Kilmarnock Press Conference

I've no issue with players being called out in public in a one off basis. It just seems to be happening with more regularity now, after every poor result. Constantly criticising players in public rarely ends well.

I get that he's also probably just trying to coax a reaction out of the players and if they can't take criticism then they don't have the right mentality to play for us. I just feel he's slightly veering close to calling them out in public too much just now.

''Players didn't train well''

''Didn't follow the game plan''

etc etc.

It's slightly concerning to me given him and Allen have brought most of the players in.

I think he's deflecting a little if I'm honest. He bought those players. The fact some of those players aren't up to it ability wise is reflecting badly on him at a time he's still trying to convince fans he's the long term answer.

It's easier to blame poor performances on things like ego/lack of effort in the short term. Not so easy admitting he's bought insufficient quality into the team on long term contracts. Let's face it, he must be wondering if he's made a mess of it with Barisic, Grezda. Even players we suspected would be standouts Defoe and Davis have hardly looked capable of taking the team up a level.

Away you back to Fifa!!

I agree, there’s a lot of good things about having him in, defensively sound, good in the air, driving forward when we need it, but he needs to get better with the ball

Like that young HSV Hamburg defender? The one that's gonna end up at Raith Rovers.

I think he's deflecting a little if I'm honest. He bought those players. The fact some of those players aren't up to it ability wise is reflecting badly on him at a time he's still trying to convince fans he's the long term answer.

It's easier to blame poor performances on things like ego/lack of effort in the short term. Not so easy admitting he's bought insufficient quality into the team on long term contracts. Let's face it, he must be wondering if he's made a mess of it with Barisic, Grezda. Even players we suspected would be standouts Defoe and Davis have hardly looked capable of taking the team up a level.

Our DOF identifies players that fit our "footballing strategy".

Our DOF identifies players that fit our "footballing strategy".

That is a point that is often overlooked. How do we reckon he is doing in that regard?
Genuine question folks....a rating out of 10 if you will since his first window in January 2018. I think, honestly, there's scope to say we've had a few hits, but just as many misses.

That is a point that is often overlooked. How do we reckon he is doing in that regard?
Genuine question folks....a rating out of 10 if you will since his first window in January 2018. I think, honestly, there's scope to say we've had a few hits, but just as many misses.

He selects players with certain characteristics. You must have noticed the similarities between Sadiq and DeFoe?

Why? Why not Barasic, why not Davis, Kent, Middleton etc.

Over to you Miss Marples

Sounds like it is aimed at younger players getting a bit carried away with themselves, you don’t motivate seasoned pros like 34 year old Davis or 38 year old Defoe who’ve been here a month by telling them they have a bad attitude. Can’t see that working, if they are off the pace it’s not through lack of effort.

Would seem exceptionally harsh on Candeais too, a player who always gives his all, very good player on his day but if he was consistent he’d probably still be at Benfica let’s face it.

Like that young HSV Hamburg defender? The one that's gonna end up at Raith Rovers.
There’s a difference with a CB being good with the ball and a midfielder.
Lennon or brown for instance, both play the role I expect we are wanting McCrorie to play and both retain the ball well, which Ross needs to learn

Declan John wasn't shite. He was a decent player and Barisic has shown nothing in a Rangers jersey that would suggest he is any better.

Declan John was terrible. Classic case of a guy in a poor team looking better than he was.

Barisic is clearly a far better footballer.

Thought that press conference was quite worrying actually.

Maybe reading into it too much but there's seems to be a bit of unrest within the dressing room.

Before the St Johnstone game Gerrard said the players looked fired up for it but they just didn't execute the game plan - then today he's saying the opposite?

Also feels as if our sole focus is now on the cup instead of the league.

BTW I don't think Gerrard has done himself any favours by changing half the starting 11 every other game. We've rarely had a settled team.

I think Gerrard finds it hard to hide his emotions at press conferences/ interviews which isn't a good trait for a manager in my opinion.

Totally agree with the squad rotation, even when we were in Europe it was overkill. It undoubtedly cost us points first half of the season.

Lets hope we can win tomorrow night because the seasons effectively done if we lose.

I think Gerrard finds it hard to hide his emotions at press conferences/ interviews which isn't a good trait for a manager in my opinion.

Totally agree with the squad rotation, even when we were in Europe it was overkill. It undoubtedly cost us points first half of the season.

Lets hope we can win tomorrow night because the seasons effectively done if we lose.

Put it this way- if given a choice between a manager who tells us fans in a press conference how it is as opposed to rolling out a few footballing cliches like we heard from Warburton in particular- then I'll take that any day of the week.

You think the Gerrard seen at press conferences displays the same emotions he does behind the scenes?
He does fine, a mix of candour, deception, disrespect when merited there's even a wee twinkle in his eye sometimes.

Grezda, Katic and Barisic seem to be experiencing problems. Anyone know what's going on there?

They may have been playing in what has been described by some as a tough league but, at the end of the day, they were all playing for two-bit teams in front of two men and a dog. The change for them all, in many ways, must have been huge.

Katic, though the youngest, actually seems to have coped better than the other two but still has his 'moments' which are costing him a place in the team. Barisic is a mystery, a player seemingly shorn of all confidence. Grezda deserves a little more time due to injury issues but he's a way to go to convince.

I have been a massive Barisic cheerleader.

From first seeing him play against Petrocub. That’s the left back Rangers need. It was clear.

His performance on Saturday was an abomination, an afront to the Rangers jersey.

I say this on the basis that he has so much ability to surge forward, weave, break lines.

He refused to do it all first half. He refused to make the difference. The person with the tools refused to use them and pass the buck to others without the tools.

An identical situation to his best mate Grezda away to St Johnstone in December.

Sad situation.

Good luck to Andy Halliday tomorrow

I have been a massive Barisic cheerleader.

From first seeing him play against Petrocub. That’s the left back Rangers need. It was clear.

His performance on Saturday was an abomination, an afront to the Rangers jersey.

I say this on the basis that he has so much ability to surge forward, weave, break lines.

He refused to do it all first half. He refused to make the difference. The person with the tools refused to use them and pass the buck to others without the tools.

An identical situation to his best mate Grezda away to St Johnstone in December.

Sad situation.

Good luck to Andy Halliday tomorrow

What an absolute pile of horseshit.

Tell me a player who has never had a bad game and I'll call you a liar.

Barisic is a player clearly struggling to adapt to the game in Scotland and this has not been helped with suffering various niggling injuries.

If you think his performance on Saturday was an affront to the Rangers jersey then clearly you've not watched many games.

I've no issue with players being called out in public in a one off basis. It just seems to be happening with more regularity now, after every poor result. Constantly criticising players in public rarely ends well.

I get that he's also probably just trying to coax a reaction out of the players and if they can't take criticism then they don't have the right mentality to play for us. I just feel he's slightly veering close to calling them out in public too much just now.

''Players didn't train well''

''Didn't follow the game plan''

etc etc.

It's slightly concerning to me given him and Allen have brought most of the players in.
If they are not responsding to him then we know deep down a lot of them are not good enough, good players as you know are consistent like Morelos who is an animal most games, decent players blow hot and cold and thats exactly our problem, too many decent players and not enough quality.

The manager had a huge rebuild to do and when you spread the budget thin this was always going to happen..

I really hope to god come the summer we start getting proper quality in.

Declan John was terrible. Classic case of a guy in a poor team looking better than he was.

Barisic is clearly a far better footballer.

Barisic is so much better the majority of the support are now clamoring for Andy Halliday to replace him at left back o_O

Declan John was terrible? What a load of shite.

If they are not responsding to him then we know deep down a lot of them are not good enough, good players as you know are consistent like Morelos who is an animal most games, decent players blow hot and cold and thats exactly our problem, too many decent players and not enough quality.

The manager had a huge rebuild to do and when you spread the budget thin this was always going to happen..

I really hope to god come the summer we start getting proper quality in.

We really can't afford another full rebuild next summer. It's simply unsustainable and we don't have the funds to do it.

We have a massive squad as it is.

What an absolute pile of horseshit.

Tell me a player who has never had a bad game and I'll call you a liar.

Barisic is a player clearly struggling to adapt to the game in Scotland and this has not been helped with suffering various niggling injuries.

If you think his performance on Saturday was an affront to the Rangers jersey then clearly you've not watched many games.

I watched him 4 times before we signed him. I was one if the main advocates on here for signing him.

I put his name on the back of my new top

I can call his performance whatever I want having sat in the same seat for 20 years watching them all from Stensaas to Numan. I know fine well what I watched.

There is a difference between having a bad game and refusing to contribute. I defended him when he was just ineffective or clearly unfit. The hassle he got then was stupid.

On Saturday first half he was afforded the same space teams normally afford Jon Flanagan (because he isnt very good). He refused to make the difference.

Doesnt mean he wont ‘get it’ in future, but its a costly moment for this seasons outcome.

I have liked what I have seen from barisic. Strange the level of hate he seems to be getting. He can obviously improve but some incredibly over the top comments from some.

I can see it from both sides.

I think he's done well enough after suffering a few injury setbacks but he's not the maurading warrior at LB that i seen play for Osijek, he lost his superpowers when he no longer needed his head bandage.

I'd like to see him get stuck in, as he will be required to do so most weeks playing in Scotland.

The worrying part for me is after 5 mins on Sat you could tell we were going to struggle and not for the first time this season. 85 mins to go and you sense nothing is going to change, tempo, tactics whatever. Truth is we haven't got certain players good enough to win this league and we could argue all day between us what players are actually good enough.Tommorow night we may or may not lift our performance but you already sense that another poor one wont be far away.

I watched him 4 times before we signed him. I was one if the main advocates on here for signing him.

I put his name on the back of my new top

I can call his performance whatever I want having sat in the same seat for 20 years watching them all from Stensaas to Numan. I know fine well what I watched.

There is a difference between having a bad game and refusing to contribute. I defended him when he was just ineffective or clearly unfit. The hassle he got then was stupid.

On Saturday first half he was afforded the same space teams normally afford Jon Flanagan (because he isnt very good). He refused to make the difference.

Doesnt mean he wont ‘get it’ in future, but its a costly moment for this seasons outcome.

I too watched him in the two Europa League games he played before they played us and, of course, in the ties against us. I was absolutely delighted when he made the switch to Ibrox. He looked like he had the potential to be our best left-back since Numan, he was that impressive. We even saw flashes of that in his early games for us.

Now, perhaps due to a string of minor injuries, or maybe because he's finding it all too much of a challenge at Ibrox, he looks utterly devoid of any confidence. The player I watched stumble over the ball on several occasions on Saturday is not the Borna Barisic I watched back in the Summer.

The good news is that we know the player has the ability. We have seen it. Whatever is causing his loss of form/confidence can be righted. I hope. The dilemma for Gerrard is whether he lets him play through it in the hope he rediscovers his form, which risks him costing us goals and a further dent to his confidence, or does he take him out the firing line for a while and give him a break. Or does that too risk further damage to the player's confidence? I suspect, given our faltering league challenge and the difficult Scottish Cup route open to us, the Manager will go for the latter.

I don't think that's entirely accurate but the important thing is that Gerrard is himself, and if that means speaking openly at times so be it- it's the players who have to prove themselves to the manager, not the other way round. I was watching a documentary about Sir Bobby Robson not that long ago, maybe some would said he got emotional, but so what, if that's who he was? Gerrard, like Souness when he was a player, pushed himself to the limit as a player; I expect he demands a very high standard and if it needs said he'll say it.

The middle quote must relate to Candeis IMO. No one doubts he gives us his all but his lack of composure in the big moments is killing us. That chance simply had to be,at least, on target.

Rarely these days does Candeias get himself into good shooting positions, so when chances come up like Saturdays he will rarely make it count now.
I am getting a little tired of seeing if Alfie plays then Candeias has to play to supply the crosses into the box…or he needs to play so he can back up our captain at right back.If all these factors work then great…but if they don’t …then we have 3 players on one side which seems to be a big aspect of our game plan …not functioning!

I have liked what I have seen from barisic. Strange the level of hate he seems to be getting. He can obviously improve but some incredibly over the top comments from some.

I have stuck up for the guy numerous times.

But he was absolutely horrific at the weekend. Fell over his own feet about 3 times in first half alone. Looks absolutely lost in a Rangers Jersey.

Listen, he wasn't alone. But I feel he will be one of the ones Gerrard is most disappointed in. A Croatian internationalist that looks absolutely petrified of doing anything positive. I want Andy Halliday in the side at left back tomorrow. That in itself is testament to what Barisic has shown so far in a Rangers shirt.

Really dunno why Declan John is getting a hard time of it on here. Always thought he was more than decent for us and would've been a good option at left back (ahead of Halliday & Flanagan).

Lets hope not, because we have been here all too often the last 2 seasons.
If he has clocked theres players not cutting it mentally, he needs to get them into the stand.

I agree with that.

The greater concern is this repeated line of ‘the players knew they’d let themselves down’.

That’s fine once or twice, but we’ve seen it consistently every three or four games this season.

It suggests Gerrard isn’t getting through to them, and that’s a much bigger worry given he was brought in in large part to act as an inspirational leader and motivator.

I agree with that.

The greater concern is this repeated line of ‘the players knew they’d let themselves down’.

That’s fine once or twice, but we’ve seen it consistently every three or four games this season.

It suggests Gerrard isn’t getting through to them, and that’s a much bigger worry given he was brought in in large part to act as an inspirational leader and motivator.

Our unprofessional mentality was there long before this manager but he must be given whatever he needs to eradicate it. The worrying thing is that it seems to afflict all players, except Morelos and maybe McGregor, eventually

Before the St Johnstone game Gerrard said the players looked fired up for it but they just didn't execute the game plan - then today he's saying the opposite?

I was concerned by that too.

Told us last Friday the players had trained well for St. Johnstone yet is now saying they had too much of an ego about them.

Our unprofessional mentality was there long before this manager but he must be given whatever he needs to eradicate it. The worrying thing is that it seems to afflict all players, except Morelos and maybe McGregor, eventually

Unfortunately quite a few of the players brought in while Gerrard has been with us have left a lot to be desired in terms of effort and application.

Barisic and Grezda cost over £3m between them yet have yet to convince they have either the ability or the heart to do the job while many of the loans have failed to cut the mustard either - Coulibaly, Ejaria, Sadiq, Davis and Worrall have all left a lot to be desired on that front, so part of the blame does appear to rest with the manager and / or Allen.

The recruitment really hasn’t been particularly hot, if we’re being honest about it, and that’s a bigger concern in terms of the type of player we’re looking to add this summer.

We need to get the next window more or less spot on.

Unfortunately quite a few of the players brought in while Gerrard has been with us have left a lot to be desired in terms of effort and application.

Barisic and Grezda cost over £3m between them yet have yet to convince they have either the ability or the heart to do the job while many of the loans have failed to cut the mustard either - Coulibaly, Ejaria, Sadiq, Davis and Worrall have all left a lot to be desired on that front, so part of the blame does appear to rest with the manager and / or Allen.

The recruitment really hasn’t been particularly hot, if we’re being honest about it, and that’s a bigger concern in terms of the type of player we’re looking to add this summer.

We need to get the next window more or less spot on.

I thought tate Barisic & Grezda were just over £2m, did Gerrrard not say £1.2m each?
Anyway, this mentality thing is IMHO something that needs to be sorted before we bring in new players. it's been there too long. I fear whoever joins will go the same way, it's like it's a contagion.
I don't think I've ever seen a professional footballer look like BB did on Saturday. We sit in row 4 in the Govan front so can see the faces and at times he looked like he shouldn't be performing in public, he looked like he had stage-fright or...... suffering from stress or ..... I don't know what. It was concerning. He wasn't helping young Middleton, either.

I thought the Barisic & Grezda were just over £2m, did Gerrrard not say £1.2m each?
Anyway, this mentality thing is IMHO something that needs to be sorted before we bring in new players. it's been there too long. I fear whoever joins will go the same way, it's like it's a contagion.
I don't think I've ever seen a professional footballer look like BB did on Saturday. We sit in row 4 in the Govan front so can see the faces and at times he looked like he shouldn't be performing in public, he looked like he had stage-fright or...... suffering from stress or ..... I don't know what. It was concerning. He wasn't helping young Middleton, either.

I don’t really buy this idea of an all pervasive loser mentality infecting new recruits.

Firstly it’s the job of Gerrard and his management team to instill a new regime mindset. If he hasn’t managed that after 8 or 9 months in the job having brought in the main body of an entirely new squad, then we’re probably in a bigger pickle than we think.

And secondly, in order for such a mentality to exist it would require most of the players he inherited to be fostering it, yet Morelos, Tav, Candeias, Jack and even Halliday are his go to guys.

So I don’t think that is the issue. More simply I think we just need an infusion of better quality players to help many of the existing players raise their game, and the only way that looks like happening is cold harsh cash, I’m afraid.

Not Goldson, hes just came out and called him a true leader of men in another interview and that he is putting his body through the pain barrier to keep playing

Look back to the game before it started, Worrall was actually sitting on the pitch when someone walked over and tapped him on the head. Where was the jumping about and jogging on the spot to be really up for it?

Worrall was 100% one of them.

Thought that press conference was quite worrying actually.

Maybe reading into it too much but there's seems to be a bit of unrest within the dressing room.

Also feels as if our sole focus is now on the cup instead of the league.

BTW I don't think Gerrard has done himself any favours by changing half the starting 11 every other game. We've rarely had a settled team.

I agree, although, he didn't say what you stated in bold in that context, he said his full concentration is on the cup game, he didn't write the league off.

I think we just need an infusion of better quality players to help many of the existing players raise their game

How long have we been saying this? How many managers?
I appreciate my conclusion is a) far-fetched and b) much more difficult to resolve but it's based on sitting watching players starting out ok and gradually sinking. If it was just lack of quality we'd see it a mile off and we'd see it all the time because they weren't capable of anything else. It might not be great but in the circumstances it'd be acceptable to me if we were seeing what were just poor players. They aren't poor, though, they can do it when it suits and that says mentality to me.
We better agree to disagree, I think.

Jack isn't good enough to be playing with a knock or not 100% and this constant chopping and changing needs to stop.

Barišić has been far from our worst player, what use is it dropping him. Not as if Halliday hasn't had a poor game. If that's the case then Candieas needs dropped, Arfield shouldn't feature, Goldson should drop out, Defoe too...

This squad of players have no right in thinking they are the muts nuts as any time the pressure is on or have the chance to capitalise, they shit the bed.

Just win tomorrow, no bloody excuses.

How long have we been saying this? How many managers?
I appreciate my conclusion is a) far-fetched and b) much more difficult to resolve but it's based on sitting watching players starting out ok and gradually sinking. If it was just lack of quality we'd see it a mile off and we'd see it all the time because they weren't capable of anything else. It might not be great but in the circumstances it'd be acceptable to me if we were seeing what were just poor players. They aren't poor, though, they can do it when it suits and that says mentality to me.
We better agree to disagree, I think.

The players we’ve got are still not good enough to do it on a basis consistent enough to beat the Yahoos to the title.

They’re better, but they’re still a little bit away yet.

I’m sure if we manage to bring in greater quality we’ll see an improvement.

Last edited:
Back