Laudrup v Cooper

Who was better Laudrup or Cooper?

• Total voters
Laudrup is the best attacking player we’ve ever had imo.

Pre injury Mols might have something to say about that ;). Maybe have given Laudrup a run for his money if he hadn’t picked up that nightmare injury

I was gutted when Mols got that injury and he still went in the have a fine career with us even after that. Can’t help but think of how good he might have been for us had he not got injured though

Not a crazy thought, by any stretch of the imagination.

Walters was a wonderful player for us. We all knew the wee stepover was coming but defenders just couldn’t seem to cope with it. He also swung over a lovely cross.

He never gets the credit he deserves, I suspect because his career was sandwiched between Cooper and Laudrup.

Id have MW ahead of Coops but nowhere near Laudrup

I didn't have the privilege of seeing Cooper play on a regular basis, but I did Laudrup, and I'll always be grateful for that

Laudrup better than Cooper?! Must be lots of younger people who never saw Davie in his prime! Worst vote ever on FF. Shameful from this forum. Never been so disgusted since I joined Follow Follow many moons ago. Laudrup was surrounded with great players. Davie had to play beside several donkeys. Best player ever to grace Ibrox and a real supporter to boot. Bedtime for me.

Different times make a lot of difference for me. The skill Davie had with the old heavy balls was on a par with Laudrup. The Great Dane had more pace but if Davie played now, messi would have competition skills wise.

So, I cant decide.

Back in the good old days before PC took over, Mrs Cutlass had a classroom in CHS that was literally a shrine to Davie Cooper...signed photos, posters, scarves, cards...the lot!
Nowadays she'd be front page news in The Sun! :eek:
Like most Bears I have an admiration for Davie Cooper that certainly has him in my top five ever Rangers players but if I'm being honest with myself Brian Laudrup along with Gazza are the most talented players I've ever had the pleasure to watch in a blue jersey!

No disrespect to Cooper, who was a great player in a mostly poor team, but in my time we've had many great wingers but I'd put Cooper behind, Scott, Henderson, Wilson, wee Bud, Laudrup,but in front of wee Calimero

Cooper was brilliant, won more trophies, played in worse teams yet Im still being realistic and voting the sensational, athletic, two footed, glide past players, goal scoring, goal creating Dane.

Head rules the heart on this ocassion.
Sorry Davie!
But you would the first to admit that Lauders was the superior.
But not…by much!

Had the pleasure of seeing both, Laudrup by a long shot and that's taking nothing away from DC, he was an outstanding talent as well.

Mccoist has to be in with a shot for being one of the best players at rangers if you ask me. Not on the same level skills wise but there's rarely been a better player at putting the ball in the net.

I agree that Coop carried some Rangers teams, but if we’re completely honest, Laudrup carried us in that crucial 9IAR season, yeah the squad still looked good on paper but too many didn’t really turn up and he absolutely drove us on and took us to that 9th title.

Both magical but brian running at a defence full pelt was a sight to behold
The the thing was laudrup could get stuck in and tackle and win the ball also much more than cooper also scored with his head more .

In terms of best ever player in my liftime
I find it hard to separate him and gazza .

Cooper was great laudrup was greater

Jesus I’ve heard it all now. Mark Walters ahead of Davie cooper. Ffs. Off to watch a movie.

All about opinions mate. I was very young when Coops was in his twighlight years and like I said further up the thread my first ever real memeory was a cooper performance against hibs. Started going week in week out with my uncle in Walters first season and some of his performances were breathtaking to a young kid as I was at the time.

B L by a country mile. We didn’t realise what we had until he was long gone. He had it all left foot, right foot. and heading ability. Best I’ve ever seen in a Gers strip and I’m drawing my pension.

Had the pleasure of seeing both and I'm not answering the poll since as far as I'm concerned they were actually quite different players. Coop was a hug the touchline winger. Which isn't to say that he couldn't cut inside and cause havoc. But, in my opinion he was basically an old school winger. A very very good one though, and probably one of the last of the twinkle-toed generation of wingers who could beat a man by tying him in knots.

Laudrup could play anywhere across the front line, was a bit more direct and pacier. I'm sure he was over six foot tall too. A strong, pacy and very skilful athlete.

If someone put a gun to my head and I could only pick one of them for my team though then it would be Laudrup every time. More consistently dangerous than Davie was. In fact I think Laudrup is the best player I've seen in a Rangers shirt.

Impossible. Loved them both with a passion as I did Willie Johnstone. But with different players alongside them we can’t really judge. If they played in the same era then maybe. But unfair to do so.

Had the pleasure of seeing both and I'm not answering the poll since as far as I'm concerned they were actually quite different players. Coop was a hug the touchline winger. Which isn't to say that he couldn't cut inside and cause havoc. But, in my opinion he was basically an old school winger. A very very good one though, and probably one of the last of the twinkle-toed generation of wingers who could beat a man by tying him in knots.

Laudrup could play anywhere across the front line, was a bit more direct and pacier. I'm sure he was over six foot tall too. A strong, pacy and very skilful athlete.

If someone put a gun to my head and I could only pick one of them for my team though then it would be Laudrup every time. More consistently dangerous than Davie was. In fact I think Laudrup is the best player I've seen in a Rangers shirt.

fairly sure he was the tallest player in the squad at the time

Cooper was my favourite player. He was a class act.

However I had to vote for Laudrup as he was by far the better player.

Both players supreme but Laudrup gets my vote. I would suggest another vote and that would be Laudrup v Gascoigne

Cooper was my hero. Laudrup came along and was better.

But you have to love this,

Last edited:
I was lucky to see both. I loved Davie Cooper, my first hero in a Rangers jersey. But Laudrup did it week in and week out, and we were so lucky to have him.

Laudrup edges it for me.

Brian Laudrup is the best player to ever play in Scotland, and unless some miracle happens and Scotland produce somebody better, then he will forever be the best player to play in Scotland.

Both magical but brian running at a defence full pelt was a sight to behold
The the thing was laudrup could get stuck in and tackle and win the ball also much more than cooper also scored with his head more .

In terms of best ever player in my liftime
I find it hard to separate him and gazza .

Cooper was great laudrup was greater

I'm pretty sure that the goal at Tannadice was Laudrups only headed goal for us.

I'll settle this now.. I seen them both. Many many times.
Better? Better than what?
Cooper had more skill, Natural talent and magic.
Laudrup had more pace , finese and goal scoring ability.
The question should be who would you have in your team ???
For me Laudrup.
To watch, Cooper. All day long!

Never saw Cooper, but of the people I know who saw both, I don't know anyone who thinks Cooper was better.

I also don't know anyone who thought Cooper was better than Henderson either, if they'd seen both play at their peak.

No slight on Davie though, as he was an incredible player, with an absolute wand of a left foot.

It's just that the other 2 were absolutely top drawer.
If both players played in the same era, I think Cooper would have been the winner here.

Cooper was and is still my hero, a wonderful football player. Laudrup was that wee bit special. The greatest football player I’ve ever seen wear the colours.

I think it’s fair to say Laudrup was only rivalled by Baxter?

I didn’t see them all, but on the clips I’ve seen, Laudrup is the best Rangers player I have ever witnessed.

He’s God for a reason.

I have seen both their entire careers at Ibrox and it's always difficult to separate great players and they were both great players, In My opinion, both were sublime.
Davie, without doubt, was the better Ranger but I think Brian was a more consistent performer, but not by much.
Davie in his first season was incredible and also his first season with Souness. Brian had 3 great seasons, So imo Davie was the better servant but Brian was the better Player.

I chose Brian Laudrup because he was quite simply outstanding.

Davie Cooper had the misfortune of playing in a relatively weak Rangers team when the game up here was beginning to be ruined by the physical side. He was an old-fashioned sort of player and would undoubtedly have achieved much more back in the 50s or 60s.
Davie Cooper could have played in any decade

That was a hard decision, nice thread OP. Eventually decided on Laudrup as he could pretty much play anywhere up front. Cooper was restricted to the left wing but his left foot was a magic wand and his dribbling I would say better than Laudrups.
Davie played plenty of times on the right wing

Back