John McMaster: The truth about that ‘kiss of life’ on the pitch against Rangers

mdingwall

Administrator
John McMaster: The truth about that ‘kiss of life’ on the pitch against Rangers

Seems he didn't have his throat jumped on or have the "kiss of life" administered to him after all/

the day after i realised the extent to which the media scum in this country will lie to hurt rangers
daily record headline "kiss of life drama at Ibrox" with a pic of mcmaster lying on the ground.

My old man was in the enclosure that day and said that Johnston’s behaviour was reprehensible.

For some reason as he got older, Bud did a lot of very daft things on the pitch and it was damaging to the club. What always annoyed me about it was that when he was younger he seemed to have far better discipline. Players usually calm down a bit and learn sense with experience, but in Bud's case it seemed to go in the opposite direction.

For some reason as he got older, Bud did a lot of very daft things on the pitch and it was damaging to the club. What always annoyed me about it was that when he was younger he seemed to have far better discipline. Players usually calm down a bit and learn sense with experience, but in Bud's case it seemed to go in the opposite direction.
I think it stems back to the Scotland tour of South America before the 1978 WC where he was sent off for getting punched and Scotland’s treatment of him at the WC and basically throwing him to the wolves he just went ‘F&ck you and f@ck the lot of you’

That doesn't look that bad.

Looked like he was trying to step over him and accidently trod on him, easy done when he is flapping about the ground like a fish out the water.

Yellow at its worst :cool:

Willie Miller comes charging over as if he will batter everyone, Bud looks at him and he suddenly thinks the better of it.

Back in those days I always waited behind after the games to get the programme signed, McMaster had a lot of bruising around his throat and you could see the stud marks. Hats off to him though as he signed everything that was handed to him.

McMaster dived.

That’s the sort of bantz the sheep’s bastards would come out with, is it not?

At least McMaster made a full recovery and went on to have a fruitful career without losing out on a few seasons.
Unfortunately Simpson’s attack on Ian Durrant left the talented Rangers midfielder’s career that would be effectively over.
Yeah, not quite over given the way he contributed at times once he eventually was able to return but your general point is spot on.

Clearly a very bad foul and a deserved red card. But, as McMaster himself says, there was no contact with the throat and no kiss of life. Also, as can be seen from the video, Bud stood on him - there was no 'jump' or anything like that.

"Oh and, by the way, he’s still waiting on a get-well card from Ray Kennedy!"

That's a bit off... surely the P&J know Ray Kennedy's story?

Willie Johnston was rightly condemned by the Rangers support and as a separate point I think in his book he says he thought it was Willie Miller.

Compare and contrast with Ian Durrant and how the Sheep view Simpson.

I was there that night, there was a collective wtf round the ground when he did it. Knew he was going off as soon as he did it.

Someone better tell the P&J he might be waiting a while on card from Ray Kennedy. He`s not in the best of health

At least McMaster made a full recovery and went on to have a fruitful career without losing out on a few seasons.
Unfortunately Simpson’s attack on Ian Durrant left the talented Rangers midfielder’s career that would be effectively over.
I get what you are driving at, but in no way shape or form was Durrants career effectively over, he won 5 titles and several cups on his return from injury, he played and scored in the Champions League home and away, scored and was motm in cup finals, he was a pivotal part of arguably our greatest ever team.

Bud had came on as a sub for McLean with 5 minutes to go, he lasted two minutes.

Ten days later they met again at Ibrox in a league match (1-1) Johnston and McMaster both started and finished the game without incident.

gn20.png

I was in the enclosure too.
The old boy said an acquaintance of his that used to stand on the terraces with him had to be restrained from climbing the wall/fence to get a hold of Johnston such was the feeling of disgust with what he had witnessed. He also said that condemnation of Johnston’s actions in the enclosure was almost universal that day.

A shameful sequence of events whichever way you look at it, and pretty cowardly all told.

I get what you are driving at, but in no way shape or form was Durrants career effectively over, he won 5 titles and several cups on his return from injury, he played and scored in the Champions League home and away, scored and was motm in cup finals, he was a pivotal part of arguably our greatest ever team.
Thank you JV. I stand corrected. The point I was alluding to was the fact that Durrant lost out on a part of his career when he was ready to peak.

Met wee bud at a function in Falkirk a couple of years ago asked him about the incident he said he thought he had killed him

Thank you JV. I stand corrected. The point I was alluding to was the fact that Durrant lost out on a part of his career when he was ready to peak.

It is fair to say, and I think most observes will agree, that after that tackle Durrant never achieved the potential that was expected of him - I genuinely believe he had the talent to grow into a superstar, he was that one in a million player.

C’mon mate, leave the hyperbole to others.
The assault by Simpson was a horror and, without doubt curtailed Durrant’s career but it didn’t ruin it.

The assault by Simpson was a horror and, without doubt curtailed Durrant’s career but it didn’t ruin it.
I disagree mate. Durrant’s career was effectively ruined. Ian did himself proud by reaching the levels and achieving the amount of success that he did afterwards, but the guy must mentally recount what might’ve been on a regular basis.

He was never the same player.

The old boy said an acquaintance of his that used to stand on the terraces with him had to be restrained from climbing the wall/fence to get a hold of Johnston such was the feeling of disgust with what he had witnessed. He also said that condemnation of Johnston’s actions in the enclosure was almost universal that day.

A shameful sequence of events whichever way you look at it, and pretty cowardly all told.
Willie Johnston was my childhood idol. He will always have a special place in my heart.

I was in the east enclosure that night.

I cried when I went to bed that night. Because your heroes shouldn't behave like that.

The thing is, he was a marked man and targeted for all his earlier career and he just got on with it. He didn't need to resort to that type of behaviour.

But for all that, I'll always be in love with his cheek and his impudence.

I was 14 and with my Dad and remember the game because of the incident but can't remember any of the condemnation or anything else from the game tbh.

I'm definitely in disagreement here.

That Durrant came back is testament to his own courage, determination and fortitude.

He was in no way the player he was, when he came back after that injury.

Spot on. I was at Pittodrie that day and the tackle was horrific - still angers me to this day that the vast majority of the Scottish media believed Simpson's tackle was just badly mistimed - have they never seen the still photo showing the anger on his face as he ruins Iain's knee.

Thankfully Durrant was strong enough to fight long and hard to resurrect his career. He might not have reached the heights previously expected of him but he went on to win many honours with his beloved Rangers and was a mainstay of probably the best Rangers side of the past 50 years, the team of 92/93.

I was 14 and with my Dad and remember the game because of the incident but can't remember any of the condemnation or anything else from the game tbh.
According to him there was widespread anger around him in the enclosure, a good deal of which was espoused by, like as Gub says above, people who treated Bud as an idol.

Apparently, it was absolutely shocking to witness in the flesh.

Back