John Lundstram

This sort of thing happens a lot though. There were calls for Patterson and Bassey to be sacked after the Covid party incident. Kamara has went from great to sh*te to great and who knows what now. Aribo and Kent have had similar journeys in the eyes of some.

It's the whole judging-in-the-moment thing that I've railed against for years (in full knowledge that I've had more than my share of moments too). Some seem to need to do that, but it's not as easy these days to have those ill-judged opinions forgotten about.

Lundstram has changed absolutely everything he was offering.

Its to his credit he has. He did it for himself or maybe somebody had a word.

He now offers something we didnt have and something we needed.

I dont think you will get him out the team now.

It happens. See Barisic in 2019.

Theres nothing wrong with saying Lundstram was offering next to zero for most of his time so far and now offers something we really need.

All of our footballers are exceptional players. What they need to be at the top of their game is confidence.
Agreed. There's not a single player in our entire squad that hasn't showed they're capable. We dont have a shite player. Im sure someone will be along soon to tell me Itten or someone is shite. But i dosagree. They've all showed quality at some point and like you said it's about confidence. Also about the team as a whole being settled and confident. We dont have a single player currently that I want rid of.

I think for the first time , Lundstram is like a round peg into a round hole , even when he was motm for 3 or 4 games it didn’t really seem to suit Rangers .

Theres nothing wrong with saying Lundstram was offering next to zero for most of his time so far and now offers something we really need.
Brilliant post mate , very well articulated

He was great against hearts , got stuck right in and made some good hard / clean tackles which resulted in us being on the front foot again Last night he looked really in control of everything and dealt with things calmly and effectively. Great couple of weeks from him long may it continue

He looks leaner, more mobile and it’s like his aggression levels have gone through the roof.

I like it. Keep it up John and make yourself a hero with the fans.

He's working his way into form, and that has to be admired. I remember Maurice Edu doing the same thing and it paid off, so Lundstram should be learning from these recent games about what it is to be a key Rangers player. Last night he asserted himself into the play, and played a key part in how the game went. He played a part in Bassey having a good game by providing good cover as well..

Some players take to the team as though they've always been part of it, others take time. Hopefully he will continue to push on and make that spot his own. It can only be to the benefit of the team having him, Jack and Kamara pushing for two slots

I love his strength and ability to keep the ball. Especially when stepping through the lines. We’ve been calling out for it.

Also saw posters calling him slow. He was rapid at times last night.

He was rotten up to the winter break, looked like deadwood and a liability when pressed.

The past two games, he's been excellent and exactly the player we thought we were getting. Now pressing the opposite team high up the park and playing forward passes quick & accurate.

Looks much leaner and sharper as well. Hope he keeps it up. Like being proven wrong by a player, always a bonus.

Delighted for him. He had a terrible start to his Rangers career then as he was starting to turn it round there was a change in manager and his appearances dipped.

Glad he’s been given the chance again to show what he’s made of and hope he’s in the team to stay.

It’s the reason this league hasn’t already been wrapped up, inconsistency. And that goes for the majority of our squad.
But I agree, he’s been excellent the last couple of games.

Classic example of fans writing off a player too early. He is perfectly suited to the game up here. Pace and power, plus he can actually play football. Probably the only centre mid we have that will happily get the head up and spray a 40yrd pass.

Lundstram WAS shite for most of the season - it wasn't just something the moan brigade were exaggerating about. He was off-pace and didn't seem to "get" the Scottish game, as well as contributing to blowing a lead against Malmo with his slow reaction time.

He HAS improved vastly in recent matches, suddenly seems adapted to the speed of the Scottish game, and perhaps our tactics and formation suit him better, too.

John Lundstram's career is characterised by brief purple patches followed by prolonged spells of mediocrity. He is now entering what should be the prime years of his career so perhaps he has realised that he needs to apply himself and make full use of his talent if he is to achieve anything worthwhile in the game. As his last two performances have shown he is capable, so let's hope we benefit from his best.

CL football and winners medals beckon but he needs to show consistently high levels of performance over the next few seasons.

Not sure if there’s already been a thread on this but only 2 weeks ago we had fans willing to release Lundstram on a free. Now he is probably one of the first names in our team. In the last couple games he looks so much fitter and really hungry.
He's been very effective in the last week. Probably because he has had Jack and then Kamara beside him.

Different systems suit different players, the resurgence of Lundstram and Alfie, could be compared to the drop off in Barisic & Tav, we are asking different things from the midfield and wide roles now under Gio, it takes time to adapt.
Given that we dont ask our wingbacks to be as much of an attacking outlet under Gio in comparison to Gerrard, i wonder if 352 becomes a possible formation plan b, as i cant help but think the pace of Sakala/physicality of Alfie would create all kinds of issues for opposing players, whilst still having the width and no10 that Gio likes

I seem to remember Gerrard saying something about him in a press conference after 2 MOTM performances earlier in the season. Along the lines of he couldn't understand why Lundstrum was negative press. Has he took time to adjust to GvB? As poster said earlier, maybe training/playing with Jack.

Must admit , last two games against the Edinburgh haddies he has been really good
Never thought I’d say that as frim what I’d seen up to last Saturday - he was not of the required standard
Not the standard really? He had a run of about 4 or 5 motm's on here recently! Not sure if its the money he is on or something else? I suppose it could be the normal not giving some players the time to settle?

As with all players form can go up and down lets just hope he and the others hold their form and Borna gets the help and support to find his form?

Actually he was motm 4 or 5 games before playing these last two neister, if anything has changed its most likely he has got upto speed of our game?

Not sure if there’s already been a thread on this but only 2 weeks ago we had fans willing to release Lundstram on a free. Now he is probably one of the first names in our team. In the last couple games he looks so much fitter and really hungry.

We have threads on Lundstram every day of the week.

He was getting it tight even for games he wasn’t involved in.

Couple of good performances and it’s now Borna’s turn to be the whipping boy.

He’s still got a lot of convincing to do for me. Yes, he’s been good the last couple of games but he had a run earlier in the season under Gerrard where he had a few decent performances and then went back to months of being incompetent again.

Once he starts dominating the midfield every week and does it against Celtic and in European games, he’ll convince me. Until then, Kamara and Jack are ahead of him in my personal pecking order.

He’s adapted to his surroundings not everyone hits the ground running as they tend to imply must happen and the one thing he could have sat on the bench taking his dough but he hasn’t him Jack Ramsey in the middle of the park and aribo playing in front looks good to me

Honestly can't wait to see the back of him, hides off the ball, way too slow on it, play Lowry instead

Basically my interpretation of him this season prior to the hearts game.

Legitimately eating my words on him based on the last two games. Long may it continue. I will say is that games versus Dortmund and inevitably celtic will be the acid test for him where, if he is to start, we will look to him to control the game and set an example. Much like the last two games, of course. But yes he's been excellent. Would love to see him, Jack and Ramsey when fit as a trio, and give Kamara a break. Only so much passing sideways around the 18 yard box I can take..

Fast becoming a fans favourite.

Him and Jack in the engine room would be brilliant against Dortmund.

He seems to be loving Rangers now. Maybe the shirt was too heavy at first but he's adapting.

Think Lundstram gets more of a hard time because of his wages. He had some good MOTM performances when he got starts earlier in the season too.

He has had poor performances this season but so has everybody.

Really hope he can sustain these performances as he now finally looks like he’s found his position within the team. I just hope he doesn’t lose focus like he did in his previous run of games as he would constantly lose runners and was at fault for too many goals. But the last 2 games he‘s been like a new signing and I think playing alongside jack really helps as he takes control of things more than someone like Kamara which probably helps him.

Back