Lawrence and Dowell Not Good Enough!

That is the level of player we can afford, I’m afraid.

None of them are Clement’s players though, but he did say he doesn’t tend to get involved in transfers, which makes it sound like he prefers a DoF to make those calls allowing him to focus on coaching the players.

Sadly at the moment, he’s not making the best job of doing that either.

The level of player we can afford?

We shop in the most over saturated market in world football, and pay bang average journeyman 25-30k a week.

Meanwhile the Tims shop around Europe and Asia and sign players on a third of that a week. When they do well they get new deals.

Imagine signing crocked losers from mid table English Championship sides and it going wrong. Mental.

We can afford much better. We don’t have a sustainable or varied enough scouting system to see that come to fruition.

Not a dig at you mate but not a single player in Poland, Serbia, Czechia, Romania, Norway, Sweden, Finland will be getting a wage close to what Lawrence is getting at us.

We need to broaden our reach from the English second tier.
Hopefully our scouting will change now koppen is in and not previous players we tried to sign years ago

2 players of many that should be moved on......if its possible.
Rather see young lads given a chance
Wouldn't do any worse

How many players genuinely improve after joining us?

In recent years I can only really think of Basey.

Against this, an alarming number regress badly. In particular,midfielders seem to change their games and lose any goal threat they may have possessed. Even Diomande has curbed his instinct and ability to shoot from range that he showed initially.

If this happens to lower/midrange EFL players it's not hard to see where it leads us.

Weak and lazy!
The number of times Lawrence in particular was trotting around like it was a kickabout in the local park was pathetic. Same in the OF game.
Dowell trotting back at celtc 3rd goal
Neither has Rangers class or fight required!
Lawrence has been such a big disappointment.

Yip, overall they haven’t been good enough, simple as. There isn’t nearly enough creative play from the midfield and hasn’t been for a long time. I’ve been a wee bit disappointed with Clements style if being honest, we’re relying on long balls and still most moves end with crosses into the box after minutes of bland possession.
433 is the formation to win in Scotland by going for it big style with urgency and pace, it’s staring us in the face. Maybe not in Europe but anything in Europe is a bonus.

Lawrence and Dowell defo not up to the mark

We need to try and offload in the summer

Raskin must be really poor in training and a bad attitude as how do these two get picked before him is bizarre

Lawrence at the County 3rd goal was pathetic. Tracks the runner and somehow allows their player to get past him and square the ball for their goal

Dowell is the most Beale signing of the lot. Offers nothing we don't already have, average squad player at Championship level. Would have been great for QPR probably.

Last edited:
Always felt that Lawrence was an inferior player to Hagi and never really took to the idea of Dowell. Dowell has been a waste of a wage, and we had plenty of prior warning about his injury history before we signed him. Neither of them are good enough, and we should look to get the both of them off the wage bill in the summer. Diomande has delivered more than the pair of them, in under 4 months.

Between the two of them, they must be on the guts of 50k a week, and the two of them look well below par. We could probably have 3 players on a similar wage outlay, who deliver way more regularly. Other clubs of our stature manage to pull that off. An absolutely obscene amount of money to be wasting, sadly though that's what we've been doing for the last few years in the market. Davies is another one who is indicative of our transfer policy in the past 3 seasons. Over inflated wages, for Championship players with no real resale value.

It's going to take Koppen a few windows to correct all of that. More Cortes and Diomande's please Nils.

If we really must sign Championship players, could we find a couple with a bit of heart and dig about them, rather than namby pamby Fontleroys who drift about refusing to get their hands dirty.

Lawrence was allegedly going to be scoring from range regularly whereas in reality he’s too scared to even shoot from six yards
Dowell hasn’t been muddy yet, I bet the kit man loves him.

Our manager is unfortunately as reactionary as the support and many on here. A better than sh!te 5 mins and a player is a shoe in to start the next game. And what happens when he gets more than 5 mins? He's utter sh!te like the rest.

Been saying this about Lawrence for long enough, Seems to get a free pass. while Cantwell is the target for the boo boys. As for Dowell, Boy would struggle in the juniors.

Always felt that Lawrence was an inferior player to Hagi and never really took to the idea of Dowell. Dowell has been a waste of a wage, and we had plenty of prior warning about his injury history before we signed him. Neither of them are good enough, and we should look to get the both of them off the wage bill in the summer. Diomande has delivered more than the pair of them, in under 4 months.

Between the two of them, they must be on the guts of 50k a week, and the two of them look well below par. We could probably have 3 players on a similar wage outlay, who deliver way more regularly. Other clubs of our stature manage to pull that off. An absolutely obscene amount of money to be wasting, sadly though that's what we've been doing for the last few years in the market. Davies is another one who is indicative of our transfer policy in the past 3 seasons. Over inflated wages, for Championship players with no real resale value.

It's going to take Koppen a few windows to correct all of that. More Cortes and Diomande's please Nils.
Neither Lawrence or Dowell are centre mids. We are wide open when they play there and we fail to control the game.

Lawrence looked really good before that injury. Some players just don't recover from injuries that severe.

We were told Dowell was lightweight and always injured when we signed him. So far he's been lightweight and always injured.

Dowell is the most Beale signing of the lot. Offers nothing we don't what have, average squad player at Championship level. Would have been great for QPR probably.

Convinced this was done as a favour to the player whom Beale knew as a youth.

Another one of these ‘beige’ players in our squad who simply exist and contribute very little on the field.

Neither Lawrence or Dowell are centre mids. We are wide open when they play there and we fail to control the game.
This 100%

If selected they should only be considered for the wide fwd roles or as 10 if cantwell is missing

Midfield should be Lundstram and diomande with sterling as cover
Jack and raskin seem to be done

It's easy for people to get at Lundstram yesterday but he was a 1 man midfield

All these players have different skills and tools they bring but it seems to me heart is not one of them . NFL teams will pick heart over skill at times .

Who is good enough? Personally, with the exception of Sterling and Diomande, there is no-one in the squad of players we currently have on permanent deals, I'd be heartbroken to lose this summer. I'd have added Yilmaz but for his injury problems. Obviously a significant proportion of what we have will remain, but the manager needs 3 transfer windows before he can really be judged.

Weak and lazy!
The number of times Lawrence in particular was trotting around like it was a kickabout in the local park was pathetic. Same in the OF game.
Some fans seem to like Dowells vision and that he can find a pass others can’t but in terms of work rate he’s shocking for not tracking his man. Lawrence is the same, I would only ever use him sparingly and never ever start him in a battle.

Only thing I can even think about Dowell doing was score vs Livi been out injured most of the season.

Lawrence has shown he can score in crucial games like Killie away, like 1 good game in every 5 unless he gets injured.

If we want to improve & seriously challenge, our recruitment must refocus its strategy.

I genuinely thought Lawrence would be an important player when fully fit but unfortunately he has been a big letdown. Yes he has had his moments, two massive goals v Killie and Benfica being the high spots, but has never taken a game by the scruff of the neck and bossed it.

With so little game time up to the January break I eas expecting him to be fresh and drive the team on as an 8 or 10 but in past few weeks he has played the invisible man, none more so that an abject OF performance last week.

Definitely not giving value for his big pay packet and another in a ling list that I'd be more than happy not to be a Rangers player come next season.

Constant midfield tinkering doesn't help. Obviously injuries have meant Diomande has dropped out but Lundstram is the only player guaranteed to start with Dowell, Lawrence, Cantwell, Sterling all rotating - Raskin seems to be well out of the picture.

Lawrence played well when he played in the holding/playmaking role in a couple of home
Games. However his legs have gone to play number 10 role. He can’t track back. I’ve said it on another thread it’s one of the issues we have at the moment that our two midfielders are so over run when our moves break down because we are effectively playing with 4 up front: and I include Cantwell in that/ out of possession he is terrible .

In truth, I think he was vastly over-rated by us, in the first place. Last summer, folks on here were telling us, he was 'a £30m player'. We don't half, like to blow our own trumpet, when it comes to evaluating our own players.

Raskin was bumming himself up during preseason, saying we were his stepping to the EPL, with his sights set on Chelsea. Fair to say the lad is deluded.

Wilson signings written all over those two, Lawrence ok if he was younger. Dowell is a real head scratcher, sicknote of a player, decent footballer but nothing like what we required.

The problem with most of our attacking signings is their quality in terms of consistency. The best players aren’t necessarily more skilful - the difference is they perform at a high level more often.

Lawrence can be a match winner - doesn’t show it enough.
Dowell can be dynamic - doesn’t show it enough.
Cantwell can create and score - doesn’t do it enough.

And it’s gone back seasons now. Kent, Aribo, Hagi, Wright.

The goals and assists stats say everything. Not enough numbers. Attacking players regularly out performed by the right back.

It's easy for people to get at Lundstram yesterday but he was a 1 man midfield
Huge mistake not to start Sterling centre mid, and I said that before the game so it's not just hindsight. The selection in centre mid had complacency written all over it.

Weak and lazy!

This could be every single outfield player in our squad

obviously the injury has to be taken into consideration but I’ve been very disappointed with Lawrence lack of goals. There were flashes such as his goal against Hibs and Benfica but I can’t remember any long range goals like he seemed to score at Derby.

With Dowell we got exactly what we knew we would. A decent player who when fit and a number of games under his belt would do ok. Only problem is that he can’t stay fit to get the games under his belt.

There were plenty blowing smoke up Lawrence’s back end a month ago.
I couldnt believe the swooning over him. He doesn't break a sweat. A lazier player would be hard to find. Oh but he reads the game really well apparently. Hope he goes and reads it for someone else, because he's a total dud who doesnt give a shit.

I think it's hard to judge everyone given the mishmash style and way on which we 'play football'. It's disorganised chaos .

Back