Kyle Bartley

Nothing against bartley but just think goldson is the better player. Would have no problem with him coming back but if we thought we needed him

Loved Bartley laughing and mocking Broonaldo in the tunnel to fucking him in the air 2 minutes in are my fondest memories.

Very raw when he was with us. Always looked a Championship level player along with the likes of Joe Worral and players of that ilk.

I'd have Niko and Edmundsen ahead of him already and they're younger.

The narrative around Bartley and that tackle in particular is bizarre.

Anyone can go out and try to leather someone. I’d prefer my central midfield to dominate the ball and show him up to be the overrated lego eating plastic hard man he is as opposed to put him up in the air after 2mins, get booked and proceed to be run over the top of in a feeble 3-0 loss.

The narrative around Bartley and that tackle in particular is bizarre.

Anyone can go out and try to leather someone. I’d prefer my central midfield to dominate the ball and show him up to be the overrated lego eating plastic hard man he is as opposed to put him up in the air after 2mins, get booked and proceed to be run over the top of in a feeble 3-0 loss.
Seeing that prick go up in the air no matter when it is is always a joy to behold,wether it be the 1st minute or the last!!

I remember that particular tackle on lego , it was nice to see him getting a taste of his own medicine and it made the untouchable broonie look like a whining injured puppy .

4 pages and still no meme of that brilliant big grin? Im on my Xbox at the minute so I cant post it.

Fair point, comparing with our current guys.
But I liked Bartley. Scary to think that was ~8-9 years ago. Jeez.

Parent club Arsenal didn't appear to think there was a future, in spite of their own defensive saga.

Very raw when he was with us. Always looked a Championship level player along with the likes of Joe Worral and players of that ilk.

How can you say you prefer Edmundson? He’s played against St Joseph’s, Hamilton and Wrexham. Bartley is a far superior defender on the evidence we have seen.

Granted he was raw when with us, but Bartley wasn't a great reader of the game and that was why he was 'all action' when getting involved and recovering. Physically a great player, but just lacking that top-level awareness.

Remember him making his Ibrox debut, (as a sub against Hearts if memory serves) thinking "let's see what we've got here then"

Within about 90 seconds he absolutely cleaned out one of the Hearts boys in a tackle.

"He'll do"

Watching the WBA v Stoke game tonight and seeing Bartley reminded me of when he was with us (can't believe it was 8 years ago).
I did a google search on him and found out that SG was interested in signing him from Swansea (or was it just paper talk?)

Anyway, it never happened and we signed Goldson instead.

Interested to hear FF opinion - did we get a better player in Goldson?
Unbelievable that it’s 8 years ago, frightening!

I think at the time of signing Goldson they were both at the same level, but upon getting regular game time again Goldson has improved considerably more than Bartley.

Back