Lets not forget Gerrard's part in this mess

Gerrard was let down by the board.

It's on them. Simple as that. Complacent.
Gerards team not getting past a very average Malmö is what let us down! You can’t spend what you don’t have!

If Rangers got into the UCL then money would have been available. That failure is down to Gerard!

Celtic were rebuilding at the start of the season and we should have been out of sight but we dropped stupid points like losing to a piss poor Dundee United.

Gerrard left us a title-winning title but he didn't leave us a club with a winning mentality.

He was slated - often by Celtic fans - for a poor return in the cups (reached one cup final) but I always thought the failure to progress in the League and Scottish Cups was down to a lack of drive or ambition that is meant to define Rangers.

His departure wasn't Shankly leaving Liverpool and Paisley taking over. And if someone can't come in and take over where you left off, the adequate infrastructure hasn't been there in the first place (Fergie at United, for instance).

Said pretty much the same to my old man last night and still feel there should have been a shake up after 55 was won, meaning players released and new brought in..
Agreed but what if Gerrard was told he would only get a portion of net sales? He made it clear in an interview that he 'got the players he could', the question was did he get the players he wanted. Says it all to me. The board and the DofF are incompetent IMO.

Manager asked to win a league against a side spending £20+ million while all his targets are vetoed and he’s left with bargain basement junk
He’s then offered a job with real money, closer to home and realistic expectations.

I don’t blame him for leaving.

And straight away two of his signings at Villa improved the squad with one being exceptional.

Gerrard done well but was stubborn with some of his tactics. We wouldn't have lost yesterday. All the hugging at the start turned my stomach. GVB is not the man either.

While we are rightly hurting, with GVB, Wilson and the board getting justified stick for their various shortcomings, lets not forget 'Stevie G's' part in this

I think we all remember how half-arsed our pre season was. Then there are the stories of Gerrard vetoing big money bids for several of our players - inevitably losing us real cash when those contracts run down. On reflection I believe Gerrard himself had checked out and was actively looking to get out. This seeped into our football

Malmo was a disaster. Going through on away goals at half time of our home leg with a man advantage then completely capitulating. A result that will cost us tens of millions. And its not all about money. Our performances have been mediocre at best domestically - while Gerrard left us with a 6 point advantage our run of fixtures had been comparatively easy compared to Celtic up to that point. It is also, historically, very difficult for a new manager to come in mid season and win a league title

Gerrard brought us 55 and for that I'll be eternally grateful. But that appears to be an anomaly and neither can it afford a free pass to his squad that have repeatedly shat the bad in big league games and major cup competitions (our record at Hampden under him and in cup ties generally is an absolute disgrace). It shouldn't be forgotten that its these same offenders that are on the verge of getting his replacement sacked

GVB deserves much of the criticism coming his way, but he is playing with Wilson and Gerrard's bottlers and environment left by Gerrard in that changing room - lets not forget that
I get the impression that it wouldn't have taken much for Stevie to move, but the Board going back on promises after the title was won seemed to have changed his demeanor from then on. In hindsight could/ should the Board have speculated to accumulate to bring in a couple of quality signings that might have made the difference with regard to CL.

Both of these things aren’t solely controlled by the manager.

The Board didn’t back Gerrard in the summer and we sat still while they strengthened. That’s always suicidal in football.
The Board did back Gerrard by allowing him to keep all his players despite the Club having a 23 million deficit.This place would have gone into meltdown if Alfie had been sold and the Directors would have been accused of lacking ambition.

I disagree with a lot of things said but GvB is not the man to take us forward. Whatever it costs get Stevie G back with his family too. He would never have lost that game.

I disagree with a lot of things said but GvB is not the man to take us forward. Whatever it costs get Stevie G back with his family too. He would never have lost that game.
Lol. Gerrard is never coming back to Rangers

Thank christ

Gio came in and had a healthy lead,Celtic hadn't beaten us in almost 3 years. I think this is all on Gio and the board.

The reformatting of history around this lead is getting boak inducing for me. Celtic were in absolute disarray at the start of the season, and when Gerrard left we were 6 points ahead ONLY because we beat them at Ibrox plain and simple! It was shameful that we didn't take more advantage of their chaos. That is on SG and his team, no more, no less, no one else. We should have been double digits out of sight. Add to that blowing the Malmo game, and Gerrard is absolutely culpable too. They have got better, and we are as unreliable now as we were in the first third of the season, spurning chances game after game, and giving up avoidable goals. A perfect recipe for the disaster we are now experiencing. The damage was hidden well by the Europa run.

While we are rightly hurting, with GVB, Wilson and the board getting justified stick for their various shortcomings, lets not forget 'Stevie G's' part in this

I think we all remember how half-arsed our pre season was. Then there are the stories of Gerrard vetoing big money bids for several of our players - inevitably losing us real cash when those contracts run down. On reflection I believe Gerrard himself had checked out and was actively looking to get out. This seeped into our football

Malmo was a disaster. Going through on away goals at half time of our home leg with a man advantage then completely capitulating. A result that will cost us tens of millions. And its not all about money. Our performances have been mediocre at best domestically - while Gerrard left us with a 6 point advantage our run of fixtures had been comparatively easy compared to Celtic up to that point. It is also, historically, very difficult for a new manager to come in mid season and win a league title

Gerrard brought us 55 and for that I'll be eternally grateful. But that appears to be an anomaly and neither can it afford a free pass to his squad that have repeatedly shat the bad in big league games and major cup competitions (our record at Hampden under him and in cup ties generally is an absolute disgrace). It shouldn't be forgotten that its these same offenders that are on the verge of getting his replacement sacked

GVB deserves much of the criticism coming his way, but he is playing with Wilson and Gerrard's bottlers and environment left by Gerrard in that changing room - lets not forget that
One of the reasons Gerrard gave for leaving was around the support (or lack of) he was getting from the board.
Liverpool in the 80s used to say when you win, improve the team for the following season. We didn’t choose to do that I assume for financial reasons.
We mismanaged the whole situation from the very top.
Had the board given Gerrard money for transfers I suspect Gerrard would still have left us maybe not just so soon

The reformatting of history around this lead is getting boak inducing for me. Celtic were in absolute disarray at the start of the season, and when Gerrard left we were 6 points ahead ONLY because we beat them at Ibrox plain and simple! It was shameful that we didn't take more advantage of their chaos. That is on SG and his team, no more, no less, no one else. We should have been double digits out of sight. Add to that blowing the Malmo game, and Gerrard is absolutely culpable too. They have got better, and we are as unreliable now as we were in the first third of the season, spurning chances game after game, and giving up avoidable goals. A perfect recipe for the disaster we are now experiencing. The damage was hidden well by the Europa run.
With they’d just go to a Villa forum. Although they might not enjoy it much there either given their fans aren’t fanny jazzled by his mere presence.

I don’t think this mess involve Gerrard. We haven’t strengthened from a winning position. We’ve gambled that the team we had would continue its high levels.

We’ve barely signed an improved regular starter in years.

Gerrard and Park had no relationship by the end.

And Kent has a release clause Leeds didn’t meet so Gerrard would’ve had no say in the bid if they’d matched it.

He thought he was getting funds. This didn’t materialise. He left us in a far better position than we now find ourselves.
How much is Kent’s release clause

Gerrard and Park had no relationship by the end.

And Kent has a release clause Leeds didn’t meet so Gerrard would’ve had no say in the bid if they’d matched it.

He thought he was getting funds. This didn’t materialise. He left us in a far better position than we now find ourselves.

Maybe he should have beat malmo then

If Gerrard is still here we are still top of the league imo
Nope. The signs were already there that this team peaked last season. We have been garbage, bar the odd performance, since January 2021.

There should have been an overhaul of the starting XI in the summer.

We bottled the easiest opportunity of a treble last season in my memory. Forever thankful for 55, however I can’t wait to see the back of most of those players. GvB? I will refrain from commenting on him until 2 weeks today.

He instigated this shambles.

No he didn't. Same players, different season.

The management have, in my opinion, failed to put a team out that can compete from the same level as last year.

I think it was a great achievment last year on the basis that the 55 was there to win, and they may go down as heroes.

Which they did.

But i feel that they think their job is finished hence the shite performances this year.

Lacklustre springs to mind.

Nope. The signs were already there that this team peaked last season. We have been garbage, bar the odd performance, since January 2021.

There should have been an overhaul of the starting XI in the summer.

We bottled the easiest opportunity of a treble last season in my memory. Forever thankful for 55, however I can’t wait to see the back of most of those players. GvB? I will refrain from commenting on him until 2 weeks today.
Yeah Gerrard owned them and destroyed them mentally now they are back to treating us with contempt

Yeah Gerrard owned them and destroyed them mentally now they are back to treating us with contempt
Oh I agree with that mate, 100%, however we were a shadow of the team that won the league. The filth were a shambles and we thought we could just take our foot off the gas and plod along without improving the starting 11.

If that mob win a treble it will be absolutely shameful and a total embarrassment. The board, Ross Wilson, the management and players should be f()cking ashamed of themselves.

Oh I agree with that mate, 100%, however we were a shadow of the team that won the league. The filth were a shambles and we thought we could just take our foot off the gas and plod along without improving the starting 11.

If that mob win a treble it will be absolutely shameful and a total embarrassment. The board, Ross Wilson, the management and players should be f()cking ashamed of themselves.
I agree if they win the treble it will be a disgrace and totally on the board,management and players we have totally blown it

Maybe one of the reasons Gerrard left was because he saw the hunger and desire not there anymore in his squad.
I don’t think you can shift the blame onto him.
For me, no one at the club could see that this squad didn’t have it in them to push for more trophies this season.

He would've had a better chance of beating Malmo if the board backed him and he got the chance to freshen up the playing squad.
If we'd bought better players pre Malmo undoubtedly we'd have had a better chance of beating them.

That said, the way those games unfolded - level on agg with a man advantage for 45 mins in front of a full Ibrox, the outcome should never have been in doubt.

Only Gerrard and the board know what was or wasn't promised and if circumstances changed why.

The board are 100% to blame. After winning 55 thoughts turned immediately to how do we get our money back not how do we improve the squad to ensure champions league football and title 56. They are the reason Gerrard left and were responsible for the GVB appointment.

Maybe one of the reasons Gerrard left was because he saw the hunger and desire not there anymore in his squad.
Every squad needs a few fresh faces every season which is part and parcel of either generating hunger and desire or keeping it going (most managers will tell you that is the case). Celtic had that this season, we didn't.

Need to judge Van Bronckhorst over the course of nexrt season and a couple of transfer windows - any new manager is entitled to a squad of his own making (this one under both managers is/was clearly done).

And the beginning of our defensive rot started in the lead up to Gerrard's departure, too. From our clean sheet record last season, we were shipping goals in every game. Gio's arrival briefly reversed this, but since then we've reverted to looking dodgy at every opposition set-piece or breakaway.

McGregor being glued to his line is certainly a major part of the problem when we're defending set pieces, but we're also regularly caught out by counter-attacks, such as their first goal yesterday. That's down to the tactics and style of our defence, and our reliance on our full backs to support our attack, which is very much a Gerrard legacy. On the one hand, this is a tactic we've used to great effectiveness in Europe (possibly our most consistently competitive period in our history in Europe), but hasn't worked for us well at all domestically this season.

A lot of Pedroesque excuse making being made for Gio.

If after five months in charge, a manager isn't making much of a difference then it's that manager's fault.

I've no idea where people get the idea that we would still be winning this league if Gerrard was still here. The problems that have got us to this point were clear this season before Gerrard left and right up to the weeks before his departure.

Week after week it was cheap goals conceded, poor set-piece defending, over-reliance on crosses, preference for an extra sideways pass rather than driving towards goal. How many times did we find ourselves coming back from a goal behind but lacking the firepower to put games beyond reach? That was the story of dropping points at home to Motherwell, Hearts and Aberdeen - all under Gerrard. Losing at Tannadice too. A disappointing start to our European campaign across both tournaments. There were no signs that any of this was changing under Gerrard.

In August we said wait till they've got "minutes in the legs." In September it was "this team's got levels to go up yet." In October we told ourselves three points was all that mattered and we'd give somebody a doing soon (Motherwell, as it turned out). But the longer it went on it started to look like this team was always one or two games away from a proper disaster, and I think it's just as likely that we would have continued to drop silly points had Gerrard remained.

The line that Gerrard would never have let us lose to Celtic this season also doesn't make any sense. No manager goes on endless unbeaten runs against rival teams even in spite of their own team's stumbling form. Would the results and performances have been exactly the same, maybe not. But the goals conceded at Parkhead had all the hallmarks of our inept defending under Gerrard earlier this season, and our timid attacking and failure to carve out openings in the second half of both recent games was absolutely in keeping with our form under Gerrard this season, not least in the game at home to Malmo.

For me, the biggest doubt over Gio is that he hasn't been able to fix any of these problems to get the team performing in the league. It was his job to turn around what was going wrong under Gerrard and it just hasn't happened in the league. Keeping him on for next season is a huge call and based on the evidence so far I'm not sure these problems can be solved by giving him more time and the opportunity to bring in his own players. But Gio certainly hasn't caused the problems that look to have burst our title chances. I think this team badly needed freshening up and that required investment that Gerrard didn't get from the board. In hindsight I think we'll understand that that's what has undone us this season, and I don't think either of our managers this season was going to be able to stop the rot with the tools available to them once it had set in.

Stevie's gone.
The 'mess that Gerrard left us in, with his bottlers' as you claim,
saw us 4 Points clear, with both teams having played 13 games.
Since his departure
Rangers have taken 43 points from 19 Games
Celtic have taken 53 points from 19 Games.
But aye, blame Gerrard!

What seems to have been forgotten about regarding SG is the sacrifices he made in the 20/21 season due to the pandemic he wasn't allowed to travel home to see his family and they weren't allowed to be with him in Glasgow
I know mate , I’ll always be grateful for last season , I’m 54 @ it’s one of my favourite ever , but , he never backed up his work , this season should have been a piece of piss .

Edit
Regarding sacrifices , I think the support led the way for season ticket sales last season ,

Stevie's gone.
Since his departure
But aye, blame Gerrard!
We should have been double figures points ahead

Stevie's gone.
Since his departure
But aye, blame Gerrard!
I'm simply pointing out that our current predicament is linked to his preparation for the season and his mistaken desire to keep the 55 squad together.

He delivered 55 and restored our pride in Europe - i am grateful for that, but he still oversaw us exiting the ECL to a very average ten men at Ibrox.

The jury is definitely out on GVB, who got a bounce from the players when he took over, but the same players that were embarrassed by Malmo and Hibs this season (Gerrard's players) have continued to shit the bed at the key moments

Gerrard certainly may have been made undeliverable promises by the board for transfers, but that doesnt excuse the existing 'champion' players

Maybe he should have beat malmo then
If you cant beat Malmo (who subsequently got pumped stupid in their ECL Group) over 45 minutes at Ibrox with an extra man (we lost that 45 minutes 2-0) then there is something seriously wrong...

...as has proved to be the case domestically all season

He was let down by the board, there are too many stories of broken promises for there not to be something in it. However he couldn’t have and shouldn’t have expected to keep all the so called big players and get big money as well.
He knew the cycle was done with this squad from very early on and left before it got worse

The revisionism on here regarding Gerrard is farcical. He left us clear at the top yes. Undeniably. However we have been nothing short of woeful for the entire season and preseason for that matter. Would Gerrard have won this title? We will never know. But what I know is that our performances and results have been poor all year, not just under Gio.

So let’s get real on the position Gerrard left us in. Clear at the top but I don’t share the same view he left us in a healthy position given the performances. We were stuttering under him.

Lastly these players have, out with the league last year, shat the bed every year. This is symptomatic of them.

I'm simply pointing out that our current predicament is linked to his preparation for the season and his mistaken desire to keep the 55 squad together.

He delivered 55 and restored our pride in Europe - i am grateful for that, but he still oversaw us exiting the ECL to a very average ten men at Ibrox.

The jury is definitely out on GVB, who got a bounce from the players when he took over, but the same players that were embarrassed by Malmo and Hibs this season (Gerrard's players) have continued to shit the bed at the key moments

Gerrard certainly may have been made undeliverable promises by the board for transfers, but that doesnt excuse the existing 'champion' players
I do get what you are saying, and I agree with a lot of the in depth points you made,
but there is a simple difference,
Gerrard knew how to get the better of the filth, (6 wins 1 Draw in his last 7 Old Firm games)
Van Bronckhorst does not. He has the same players but 2 defeats in 2 games has us 6 points adrift.
Had we won those last 2 Old firm games, we would be 6 points clear.

You could see that after we won the league a lot of players thought that was it, they've done what was required at Rangers.

Should've been a shake up at the end of that season, McGregor and Davis should've retired, players should've been brought in to immediately improve the starting XI, players that wanted out because they too felt they had fulfilled their remit at Rangers and thought of bigger things down south, should've been sold to make those changes we needed.

We've half arsed it every window, and we're wondering why we're six points behind to a team that actually spent money and improved.

It's not rocket science. Wilson and the board need to get the finger out.

the players were sated on 55, they feasted on a banquet.

Neither SG nor GvB can make them rediscover their hunger. They are satisfied with a medal.

SG seemed to have 'got' DK in a way he didn't with Park.

He checked out and fücked off.

Back