Leverkusen, Slavia Prague, Lyon

LyonGer

3 teams we have lost by 2 goals in Europe.
We obliviously need to improve to compete.
Sakala has shown nothing so far.
Wright is a bit to hasty.
Lundstram not his worst game but is he an improvement?
This is not bashing any player as there was mistakes all over the park tonight.
Bacuna we haven't seen.
Simpson looks like he has a lot to do
Oboforth he has some health issues so a pass.
That's our recruitment in last 2 windows.
I'm not convinced any of them better the team.

Bacuna we haven't seen.
I got dogs abuse when i said our recruitment has been very poor.

Losing to Malmö was a major blow for our hopes of bringing in a genuine first pick first team level player. So free agents was always going to be our limit the minute we missed out on qualifying.
I think we will spend in January though not sure why I think that, just a gut feeling

At this moment in time the recruitment doesn’t look great. I think we all wanted a marquee signing who would come in and noticeably improve the starting 11, we didn’t get that as it appears so far. That being said someone could come good.

is it easy to attract / afford the kind of player we need to take us to the next level in Europe? Leverkusen and Lyon have much bigger budgets and play in more desirable leagues.

Reactions: TQ3
It's difficult I imagine after covid and balancing the books. We have still to sell for big money.
Guess we are waiting to sell before we buy big.
I await posters who quote Lundstrams and Sakalas large signing on fees as they where free agents.

Losing to Malmö was a major blow for our hopes of bringing in a genuine first pick first team level player. So free agents was always going to be our limit the minute we missed out on qualifying.
I think we will spend in January though not sure why I think that, just a gut feeling
Will be too late to spend in Jan. I think the main problem is the over the top prices the club expect to get for our players.

Its tough on the new guys, they don't really get a sniff. I drop Morelos TBH, he seems way off it... maybe worth giving Fashion a run out for one or two games?

Shocking take there mate.

He was starved of any serious service what so ever and the scraps he had he kept the ball or won free kicks.

We were poor but if you think we would be better without Alfie up top then I just don't agree.

Shocking take there mate.

He was starved of any serious service what so ever and the scraps he had he kept the ball or won free kicks.

We were poor but if you think we would be better without Alfie up top then I just don't agree.
Perhaps drop is the wrong word, would like to see a bit of rotation up top. Alfredo is struggling for form ATM. Interested to see what Sakala could do.

Two of those teams are just better than us unfortunately.Both are champs league level and we aren’t.
Lyon simply just looked better than us.
Slavia is the only team from those 3 we could maybe beat on a good day.

It was an absolute disaster.

I don’t think we prepared properly nor gave them the respect they deserved.

Dreadfully Poor results against them.

Look how much we have spent on the players listed in the OP. Hardly anything. Consider the fact we have come through a Covid year and still kept our squad in tact.

It might just be that we have no money to pay out on better players, not until Champions League football is on the table or we sell our top assets.

Rangers fans have been spoilt with the squad that has been assembled and what it has achieved. There had to be a plateauing somewhere along the line though. We can’t just keep spending money.

How much did Lyon and Leverkusen have to spend?
Plenty, but Lyon spent 2 x 18m on their Brazilian on show tonight, the rest were freebies (Boateng ;-) ) and people from their own youth-system. Then again, that`s the Lyon youth system.

But what strange comparisons? Leverkusen is a true CL team who has spent loads of cash and got loads of cash too, and we were still in Covid-19 trance and pre-season. They were had and shoulders above us.

Slavia was when our bubble had burst for 55 and we didn`t get going at all after that.

Malmö is a team that was 12 games into their league campaign, while we had a handful of pre-season bouts. Wonder how we would fare against teams in pre-season that we would play at the end of November (for that, by comparison, that would be our 12th MD). Why UEFA arranges that shyte year after year is the question that needs answered.

Dunno why we need to point these teams out ... and "forget" all the games when we beat "far better" European sides than us under SG so far. Sometimes one needs to take defeat on the chin, even though, like tonight, you know that it could and should have been better. It is still a learning process for these players and SG ... and games like Malmö and Lyon show us that we are not there by quite a distance - even though I would like to think that we skip the play-acting and cheating bits employed by Malmö and tonight`s opponents. Obviously, quite a few of the real CL teams out there on Tuesday and Wednesday would have hammered us in our current state ... and no real shame about it.

Bacuna we haven't seen.
Yes it is.

Two of those teams are just better than us unfortunately.Both are champs league level and we aren’t.
Lyon simply just looked better than us.
Slavia is the only team from those 3 we could maybe beat on a good day.
Leverkusen and Lyon may be CL level. But not top CL, ie Bayern, Juve, Atletico, Chelsea etc. Maybe our level is Europa, and that's that.

At this moment in time the recruitment doesn’t look great. I think we all wanted a marquee signing who would come in and noticeably improve the starting 11, we didn’t get that as it appears so far. That being said someone could come good.

is it easy to attract / afford the kind of player we need to take us to the next level in Europe? Leverkusen and Lyon have much bigger budgets and play in more desirable leagues.
We can’t afford a guarenteed marquee for the Europa league . They cost 15-20 million . Look at what we rate our best players at . That’s the market you need to shop in to guarentee success at this level . Now what we can do is buy 1 in the 7-10 million pound market and you have a decent chance at success. Examples in Scotland are Kent (this season aside so far) and eduoard. But even in that range you don’t guarantee success or consistency

we will also struggle to get past the last 32/16 of the Europa league because we come up against teams with massive budgets . We need out of Scotland if we ever want to compete at Lyons or say Leverkusens level in Europe

Lyon signed 2 Brazilians for 18m euros then the rest of the team tonight cost lest than 1 million or came through the academy.
And Barcelona with Messi, Valdes, Busquets, Puyol, Pique (I think), Xavi, Iniesta and Pedro cost less than Glen Kamara if you look at that way. Spending includes wages and the undisclosed/loan fees.

I was also dubious about that and right away Denayer and Ekambi cost nearly 20 million. I'm not sure if you meant around 20 million each either for the Brazilians but it's unclear if you did.

Any player we have spent decent money on has arguably been a first team player, all these low fee / free transfers have been purely squad players.

We have a great transfer policy for squad players but when was the last signing that has came in and played consistent in the first 11 barring Roofe?

We need a defender, midfielder and forward who will sign and go straight into the first 11. Until we do that we will always be banging on the glass ceiling.

I don't think people actually how realise how bad our financial situation is especially when you factor in a season with fans and that income.
I cant get my head round it. Are people really wanting us to take a huge gamble with no guarantees of success. Its seems we have learned nothing. 20 million doesnt even guarantee you a sure thing now.

Clubs future security or gamble on their future. No contest for me.

Yes it is.
It isn't mate at all.
I'm just not convinced any of the players are an improvement on last year's squad.
As the gaffer sticks with his trusted few then I guess he agrees. Apart from Lundstram tonight
It's all just a bit same, same.

I cant get my head round it. Are people really wanting us to take a huge gamble with no guarantees of success. Its seems we have learned nothing. 20 million doesnt even guarantee you a sure thing now.

Clubs future security or gamble on their future. No contest for me.
Nevermind 20m, there's players out there well into the 50m that don't even guarantee you any success.

Arsenal just slashed 50m on Ben White and I'm not even sure I'd take him.

It isn't mate at all.
I'm just not convinced any of the players are an improvement on last year's squad.
As the gaffer sticks with his trusted few then I guess he agrees. Apart from Lundstram tonight
It's all just a bit same, same.
So by mentioning players as not being good enough, you aren’t bashing them?
Okay, you win.

Lyon signed 2 Brazilians for 18m euros then the rest of the team tonight cost lest than 1 million or came through the academy.
They may well have cost little in fees but how much are they paying world cup winner Boateng or Euro 2020 winner Palmieri? Palmieri may be on loan from Chelsea but they will still be paying most of, if not all, his wages.

Lyon are a side on paper that are levels above us. It still doesnt excuse the poor performance tonight though.

And Barcelona with Messi, Valdes, Busquets, Puyol, Pique (I think), Xavi, Iniesta and Pedro cost less than Glen Kamara if you look at that way. Spending includes wages and the undisclosed/loan fees.

I was also dubious about that and right away Denayer and Ekambi cost nearly 20 million.
No worries mate it was a thread earlier in the bear pit that talked about transfer fees.

So I hold my hands up if I got it wrong.

Denayer cost 6.5 mil, the goalscorer ekambi cost 11 mil, and boateng and Emerson are loans- as well as former champions League and world cup winners who are on wages we could only dream of.

I'll admit their academy is outstanding, but France produce better players that we do.

Denayer cost 6.5 mil, the goalscorer ekambi cost 11 mil, and boateng and Emerson are loans- as well as former champions League and world cup winners who are on wages we could only dream of.

I'll admit their academy is outstanding, but France produce better players that we do.
Post above.

Bacuna we haven't seen.
We all said this and knew this after Salvia game and we’ve seen no improvement

The point of the thread is so far we haven't improved our starting 11 in January and Summer windows.
The squad might be stronger but how do we move to the next level.

Back