Jordi Alba / Tav...

dt17

The Jay Cartwright of FF
Watching the Barca game there and two goals came from his side.

Do you think the Barca fans post several threads on their message boards saying he’s not good enough?

I’ve stuck up for Tav a lot on here as I feel he gets a lot of unfair criticism. Today was no different.

Apparently the goal was his fault?

Not only that but the constant noise to have Flanagan ahead of him is worrying. Has anyone actually watched Flanagan in the last 3-4 games? He’s been dreadful.

Flanagan has been playing out of position and hasn’t been playing well admittedly, however he is a better right back than Tavernier and he’s proven himself at a higher level. He was slaughtered by Tierney repeatedly today, particularly in the first half.

Aside from that, Tavernier also shouldn’t be captain.

Interestingly enough the last few games he’s been absolutely roasted.

Tav defended well enough with 9 men on Thursday did he not?

An absolute myth that he can’t defend.

I'm not blaming tav for there goal.. but flano defends 1st how many times has he actually played rb ?

I like Tavernier going forward, what I did notice was him getting pulled into the middle to challenge their midfielders which left space at right back. Candieas usually covers but Kent wasnt which left space for McGregor to exploit

Flanagan has been playing out of position and hasn’t been playing admittedly, however he is a better right back than Tavernier and he’s proven himself at a higher level.

Aside from that, Tavernier shouldn’t be captain.

Complete double standards. It’s ok for Flanagan to play shite for a few weeks running but he gets a pass?

He proved himself at a higher level how many years ago?

I'm not blaming tav for there goal.. but flano defends 1st how many times has he actually played rb ?

He hasn’t played right back because he’s not good enough, same way Sadiq hasn’t played up front because he’s not good enough.

Did you watch rangers last season or last Sunday even. The guy doesn’t have the awareness to be good at defending. Saying that don’t think Flanagan would have had the pace to play tierney today which is why Kent ended up doing it.

Flanagan has been playing out of position and hasn’t been playing admittedly, however he is a better right back than Tavernier and he’s proven himself at a higher level. He was slaughtered by Tierney repeatedly today, particularly in the first half.

Just how many games HAS Flanagan played at right back to be better than anyone??? Sure you’ll find he has played most of his professional career at left back!

Tavernier is club captain and cost us 3 points at Fir Park by letting his man brush him off easily at set pieces.

When that kind of obvious error happens - he's going to take abuse.

And to answer your question - yes. Barca fans moan about their players just like we do.

Don't know why you've started this, it's been done to death already in various threads. Tav did much better on Thursday night but he still got lucky on a couple of occasions including one where their striker, Igpun? missed a sitter with a header.
I'd take Jordi Alba over Tav in a heartbeat.

Complete double standards. It’s ok for Flanagan to play shite for a few weeks running but he gets a pass?

He proved himself at a higher level how many years ago?
How many times has Tavernier actually put in a competent display against the mentally challengeds? He played well in the two draws under Murty but aside from that he’s been brutal. He also cost us points last week, so it certainly isn’t a ‘myth’ that he’s bad at defending. He’s better with Candeias offering extra protection but when he’s on his own he’s poor.

Flanagan has been playing out of position and hasn’t been playing well admittedly, however he is a better right back than Tavernier and he’s proven himself at a higher level. He was slaughtered by Tierney repeatedly today, particularly in the first half.

Pish.

Jordi Alba is constantly rescuing Barcelona defensively. He is a good defender and a brilliant attacker.

Tav is a dreadful defender and a good attacker.

I thought for long parts of the first half he was tucked in so narrow that it was almost like another centre back, with Kent picking up the boy wonder when he tore down that wing. From that perspective I'm a bit confused, as I thought our RB should be the man for that job. My real frustration then today was that when Tav got forward he was wasteful with a number of his crosses. So, the slack I usually cut him for not being defender of the year was tempered by the fact that he was wasteful going forward too, with our very limited excursions up the park. On top of that, neither he nor any of the midfield covered themselves in glory getting back for their goal. So, taken together, I didn't think he had a particularly good game today.

On Thu past, his job was actually simpler. Defend at all costs.

Maybe the lad himself is a bit unsure of his role and positioning at times. I'd still pick him ahead of Flanagan though.

As ever, our right hand side looked much better when Candeias came on. I'm struggling to understand why that hasn't registered with SG yet.

All of that said, as a team we were a yard / half a yard off the pace for most of the game today. Tav was simply symptomatic of that. It looked like we were there to disrupt them, slow the pace down and play for a draw (despite comments that we go out to win every game), and I think it backfired.

i thought he was woeful in the first half today, just his usual allowing cross after cross to come in

battered half of his crosses out the park at the other end and failed to shoot on target with the one chance he had

dire like the rest of the team today

Flanagan was the worst player on the park on Thursday and I'm not even one of the people who didn't want to sign him because of his past.

i thought he was woeful in the first half today, just his usual allowing cross after cross to come in

battered half of his crosses out the park at the other end and failed to shoot on target with the one chance he had

dire like the rest of the team today
Put two great balls in that Lafferty headed wide.

Comparing Alba and Tavernier is fucking nonsense tbh.

Alba is a top class international full back who's all round game is top notch.

I bet Barcelona forums have threads of players when they fail to do their duty, it's a part of discussing football ffs.

Highlighting Tavernier and his weaknesses is not dubbing him shite or a liability - it's telling it the way it is.

Teams target our right side and Tavernier and there is a reason for it - he can be got at with ease on occasions.

Tierney cut through Tavernier like a hot knife through butter, a talented defender like Flanagan should not have been sat on the bench watching it, he should have been on the pitch to stop him.

We've all know for 2 seasons that Tavernier's defending isn't his strong point.

In games like today's he would have been better utilised playing right midfield with Flannagan at rightback.

Flanagan played half a season for Liverpool 5 years ago. During that time, he played left back.

Tavernier wasn't slaughtered repeatedly by Tierney at all.

Eh because McGregor and Tierney are much better players than Forrest and Lustig.

Not rocket science bud.
Eh and rogers will have identified that as our weak spot. Not rocket science bud

Flanagan played half a season for Liverpool 5 years ago. During that time, he played left back.

Tavernier wasn't slaughtered repeatedly by Tierney at all.

Tavernier struggled today with Tierney. He did manage to clear a header this time instead of being caught ball watching.

The bheggars missed a great opportunity 2nf half, free header - who was picking him up?

McGregor and Tierney play there every week so it’s hardly targeting him is it?

Behave yourself.
What? Do you know anything about football? Do you know how team talks and game strategies work? The message will have been clear, lets exploit their right hand side against the kid from liverpools youth team and the full back who can't defend

It was interesting when Sky did that wee piece at the end where they take random tweeted questions to the panel and ask them to reply.
One was from a "supporter" that suggested Tav just wasn't good enough and should be punted.
Both Boyd and Commons said Tav was possibly the best RB in the country and that's why big clubs from the EPL are sniffing around him.
I have to say I agree!
For me there's a helluva lot of "bandwagon jumping" on here as far as how "shite" Tavernier is!

What? Do you know anything about football? Do you know how team talks and game strategies work? The message will have been clear, lets exploit their right hand side against the kid from liverpools youth team and the full back who can't defend

Having played at a good level and having my coaching badges then yes I'd say I have a pretty good understanding of the game. More so than punters who boo at Ibrox if we play a backward pass.

Celtic set up today the way they always do. The fact that their strength lies down the left hand side has absolutely nothing to do with Tav. McGregor and Tierney play there every week.

I'm a fan of Tav, but as stated on here often, Candeias has to play also. They're a good partnership anyway so play them as a pair.
He wasn't to blame for the goal, I'm blaming Ejaria for not continuing his run for another 5 yards to keep up with the scorer. That being said, it's a team and unfair just to single Ejaria. We were dogshit today for most of that game. We HAVE to get in their faces when we play them. If they beat us 3 nil but we have made a proper full bloodied effort then I'll accept technical failings. To not leave everything on that pitch is not acceptable.

A myth? Did you see the Motherwell game last week?
If Tav defended then we’d have won the game

Myth my arse. His defending is not good. It not terrible but not good. Had no issue with his performance today though

Comparing Alba and Tavernier. Hahahhaha. This place is absolutely fucking mental :D

Is anyone comparing their abilities? No.

Having watched the Barca game where two goals came down the left hand side, it reminded me of the abuse Tav's been getting today because McGregor and Tierney were two of Celtic's better players.

A myth? Did you see the Motherwell game last week?
If Tav defended then we’d have won the game

If Goldson hadn't slipped and if McGregor had came out for the third we might've won as well. But yeah, single out Tav. Usual.

Totally agree regarding Flanagan. He’s been rinsed by players with any bit of pace. This higher level stuff doesn’t wash either. There are many a player who wouldn’t cope with the fish bowl and style of football up here, as has been proved time and time again. Reputation speaks for nothing up here.

However Tav struggles defensively. An area which we could look to improve. In the meantime, he’s by far our best option in that area and considering how much contributions we get from him, he certainly should not be getting benched for someone like Flanagan who can be a liability himself.

I like Tavernier, if his defending was as good as his attacking play and delivery, he'd be an English Premiership player and playing for the national side.

He can be got at with ease on occasions and that's why opposing managers and teams target him. We saw that today, we saw that at Fir Park and we will continue to see it.

He struggles with players running at him, he's all at sea with a defence splitting pass and his defending of set pieces can be absolutely tragic.

Today his attacking skills were not on show so his performance dropped even lower.

no it's not . he costs us goals . he's cost us goals this season and last season . he's a poor defender and a poor choice for captain

ps...........not blaming him in any way shape or fashion for today .

Having played at a good level and having my coaching badges then yes I'd say I have a pretty good understanding of the game. More so than punters who boo at Ibrox if we play a backward pass.

Celtic set up today the way they always do. The fact that their strength lies down the left hand side has absolutely nothing to do with Tav. McGregor and Tierney play there every week.

Mate, its not hard to understand what hes saying. Hes not talking about the position the players play in, but the rate and frequency that the ball is played down that side. Its not difficult

OK I'll bite. I'm not a coach or football manager, I only ever played for the school and the BB but I've watched Rangers for 49 years. In that time I've seen a lot of great players, some good players, some average and some dross. Now I realise that football is all about opinions and everybody differs but it's obvious the OP has a hard on for Tavernier.
I don't, in fact I would say Tav is bang average at best. He's the weak link in defence and I've been saying he can't defend since the first time I saw him. Nothing has changed, in fact his positional sense is getting worse if anything.
He does have some good attributes going forward but as the whole package it's a not good enough for me. I keep seeing posts saying we should play Candeias to protect him and while that does make a bit of sense I would rather have a right back that doesn't need protecting leaving the right winger to get on with his job of attacking the opposition.

OK I'll bite. I'm not a coach or football manager, I only ever played for the school and the BB but I've watched Rangers for 49 years. In that time I've seen a lot of great players, some good players, some average and some dross. Now I realise that football is all about opinions and everybody differs but it's obvious the OP has a hard on for Tavernier.
I don't, in fact I would say Tav is bang average at best. He's the weak link in defence and I've been saying he can't defend since the first time I saw him. Nothing has changed, in fact his positional sense is getting worse if anything.
He does have some good attributes going forward but as the whole package it's a not good enough for me. I keep seeing posts saying we should play Candeias to protect him and while that does make a bit of sense I would rather have a right back that doesn't need protecting leaving the right winger to get on with his job of attacking the opposition.

So what you're saying is that Tav should be left to deal with both McGregor and Tierney by himself?

Interesting.

Do you think Barisic should've been dealing with Forrest and Lustig on his own?

Having watched the Barca game where two goals came down the left hand side, it reminded me of the abuse Tav's been getting today because McGregor and Tierney were two of Celtic's better players.

If Goldson hadn't slipped and if McGregor had came out for the third we might've won as well. But yeah, single out Tav. Usual.

The only thing similar is they play football. Alba plays at Barca because he doesn’t make the same mistakes every week. This is why there is a thread every game about Tav, he makes the same mistake.

You’re comparing them by this thread. Mental

Single out Tav? You’re the one that started a thread about him? What do you expect in terms of replies?

Crazy stuff

So what you're saying is that Tav should be left to deal with both McGregor and Tierney by himself?

Interesting.

Do you think Barisic should've been dealing with Forrest and Lustig on his own?

Obviously in a defensive situation you would expect the wingers to help out. What I'm getting at is the idea that Tav should only play if Candeias plays in front of him. So we have a right back and Captain that needs a nursemaid? You don't see threads saying Barisic should only play if a certain player plays in front of him. There's a difference between helping out your full back and covering up his weakness.

Back