Lundstram looking more out of place with each passing game

I missed the game yesterday. Indeed Lundstram has been poor for a while. Kamara too. Is Jack THAT much better? Seems to me he lacks awareness on the ball and seems only capable of playing it where he’s facing. He can be ok defensively. May be worth another year but I think we can do better. Delighted with Raskin Tillman and Cantwell.
Jack and Lundstrum are too similar for me. Slow, ponderous, lack creativity and very little goal threat.

We only need one of them and despite Lundstrums form I would have him over Jack.

Jack’s contract is up and should not be extended. Time to move on and get better players in.

This is the same Lundstram that started his Rangers career. His form last season was the anomaly, not the fact he’s gone back to being a man down.

Needs to go in the summer.

This is the same Lundstram that started his Rangers career. His form last season was the anomaly, not the fact he’s gone back to being a man down.

Needs to go in the summer.
I remember the soundbites when he was signed box to box brought energy and could get forward and was exactly what we needed needless to say he has been exact opposite and he is up here on a massive wage he has to go in the summer.

The Sheffield United support told us all he pretty much chucked it in his last season when he knew he was leaving the club.

I can’t help but feel something similar is happening here. Wonder if Beale has made him aware he will not be part of his plans long term

I actually think it's a measure of how our (fans') standards have risen dramatically in what we're looking for from midfielders. JL doesn't measure up to what we want and need now.
Gone are the days when, if he'd been playing, he stood out amongst the others.
Cantwell, Raskin, Tillman and a resurgent Jack are the standards we go by now.

Lundstram didn't have much of a game yesterday (although he did make several long, incisive forward passes that seem to have escaped a few on here).
He's still generally slow, and as others have asked: as the game went on, it became obvious -- did we need both him and Jack in there ?

As for up against CFC -- if Raskin isn't available, is it a choice between JL and Kamara ?
For all Kamara's skill, imo he's more likely to lose possession to a Celtc player in our own half, and he's more likely to be bullied off the ball.
A difficult choice, given our injuries and the random up-and-down form being shown atm by Arfield.

I’ve never took to him.

Technically he’s a decent player, the type of player i’d imagine would be great in training.

Can’t quite put my finger on it, but i’ve always felt he thinks he’s better than he is which doesn’t help him. Slow, lacks awareness, ponderous on the ball, inconsistent. I’d be happy if we moved him on in the summer.
100% correct

He lacks the movement of others, but he played a lot of tidy balls yesterday; where he did get caught was in the area where she should have played in a bit more, around the middle of the opposition box, and he was the only one who seemed interested in doing that at times, especially in the first half. He also had a crucial defensive header, at a corner, in the first half that should be noted.

Looks a shadow of the player from the second half of last season, where he was positive, energetic and dynamic.

Now, he wants to play the game at walking pace and spends most of his time knocking the ball back or sideways.

The difference is stark and bizarre.
Smacks of a guy who is thinking about his next move tbh. Same as Kamara

I’ve never took to him.

Technically he’s a decent player, the type of player i’d imagine would be great in training.

Can’t quite put my finger on it, but i’ve always felt he thinks he’s better than he is which doesn’t help him. Slow, lacks awareness, ponderous on the ball, inconsistent. I’d be happy if we moved him on in the summer.
He is not good enough to play consistently in order to win the league.

The difference between him and Cantwell yesterday was frightening.He was shown up big time yesterday for being slow,negative and lacking an edge to his game.

Him and Kamara need to go during the summer along with Davis & Arfield,although the latter 2 have only been guilty of time catching up with them.
Unless we do what you propose, we wont win the league next season.

Looks so slow and laboured in his passing, amazing how much a backward step him being in the starting 11 is for the current side.

Shocking today. I’m worried his wages will be too high for a potential suitor in the Summer.
Hardly shocking. He was more or less a cd for much of the game and we didn't lose a goal; his header at their corner was hardly "shocking" either. He lacks the manoeuvrability of many others, especially in midfield, but a shocking performance? Don't think so.

Hardly shocking. He was more or less a cd for much of the game and we didn't lose a goal; his header at their corner was hardly "shocking" either. He lacks the manoeuvrability of many others, especially in midfield, but a shocking performance? Don't think so.

Nonsense, he got megged on the half way line early doors which set the tone and led to a great chance which Davis did well the block.
He was all over the place and Beale put him out of his (our) misery by taking him out of the firing line with the formation change.

Lundstram sat deeper than Goldson for long spells today! Against these low blocks at Ibrox he offers nothing - everything is side ways or backwards. Been liking Jack and Raskin as a duo we really missed Raskin today.
Just as well he did, with Goldson nearly in the opposition box for much of the time.

Nonsense, he got megged on the half way line early doors which set the tone and led to a great chance which Davis did well the block.
He was all over the place and Beale put him out of his (our) misery by taking him out of the firing line with the formation change.
All over the place, that is nonsense. He isn't easy on the eye in a side playing as we do, but all over the place? Nonsense.

Unless we recruit more midfield in the summer, I think Raskin, Lawrence and Cantwell will be the 3, with Jack the main alternate. Hoping everyone else is away and better brought in, but prob won't happen like that.

He just doesn't suit a possession based team trying to win every week.

He stuck out like a sore thumb yesterday.

he doesn't suit games like yesterday. doesn't run beyond the ball. he has his place when we need to holding midfielders bur he doesn't help when we are dominating the ball and is worse than a man off sometimes

He was chasing shadows for the first 25 mins, miles off it.
He didn't start well, but his clearing header was on the 10 minute mark and where he really lost out on the ball was around the opposition box through the middle, where he was outnumbered by defenders. His idea about getting through their defence in that particular part of their box is something we did too little of, especially before the second goal, but it was were we eventually got the first goal, and instead of going out wide so often we should have done that more often, in the first half; Lundstram seemed more aware of that than some others. His dropping back into defence was interesting as well, because of what Goldson was doing with his passing, in attempting to beat the low block; no other midfielder gives us that option, apart from Lundstram.

Unless we recruit more midfield in the summer, I think Raskin, Lawrence and Cantwell will be the 3, with Jack the main alternate. Hoping everyone else is away and better brought in, but prob won't happen like that.
Think there will be at least 1 or 2 additions with Jack reluctantly getting an extension.

Think Lawrence will play further forward under the current set up.

Lundstram and Kamara have to be sold with Arfield and Davis being released those 4 players are done with us.

We have to be fucking ruthless this summer the problem is the more you analyse the squad the more issues you see with it same applies with squad options we need better quality throughout the whole squad if we are to stand a chance at winning the league next season.

Beale talked about 5 additions I'm not sure that's enough.

Barring a freakish 4 month purple patch he's been a poor signing in all honesty. Probably on good money too. One we really should try and move on in the summer if possible.

He's really not playing well at all - needs a spell on the bench and to be honest, would punt in the summer. We have better options to use than him currently.

Still playing through injury and requires a pain killing injection before every match. I'm quite sure the manager has asked him to just try and get through the season and then deal with his injury in the summer which may require surgery.

That was bizarre, sitting behind the defence even when we're attacking. It's completely unnecessary. And he does it all the time.
It's actually prob his best position.

Under Gio in the big games he switched into defence and midfield and was a big part in our run to seville. It was that change that his form got better it still allowed us to go forward with fbs. Our he could push forward when they didn't.

It doesn't work in Scotland where teams sit back against us.

He actually movesthe ball well and teams that press and move forward again he is effective

But against big lumps of wood static with our players in limited space doesn't work. When we are playing against that we need midfielders that can run with ball and suck players out position then move the ball for players to take advantage.

This is one problem we have with Kent dropping so deep to get the ball and run with it then means there is no one else to take the ball. When he needs to move it on

I missed the game yesterday. Indeed Lundstram has been poor for a while. Kamara too. Is Jack THAT much better? Seems to me he lacks awareness on the ball and seems only capable of playing it where he’s facing. He can be ok defensively. May be worth another year but I think we can do better. Delighted with Raskin Tillman and Cantwell.
How you've described Jack is exactly how I'd describe Lundstram.

Is Jack THAT much better? Yes.

Thought he kept possession well enough yesterday, but we definitely missed the directness of Raskin

In fact, any line up that has Jack, Raskin, plus another defensive minded midfielder is too cautious for our league. We also need to try and keep Cantwell and Tillman in the same side as one or the other is likely to create some magic.

How you've described Jack is exactly how I'd describe Lundstram.

Is Jack THAT much better? Yes.
While I didn’t see the game yesterday, from what I have seen of Jack this season he has, when fit, been average or ineffective or rarely very good (eg Hibs away). He hasn’t been that good or consistent to merit a place in the team after the summer rebuild. At best, a squad player for another year. Granted Lundstram or Kamara have been poor but if Jack has been better, not by enough imo to plan for his inclusion in the longer term.

Him and Jack in midfield next week and we lose, if Raskin isn’t fit then Arfield or Kamara come in or Tillman drops back.
I don’t want him to start like almost everybody else but I think he’s a stick on for Beale. The idea we will go with anything other than consolidation is absurd.

Hes shite and always has been bar a purple patch in Europe. Hopefully we ship him and Kamara in the summer. If they both start next weekend then we know what happens

Back