just how good was trevor steven?

krisboyd

i was a bit young for him growing up

doesnt seem to get talked about a lot on here, he must have had something about him for marseille to pay all that money for him

For older bears who saw him growing up, where was he in the pantheon of all time players or even british players at that time?

I think it was Tommy Burns said"I'm glad Stevens is away,but they have now got millions to replace him"
Or words to that effect,a tremendous player,before his time.

I used to rage at him because he constantly hit the first man. As earlier, way down the list.

Signed him for £1.5 million in 1989

Sold to Marseilles for £5.5 million in 1991 - the highest amount paid for a British player moving abroad (jointly with David Platt who moved to Serie A with Bari). The boy had pedigree.

Re-signed by Rangers in 1992 for a cut-price £2.2 million.

I seem to remember he was a bit injury prone during his second spell but he certainly accumulated the medals with us.

He was top quality but perhaps not approacing the pinnacle of the pyramid of all-time greats.

Good first time around injury prone and 3 foreigner rule went against him in his second spell from what I remember.

A super player who played at a high level.

Im not sure Id start to consider him amongst the great though.

Brilliant in his first spell and probably the season (maybe two) when he came back second time. After that he seemed to pick up more and more injuries which I think taints his time as it whats a lot of people remember about him

Souness thought he was the best mifielder in Britain around 1990 - maybe a bit biased being his manager but still a great compliment

Hes also in Evertons greatest 11

As stated the first time we had him he was class. Second spell hampered due to injury and 3 foreigner rule.

Him and Gary Stevens were as strong a partnership as we've had on the right hand side.

In his first spell he was great, less so in his injury hit second. But a class act throughout. I can't imagine the sort of fee he would go for nowadays.

Was gutted when he moved to Marseille, he was at the top of his game then. Still a good player in his 2nd spell though.

Didn't realise that. His acquisition was certainly considered as a bit of a coup at the time.

I think gary stevens might be too, but Trev definitely is. I suppose the 80's was a very successful period for Everton so would make sense

Great player and loved his goal against the sheep at Hamdump when ran right through the middle to score.

A fantastic footballer. He was excellent in his first spell and was up with the top midfielders in the UK at the time. Injuries hampered him when he returned but was still an important member of the squad.

Last edited:
Guy am mates with and who played with hibs and killie said he's the best player he's ever played against - said he couldn't get near him

In his first spell he was brilliant. Gutted when we sold him as he had most of the attributes required of a top midfielder.

Unfortunately, after his return he wasn't the same due to the amount of injuries he got.

Absolutely class in the first spell at the club unfortunately injury prone when he returned and never got back to those heights again

Absolutely brilliant midfielder. Spoke to him recently and still loves Rangers. How he is not in the Hall of Fame I don't know.. :(

Was a fine player that never noised up opponents or opposition fans. Yet I remember he had to go off for treatment against the poets at Ibrox just at the side of the goal at the broomloan end and the scum were pelting him with coins.

Cvnts !

His first spell and his first year back, he was tremendous, although more so in his first spell.

As others have said, he just seemed to be constantly injured for about 3-4 years. There was a spell in his second season, 90-91, that he was carrying the team. I think at that point Souness had started to play him more centrally, and he was benefitting from it, as were we. Great player at his best but sadly not often enough for us in the second spell.

Reactions: TQ3
Good player but we were right to take the £5.5 million.

That said dont think he was worth the £2.2 million we bought him back for.

In his first spell he was arguably the best midfielder in the country.Second spell it never really happened for him.
On his day he was a great player

Was a fine player that never noised up opponents or opposition fans. Yet I remember he had to go off for treatment against the poets at Ibrox just at the side of the goal at the broomloan end and the scum were pelting him with coins.

Cvnts !
I'm pretty sure they flung a seat at him.

In his first spell with us (and his Everton days) he was one of the top midfielders in Europe, hence why probably the richest club in Europe at the time paid a fortune for him.

I thought he was a great player and was gutted when he went to Marseille.

The two goals I think of when he's mentioned are his header at Tannadice to clinch the league and his header at Ibrox versus the filth to win 1-0.

First spell he was a great player, very neat and tidy with a knack of arriving in the box late to score.
Second spell was littered with injuries from what I can remember.

Trevor Steven was one of my favourite players at Rangers during his first spell. He was a very intelligent player who didn't give the ball away cheaply. He wasn't one to crave the limelight and didn't court controversy. Trevor did has talking on the football park. He was, and still is, a great Ranger.

Was a long way down the list of midfielders we've had.

Jeezo, mate. :eek: Can't agree with that at all.

He absolutely controlled games in midfield, picking out passes, threading balls through from midfield, calming things when they needed calmed. A genuinely tremendous player.

Barry Ferguson is another of similar qualities. Both were superb at dictating the pace of play, although Barry probably had a bit more dig about him.

Really classy midfielder. Elegant is the way I would describe him.

An absolute top class player in his first spell with us. One of my lasting memories him is a League Cup semi final at Hampden against the Sheep. Bossed the midfield on his own that night and chipped in with the winning goal. Outstanding performance on the pitch.

What a guess!
Don't know him, just showing off! haha.

Glad he's well in any case! ;)

Lol he seems to know a lot of people so thought nothing of it

A was sure he would say gazza or laudrup when asked him who was the best he played against but said Steven was impossible to play against

Lol he seems to know a lot of people so thought nothing of it

A was sure he would say gazza or laudrup when asked him who was the best he played against but said Steven was impossible to play against

I have to admit, I am surprised at some of the not one of the best comments above!

I'm sure he was once described as a 'Rolls Royce of a player'.

To me, utter class on and off the pitch. Exemplary player.

This for me as well. He was a superb player and was gutted when he left first time, and when he resigned i was delighted although it wasn't as great a period for him.

Also remember he was playing and helping out the night their temporary stand fell down in Marseilles

A terrific player. Very, very clever, cultured footballer who I really enjoyed watching.

WATP

Back