Jorh Albertz

Seeing that again makes me dream for a player who could hit a ball like that again.
We are a million miles away from a player capable of a decent and consistent shot from distance.
Hopefully the next Hammer is just around the next transfer corner.

Was it East Fife in the Scottish Cup when some poor sod got it square in the chuckies? Think it’d have been 96/97

Yes, it was. 50,000 all going "ooooooohhhhh" all at the same time.
What about the big man turning up in Manchester in his own Rangers top.

vqhe9w.jpg

I remember Petrov trying to square up to him in an OF at Ibrox and Albertz just looked at him as if he was a bit of dogshit stuck to his Predators. Never seen a player shrink back into themselves as quickly as Petrov did.

They were fucking terrified of him.

Above everyone, he’s my absolute hero.

Standard mentally challenged behaviour when someone stands up to them.

My favourite ever Rangers player. You were just waiting for the inevitable any time he had the ball at his feet with 40 yards of the opposition box. Best memories are the 2 almost identical goals against Celtic in the space of a week.

My favourite ever Rangers player. You were just waiting for the inevitable any time he had the ball at his feet with 40 yards of the opposition box. Best memories are the 2 almost identical goals against Celtic in the space of a week.

Also scored a very similar goal against Bayern Munich in the CL and many more at that level. He was unique and we will never see his like again sadly.

we really miss having someone like Albertz, never really had a player that you expect to score every time from free kicks since he left

There's probably truth in that. Plus the fact that he was of the same generation as Laudrup and Gascoigne who were on another level. The fact that he vies with those two as a fans' favourite speaks volumes.
I think I was 27/28 when he left (Season Ticket in GF4) and I recall being genuinely sad after his last game - probably as gutted as I have been for any player leaving TBH (Gazza, Laudrup, Super Ally included). I think he had a good few years with us left in him too.

Love the big man to this day. A great advert for our Club.

Thought he’d had a son when I read that title.
I Loved the big man, he was someone who just took to being a Ranger and you could tell that he loved the club. On top of that, he was probably the best striker of a ball that I’ve ever seen, sides literally shat it when we got a free kick in the edge of the box and we expected him to score every time. He was that good he’d sometimes let Amoruso belt one into the stand for a laugh.

Been a few screamers over the years but doing it consistently?, possibly only Fergie comes close to big Jorg.

I remember when he first signed for the Club and he gave an interview in German and the only thing I could make out was “9 in a row” which he said in English. Brilliant player.

I was very lucky to be growing up when Albertz was in his prime and an integral part of our team. I admired him as a kid. A joy to watch and an excellent role model.

I used to love Andy Gray getting his speed camera out. Albertz, Hasselbaink and Yeboah must be up there with hardest shots in football. Although Cooper's free kick Vs Dolly moved quicker!!

Brilliant on and off the park. A proper old school gentleman Ranger.

And the filth were terrified of him.

I remember when he first signed for the Club and he gave an interview in German and the only thing I could make out was “9 in a row” which he said in English. Brilliant player.

I remember Gough’s story of going to meet him for the first time in Cameron House Hotel and here’s Jorg in the bar with a fat cigar and a pint.

I remember him firing a fee kick inches wide at Parkhead... no doubt the most powerful shot I've seen live. Pretty sure it was THAT game Di Canio lost the plot before we did the huddle in front of the unwashed!

Absolute Legend, just watched some old Rangers v Celtic Games on RTV and the amount of times he gets assists or scores in those games was unreal, we have had some great players Laudrup & Gazza most notable as truly world class Albertz wasn't world class but I don't think we have had a better performer in those derbys.

I often think about this. He was know, some would say rightly, from for his left foot but he was so much more than that. A really presence

100%.

Faster than he was given credit for, could go past a player and his passing and vision were world class at times.

Could have strolled it as a 10, but never gets the credit he deserves for all that stuff.

Still remember him running to the corner pointing to his back just after scoring against Bayern. Right in front of us, and we were unlucky not to take all points. Not a screamer but one that sticks in my mind.

He was my hero growing up. That left foot was amazing and I practised for years to try hit the ball the same way as he did.

Not going to read the whole thread to find it, but if no one has mentioned how he did Stubbs twice in as many weeks i'll be very disappointed.

Absolute legend and brilliant player to watch, wish we had someone in our team who could strike a ball half as good as he could.

My absolute hero growing up. Started going when Laudrup and Gazza were in their prime but Albertz was the man when I was finally 'getting' football.

Back