Liverpool chiefs Jurgen Klopp doubts increase as reds further push for Steven Gerrard(Mirror)

He's won us 55 and made us feared at home and abroad.
Whether it's tomorrow or 2025 he leaves, he is a Rangers legend and I will love the guy forever.
Correct m8 , every day is a bonus, although I genuinely believe two more seasons will give him the necessary experience required for the Liverpool job.

The last game Germany played they lost 6-0 to Spain (Nov 17th)

2 weeks late the *** say Joachim Löw’s job is safe https://www.eurosport.com/football/...t-the-correct-decision_sto8013765/story.shtml

They haven’t played a game since then and don’t play again until March 25th v Iceland. But we’re meant to believe the Löw is on the way out, Klopp is going to replace him (1 season after winning the EPL) and Gerrard will replace Klopp at Liverpool?

do journalists just throw darts at a board with subject matters on it and just fill in the rest with bullshit and speculation?

I think the Lampard experiment at Chelsea might put them off trying to get Gerrard this summer if Klopp goes.

I think they'll want to see him in the Champions League before making the decision.

I'm also not 100% sure Gerrard would take the job this summer.

That’s my feeling too. I don’t think he’ll leave us after delivering just 1 trophy (realistically assuming Scottish Cup isn’t played).
He’s here for 57 minimum IMO

Reactions: TQ3
I think the Lampard experiment at Chelsea might put them off trying to get Gerrard this summer if Klopp goes.

I think they'll want to see him in the Champions League before making the decision.

I'm also not 100% sure Gerrard would take the job this summer.
He’s not finished here. If we improve his toolkit to make CL group I think he will stay and learn from that. But I also think playing against the low block week in week out will wear him down quite quickly now. I’d say Rangers then another EPL club to broaden his tactical experience then Liverpool. If he went now and failed at Liverpool his managerial career would be over.

Even for those of us with other allegiances down south ( me included) we should all be Liverpool fans as well just now ( even if it involves holding your nose). Its in Rangers best interests.

That’s my feeling too. I don’t think he’ll leave us after delivering just 1 trophy (realistically assuming Scottish Cup isn’t played).
He’s here for 57 minimum IMO

I think he's here for at least one more season and a crack at the Champions League.

He’s not finished here. If we improve his toolkit to make CL group I think he will stay and learn from that. But I also think playing against the low block week in week out will wear him down quite quickly now. I’d say Rangers then another EPL club to broaden his tactical experience then Liverpool. If he went now and failed at Liverpool his managerial career would be over.

Gerrard is a very intelligent man. I think he'll understand that this summer isn't the time to go to Liverpool. I think there will be a bit of a rebuild there this summer.

I don't think he has any interest in managing another EPL club, I don't think it would enhance his reputation either. I think Gerrard, as a personality, has to win. I don't think he would fit with a club with West Ham, Villa, Leeds etc.

didn't end Rodgers Hodgsons and Benitez careers

Need to hope Klopp gets a good run. Once again, nobody is saying he will get sacked. But he could decide to walk away.

And I wish fans would stop deluding themselves with the 'I'm not sure Gerrard would take it right now' pish. If they called him at 3 in the morning he'd be down the motorway by dawn.

I'd normally be worried but with Gerrard and the Liverpool job it's different, it's not a once in a lifetime chance for him. No rush for him personally to take the job imo if it arises as it's basically his anytime he wants it over the next 20 years assuming he's managing at a decent level.

Liverpool in the EPL is a much bigger job than Rangers, yes

It’s ok to admit that, it doesn’t lose you staunch points

I don't necessarily disagree but I don't think it's quite as cut and dry as you've said.

The Liverpool managers job will have more people looking/watching but I'd argue the pressure of managing in Glasgow is more pressurised.

Football down here isn't the same as football in Glasgow. There's a reason almost everyone who plays/manages in Glasgow describes it as a gold fish bowl.

I don't necessarily disagree but I don't think it's quite as cut and dry as you've said.

The Liverpool managers job will have more people looking/watching but I'd argue the pressure of managing in Glasgow is more pressurised.

Football down here isn't the same as football in Glasgow. There's a reason almost everyone who plays/manages in Glasgow describes it as a gold fish bowl.

In Glasgow first is everything, if you’re second you’re last. It’s highly pressured - constantly scrutinised, journalists on your back, fans on your back if not winning after 20 min etc

But even considering all that, Liverpool is a bigger job than Rangers. Their fans now expect them to challenge for the CL/EPL each season, it’s not as if they’re happy just getting top 4

Need to hope Klopp gets a good run. Once again, nobody is saying he will get sacked. But he could decide to walk away.

And I wish fans would stop deluding themselves with the 'I'm not sure Gerrard would take it right now' pish. If they called him at 3 in the morning he'd be down the motorway by dawn.
The last part there sadly is 100% correct. As soon as there is genuine interest on Liverpool's part then he will jump at the chance straight away.

I remember the day he took over and saying I hope he does manage Liverpool after us because it meant he was a success with us. Liverpool wouldn't go for him if he turned out a dud manager.

In Glasgow first is everything, if you’re second you’re last. It’s highly pressured - constantly scrutinised, journalists on your back, fans on your back if not winning after 20 min etc

But even considering all that, Liverpool is a bigger job than Rangers. Their fans now expect them to challenge for the CL/EPL each season, it’s not as if they’re happy just getting top 4

I agree. The winning mentality that we produce in Glasgow is the reason there have been so many successful Scottish managers.

I agree it's a bigger job in the context of football but fans down here aren't as demanding and the scrutiny is nowhere near the same. A league victory as Liverpool manager every 4 years (as long as the 3 years in between were respectable) would be considered good. If we had a manager winning the league every 4 years we'd be furious.

Liverpool manager is the bigger job but I don't think it's more pressurised.

Would it %^*& his managerial career be over. If he went now and failed at Liverpool we'd all be desperate to have him back here lol.

Why isn't he ready?

It's not a junior team he has turned around, Rangers are a massive club, he's taken us from the doldrums and made us as good as we have been at any time since I've been going to games, don't underestimate what he has done.

Ive generally thought you age around me at 40 ish based on how long I’ve seen you post on here. This is a good team to watch at times but Advocaats team played some sensational football with Ferguson leading the midfield. They just looked better middle to front.

Ive generally thought you age around me at 40 ish based on how long I’ve seen you post on here. This is a good team to watch at times but Advocaats team played some sensational football with Ferguson leading the midfield. They just looked better middle to front.

Advocaat had the ability to sign world class players though.

Advocaat was playing sensational football with guys like Numan, Albertz, Ferguson and Gio.

Gerrard has us playing sensational stuff with a midfield that cost a combined £50k.

No matter what level you teach or coach at, folk in a higher level will always take notice in all walks of life. Fortunately for us I believe Gerrard knows he is onto a good thing with us and I thoroughly believe he will have at minimum 1 more successful season with us.

There’s zero chance Gerrard will be Liverpool manager next year, he’s not ready.

A season in CL with us, possibly another season beyond that and he’d be ready to step up
Keep hearing this. Zidane and Guardiola took over Real Madrid and Barcelona with no senior managerial experience.

He is ready now, which is not good for us.

Saying that, after what Klopp has done for them, he deserves at least another season. You don’t get rid of a very good manager after a dodgy few months, what with injuries to key players. Liverpool fans should be grateful to have Klopp.

What makes a manager ready?

He was an under 18s coach for one season when he took over mission impossible. A job where second is as good as last.

He was ready for us.

He is ready for Liverpool.

When they call,he will go and, when he does, I hope he wins the lot with them.
I vividly remember Klopp's answer, when he was asked if SG was ready to take over at Rangers.

"If Steven Gerrard thinks he's ready, then he's ready".

When you give that a moment's thought, it's an answer with more than the obvious meaning. Yes, Klopp thought that SG is ready to take the reins at Rangers. But the "hidden" message is (IMO) much more striking. Klopp completely trusts SG's judgement & maturity. Klopp's answer says that SG isn't arrogant, and that he doesn't overestimate his own readiness; if he (SG) thought that he wasn't ready to take over at Rangers, he wouldn't have done it. It says that no-one is a better judge of SGs readiness than SG himself.

So if any of these rumours are true, I can only hope that SG doesn't think he's ready for Liverpool.

Last edited:
Gerrard is contracted until 2024. Hopefully we have a compensation package tied in to that so that we get several million in the event he leaves before then.

Personally, I don't think he would want to leave right now. That's not to say that he would knock back Liverpool but rather he would ideally prefer to see out this project. He's done the hard bit by getting us to this level, particularly with a shot at the Champions League in a few short months.

There’s zero chance Gerrard will be Liverpool manager next year, he’s not ready.

A season in CL with us, possibly another season beyond that and he’d be ready to step up
When Shankly stood down, many said the same about Bob Paisley.

Advocaat had the ability to sign world class players though.

Advocaat was playing sensational football with guys like Numan, Albertz, Ferguson and Gio.

Gerrard has us playing sensational stuff with a midfield that cost a combined £50k.

no doubt Gerrard isn’t playing with the same deck as DA, and I wasn’t speaking to that conversation, just that the football was amazing at times.

in fairness when you think of some of the goals we’ve scored this season then some of them have rivalled the goal vs Dortmund.

Being honest, I don't have fond memories of that era because of what it caused, not the players fault, or Advocaats but Murray was crashing us into a wall, the good times did not merit the come down that we're just about to fix after years of pain.

Gerrard is contracted until 2024. Hopefully we have a compensation package tied in to that so that we get several million in the event he leaves before then.

Personally, I don't think he would want to leave right now. That's not to say that he would knock back Liverpool but rather he would ideally prefer to see out this project. He's done the hard bit by getting us to this level, particularly with a shot at the Champions League in a few short months.
I imagine there will be, but I'd also imagine there is also one that says if Liverpool appoach it must be accepted without question.

didn't end Rodgers Hodgsons and Benitez careers
True but SG bleeds Liverpool. If he failed there he would pack it in or go abroad. He said a couple of years ago, maybe before he took the Rangers job that he could live without the hassle of football mgt. I reckon if he failed at Liverpool that feeling would come back. He’d make a great pundit and get paid fortunes for it. It’s Rangers, possibly another EPL club, Liverpool then out. I’m tellin ye man.

no doubt Gerrard isn’t playing with the same deck as DA, and I wasn’t speaking to that conversation, just that the football was amazing at times.

in fairness when you think of some of the goals we’ve scored this season then some of them have rivalled the goal vs Dortmund.

I understood what you meant and I agree that is was.

If Gerrard gets this level of play from guys like Kamara, Balogun and Hagi, imagine how good it could be with players like Gio/Ferguson, Amo and de boer.

True but SG bleeds Liverpool. If he failed there he would pack it in or go abroad. He said a couple of years ago, maybe before he took the Rangers job that he could live without the hassle of football mgt. I reckon if he failed at Liverpool that feeling would come back. He’d make a great pundit and get paid fortunes for it. It’s Rangers, possibly another EPL club, Liverpool then out. I’m tellin ye man.

I think it'll be Rangers, Liverpool and then England.

I still think Stevie G will need to manage in a stronger league than the SPL before the Scousers will take a chance on him. Especially after the way Frankie Lampard worked out at Chelsea

Think Frank Lampard and Chelsea.. Gerrard would be risking it all even considering taking the Liverpool job before his apprenticeship here is completed :))

Personally I think Gerrard will really want to take this team in to the Champions League, equally I think it will be a miracle of we get more than 2 more seasons out of him. Enjoy him while he's here.

Back