Leon Balogun

Should we give Leon Balogun a new contract?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
No. Souttar in my opinion was brought in as baloguns replacement previously as rhe spare centre back and ended up playing week in week out so ideally we get two new starting cbs with souttar as spare potentially although goldson will be here next year with potentially 3months out with medial knee ligament injury dont see anyone buying him till his fitness is proved again

In the past I would have voted yes, sentimental nonsense.

We need better, more consistent players. Needs to go.

He’s perfect for the 4th CB spot. Strong, quick and reliable when not asked to play twice a week. He’s been fit all season.

I think we need to sell Goldson and Davies and try sign two new first team starters. Souttar 3rd choice and Balogun 4th choice.

Yes. Squad game and the big man will be cheap and can definitely play a part.

Cant change every single player in a summer

Who the %^*& is JC?

Is it hard to write out the player’s names?

220px-2023-04-22-Joan_Collins_Goldene_Sonne_2023_-5313.jpg

Yes.

Goldson ond Davies hopefully will be away. Getting in 3 new centre halfs who are reliable is unrealistic.

Better off trying to find 2 first team starters that we are able to rely on any combination of them or Souttar wity Balogun 4th choice.
Goldson is going nowhere with that bad an injury.

And I didn’t believe the Saudi stuff was real to begin with.

Yes. He’s proven me wrong this season

Didn’t want him, but he’s been solid

Clearly super fit and I see no reason why he can’t be another Davie Weir and play till his late 30s

Out of contract on 31st May.

Simple question: should we offer him a new contract?

I voted yes. As part of the squad & a good experienced head around the dressing room that has a genuine love for the club.

Not as a first team starter.

Is there a correlation between posters who want to keep the aging, injury prone, error every game Balogun and those who want to chase Goldson for precisely the same things?

I like the big guy, but it's time to move on.

Last edited:
Yes. A good back up option to have. Always gives his all and the young players could learn a thing or two off of him.

Reactions: VGM
Yes, he is currently our best centre half imo. Goldon and Davies off, with 2 signed as "starters", big Leon and Souttar there to make up the 4.

Realistically all 4 would play plenty over the course of the season, and big Leon is still more than good enough to be a Rangers player in this league.

What we may want as fans and what can be done as a club are 2 entirely different things.

We can't get rid of everyone and start from scratch.
Of course we can! We can sign a whole new team and also totally rebuild the stadium over the summer as well! Sorry, Craigie, I’m being sarcastic, but too many people on here appear to live in fantasy bubble and have very little idea of the real world when it comes to what we can do. They seem to have a problem in distinguishing SHOULD from CAN.

We have 5 centre halves in balogun, king, soutarr, davies and goldson.

Davies and King straight are not good enough even as back up and need to leave.

Balogun is a short term fix , Goldson will now pick up injuries and Soutarr has history there.

To me Goldson / Balogun should leave in a year which leaves Soutarr.

We need 2 quality centre halfes urgently and move on 2 or 3 of the above.

1 year deal, 4th choice. He's proven this season he can come in after being in the cold for a while and play to a pretty decent standard. I'm sure he's a good influence around the dressing room.

But if we re-sign him and don't address the position to get higher standard first team players, we will have problems.

Reactions: VGM
As 3rd Choice with 2 new CB as don’t think Balogun be massive wages and have no worries if he needed played on occasions next season

Ideal squad player. Good enough for Ibrox matches v bottom 6 type teams to give others a rest. Too many have this obsession with a squad of 25 year olds.

If injuries are again a factor next season, he is a very good said player and replacement. I have no issues signing him for another year, whilst agreeing a revamp in defense is needed.

We keep 5 clean sheets from now on in then I maybe change my mind, but I’d move on a move up King in pecking order.
Replacing 2 CB’s with better is a must.

Yep, proved this season he's a decent backup and I doubt he'd be on a huge wage.

We keep 5 clean sheets from now on in then I maybe change my mind, but I’d move on a move up King in pecking order.
Replacing 2 CB’s with better is a must.

King has had three cameo appearances all season, he's nowhere near it.

No.

Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun, Souttar all around and part of the defence next season is too much from this current squad. If we don’t find a buyer for Ridvan or Davies they too will still be here next season.

Some of our best CH have been old and played for us - Weir / Gough / Bocanegro . I would keep for the occasional game, but also to pass experience of club & expectations.

Giving the likes of Balogun a new deal doesn’t affect our budget really as he’s a low earner, So I’d keep him as back up for that reason alone. Getting Ben Davies out the door has to be a big priority this summer

We are going to have a big turnaround this close season (again). My own view is we need 2 CBs a left sided one and a right sided one. These would be to replace Davies and Goldson. The last thing we need is another one over and above. One last season for him doing the job he is now.

It’s going to be a big enough rebuild as it is without letting good covering players leave
I’d give the big man one more season

Manager said he'll be back for pre season training not sure why that dictates he'll be going nowhere.
Exactly. People taking he's out for the season like it's a terrible injury. Season finishes in three weeks!

We made the mistake of letting him go. He’s been good for us but at that age and injuries we can’t rely on him for cover.

Need a new back line to move forward so it’s a no from me.

No brainer as 4th choice if his wage demands aren’t too low. Certainly would feel more comfortable with him stepping in than Ben Davies

Back