John Macmillan, former President of the Rangers Supporters Association, has passed away aged 89

I met John a few times some years ago, when he was a BB Captain and I was Company Commander of the Army Cadets locally. A very nice man. RIP.

My dad started taking me to games when I was around 7 or 8 and he was a member of Johns Club (Darroch Park). Great memories and as I got older he always seen me good for tickets.

Was a fine gentleman and he’ll be missed by many.

R.I.P. A true rangers man..grow up almost every article in the paper had a quote from John..
condolences to the family

John Macmillan, former President of the Rangers Supporters Association, has passed away aged 89

John passed away last night in a hospice just five weeks after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. (I never heard him swear so, please, none of the usual expletives about cancer.)

John served the Rangers Supporters Association for many years, guiding it through many trials and tribulations, not least being the Craig Whyte years. He also served on the Committee of the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund.

John started life as a butcher to trade. When the new IBM factory opened in Greenock he was employed as a butcher in the kitchens but subsequently moved into management.

Behind an old-fashioned, almost courtly, reserve there was a keen intellect - slow to anger and always careful about analysing a situation before making a decision.

As well as Rangers, John took great interest in church affairs - being both a Kirk elder and a captain in the Boy's Brigade.

He is survived by his good lady, and son, a daughter and three grandchildren.

And now, alone in the majesty of death, he receives from his friends, family and colleagues that most beautiful of tributes - he was a gentleman.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith" - 2nd Timothy 4:7
Rest easy John.

Deepest condolences to the family circle

A gentleman

Trust God and keep his commandments
For that is the whole duty of man
Amen

A true Rangers man and gentleman.

Thinking of a recent thread on here I sometimes think that there could be room in the Hall Of Fame for folk like John and Jimmy Bell, who although not playing or managing the club were iconic figures within our history.

Knew John through the supporters association. A quiet spoken man and a gentleman. R.I.P John and condolences to his family and friends.

The details I have bene given -

Wednesday 22nd February

11am Largs crematorium followed by a service at
12.20pm in Old Gourock & Ashton Parish Church

I had the pleasure of being in his company many times, he was a true gent and a great rangers man. Safe journey John.

RIP John. Used to travel with the Darroch Park RSC years ago when John was in charge of it.
Thoughts to all his family and friends.

Last edited:
A gentleman I never knew but knew all about through his leadership of the RSA. As the son and grandson of BB Captains going back to pre WW II I know the character of Mr McMillan well. TY sir for serving your community, our club and our God well. Condolences to his family and I reminder from Romans 8 v 38-39…this is just for now, not for eternity….

Romans 8:38-39

New International Version

38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The details I have bene given -

Wednesday 22nd February

11am Largs crematorium followed by a service at
12.20pm in Old Gourock & Ashton Parish Church
These timings are confirmed as correct - the reason for going to Largs is there is a refurb of Greenock Crematorium going on and time slots in there are backed up.

Two very fitting services conducted today by the Rev. David Burt.

It was great to see so many faces present from all of the organisations & walks of life that John touched.

A life well lived, celebrated on what was a beautiful day.

Farewell Mr. Macmillan.

“Well done, thy good & faithful servant. Enter now, into the joy of thy Lord”

John was laid to rest today.

At the crematorium in Largs his coffin was received flanked by a guard of honour provided by the 3rd Gourock company of the Boys Brigade where John was a helper and captain for many years. They were immaculate in shirts, ties, blazers, haversacks, belts, kilts, boots and spats - a real tribute to John by their presence.

In his service the minister celebrated the many aspects of John's long life - his family, his work, the BB, Rangers, his eldership in the Church and service in the Royal Artillery.

Amusingly, John was married in the vestry of Gourock Old and Ashton church (as was common in those days) but he had booked the service not realising it would also be the date of an Old Firm clash - his wife Morag recalled John and the minister, Rev Caskie, bolting out of the door to get the result!

For the record - it was a League Cup tie on 3rd September 1960 at Parkhead - Chalmers scored early for Celtic before Davis and Brand made the final score 2-1 for Rangers.

I have to say there was little sadness in the service as the minister, although duly solemn, delivered a few cheery anecdotes along the way. The crematorium and church were both busy which attests to the high regard in which he was held.

The readings were from Ecclesiasties - To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven - and the Book of John - In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

The service concluded with the congregational lustily singing the Boys Brigade anthem - Will Your Anchor Hold.

John was buried as he had lived - as a Presbyterian gentleman.

Back