Kent

PMB1872

Think you have to be careful with your choice of words. Think Kent is a good player but not yet as great as some would have us believe, fingers crossed he gets there.

£7m fee was a good bit over the top for me but think it was seen as an investment with an eye on his return to England at a big, big profit some time down the line.
I think he is a good player, on his game. But he is still very inconsistent.

Laudrup's Right Foot

Pittodrie second half he was injured and was limping throughout it from the minute he returned to the pitch at half time

Yesterday he had 2 players on him yet still drove at players and it ended up leaving us with an extra man due to them doubling up

MarkieLoyal

He wasn't in the game enough, you need 7 million players to make a difference.

But we know he can play against them and perform, hes young, a winger and returning to fitness, consistency will be an issue.

RaoulDuke11

Did ok, but wasnt the standout he could've been.

Having said that, if we score one - Celtic open up a bit more and this gives Kent the space he needs to rip them open. However, Celtic defended for their lives yesterday and were set up in a manner that we've become accustomed to from the likes of Motherwell and the Sheep (sit deep and hope to nick something from a set piece or odd-counter).

RabSpackman

He’s a cracking footballer but I don’t think we are getting the value for someone that we ended up splurging that amount of transfer budget on.
A nice goal against Hamilton is one thing.... for that money I expect someone to be grabbing the team by the collar and dragging it to victory in a cup final.

Unfair expectation on the lad maybe but it goes with the territory at that price.

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
I haven't yet seen it but

1. I am reliably informed it wasn't £7m up front so maybe not fair to hit him with this
2. He was injured for a month or two
3. He is young and still learning

However for our 'star signing' he's not been a success so far...he goes missing, drops too deep and since injury is not actually all that rapid. In fact Frompong outran him every time.

Tagsbear

1. I am reliably informed it wasn't £7m up front so maybe not fair to hit him with this

However for our 'star signing' he's not been a success so far...he goes missing, drops too deep and since injury is not actually all that rapid. In fact Frompong outran him every time.
This is drivel by the way, he’s had some excellent games this season so far.

Tagsbear

Cracking player but he was dreadful today, think he’s lucky he’s got Morelos to take the heat because for £7m I’d expect a lot more. He jus wasn’t involved and didn’t drive at them.
He was man marked throughout, Brown and Frimpong on him constantly, part of the reason we dominated the match was because of them keeping men on him, opening up space for others.

Forth Bear

Hyperbolic nonsense.

In recent weeks, he's won us the game against Hamilton, set up Morelos against Feyenoord and scored against Hearts.

Commentator

Kent suffers because of our tendency to overplay and allow the opposition time to get set up and he contributes to it by over-doing the sand-dancing. We need to develop two strategies, one until we get on top and the second to be implemented thereafter.
Initially we need to move the ball quicker, less trundling it about side to side and more between the lines. Once we have a goal or two in our pockets we can be slower.

Arkanoid

Why Gerrard played him centrally to mark Brown is beyond any reason I can think of, we missed him wide. Barker being direct down the left caused far more problems than Kent did playing centrally for 96 minutes

Tagsbear

Why Gerrard played him centrally to mark Brown is beyond any reason I can think of, we missed him wide. Barker being direct down the left caused far more problems than Kent did playing centrally for 96 minutes
Brown was marking Kent not the other way round.

Midfield General

The pitches back in the 70s 60s and beyond were like quagmire back then and good players still managed to cope.
Havi g said that I think Kent is a smashing player who will continue to improve.I think the team is better with him in it.

Arkanoid

Brown was marking Kent not the other way round.
I'll agree that but then why wasn't Brown playing right back? Gerrard clearly instructed Kent to remain central and it was Kamara shifting over to offer cover to Barasic at left back. Kamara, Arfield or Jack should have went toe to toe with them centrally. My hindsight opinion anyway but let's be fair we played exceptionally well and it's not a criticism per se, just picking the bones out of a difficult result to take. We were scoring 1st away from it being a tactical master class

Tagsbear

I'll agree that but then why wasn't Brown playing right back? Gerrard clearly instructed Kent to remain central and it was Kamara shifting over to offer cover to Barasic at left back. Kamara, Arfield or Jack should have went toe to toe with them centrally. My hindsight opinion anyway but let's be fair we played exceptionally well and it's not a criticism per se, just picking the bones out of a difficult result to take. We were scoring 1st away from it being a tactical master class
When Kent was out on the wing Brown was over as soon as it went near, him and Frimpong constantly doubling up, it was creating space all the time, it was the reason Jack had so much space and time to hit that shot for instance.

dudzo

Official Ticketer
He was top notch

he sealed the game at Hamilton, scored in the semi and had a blinder, all off the back of just being back from injury a few games before.

he didn’t have his best game yesterday thought.

not quite sure what our tactics were with the lad frimpong he seemed to have acres of space and our players were scared to go near him.

WATP

Some people on this board just can’t accept paying fans having a dim view on players and their performances.

weewullie

I think he is one of our best signings in a long time. He worked hard. He played his socks off. He was up for the physical challenge. We score on half of our chances yesterday, this would not even be a topic today.

Macca

Official Ticketer
Some people on this board just can’t accept paying fans having a dim view on players and their performances.
we can but Kent wasn't to blame for yesterday. the wee man was constantly showing for the ball, dragging the 2 markers he had on him at all times out of the game. every time he got on the ball the tried to make something happen

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Lets not turn on Kent ffs

Yes i expected more from him but they had everyone behind the ball in horrible conditions so it was difficult for him

WATP

we can but Kent wasn't to blame for yesterday. the wee man was constantly showing for the ball, dragging the 2 markers he had on him at all times out of the game. every time he got on the ball the tried to make something happen
He simply didn’t perform to the levels he could and should have....that I think is a fair comment that many posters are stating. I don’t think that could be argued tbh.

Macca

Official Ticketer
He simply didn’t perform to the levels he could and should have....that I think is a fair comment that many posters are stating. I don’t think that could be argued tbh.
what more did you want from his yesterday, are you trying to tell me his movement off the ball wasn't excellent? Is my point on him dragging his 2 markers away not valid? They doubled up on him yesterday to nullify him. In the circumstances I thought he did very well

WATP

what more did you want from his yesterday, are you trying to tell me his movement off the ball wasn't excellent? Is my point on him dragging his 2 markers away not valid? They doubled up on him yesterday to nullify him. In the circumstances I thought he did very well
His job is to get behind the opposition defences, and create chances, Frimpong played him and he didn’t create anything of any significance. Keeping them occupied isn’t enough for our star buy imho.

scooter70

I would still pick Kent but so far he hasn't justified his £7m,McKays faults were there to see but he cost us nothing
Comparing the 2 is total madness

Kent has 100x more ability than, yes hes was poor yesterday but has turned up against them almost everytime he plays, he was my biggest disappointment yesterday but there is some total nonsense being spouted

We absolutely destroyed them yesterday without one of our key men (Davis) playing, one not turning up (Kent) and one having no luck whatsover (Morelos)

I know I shouldn't be shocked but the over reaction on this forum has been mental

Big Buff

His job is to get behind the opposition defences, and create chances, Frimpong played him and he didn’t create anything of any significance. Keeping them occupied isn’t enough for our star buy imho.
Our gameplan was very, very obvious - to attack their left hand side, where they were playing Jonny Hayes at left back.

Guess what? The gameplan worked. We created a shitload of chances and got unlucky on the day. Statistical variance is real and sometimes it'll go against us.

Kent did exactly what he was supposed to yesterday.