Kevin Thomson - Killie job and 'harsh reality'

barcode

Saw this on the BBC website. Felt that his comments on who he could manage were a bit strange. It just doesn't read that great to me, he could have put that a lot better.

Kevin Thomson has revealed he was interviewed for the Kilmarnock job before steering Kelty Hearts to a famous Scottish Cup win over St Johnstone.

But he insists he is fully committed to the League 2 leaders while dreaming of one day being Rangers manager.

Thomson lost out to Derek McInnes in his bid to lead Kilmarnock's promotion charge.

"The feedback I got was brilliant," Thomson told BBC Radio Scotland.

"Everyone knows I was linked with the Killie job. I went down and spoke to Killie - I wanted to put myself in that position to speak to the board. The club [Kelty] are not naive. They know my aspiration is to become a full-time manager at a big club.

"That has to be my path, but at the same time, I am as honest as the day is long and, when that phone call went to Kelty, I wanted to sit in front of a board and sell myself.

"Ultimately, I didn't get the job, but I certainly wasn't disappointed that I didn't get the job because I've got a brilliant job at Kelty and I'm fully focussed and committed to the lads."

Thomson spent three years at Rangers between 2007 and 2010, winning all three domestic trophies in his time at Ibrox and is keen to one day manager the club.

"The harsh reality is I'm never going to be the Celtic manager, so the top for me would be the Rangers manager," said Thomson, who worked at Ibrox as a youth coach before replacing Barry Ferguson at Kelty in May.

"I could be a brilliant manager and have a really successful managerial career and not manage any other team in Scotland.

"I couldn't care who I manage, but one thing is certain is that any club I am with, I will give my all for.

"The harsh reality is that in Scotland depending on who you play for, you are itemised when you become a manager."

I appreciate he thinks he is just being honest, and he is, but I think he could have kept a bit to himself and would have maybe come across a bit better.
He’ll find out soon enough that the way to get by in Scotland is to hate Rangers. He absolutely loves our club but he’s not one of us, no different to an Englishman coming up and adoring our institution but he’s an Edinburgh boy and much like Miller those Hibs allegiances always come out.

"The harsh reality is I'm never going to be the Celtic manager, so the top for me would be the Rangers manager,"

Why is the reality harsh? Why would your brain even have ran through that scenario?

I think you are seeing something that isn't there.
I’m not trying to be daft or a wind up merchant, but what am I looking for here?

Is it just that he’s referred to certain clubs (Celtic), will never hire him because he played for us?

Describing not being able to manage them as a harsh reality and that means the top job is with us. As far as I'm concerned the top job is with us regardless and why would he even think about managing them?

Think he was trying to say there are only two top jobs in Scotland and because he played for Rangers he has one to aim for. Whoever penned the article has made it sound like he will never get the chance to manage Celtic so will need to settle for Rangers.
They have quoted him though, not saying it’s not in accurate but it’s hardly someone ghost writing a Barry Ferguson article

Describing not being able to manage them as a harsh reality and that means the top job is with us. As far as I'm concerned the top job is with us regardless and why would he even think about managing them?
I just never read it that way.
I wasn't looking to find offence, I know what he was meaning whether he was misquoted or not.
He was talking shite about lego though.

I think he was just meaning that there are two top jobs in Scotland, but he’s only eligible for one due to his history.

But yeah, I agree it is worded really poorly.

He’ll find out soon enough that the way to get by in Scotland is to hate Rangers. He absolutely loves our club but he’s not one of us, no different to an Englishman coming up and adoring our institution but he’s an Edinburgh boy and much like Miller those Hibs allegiances always come out.

"The harsh reality is I'm never going to be the Celtic manager, so the top for me would be the Rangers manager,"

Why is the reality harsh? Why would your brain even have ran through that scenario?
Yeah quite an odd comment to make given his playing career, the fact we gave him his first break as a coach and continue to employ him as a pundit on RTV.

He can come across as less than bright at times with the way he phrases things. As has been said, perhaps slightly misquoted. For me though he will never be anywhere near us as a manager.
I went cold on that idea with his commentary at the Motherwell game last season, he was wanting Goldson put up top, Davis at CB to bring the ball out, balls lumped up because we couldn’t break them down. Turns out we could break them down and ultimately did break them down twice iirc. We could never afford a 3 year learn on the job manager again, doing a great job at Kelty but his only route back to us will be via England

“Harsh reality” also mentioned at the end of the article. I think the one at the end of the article is probably his actual quote, and the one mentioning Celtic has been shoehorned in by someone else trying to stir it up.

I went cold on that idea with his commentary at the Motherwell game last season, he was wanting Goldson put up top, Davis at CB to bring the ball out, balls lumped up because we couldn’t break them down. Turns out we could break them down and ultimately did break them down twice iirc. We could never afford a 3 year learn on the job manager again, doing a great job at Kelty but his only route back to us will be via England
Hibs Manager.

He can come across as less than bright at times with the way he phrases things. As has been said, perhaps slightly misquoted. For me though he will never be anywhere near us as a manager.
His interview on sky yesterday was strange.

I find the whole KT thing a bit odd. He's managing Kelty yet appears to think of himself as the next Rangers manager.

Its a no thanks for me.

Defends the indefensible from his good friend the Lego Eater instead of having the nuts to call it out.

Even in the pure footballing terms which these young coaches should all be about the quality of football and not some thick plank acting the cnut on the park.

Doesnt have the mentality to stand in the Rangers Dug out

Pretty sure that’s what the vast majority of people would do.
You can still be a good pal with someone and not approve of their behaviours.

I have a number of pals who I have quite openly told them they are being a bit of a dick

I have no real issue with KT, he’s a great guy from my interactions but I have to refer to his god awful commentary again :))

I appreciate he thinks he is just being honest, and he is, but I think he could have kept a bit to himself and would have maybe come across better.
I feel that way every time he talks. I understand being honest but someone is needing to have a word with him.

His interview on sky yesterday was strange.

I find the whole KT thing a bit odd. He's managing Kelty yet appears to think of himself as the next Rangers manager.
Must have a log in for here,about half the posters seem to think he will be a future Rangers manager lol

I think some people are over thinking this.

Kevin Thompson is a Hibs fan who has a long association with Rangers, both as a player and a member of the coaching staff.

He has never hidden his love for Rangers and his ambition to one day be the Rangers manager.

Harsh realities? A Hibs fan can be a Rangers player and a fans favourite. We are a club open to all.
An ex-Rangers player would never be considered for a management post at CFC.

I think you are seeing something that isn't there.
I feel the same - I don't see anything he says that's not true?

he is never going to be Celtic manager the same as - if Scott Brown when he retires would never be a Rangers manager - no matter how successful he was it just wouldn't happen.

Saw this on the BBC website. Felt that his comments on who he could manage were a bit strange. It just doesn't read that great to me, he could have put that a lot better.

Just posted on the Thompson/Brown that he should never be Rangers manger, and come in here to read these comments.

"The harsh reality is I'm never going to be the Celtic manager, so the top for me would be the Rangers manager’

Felt harsh saying he should have nothing to do with Rangers going forward for the Brown comments. Now I would be extremely disappointed if I even heard his shite on RTV again.

Its a no thanks for me.

Defends the indefensible from his good friend the Lego Eater instead of having the nuts to call it out.

Even in the pure footballing terms which these young coaches should all be about the quality of football and not some thick plank acting the cnut on the park.

Doesnt have the mentality to stand in the Rangers Dug out
This is what I don't get with Thomson. Considering he's been a youth coach and his academy links, he seems happy to condone his pal, Broony and his play acting to try and get people sent off. He talks about how honest he is all the time but won't ever say a word of criticism against Brown.

This is what I don't get with Thomson. Considering he's been a youth coach and his academy links, he seems happy to condone his pal, Broony and his play acting to try and get people sent off. He talks about how honest he is all the time but won't ever say a word of criticism against Brown.
Obviously doesn’t have the intelligence to be able to navigate the question / topic either by the sound of it.

He could have come out and said……….

“He has been about the game long enough that the Rangers players should know what to expect”
“He will use any means to gain an advantage and the Rangers players have to be smarter when dealing with it”
“You may not agree with it but it is effective when teams get caught up in the theatrics and not allowing the quality of their football to take them by it”

Not encouraging or condoning and suitable sitting on the fence.

That is what I would expect from an up and coming young coach.

I like Thomson but I think this “ harsh reality” thing is just the way he speaks. I don’t see him as a great thinker he’s a hard worker a grafter and a good guy but people are reading too much into his wording there. If he had said” having played for Rangers I’m unlikely to ever be given the Celtic manager job, so that leaves one huge job in Scotland I could get” then nobody would complain.

Back