tho. £6m is way off £10m

Dissapoining that they are letting Aribo go for just 6 million plus add ons but if he wants to go then that's better than having someone who is not fully committed.Joe always struck me as an all or nothing player when it came to form and lack of focus and killing games off last year needlessly cost us the league.(I'm not laying the blame at his door)
Considering the amount that he cost then if nothing else, despite not being as high as his talent deserves, its good profit.If he does go then I wish him the best as he was a really exciting player who was highly influential when at his best.

Very disappointing if the £6m up front is true. I can only assume Southampton have stitched us up because of a flaw in the wording around the release clause. Only alternative being Joe saying Southampton were the only club he was interested in and forcing us to stick or twist. Which might be the more likely issue. Otherwise, Rangers would surely have simply waited for one of the other interested clubs to put in a better offer. As I’ve often stated, virtually all the power is with the player these days.

Still, ‘player trading’, eh? I’m sure some will be happy.:rolleyes:

Highly doubt he knows the exact figures, far to many getting there knickers in a twist about the 6m figure quoted.

Jonny McFarlane
Joe Aribo’s exit from Rangers looming. The clubs are close to agreeing a £10m package plus a significant sell-on. For a £300k signing with a year left on his contract this surely represents a really solid piece of business.

I'm guessing that because they got him for such a small amount that they didn't have the foresight to see his true future value.This is really insighless when you consider that he was recognised as one for the future back then and his most likely future transfer destination would be to a league whose clubs are rolling in cash.
If it comes to pure profit its a good deal but it could have been great if they had anticipated his true value.Considering the money paid for some of the duffers in the EPL someone should have seen the future for Aribo more clearly when it came to clauses.But as you say no point in moaning I'll definitely miss him though.

Highly doubt he knows the exact figures, far to many getting there knickers in a twist about the 6m figure quoted.

Jonny McFarlane
Joe Aribo’s exit from Rangers looming. The clubs are close to agreeing a £10m package plus a significant sell-on. For a £300k signing with a year left on his contract this surely represents a really solid piece of business.
To me sounds like he’s been told to put a positive spin on things. I don’t trust a word coming out of rangers via the likes of Johnny McFarlane.

The significant sell on won’t be significant. He probably won’t be sold on anyway because teams like Southampton don’t need to sell unless it’s van dijk money coming in.

If you had told me in January that we’d sell Joe Aribo for £6m +add ons I’d have thought it was some of the worst business I have ever heard at a football club but here we are.

Seriously, it wouldn’t.

Patterson was superb business.

Us selling the most played footballer in world football last season for less than half of what we got for a sub.

lol, no - just no.
I don’t think you understand this….

I'm guessing that because they got him for such a small amount that they didn't have the foresight to see his true future value.This is really insighless when you consider that he was recognised as one for the future back then and his most likely future transfer destination would be to a league whose clubs are rolling in cash.
If it comes to pure profit its a good deal but it could have been great if they had anticipated his true value.Considering the money paid for some of the duffers in the EPL someone should have seen the future for Aribo more clearly when it came to clauses.But as you say no point in moaning I'll definitely miss him though.
how do you know his agent didn’t insist on a £10 million sell on,clause, if you are signing a player for nowt hen getting a £10 million sell on clause is good business

I don’t think you understand this….

I understand it perfectly.

The clause is £10m.

We are allegedly accepting £6m plus add-ons.

Add-on’s we might get, as no one knows what the future holds.
So on the weight of it, we are the ones running a risk of losing out on an asset true value, that’s way underpriced in the first instance.

I understand it perfectly.

The clause is £10m.

We are allegedly accepting £6m plus add-ons.

Add-on’s we might get, as no one knows what the future holds.
So on the weight of it, we are the ones running a risk of losing out on an asset true value, that’s way underpriced in the first instance.
I was replying to your point of selling a player for less than half what we got for Patterson

If it's £6m upfront with another £4m with add-ons which are pretty much guaranteed with the caveat of a sell-on clause then it's better than straight up £10m imo.

That said, I feel we have left ourselves with our trousers round our ankles on this by a) allowing a buyout clause at such a paltry amount, £10m is chicken feed in modern terms and b) I am seriously worried about how we allow so many key players to get within a year on their contract ending. We appear pretty amateurish on this front.

Think the board let the Gerrard factor influence them too much.

Fine when he was committed to the club and was owning the decisions. Less so when he hightailed it a few months later.

Even if it is £6m plus add on's it's a hell of a lot better than one more season of Joe Aribo - a player that doesn't want to extend his stay - and £0 in transfer fees. We'd have a player going through the motions and questioned anytime he had a poor match.

People would lose their shit at that, guaranteed.

Get him out (by no means do I mean that in a horrible way), get the money in and get players signed.
I agree.
Aribo is only a good player when he is playing well or even interested in playing well.
You can’t help but wonder what mood he’ll be in if kept beyond his wishes.

The £10m clause only reads poor because he’s turned out to be a pretty decent player worth a fair bit more.
Maybe that was the clause that got him to Rangers in the first place.
Always easy in hindsight.

£6m now or £0m in a years time for a player who, while he loves the club, doesn’t want to stay.

It’s not rocket science to know we’re having to accept a deal or lose him for nothing.

£6m now or £0m in a years time for a player who, while he loves the club, doesn’t want to stay.

It’s not rocket science to know we’re having to accept a deal or lose him for nothing.
Add ons won't take it to 10 million, good talented players still going for peanuts

If he has a £10 million release clause surely we’re not caving at £6 million. That’s derisory
I’m of the impression we will be taking 6m and add ons in favour of negotiating a sell on percentage, as I don’t think that’s possible if he is sold through the release clause.

Seen now it's 6 million plus add ons that Romano has tweeted...

Farcical. Would rather keep him for the year and let him go for nothing than such a low few tbh.

We must be woeful at negotiating or need the money badly to accept that fee so early on in the transfer window.

how do you know his agent didn’t insist on a £10 million sell on,clause, if you are signing a player for nowt hen getting a £10 million sell on clause is good business
Fail to see your point. Do you know his agent did this? Why throw in needless speculation.

The only fact appears to be the case that he will be leaving.
If you would like to go and reread my two posts on this subject amoungst other opinions I've clearly acknowledged that's it's a good profit.

Seen now it's 6 million plus add ons that Romano has tweeted...

Farcical. Would rather keep him for the year and let him go for nothing than such a low few tbh.

We must be woeful at negotiating or need the money badly to accept that fee so early on in the transfer window.

What about his wage over the season? We also have to factor that into it TBH, he will still need paid if he is here another year.

Fundamentally just chucking away 6 million for no apparent sensible reason.

What about his wage over the season? We also have to factor that into it TBH, he will still need paid if he is here another year.

Fundamentally just chucking away 6 million for no apparent sensible reason.
But he is worth a lot more than 6 million however.

Played 150 games in three seasons, scored in a European final as well. Been one of the best players in the league and still only 25.

For comparison, they sold Ajer for double that to Brentford with a year left on his deal. Sold Armstrong to the same club for 7 million about 4-5 years ago with a year left on his deal.

So why the f*** are we accepting 6 million is my point? Baffling tbh and Aribo doesn't strike me as type of player demanding to leave ASAP.

But he is worth a lot more than 6 million however.

Played 150 games in three seasons, scored in a European final as well. Been one of the best players in the league and still only 25.

For comparison, they sold Ajer for double that to Brentford with a year left on his deal. Sold Armstrong to the same club for 7 million about 4-5 years ago with a year left on his deal.

So why the f*** are we accepting 6 million is my point? Baffling tbh and Aribo doesn't strike me as type of player demanding to leave ASAP.

He isn't worth more than that if he is on an expiring deal with a release clause in his contract TBH.

I find comparisons with Celtic a bit tedious personally, we are a totally different football club to them who have had to deal with totally different circumstances.

We were fighting from the shit up, totally see why we offered a player like Aribo a favorable circumstance in his contract in all honesty, been worth it to get him and have had him

Aribo demanding to leave or not is a bit redundant, the only intent of his of any use to us at the moment is signing a new deal. If he isn't we clearly need to accept bids we actually have on the table rather than imagined bids we might never receive that see him walk out the door for nothing

6 million for him, and his salary available for a replacement more than fits in with the trading model the club have been trying to drum into people

Back