Lundstram

I don’t think he’s a bad player he just doesn’t suit playing further up the pitch. He either plays as the “DM” or a cameo near the end of a match to shore things up.

Glen Kamara incidentally is far better as our DM now. It allows two more attack minded players in the midfield.
Pretty much its him or Kamara as a DM two together doesn't work against spfl jobbers Kamara is currently the better player so he has the shirt

Reactions: R-M
Not coming on to bash him as the whole team (apart from £50k GK) were pish.

Kamara has moved up a level in the past few games. An absolute stand out. He’s phenomenal. Very un-assuming but what he does slot of the time goes un-noticed.

I would guarantee Gerrard is back in for him before anyone else

Or he could be the English Dragan Mladenović. Nothing remotely outrageous about the OP.
Just as well there was no trial by internet when Ally McCoist, Mark Hateley & probably umpteen others joined the club, especially with the amount of top class coaches we seem to have on FF ;) :rolleyes:

Lundstram isn't a bad player he just doesn't quite seem to fit with us for some reason. A shame because he seems like a decent lad. Best for all parties if he moves on in January.

Just as well there was no trial by internet when Ally McCoist, Mark Hateley & probably umpteen others joined the club, especially with the amount of top class coaches we seem to have on FF ;) :rolleyes:
McCoist was 20 years old when he joined Rangers. Lundstram is 27. Very few players that I can remember in the modern era looked poor when they joined but went on to become very good players for us. I'm struggling to think of any. Sasa Papac maybe? Tav? Other nominations invited...

He's going nowhere until his contracts up
You can't have a player on £35,000 a week not really contributing and sitting out that 3 year contract.

Best case scenario someone takes him in January or in the summer.

If it's a loan we do an option to buy and do everything we can to move him on.

It's absolutely criminal that Ross Wilson sanctioned that deal in the first place no wonder Goldson and others are reluctant to sign new deals.

Last edited:
The most bizarre thing about Lundstram is the cult like following he has on here. No matter how poor he is, regardless of whether the manager subs him for being a weak link, you’ll still have his loyalists on here calling the rest of us arseholes, and we’re just too ignorant to see what he brings. Which would seem to include Gio this week.

Mental.

He’s a square peg for a round hole. Would probably do well at a Burnley or their ilk.
I think thats in the main people that are just ignorant to football.

Lundstram didn't do anything outrageously poor (get sent off/give a goal away), which means he was "fine".

Reality is most times played a big part in our really poor first half display. Far too slow in his speed of thought which meant slow build up play, as well as taking the safest option almost every time which then in turn made the game much easier for DUTD to manage and execute their game plan.

It goes deeper than making obvious errors and mistakes.

Only midfielder that managed to pass the ball to a blue jersey in the first half yesterday.

constantly trying to inject pace into the game.

his drilled 60 yard cross field raking pass to Hagi was excellent.

some folk just go to the game looking for him to do something wrong so they can come on and say I told you so.

Wrap him upon in Christmas Paper, call Santa and get him delivered to Gerrat.
Please do not say ‘ Return to Sender’ if undelivered

I’m probably going against the grain but I think JL has the ability to be a class act for us. I was upset at some of his early performances as much as everyone else but I still think once he finds his perfect place with us he’ll do well. I wouldn’t write him off just yet

While I am far from his biggest fan and if we got a reasonable bid I would take it I think has just become an easy target now. Was no worse than 5-6-7 others yesterday. Also pretty sure I read an article when he signed that he was more of a box to box midfielder, we have generally used him as a sitter. Suspect he will be gone to the championship by summer be it on loan or permanent

He forgets he's playing for Rangers and not Sheffield Utd.
5 times out of 6 the first thing he does is to look for a pass to the back 4.

McCoist was 20 years old when he joined Rangers. Lundstram is 27. Very few players that I can remember in the modern era looked poor when they joined but went on to become very good players for us. I'm struggling to think of any. Sasa Papac maybe? Tav? Other nominations invited...
Was Mark Hateley 20 years old?

Was Mark Hateley 20 years old?
Mark Hateley scored 15 in his first season and 23 in his second.
The proposition is that there aren't many seasoned players who in their first season seem to make the team worse, who then turn out to be top players just because you keep on playing them.
I actually asked for rebuttal and named some exceptions myself.
So for you to post a reply doing nothing other than talking about what age Mark Hateley was when he joined was quite poor.

I haven't been a fan since he signed but did hope he would prove me wrong unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

No doubt there is a player in there somewhere but he just doesn't suit our style of play. He slows down our midfield to much. If the reported wage is true he has turned out to be a costly signing.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out, lets hope he heads back down south but his performances won't have suitors knocking at the door.

Not coming on to bash him as the whole team (apart from £50k GK) were pish.

Kamara has moved up a level in the past few games. An absolute stand out. He’s phenomenal. Very un-assuming but what he does slot of the time goes un-noticed.

I would guarantee Gerrard is back in for him before anyone else
I said in the transfer window thread that I think that interest from Villa at the very least is nailed on for January because Nakamba has just been ruled out for three months with injury.

He really isn't. He's not been used right. If anything he's undynamic but when he's given the run of midfield he's really very good.
If Long John Silver was given "the run of the midfield", he'd be very good.

This is Scottish football. No-one is given time on the ball, and someone like Lundstram is very poorly-suited to playing here. Waste of a jersey, waste of a wage. I hope that Gio played him today (or for some of today), simply so he could get a clear picture of Lundstram's ability to contribute. Which is minimal.

Get shot of him, and either buy a dynamic midfielder - or see what young Kelly can do.

He's been asked to play a few roles that he's never, to my knowledge, played before i.e a deep lying playmaker and a ball winning CM. At Sheff Utd he was playing more of an Arfield role and done well, he actually has a good strike on him but his passing is honestly quite poor.

He just doesn't fit our style of play. I have no idea what he's on per week but I'd guess he's one of our highest earners. Are we getting value for money ? Absolutely not. If we get a decent offer, hopefully from down south, I'd gladly let him go. If rumours are true and he's our biggest earner then I can get why Goldson, for example, is wanting more.

I said what I thought of Lundstram early on and people pulled me up for it. Half a season later and people are finally starting to realise.

Look at his playing career. I think he has played for more clubs than anyone else in our squad. That means he’s played under many different coaches, being asked to do many different things. This nonsense that he needs to get upto speed on Gio’s tactics doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny.

He’s a journeyman, that a team in the EPL let run down his contract. Honestly it feels like a pals looking after pals signing from Gerrard.

You simply can’t say it’s because he doesn’t fit into our system. With the amount of teams he’s been in and not got anywhere it’s evident that he can’t fit into most systems.

Get him sold and just forget it ever happened

Why he was subbed and arfield left on was madness arfield must’ve been dizzy on Saturday amount of times he was running around in circles chasing his own shadow.
For the guy to be written off and he’s not even here 6 month is baffling but sadly not surprising

Our team lacked pace at weekend with he, arfield and hagi all slow.

Lundstram has been disappointing in many games and decent in a few.

Not earning his hefty wages.

I didn’t think he was too bad on Saturday and was surprised he was subbed.

As somebody mentioned previously in this thread, if he’s on the wages mentioned then it’s been a terrible buy as all it’s done is unsettle some of the other lads who are playing well - of course they’ll be asking for the same or more wages than him if they’re playing consistently well.

He wasn't the worst. That award goes to Arfield whose contribution amounted to plodding around the midfield pointing at United players as they ran past him.

I said what I thought of Lundstram early on and people pulled me up for it. Half a season later and people are finally starting to realise.

Look at his playing career. I think he has played for more clubs than anyone else in our squad. That means he’s played under many different coaches, being asked to do many different things. This nonsense that he needs to get upto speed on Gio’s tactics doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny.

He’s a journeyman, that a team in the EPL let run down his contract. Honestly it feels like a pals looking after pals signing from Gerrard.

You simply can’t say it’s because he doesn’t fit into our system. With the amount of teams he’s been in and not got anywhere it’s evident that he can’t fit into most systems.

Get him sold and just forget it ever happened
This aged well

Bit of an unfair bump tbh. He wasn't playing well at all at the beginning and really did slow a lot of play down.

Turns out that it's a good lesson in giving players time to settle, and maybe a bit of a look at how Gerrard was playing him in a way that clearly didn't get the best out of Lundstram, but it would be a bit of a revision to say criticism wasn't warranted at the time.

Bit of an unfair bump tbh. He wasn't playing well at all at the beginning and really did slow a lot of play down.

Turns out that it's a good lesson in giving players time to settle, and maybe a bit of a look at how Gerrard was playing him in a way that clearly didn't get the best out of Lundstram, but it would be a bit of a revision to say criticism wasn't warranted at the time.
I made the point that we should give him time to settle, ergo- he wasnt in form, however people had written him off. I'm merely stating that these people should no longer voice an opinion on rangers players...

Back