Jon McLaughlin Shut Out Stats For Rangers

Really?mclaughlin on same level as goram?klos?mcgregor? Harrogate?sunderland?hearts?not diddy clubs?
Hull City? Judging a player based on the Clubs they’ve played for outwith Rangers is ridiculously stupid.

As far as McLaughlin’s level, he probably isn’t on the same level as a peak McGregor but he’s certainly on it now. He’s better at everything other than shot stopping, which he’s still very capable of.

Hull City? Judging a player based on the Clubs they’ve played for outwith Rangers is ridiculously stupid.

As far as McLaughlin’s level, he probably isn’t on the same level as a peak McGregor but he’s certainly on it now. He’s better at everything other than shot stopping, which he’s still very capable of.
Hull city?English premiership team at the time?mclaughlin now 34 and yet to make it anywhere of note but suddenly he’s stepping up to rangers number one on the back of a few games against the likes of Annan.gio and Gerrard before him consistently pick McGregor over him,y is that?

Probably isn’t??

Peak McGregor was/is on a completely different level to McLaughlin.

Hull city?English premiership team at the time?mclaughlin now 34 and yet to make it anywhere of note but suddenly he’s stepping up to rangers number one on the back of a few games against the likes of Annan.gio and Gerrard before him consistently pick McGregor over him,y is that?
Maybe they’re too sentimental, like a lot of posters on here.

He spent more time in the Championship than the EPL, including a season on loan at the mighty Cardiff City.

They maybe had spare tops. Tbh I’d want to put on a dry top as opposed to sitting absolutely soaking
They all do including the goalie. The players change tops every half time regardless of weather.

That was my point at why he changed colour rather than swapping into another orange

Interesting stay from the OP.

Do we have note what games they were?

I'd be intrigued to know if we've ever lost a game with Mclaughlin in goals?

I can think of a win vs St Johnstone and the draw with Lyon as games he played in. Not sure what the other 5 are.

Other than harping on about previous Clubs you aren’t offering much of an argument. Probably because you can’t.
Lol I’m basing my argument on facts,your basing yours on thinking professional football managers pick players for sentimental reasons.anyway greegsy between the sticks on Thursday night and rightly so.

Interesting stay from the OP.

Do we have note what games they were?

I'd be intrigued to know if we've ever lost a game with Mclaughlin in goals?

I can think of a win vs St Johnstone and the draw with Lyon as games he played in. Not sure what the other 5 are.
He played against Dundee Utd at the start of the season.

Livingston, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Aberdeen, Stirling Albion, Annan Athletic, Dunfermline, Livingston and Lyon.

He played against Dundee Utd at the start of the season.

Livingston, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Aberdeen, Stirling Albion, Annan Athletic, Dunfermline, Livingston and Lyon.
Thanks for the info.

That's unfortunate cause could have otherwise been a great stat if he was undefeated.

Lol I’m basing my argument on facts,your basing yours on thinking professional football managers pick players for sentimental reasons.anyway greegsy between the sticks on Thursday night and rightly so.
McLaughlin playing for the likes of Sunderland is indeed a fact, the way you are using this fact is the stupid part.

Here’s a fact. We are four points worse off this season because of McGregor.

McLaughlin playing for the likes of Sunderland is indeed a fact, the way you are using this fact is the stupid part.

Here’s a fact. We are four points worse off this season because of McGregor.
Lol so no fault in the 10 players in front of him?calling someone stupid because they don’t agree with you is stupid

Lol so no fault in the 10 players in front of him?calling someone stupid because they don’t agree with you is stupid
The ten players in front of him didn’t flap at a corner against Hearts and the less said about Ross County the better.

He did a fantastic job at the start of last season when McGregor was injured. He had a real run in the team and barely conceded.
To be fair, we could have had a corpse in goal and we still wouldn't have conceded many. We were controlling games so well, teams were struggling to get shots on target.

The ten players in front of him didn’t flap at a corner against Hearts and the less said about Ross County the better.
Any keeper can have an off game.if gio decides to go mclaughlin fair enough but guess what,he doesn’t.y? Could it be that McGregor is just the better keeper..

He did pull off an outstanding double save v Sparta to ensure the 2-0 victory which got us qualification from the Europa group.

As for your other point about commanding your area being more important than the wonder save, I disagree. I feel like making the wonder save or making a save at a crucial time (e.g. saving a penalty) is what being a Rangers goalkeeper is all about.

I’m indifferent about the goalkeepers at the moment, I don’t have a strong opinion either way. I do feel like I’ve lost a bit of confidence in McGregor but I also feel that he’ll still probably step up at a crucial moment for us this season.

I like McLaughlin’s command of his area and his distribution but I’m not sure if he’s a goalkeeper who’ll make a crucial save in a big game/moment.
Regarding the double save against Sparta, he only had to make them as he failed to come off his line to deal with a slow floated cross into his 6 yard box, as is always the case with him.

I agree. McGregor has cost us at least 2 points against both Hearts at home and Ross County away.

McLaughlin saved us 2 points with a penalty save at Dundee away. He also distributes the ball far better and more quickly.

I can't think of many points McGregor has earned us this season. Against virtually every team in this league, and with our system, commanding your area is more important than a wonder save you don't have to make in most matches.

McLaughlin for the league, McGregor for cups and Europe for me.
Disagree entirely, if as appears generally agreed on here he is already, or is becoming a liability in the League, why would you start him in the big money matches or cup games where we have misfired since ...... :confused:

Shagger is phenomenal though. It’s not like it’s Theo Snelders or Ronald Watterus ahead of him. Shagger is, IMO, our best ever goalkeeper
He was phenomenal and has been absolutely brilliant for us over the years. As a younger bear I haven’t really had the chance to judge many of the other keepers in the debate for our all time number 1. He’s been magnificent without doubt and last year especially defied his age and was an absolute brick wall.

Just think this season has been a step too far for him and he has been a shadow of last season. Cost us points on a few occasions and has let goals in that would never have troubled him a year ago.

He was phenomenal and has been absolutely brilliant for us over the years. As a younger bear I haven’t really had the chance to judge many of the other keepers in the debate for our all time number 1. He’s been magnificent without doubt and last year especially defied his age and was an absolute brick wall.

Just think this season has been a step too far for him and he has been a shadow of last season. Cost us points on a few occasions and has let goals in that would never have troubled him a year ago.
Can’t disagree with that. We’re seeing an (expected) decline in performances from an ageing keeper. Let’s just hope for one final push from Shagger

Regarding the double save against Sparta, he only had to make them as he failed to come off his line to deal with a slow floated cross into his 6 yard box, as is always the case with him.
Exactly, for me a keeper that commands his area and can cut out crosses etc tends not to get the recognition he deserves as it’s the flashy saves that are remembered. If a keeper can cut out a lot of the high balls into his box, then he will likely have less shots to stop

Need a new keeper next year for me.

JM is an able deputy- a 2022 Neil Alexander but, if we want the team to keep improving, we need better.

Very good keeper though so no slight on him.

Id be tempted to give him the no.1 slot.

My only concern is shot stopping. He doesn't save those shots which are often on the cusp of being able to be saved by top keepers (like McGregor).

The flip side is he is miles better at cross balls & with the ball at his feet. Cross balls is the big thing. Mcgregor is glued to line & it's cost us in goals but you can tell its causing confidence issues in the defence

Can anyone point me to the goals McLaughlin has let in that he should have saved ? I have no issue with his shot stopping, don’t know how anyone can.

Goalkeeping is more than a couple of world class saves a season, McGregor is making more saves and double saves because he is not dealing with the danger properly first time round. There are the clear multiple howlers McGregor has made that folk remember but some go under the radar when we win, the Motherwell goal in the 1-6 win typifies McGregor this season.

He is a 40 year old keeper with the reactions and agility of a 40 year old, his confidence is shot and it is not fair on him, the defence or us fans.

If McGregor continues as number 1 he will cost us points.

Can anyone point me to the goals McLaughlin has let in that he should have saved ? I have no issue with his shot stopping, don’t know how anyone can.

Goalkeeping is more than a couple of world class saves a season, McGregor is making more saves and double saves because he is not dealing with the danger properly first time round. There are the clear multiple howlers McGregor has made that folk remember but some go under the radar when we win, the Motherwell goal in the 1-6 win typifies McGregor this season.

He is a 40 year old keeper with the reactions and agility of a 40 year old, his confidence is shot and it is not fair on him, the defence or us fans.

If McGregor continues as number 1 he will cost us points.
a good keeper makes world class saves sometimes to win games

mcgregor has got us to a euro final and still makes saves jmc could only dream of

McGregor isn't saving anything of late that isn't straight at him. He is on a rapid decline. His positioning, kicking and refusal to even come 4 yards off his line have cost us greatly just since January alone.

It will happen again. The odd great save doesn't cover for selling a goal every few games now.

who played in the semi final games ?

you are living in the past, where McGregor’s best days are.
we wouldnt have got that far without him ffs

people blaming him for the old firm game when he made 4 or 5 great saves

if gio,gerrard seen a past it mcshagger as no 1 ill take there advice over yours

jmc is a step backwards

were hopefully want to be a champions league regulars

j mc cant get regular games for scotland

The players in front of him must also share the blame but on at least 2 occasions he was solely at faulty for the loss of at least 4 points,Shagger has been a tremendous keeper for us over the years but his age is catching up with him,that and his reluctance to come for cross balls is a worry now.

McLaughlin has played the majority of his career at diddy clubs,decent backup but never a rangers no.1
Previous clubs have got nothing to do with it - his performances here do, and he has never let us down. He has a number of strengths in his game that McGregor simply does not have.

Whether he is a 'true' No.1 will maybe be determined but there is no reason he doesn't get a chance. Spending money and taking a keeper from a big club is no guarantee of success. Look no further than the Greek Barney across the city.

Back