Jorh Albertz

Couldn't half strike a ball. TBF he had amazing composure as well when setting shots up. Just the fear of him winding up a shot had defenders ducking or throwing themselves to block and he often just turned inside to slot the ball home

Always remember big Jorg for scoring a late winner on my birthday just before Christmas around 2000/2001? Think it was against Killie.

If I was the keeper and I seen Albertz taking that length of a run up to hit the ball I'd do the wise thing and position myself behind the net.

I'm trying to remember who it was that decided to get in the road of an Albertz free kick and the took it full force in crown jewels. Was on the ground for ages as well

Some brilliant strikes.
Never will forget the free kick against them.
thought he was man hitting it frim that far out.

The excitement and expectation every time we got a free kick within 30 yards was immense. Apart from the obvious against the beggars, the one that sticks in my head was a midweek against Hibs where I think we won 4-0. He hit it under the wall who jumped and the ball then rose into the top corner, you'd think he used a 3 wood, it was a thing of beauty.
Yeah we miss that excitement nowadays

It always amazed me that when he struck a dead ball it moved through the air without spinning. In slo mo you could watch it glide through the air and see the same side of the ball all the way into the net.

The big man never had the same skill level or received the same adulation as Gazza or Laudrup, but he had a knack for regularly scoring (usually piledrivers) against Septic and in big European games.

The big man never had the same skill level or received the same adulation as Gazza or Laudrup, but he had a knack for regularly scoring (usually piledrivers) against Septic and in big European games.
His skill level was excellent, not quite at the level of laudrup or gazza admittedly, but still very high indeed. When he ran with the ball he had the ability to keep it close and kinda curl himself around it as he drove forward. His ability to hit it with such force made opposition players stand off a bit as well, which was a skill all of his own.

The thing about the big man was that he always seemed to put the ball where he wanted - but with immense power. Too many players outside the box these days just hit and hope.

Seeing the big long run up again prompted a memory of seeing a Roberto Carlos (I think) free kick where an opposition player stood in the line of his run up (but 10 yards from the ball) to put him off.

The excitement and expectation every time we got a free kick within 30 yards was immense. Apart from the obvious against the beggars, the one that sticks in my head was a midweek against Hibs where I think we won 4-0. He hit it under the wall who jumped and the ball then rose into the top corner, you'd think he used a 3 wood, it was a thing of beauty.

Just found it, 2nd goal in this video. Not quite the top corner as my mind imagined it but still some hit.

Oh i smile when i think of his strikes on goal!! Rockets!! Its a dying art in the modern game and its a shame!! Nothing better than a long range howitzer nestling in the Ibrox nets.

A player whose accuracy was often overlooked. Not only did he score with power that has rarely been seen he would hit the target and into corners 7/10.

Loved big Albertz. Met him in the St Enoch centre as a boy and wanted to go back every week in case we bumped into him again

I remember Petrov trying to square up to him in an OF at Ibrox and Albertz just looked at him as if he was a bit of dogshit stuck to his Predators. Never seen a player shrink back into themselves as quickly as Petrov did.

They were fucking terrified of him.

Above everyone, he’s my absolute hero.

As you say, not the most skillful player ever to pull on the shirt, but did it consistently in big games. Loved the guy, was gutted when he left!

As you say, not the most skillful player ever to pull on the shirt, but did it consistently in big games. Loved the guy, was gutted when he left!

He was still a much more talented and graceful footballer than he’s given credit for, because people overlook it for his shot power.

He was still a much more talented and graceful footballer than he’s given credit for, because people overlook it for his shot power.

There's probably truth in that. Plus the fact that he was of the same generation as Laudrup and Gascoigne who were on another level. The fact that he vies with those two as a fans' favourite speaks volumes.

I often think about this. He was know, some would say rightly, from for his left foot but he was so much more than that. A really presence

Back