London supporters branch?

Went there for a couple of pints to watch semi final against Hearts last year, started off sitting on my own in the corner, ended up staying for far longer than planned. Absolutely brilliant pub & they couldn’t have been more welcoming, be back once this season starts again.
I went every euro qualifier since gerrard has been, on my own, straight after work and with the idea of heading home after the game. I’ve always gone into work on Friday feeling rough as guts, stinking of jaeger and a massive smile on my face from a great night!

Assume thats the newly formed West London Loyal Rangers Supporters Club.

They have a Facebook page and a do organised for October with Stephen Dean down to sing. He is very good.

Not sure if they have a permanent venue yet but they were seeking one.

The more clubs in and around London the better. Great having options to suit an early finish wherever I'm working in town :)

All good thanks mate, yourself ?

Those gigs were great back then and amazed he’s still going considering his on stage antics !

Have to say I was also amazed

Doing great mate. Retired back in March.

Was looking forward to a lot of Euro trips but feck knows when that will be back on the cards.

Sorry I didn’t bump into you in the Square on Porto.

Last edited:
In the late 70s/early 80s a Rangers bus used to run from the New Inn on Tottenham Court Road.
Wonder if there's any veterans around from those days?

I was probably too late for this

I remember drinking in the New Inn TCR - but was unaware of a Gers connection - or a bus running

The earliest meeting point I can remember was the Sols Arms up from Warren St. Tube - corner of Hampstead Rd. Brock St.or Drummond St. - I think

Followed by the Hemmingford Arms - Hemmingford Road between KK & Angel tubes - both handy for their proximity to Euston to get the Friday night trains up the road

Then there was a spell at the Cock Tavern Smithfield - I think that was the sequence ?

The White Bear & The Green Man

I'm sure there's at least one I've missed out ?

[QUOTEgersandproud, post: 6472200, member: 3047"]

I remember drinking in the New Inn TCR - but was unaware of a Gers connection - or a bus running

The earliest meeting point I can remember was the Sols Arms up from Warren St. Tube - corner of Hampstead Rd. Brock St.or Drummond St. - I think

Followed by the Hemmingford Arms - Hemmingford Road between KK & Angel tubes - both handy for their proximity to Euston to get the Friday night trains up the road

Then there was a spell at the Cock Tavern Smithfield - I think that was the sequence ?

[/QUOTE]

Have to say I was also amazed

Doing great mate. Retired back in March.

Was looking forward to a lot of Euro trips but feck knows when that will be back on the cards.

Sorry I didn’t bump into you in the Square on Porto.

Retired !!

Was rather busy mate so no surprise we didn't meet. There's always the next time .....whenever that may be.

Had a few sessions in Clyde Inn with young Peter back in the day.
Best days traveling with London Branch were the old Friday overnight train up and Saturday overnight back.
For a big game like them Saturday 3pm used to fill more than one carriage
Fighting with the bheasts London branch within 30 minutes of departure, those were the days !

Joined in 87 when in Sols arms and many venues since, the downside of London and changes in pubs and management particularly as many upstairs rooms became restaurants or expensive hires.
Venues I remember:
Sols Arms
Hemmingford-Caledonian Road
Ebury Arms? Ebury St near Victoria
RBL Marylebone near Baker Street
Prince of Wales? Warren Street
Working Mans Private Club Sloane Square
Conservative Club - Kings Road
Pub at Holborn
Pub behind Euston
Hop Poles Hammersmith- short term
Cock Tavern

The above not in order and more I can’t remember plus separate TV match venues like White Bear, Ye Olde Surgeon etc

Joined in 87 when in Sols arms and many venues since, the downside of London and changes in pubs and management particularly as many upstairs rooms became restaurants or expensive hires.
Venues I remember:
Sols Arms
Pub at Holborn
Pub behind Euston
Cock Tavern

The above not in order and more I can’t remember plus separate TV match venues like White Bear, Ye Olde Surgeon etc

Thanks mate -
You've obviously got a much better memory than me

I now remember going to the RBL in Marylebone (maybe only the once)
& I recall being told about the Ebury - but never made it there -

I'm obviously getting senile because I forgot all about Sloane Square

I used to work at Euston - & was probably in every pub for a mile radius - do you remember what the name of the pub behind Euston was called?

I also worked at Hammersmith & was regularly in the Hop Poles but never knew of any Gers connection

What a bunch of nomads the London branch are - a real pity the White Bear ended the way it did - really felt at home there

Thanks mate -
You've obviously got a much better memory than me

I now remember going to the RBL in Marylebone (maybe only the once)
& I recall being told about the Ebury - but never made it there -

I'm obviously getting senile because I forgot all about Sloane Square

I used to work at Euston - & was probably in every pub for a mile radius - do you remember what the name of the pub behind Euston was called?

I also worked at Hammersmith & was regularly in the Hop Poles but never knew of any Gers connection

What a bunch of nomads the London branch are - a real pity the White Bear ended the way it did - really felt at home there
Sorry can’t remember name of Euston one.
Hop Poles was only a couple of meetings, just remember as handy as could walk to it from home.
Where did you work in Hammersmith?

Ye old surgeon was used as well
I was there for the Bertie yarder semi v them. Bedlam. I'm sure we took over two Tottenham court rd pubs that night due to numbers.

Any plans known for the Green Man this season? Never been in the Dice Bar so may give it a try. How does it compare in size and numbers?

I was there for the Bertie yarder semi v them. Bedlam. I'm sure we took over two Tottenham court rd pubs that night due to numbers.

Any plans known for the Green Man this season? Never been in the Dice Bar so may give it a try. How does it compare in size and numbers?
40 odd is normal for a run of the mill game at Dice, with bigger crowds for the bigger games and well over 100 against them, think the last was 140ish.

Walkabout at The Temple was used for a while at the same time as The White Bear, Walkabout was huge and was rocking when we won the Penalties semi.

Sorry can’t remember name of Euston one.
Hop Poles was only a couple of meetings, just remember as handy as could walk to it from home.
Where did you work in Hammersmith?

I worked in the office block at Shortlands & then the company moved to Oxfordshire

Coincidentally I joined another company a couple of years later which were in an office block 50 yards further along Hammersmith Rd. - might now be the L'Oreal building ?
They also had a smaller office half way along Hammersmith Rd. towards Olympia

There was a wealth of good boozers in the area at that time - but I suspect they became wine bars & half of them are closed these days

We you one of the London Branch contingent who used to frequent the Clyde Inn with Peter @Neilstonger ?

I used to be in the London Branch in those days. Off the Sleeper train, shower in Central Station then under the shutters of the Clyde at 06:30. Honesty bar until wee Mary turned up hours later.

The bold Peter was some man and had some great days at his place down at Rayners Lane. Sadly missed.

Was always a great club back then. Sure it still is now and hopefully still attended by the likes of Ted.

I worked in the office block at Shortlands & then the company moved to Oxfordshire

Coincidentally I joined another company a couple of years later which were in an office block 50 yards further along Hammersmith Rd. - might now be the L'Oreal building ?
They also had a smaller office half way along Hammersmith Rd. towards Olympia

There was a wealth of good boozers in the area at that time - but I suspect they became wine bars & half of them are closed these days
Still quite a few pubs around unlike Fulham Broadway where they have virtually all gone upmarket.
The Chancellors across from the Riverside Studios development is still a proper boozer run by same people.

I used to be in the London Branch in those days. Off the Sleeper train, shower in Central Station then under the shutters of the Clyde at 06:30. Honesty bar until wee Mary turned up hours later.

The bold Peter was some man and had some great days at his place down at Rayners Lane. Sadly missed.

Was always a great club back then. Sure it still is now and hopefully still attended by the likes of Ted.
Still a great club, Ted has retired and moved back to Fife but still at every game and still sorts out tickets etc.

In the late 70s/early 80s a Rangers bus used to run from the New Inn on Tottenham Court Road.

I joined about 84 , cannot remember the pub then. Then it was the Sols arms for a while but we did use the New Inn sometimes can’t remember why. Those train trips up were fantastic put on about half a stone every weekend. I think most of my spare cash went on those trips, leaving Harpenden about 3pm on the Friday and getting back about 12 on the Sunday. I stopped when I moved to Sandwich in Kent and it was about a 2 hr train ride just to get to London, that and wife and kids
There were some characters in the club :))

There have been some great stories on this thread. Our new website is short of such material from current and ex London Branch bears. If you would like to share your recollections with a wider audience, please PM them to me and I’ll see about getting them uploaded. Can be anonymous or with whatever details you wish to provide. Thanks in advance.

There have been some great stories on this thread. Our new website is short of such material from current and ex London Branch bears. If you would like to share your recollections with a wider audience, please PM them to me and I’ll see about getting them uploaded. Can be anonymous or with whatever details you wish to provide. Thanks in advance.
Maybe an over 18s only book could be a good idea!

I was one but back then I didn't like how pally they were with the bheasts, used to travel together for Scotland games before it was taken over by the yesser types. I remember jumping on the Nitsdale bus which used to pick us up on the way to Europe.

Played a couple of times for the Rangers team in the Sunday league which wasn't easy after 2 sleepless nights on trains going up for games

Really enjoyed this thread mate.

Respect to you all ;)

I was one but back then I didn't like how pally they were with the bheasts, used to travel together for Scotland games before it was taken over by the yesser types. I remember jumping on the Nitsdale bus which used to pick us up on the way to Europe.

Played a couple of times for the Rangers team in the Sunday league which wasn't easy after 2 sleepless nights on trains going up for games
Certainly weren’t friendly with them from when I joined. A good few incidents at stations and on trains including a particularly nasty one which I think saw 2 of them jailed.
There was also no love lost with their football team in apscil league

Certainly weren’t friendly with them from when I joined. A good few incidents at stations and on trains including a particularly nasty one which I think saw 2 of them jailed.
There was also no love lost with their football team in apscil league
It was more the committee members who were pally with theirs due to Scotland games (I think the London Scotland supporters was also run from the New Inn), you may have been on Friday night trains where the fighting would start when the train pulled out of Euston, cops got on at Crewe and lifted a few from both sides, cops got off, train pulled out and the fighting started again.

Mary loved you guys especially Peter, both of them are, as you say, sadly missed. Those were the great days of the Clyde Inn, too many brilliant characters to mention.

Seeing the Sols Arms mentioned brought back a long lost memory. I went to London to watch Chelsea and dragged 3 other guys to Euston to visit the Rangers pub :D I knew the London Branch used it and assumed they were in it all the time. Other guys wanted to boot my balls when it turned out to be a bog standard London pub.

Venues I remember:
Sols Arms
Pub at Holborn
Pub behind Euston
Cock Tavern

Done every one of them,some cracking nights after a meeting......soreheidloyal.:)):))

Back