Joey Barton acting like a walloper saga rumbles on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really follow what he says as I think he's a tool but isn't his point that the ladies game (Can I say that?) Should not be given the same exposure as the men's? Similarly ladies commentating on the men's game does seem to have been hi-jacked by the fairer sex which could have the knock on affect of keeping male commentators out of the game.

Why would you not be able to call ladies football "the ladies game"?

And when has it been getting the same exposure as the mens game? Its not even remotely close to having the same amount of TV time.

And when has it been getting the same exposure as the mens game? Its not even remotely close to having the same amount of TV time.
For the amount of folk attending and watching it on TV, it is very much over exposed.

Surely he's proved his crackpot credentials by now? Come on, Matt and Rickie. Let him on your conspiracy nut podcast.

I don't think a 17 year old girl should be exempt from criticism per say.

If it was a 17 year old man playing for a men's professional team he wouldn't be, so why should a female?

Having said that though the personal abuse is totally unacceptable and Barton is still a complete cock
Correct.
Criticism and questions are one thing, but personal abuse seems to prevalent to me.

The "Ladies" comment was tongue in cheek but you can take it literally if you like, I think his point is valid if poorly made, as I say he is a tool.

Fell short of what he could have achieved as a player because of his attitude and personality.
Gave management a go and was found out.
Now desperately trying to manufacture an online persona that will get him a bit of attention.
Destined for obscurity.

When Barton is interviewed on camera and speaking like he was with Piers Morgan, he actually talks quite a lot of sense and is quite articulate when getting his views across but he completely lets himself down on twitter with his derogatory comments. It's as if he's got a personality disorder where he's an absolute arsehole on social media.

For the amount of folk attending and watching it on TV, it is very much over exposed.

up here - v little coverage on a piss poor channel

in England - higher profile, more on TV
but take Arsenal women
average attendance this season is higher than 10 EPL clubs

the Scottish game is way way behind the English womens one
partly due to the EFA seeing potential and promoting it massively - reaping rewards in increased attendances, better national team + winning something

"For the amount of folk attending and watching on TV" was the key part of my post. The exposure it receives is way over the top.

Arsenal have an average attendance of over 35k. Man U and Chelsea both over 10k.

I dont personally watch it, but it is growing massively down south.

What are the TV viewing figures out of interest? Guessing you have the figures to hand as you mentioned it twice now?

"For the amount of folk attending and watching on TV" was the key part of my post. The exposure it receives is way over the top.
What level of exposure should it be getting?

There are Championship and League 1 games shown live on BBC Scotland and Alba all the time with attendances far lower than a Women’s Old Firm or Cup Final. Are those leagues receiving too much exposure too?

Arsenal have an average attendance of over 35k. Man U and Chelsea both over 10k.

What are the TV viewing figures out of interest? Guessing you have the figures to hand as you mentioned it twice now?
There was 77k at the last woman’s cup final in England.

As you say it’s growing down south. It’s strange that some seem threatened by it.

When Barton is interviewed on camera and speaking like he was with Piers Morgan, he actually talks quite a lot of sense and is quite articulate when getting his views across but he completely lets himself down on twitter with his derogatory comments. It's as if he's got a personality disorder where he's an absolute arsehole on social media.
He can actually be quite funny when making pertinent points that otherwise wouldn't be made - But he's completely lost control recently and just comes across as an idiot.

He's always been on the edge of cuckoo.

Is the increased amount of exposure it receives not because they want to encourage more women (and specifically at youth level) to get involved in it?

I don’t know why it bothers folk, it’s not like they are dropping coverage of men’s football to show women’s matches.

And the other clubs attendances?

No idea of viewing figures. But I don't know a single person that watches women's football on tv, not one. And I include my own daughter in that.

Where is the point in slagging off a 17 year old lassie for making a mistake playing football?.
The fact is Joey Barton is a man who needs to feel relevant and he is using this wee lassie as an easy target for him use to make him visible to anyone who is interested in anything the c*#t has to say.
Eventually he will fade away to f*@k all.

Fell short of what he could have achieved as a player because of his attitude and personality.
Gave management a go and was found out.
Now desperately trying to manufacture an online persona that will get him a bit of attention.
Destined for obscurity.
Decent summation mate.

He's even dipped his toe in the puddle of politics when he appeared on Question Time. :D

Although I'm not sure his ego would permit total obscurity.

Regardless, the guy's an arsehole.

Womens game not for me don't think I've ever watched a game fully, yet there is an audience and a following so fair play to them.
I enjoy watching women's football. Sure, it's for those who are ok with the game being played at 75%, but that's fine.

That there's a following is definitely true. Sure, it's patchy and selective but it's definitely there. Just a little for instance.

Alisha Lehman - Swiss player at Aston Villa has almost 17 million followers on Instagram:

IzrdMJl.png

Rangers FC - the most successful team in football - has fewer than 800K!

sVyJEmG.png

Edit: Chelsea FC Women have 5x the Instagram following that we do!

wMpGKq8.png

That's the first I've actually read his outburst. Where do you even begun with that...

He is right about the biological difference part. Obviously not how he has said it! Women are slower, weaker, smaller, have less lung capacity.

Yet, they play on the same size pitch, with the same size goals, for the same time as men.

Female goalies are probably, on average, around half a foot smaller than men's yet still have the same size goals to defend. The Partick Thistle goal at the weekend was an absolute screamer and im taking away nothing from that. I actually thought our goalie did really well on getting anywhere near it.

Wonder if modifications are needed, much in the way that athletics has smaller hurdles, a lighter shot putt and javelin for women.
The top teams in women's football i.e. the women's epl, ourselves, the mutants and Glasgow City (Hearts improving too) don't tend to play out high scoring games and a reduction in goal size would probably be detrimental.
It's when the top teams play the part time teams, the big score lines and gulf in class are highlighted.

Smaller goals, smaller pitches and shorter games are only going to aid the poor teams and not really enhance the women's game at all.

Nobody complains about women running the 100metres slower, throwing the shot less further or swimming slower. That is just nature at work and expectations are not as high.
The same should be applied to the women's game.

Lower your expectations and don't expect the goalies to play like Jack Butland or the midfielders to zip the ball about like Modric then folk might start to enjoy their games for what it is and not hate it for what it's not.

Last edited:
Le Tissier, pish? Shearer, pish? Hoddle, pish?

That lot have three medals between them.
Shearer was twice the record transfer in the UK (and once the World) and totally justified it. Broke loads of scoring records, captained his country at major championships, gambled guaranteed silverware to try to win something for his boyhood club.

The other two were great entertainers who we all remember goals and moments of skill from vividly.

All three are well remembered and respected for what they did on the pitch.

What do you remember from Barton’s playing career? Getting stupidly sent off v Man City and relegating his club, putting on a French accent, and shiting it and being put in his place by a player of Scott Brown’s very limited ability.

Shearer was twice the record transfer in the UK (and once the Workd) and totally justified it. Broke loads of scoring records, captained his country at major championships, gambled guaranteed silverware to try to win something for his boyhood club.

The other two were great entertainers who we all remember goals and moments of skill from vividly.

All three are well remembered and respected for what they did on the pitch.

What do you remember from Barton’s playing career? Getting stupidly sent off v Man City and relegating his club, putting on a French accent, and shiting it and being put in his place by a player of Scott Brown’s very limited ability.
The point was about medals, and that it proves how good you were. That is clearly not the case. Football is littered with great players who didn't win many medals.

The top teams in women's football i.e. the women's epl, ourselves, the mutants and Glasgow City (Hearts improving too) don't tend to play out high scoring games and a reduction in goal size would probably be detrimental.
It's when the top teams play the part time teams, the big score lines and gulf in class are highlighted.

Smaller goals, smaller pitches and shorter games are only going to aid the poor teams and not really enhance the women's game at all.

Nobody complains about women running the 100metres slower, throwing the shot less further or swimming slower. That is just nature at work and expectations are not as high.
The same should be applied to the women's game.

Don't expect the goalies to play like Jack Butland or the midfielders to zip the ball about like Modric then you might start to enjoy their games for hate it for what it's not.
I do enjoy the games, I have attended games and my young daughter loves them too. I am not knocking it. Merely stating that women are at a physical disadvantage to the men. I'm not talking a huge difference to goal sizes but there will be more areas of the goal that the female keepers will just have no chance with due to their height.

Re shot putt, the shot is lighter for women who still throw shorter distances than then men. Had that not been modified the differences would be even more vast. Was just using it as a comparison where the sport/event looks the same but just has some mods to suit.

I do enjoy the games, I have attended games and my young daughter loves them too. I am not knocking it. Merely stating that women are at a physical disadvantage to the men. I'm not talking a huge difference to goal sizes but there will be more areas of the goal that the female keepers will just have no chance with due to their height.

Re shot putt, the shot is lighter for women who still throw shorter distances than then men. Had that not been modified the differences would be even more vast. Was just using it as a comparison where the sport/event looks the same but just has some mods to suit.
I wasn't specifically aiming the latter part of my post at you, but more the haters.

The fact that women throw shorter distances with lighter shot putts only enhances my argument.
Nobody bothers that they don't throw as far as the men.

Expectations are lower, but folk still enjoy the spectacle.

Derogatory?

Try both sexist and homophobic.

A few on this thread missing the point completely: this is nothing to do with the quality of woman's football or how deserving it is of the platform it currently enjoys.

Doesn't help when the other thread had "staff" skewing the debate towards these discussion points.

I back our player(s) unequivocally, sadly many of our own fans do not

He wasn't great elsewhere either.
His career is littered with violent conduct charges on and off the pitch, including a spell in jail and he also stubbed a cigar out in a youth players eye. I'd say that defines him more than anything. A bully, a coward and a prick.
Has ever won a trophy?
The guy is an embarrassment to the sport.

There is / was similar discussion about basketball in the states. They thought about lowering the hoop so they women can dunk it as very few can and the fans like to see a big dunk now and again.

I think the women were against it which would seem crazy.
Cant remember her name but think it was an ex manager of Chelsea's women's team who suggested making the goals smaller and also the pitch. She was hounded for it.

Doesn't take away from the fact that Barton is a waste of oxygen.

The pricks prick and to go against the boss on here, he is absolutely not an intelligent man.

Where is the point in slagging off a 17 year old lassie for making a mistake playing football?.
The fact is Joey Barton is a man who needs to feel relevant and he is using this wee lassie as an easy target for him use to make him visible to anyone who is interested in anything the c*#t has to say.
Eventually he will fade away to f*@k all.

taking the whole game in context
she made a mistake for the opening goal - it happens (happened last night to Englands "number1")

she went on to keep the score down in the 2nd half with a string of excellent saves
overall a very good showing for a 17yo in her first cup final playing against seasoned pros & full time players of higher quality

I wasn't specifically aiming the latter part of my post at you, but more the haters.

The fact that women throw shorter distances with lighter shot putts only enhances my argument.
Nobody bothers that they don't throw as far as the men.

Expectations are lower, but folk still enjoy the spectacle.
Completely, I think athletics do it really well. The event looks the same but we know why distances/times are different and it should 100% continue in this way.

I just think if you had to stand the young Partick keeper next to Super Jack and know that they have to defend the same size goal is a bit unfair (imo).

But I'm just outsider looking in and note other posts in the thread saying players have been asked about it and are against making them smaller. Fair play to them

And the other clubs attendances?

No idea of viewing figures. But I don't know a single person that watches women's football on tv, not one. And I include my own daughter in that.

So your viewing figure debate is based on people you know, and not official figures?

Just googled and first result showed an article about a game in November 2023 which was live on BBC. It had figures of 950K.

I have no idea what the average is for Sky's games, but to say nobody watches it because your household doesn't is quite comical tbf mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back