Jon McLaughlin Shut Out Stats For Rangers

Texas ranger

Played twenty five games for Rangers. Kept a clean sheet in eighteen of them or 72%. Granted a handful of them have been easier cup games and he’s generally played against bottom half SPFL teams but that’s impressive anyway you look at it. Will do a job for us after AM hangs up his gloves.

should be number 1 for me .don’t have the same confidence in shagger anymore.
McGregor is more likely to make an outstanding save still but if you look overall what McLaughlin offers and we have to be honest and say McGregor has declined significantly this season I agree now

He is much more commanding in his 6 yard box which breeds confidence in the defence and has very good distribution while being solid at everything else

Last edited:
I really like McLaughlin and think he is a very good keeper for us. McGregor can pull off some amazing saves but has let in some howlers as well of late. McLaughlin is actually a decent shot stopper as well but his command of the box is much, much better than McGregor.

For me, I'd be given McLaughlin a run in the team.

I know it was "only Annan" but the cross that he punched away McGregor doesn't get that. Instantly puts the defence under pressure.

Also the passing at the back between his defenders is night and day.

McGregor still the better keeper over all but if McLaughlin is number 1 next year I wouldn't be overly concerned

Our most reliable keeper and I’ve said it for some time

Comfortable with the ball at his feet and comfortable coming for cross balls as we seen twice tonight, two occasions McGregor would have been glued to his line

Factor in easily 8 goals at least that McGregor should have kept out this season and for me, McLaughlin is our better keeper.

McGregors game was all about shot stopping and this season that has regressed big time

While I wouldn’t be as blunt as the poster you replied to I’d say a massive part of his stats are due to the fact he mainly plays against lesser opponents so has a far better chance of clean sheets.

I actually do rate McLaughlin, he is a good goalie, but not on McGregors level.

While I wouldn’t be as blunt as the poster you replied to I’d say a massive part of his stats are due to the fact he mainly plays against lesser opponents so has a far better chance of clean sheets.

not for me anymore. macgregors best days are behind him .

Our bizarre decision to have a 40 year old goalkeeper whose best days are behind him as No 1 could cost us the league and 40 million, McLaughlin should have been given the gloves at the start of the season, GVB should forget the sentiment and put the club first and put McGregor out his misery

McLaughlin is very good. In terms of affordability vs quality he is exceptional, actually - a terrific signing. This is a fact.

This part is perhaps subjective: he is nowhere near Greegsy's quality - he simply doesn't have the insane saves in him Al does.

He's also 34 & people seem to forget this.we need a younger keeper challenging for the Jersey.

Thats not to say I'm in anyway unhappy with our goalkeepers.

McLaughlin is very good. In terms of affordability vs quality he is exceptional, actually - a terrific signing. This is a fact.

This part is perhaps subjective: he is nowhere near Greegsy's quality - he simply doesn't have the insane saves in him Al does.

He's also 34 & people seem to forget this.we need a younger keeper challenging for the Jersey.

Thats not to say I'm in anyway unhappy with our goalkeepers.
Isn’t that goalie best/peak years?

McLaughlin should be given the gloves full time, I don't think there is any doubt about that.

Alan McGregor will be remembered as a Rangers legend and rightly so.

But Gio has to make that difficult decision and he has to be make it soon. Greegs inability to come for anything that is crossed into the box is a serious issue, and no amount of screaming at the full back will hide this.

This season is far to important for sentiment.

McLaughlin has played the majority of his career at diddy clubs,decent backup but never a rangers no.1

Good keeper and we're lucky to have him.

He's more commanding than McGregor and has better distribution.

But in terms of shot stopping I still believe McGregor is way ahead of him.

It's also worth remembering McLaughlin only ever plays against the diddy teams.. never the big domestic or European games.

McGregor still No1 for me.

Good keeper and we're lucky to have him.

He's more commanding than McGregor and has better distribution.

But in terms of shot stopping I still believe McGregor is way ahead of him.

It's also worth remembering McLaughlin only ever plays against the diddy teams.. never the big domestic or European games.

McGregor still No1 for me.
This is the main point for me. Successive Rangers managers have seen both in training every day and have both decided McGregor is better.

This is very telling.

That said I still think this is still McGregors last year and he will retire a genuine Rangers legend.

I suspect next season he’ll be our outright number 1. Even if McGregor stays another year, I think it’ll be role reversal with McGregor playing cup games and acting as back up. Almost as a sort of hand over period, being there as a mentor to being a Rangers number one to the keepers at Rangers before hanging up his gloves for good.

Our most reliable keeper and I’ve said it for some time

Comfortable with the ball at his feet and comfortable coming for cross balls as we seen twice tonight, two occasions McGregor would have been glued to his line

Factor in easily 8 goals at least that McGregor should have kept out this season and for me, McLaughlin is our better keeper.

McGregors game was all about shot stopping and this season that has regressed big time

I agree. McGregor has cost us at least 2 points against both Hearts at home and Ross County away.

McLaughlin saved us 2 points with a penalty save at Dundee away. He also distributes the ball far better and more quickly.

I can't think of many points McGregor has earned us this season. Against virtually every team in this league, and with our system, commanding your area is more important than a wonder save you don't have to make in most matches.

McLaughlin for the league, McGregor for cups and Europe for me.

McGregor is more likely to make an outstanding save still but if you look overall what McLaughlin offers and we have to be honest and say McGregor has declined significantly this season I agree now

He is much more commanding in his 6 yard box which breeds confidence in the defence and has very good distribution while being solid at everything else
I think the confidence thing is the most important……might even be the reason why the defence haven’t been as good this year, if they don’t have the same confidence in Greegsy as they did before

should be number 1 for me .don’t have the same confidence in shagger anymore.
Speaking of confidence I like Jon's personality, seems to be very sure of himself in a calm, measured way. Its a bit of a departure from McGregor and Goalkeepers in general but seems to work for him.

Hes been very patient and always delviered, albeit it in generally lesser matches.

Deserves a real chance now and I think he'll take it.

I’d be a bit disappointed if we spent money bringing in a new goalkeeper. It’s money that could be better spent elsewhere as with McLaughlin we have two very good goalies and with McCrorie we have an able backup if McGregor decides to take a back step.

I agree. McGregor has cost us at least 2 points against both Hearts at home and Ross County away.

McLaughlin saved us 2 points with a penalty save at Dundee away. He also distributes the ball far better and more quickly.

I can't think of many points McGregor has earned us this season. Against virtually every team in this league, and with our system, commanding your area is more important than a wonder save you don't have to make in most matches.

McLaughlin for the league, McGregor for cups and Europe for me.

He did pull off an outstanding double save v Sparta to ensure the 2-0 victory which got us qualification from the Europa group.

As for your other point about commanding your area being more important than the wonder save, I disagree. I feel like making the wonder save or making a save at a crucial time (e.g. saving a penalty) is what being a Rangers goalkeeper is all about.

I’m indifferent about the goalkeepers at the moment, I don’t have a strong opinion either way. I do feel like I’ve lost a bit of confidence in McGregor but I also feel that he’ll still probably step up at a crucial moment for us this season.

I like McLaughlin’s command of his area and his distribution but I’m not sure if he’s a goalkeeper who’ll make a crucial save in a big game/moment.

Id be tempted to give him the no.1 slot.

My only concern is shot stopping. He doesn't save those shots which are often on the cusp of being able to be saved by top keepers (like McGregor).

The flip side is he is miles better at cross balls & with the ball at his feet. Cross balls is the big thing. Mcgregor is glued to line & it's cost us in goals but you can tell its causing confidence issues in the defence

Would love to see an Allan McGregor vs Andy Goram poll now compared to the one we seen last season when McGregor was arguably having the season of his career.

Happy for big Jon to take over whenever Gio feels the time is right. McGregor will go down as one of the greatest or THE greatest to some.

I would have have had him as my number one this season. I think he is better at everything other than the point blank reaction saves. I prefer the keeper to command the area and come and collect the crosses that lead to many of these saves having to be made. That is why I rate Chris Woods above Andy Goram as well.

Building from the back is more important than ever now in football especially as don’t really have a Hately or Duncan Ferguson type up front. McGregor isn’t the best with the ball at his feet.

Feels almost blasphemous to think it but I think it's time for McLaughlin to be made permanent No.1.

Sadly, I feel that there are more errors in Allan right now and it would be awful if that was the difference in winning the championship or not.

I’ll reserve judgment until he plays against some half decent strikers tbh.

I don’t think it’s possible to make a fair comparison between the two keepers with the body of work they have so far

Very good keeper. I've noticed he has a calming influence on the defence infront of him there's no panic when the ball is played to his feet, quite the opposite from greegs.

Let's be honest, he rarely plays in the sort of games where he will face a lot of shots.

He's a good back up but shouldn't be considered for the No.1 position.

I'd liken him to Neil Alexander in that respect.

It depends where AM’s level is now rather than last year or 2 years ago etc etc.

JM should be No1 for me

I’m much more confident with McLaughlin when it comes to cross balls and the ball at his feet.

McGregor is obviously the better shot stopper but he’s a freak of nature at times when it comes to that.

I have no issue with John being our number one, he is a very good goalkeeper.

Back