Lundstram

Agree. When he starts we never seem to get pace in our passing or movement ; think he’s better suited to a team who defend most of the game; not a player who can find killer pass in games even against bottom half teams. Was gonny say “diddy teams” but Thot it would be cruel lol
Honestly, he probably suits Gerrards system more (as in 1 number 6) as opposed to Gio’s 2 midfielders. Gio wants his midfielders to be agressive, Lundstram doesn’t offer that, compare and contrast to Arfield who suits that role to a tee. And btw, Arfield doesn’t suit the 10 role either that he started in today.

He slows everything down, it is not his fault right enough as he is a DM that prefers to be breaking up and sitting tight against a team under pressure. We are rarely under consistent backs to the wall and we have to transition quickly, he doesn’t or cannot do that.

A high wage earner, I would get rid tbh.

At times he doesnt do to much wrong, holds on to the ball and passes it well however I never really want to see him in the starting line up at Ibrox when we know we have to break a team down.

I thought he set the tone from the first minute, where we had a chance to attack, and he passed behind the man, halting any forward momentum, which is his trademark.

I wanted us to sign him, thought he'd be a good acquisition. I was wrong, he's got no awareness at all. I'd sell him and Simpson in January, if we've any takers, get them off the wage bill.

Any more performances like Hagi's today, and I'd cash in on him too, we cannot afford passengers this season.
Hagi was the sponsers man of the match! :eek: His family must have been the sponser because he was the worst player on the park after Lundstram.

I think the poor performance today was a lot to do with having no idea how Dundee Utd were going to set up, most of their team was youth/reserves. Wouldn't blame it on individuals.

Apart from Hagi, who just didn't have a good game. Must have been some good gear doing the rounds in hospitality for him to get motm.

Lundstram wasn't bad, we just didn't need him on the park.

He's back up for Kamara. Davis is the same right now.
Hard to imagine we don't have somebody in our squad or in the junior ranks who couldn't be Kamara's apprentice. Lundstram is not an improvement on what we already had so shouldn't have been signed on a massive wage.

The worrying thing is if Arfield and Hagi and even Davis don’t get their finger out Lundstram might find himself in the team at the piggery. I have a feeling GVB would be happy with a draw at the cesspit.

I'd take a draw if you offered me it tbh.

However, I'd start the game to beat them and then maybe settle for the draw and if you're doing that Lundstram is the perfect person to bring on for the last 20-minutes to see the game out if you're happy with a draw.

I feel myself going to contradict myself as I'm typing but I suppose it's hard to say atm - we need to see how the game pans out and evaluate things during the match and make any change to suit what's going on on the pitch on that given day. They could be there for the taking, in which case, why put the buffers on and hold back and see it out for a draw?
I agree. I would take coming away from there without a defeat but I think they are there for the taking and if we have a go at them we’ll beat them.

Lundstram is clearly a good player but one that isn't suited to our system under Gio. A perfectly fine player but his style of slowing it down and playing it backwards is no use in this league

We're in no position to allow a high earner to be used in a Bongani Zungu closer role so it wouldn't stun me to see him go elsewhere in January if we can get a club to pay his wages
In all honesty we'd be in a better position in more than a few ways if we had Zungu over Lundstram.

he’s shite, he used to play in the premier league he could not lace ryan jacks boot and that’s only the left one

Aside from the obvious (Barker, Simpson etc) Lundstram should be the first out the door in my opinion.

There's a case to be made for a few players being moved on tbh.

He’s rubbish.

Not at all suited to a team who dominate the ball and move it about quickly. I lose track of the amount of times we’re shifting the ball quickly looking a threat, it goes to him, he takes too many touches slows the ball down to standing pace then turns back taking all impetus out of our attack. The opposition are all back in position and we have to start from scratch again. Incapable of playing the ball quickly or forward.

That’s alright against a good team where we need to slow things down and take the sting out, so little wonder he did ok for Sheffield United, but if ever a player wasn’t suited to how we play and our club it’s him, slow in thought and body, a very very poor signing.

Usually the same @rseholes who you know from their posts on other threads watch football but don’t really understand it.

If you had to pick a 1-10 of order of being taken off at half time Lundstram would have been one of the last.
And that’s why Gio subbed him, because he’s a clueless @rsehole and doesn’t really understand football.

Last edited:
It was common knowledge that this guy was a premiership player who was out of contract so a blind donkey gets bought for millions in that league. I would be over the moon to get £2 million for this donkey and rid of a substantial cost to our wage structure. More than happy for Ross to work his magic and sell him for more. I do agree this guy is rubbish but our rubbish is the championships player of the year. WATP.

Not only has he never won player of the year, he has never even been nominated. He is a plodder. An absolute journeyman who is levels away from being good enough. Andy Halliday offered us more in the middle of park!

At this stage the only thing I have left to cling on to is other players have taken a while to settle in before raising their level considerably, Barasic being an example

Lundstram has been a major disapointment so far
I'm like you you'd have to think there is a player there, but he's not demonstrated this on a consistent basis to give me any confidence.

When I saw his name on the teamsheet yesterday, I can't say I wasn't concerned - particularly with Kamara and Hagi - neither of who have any real pace.

Does Wilder like him?

Be good to attempt to shift him on. He’ll be on a large packet and we could reinvest it.

Some players just don’t suit our style.

He’s never had the ball this much in his career. It doesn’t suit him.

My take on Lundstram is simple. I think he’s ok in the holding role but his wage simply cannot be justified as he is not a guaranteed starter so we have to offload him.

His best performance was against Hearts at home and what a terrific goal he scored.

However he just doesn’t suit our style of play.

Here’s a question: if Lundstram was playing for another SPFL side like Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs, do you think he would stand out? I personally think he would and would score goals that would rank him up their in the midfielder scoring stats but it’s his wage that simply cannot be justified.

If he’s an £8-12k free signing from Aberdeen like Wright everyone would have a totally different opinion about him. But he’s not and it’s a really poor signing from Wilson and Gerrard.

We have some folk in the transfer window thread genuinely believing we could attract bids of £6m+ for Lundstram which is just mental. I genuinely think if we offered him to Championship clubs in January the best we’d get is an offer in the region of £500k.

The main question with any lundstram thread is… who will be the whipping boy after he leaves?

In central midfield we have Kamara, Davis, Jack, Arfield and Lundstram. A couple of points.

1 - any time we’ve played 3 of them together we’ve struggled. We need Aribo or Hagi at the front of the 3.

2 - Davis and Arfield are getting on, Jack isn’t dependable, and Kamara is one of our most sellable assets. It’s an area we need to invest in asap.

In central midfield we have Kamara, Davis, Jack, Arfield and Lundstram. A couple of points.

1 - any time we’ve played 3 of them together we’ve struggled. We need Aribo or Hagi at the front of the 3.

2 - Davis and Arfield are getting on, Jack isn’t dependable, and Kamara is one of our most sellable assets. It’s an area we need to invest in asap.
Two centre midfielders and Hagi as an ACM

Lundstram was extremely poor in the first 5 or 6 games of his Rangers career. He then actually came in to a decent game for a few games, including starting a few not long before Gerrard departed. At that point it seemed to be that he was at least capable of contributing. But his game time has fallen away under Gio, although I did think he added something when he came on for the last 15 minutes or whatever it was at Tynecastle.

Whilst it is impossible to justify Lundstram as our top earner, I do no think Lundstram suffers a bit just from the mix of midfielders we currently have. We badly lack an energetic, all rounder type who is the main man in midfield. Lundstram isn’t that. Davis for me has fallen away badly this season and is now just so negative that he is living on past reputation. Kamara is talented but flawed for me - as good as he was in the second half yesterday, he was virtually anonymous in the first half. Far too often for me he just doesn’t impose himself on the game enough. Unless and until he plays with more energy more consistently he will continue to flash the ability which seduces us but in fact deliver quite a bit less than I think many people think he is delivering. Arfield, Aribo and Hagi aren’t your typical midfielders, being more break the line types rather than guys who are going to sit in the middle of the park to dictate the play.

Long story short, I think we have quite an odd combination of midfielders. I’d love to see us pick up an all rounder type who is our main man in midfield and then see how the pieces fit in around that. Maybe that’s what we thought we were getting in Lundstram. If so then he has clearly not lived up to expectations. But I do think we have other issues in midfield, not just Lundstram. You only need to look at yesterday when, for most of that game, it was our central defence not midfield who were the ones building our attacks. In most good midfields you would have one of your midfielders dictating the play, but yesterday none of Lundstram, Kamara or Arfield was doing that.

I don’t think he’ll go next month but can certainly see him moving on in the summer.

Unless a CM is brought in over the January window, it would be silly to let Lundstram go. Davis hasn’t been on form this season and Jack is permanently injured.

Outrageous post. Alot of players take between 6 months and a year to settle, yet this guys written off despite some cracking performances September/ october.

Aribo and barasic fell into the above bracket, kent was poor his first 6 months too.

Lundstram could b our number 6 for a good few years, our systems just about to change and kamaras due a move. Op- get your head out of the sand.

Outrageous post. Alot of players take between 6 months and a year to settle, yet this guys written off despite some cracking performances September/ october.

Aribo and barasic fell into the above bracket, kent was poor his first 6 months too.

Lundstram could b our number 6 for a good few years, our systems just about to change and kamaras due a move. Op- get your head out of the sand.
Or he could be the English Dragan Mladenović. Nothing remotely outrageous about the OP.

Letting Kamara leave & having Lundstrum step in as the 1st choice no6 would be criminal.

Stuff of nightmares

Interesting, I didn’t think that at all. I thought Arfield played the 10 and it didn’t suit him at all.
Kamara was more advanced than Lundstram for around 30 minutes before Gio switched them.

But yeah Arfield was the most advanced.

Playing two holding mids doesn’t work for us in any game. We struggle to break players down.

That being said, kamara was just as bad in the first half as was all the team. Think people are being way too harsh

If JL played for any other team on this league he could be a very effective player - he’s set up for a battle - but our battle is to break down ultra defensive teams.

Useful in Europe - but not so much the SPFL.

He’s brutal
He had a few motm's and got plenty of praise so to suggest he is brutal is ridiculous imo! Some of his performances are as questionable as the regulars and he has shown he is as capable with the right mix and tactical formation!

Not really his fault the EPL is completely overrated thanks to tv coverage, been on supersunday oh well must be magic, it was also the wrong team we picked but possibly it was to get JL some game time in the hope some english clubs are watching... had to change it though at ht.

I dont really agree with the view he would be brilliant in another scottish team tbh.

The most bizarre thing about Lundstram is the cult like following he has on here. No matter how poor he is, regardless of whether the manager subs him for being a weak link, you’ll still have his loyalists on here calling the rest of us arseholes, and we’re just too ignorant to see what he brings. Which would seem to include Gio this week.

Mental.

He’s a square peg for a round hole. Would probably do well at a Burnley or their ilk.

Got banned before by saying he is dogshit lol.

Turns like a tank. Always points at others to make the forward pass but never seems to have the ability to do it himself.

Got banned before by saying he is dogshit lol.

Turns like a tank. Always points at others to make the forward pass but never seems to have the ability to do it himself.
I’m convinced Gerrard knows his auntie in Liverpool or something.
Bizarre signing.

Usually the same @rseholes who you know from their posts on other threads watch football but don’t really understand it.

If you had to pick a 1-10 of order of being taken off at half time Lundstram would have been one of the last.

Nonsense, aside from Hagi, who was playing like he'd never seen a football before, it was obvious that Lundstram was having a negative effect on our play.
The guys I was watching with all agreed he needed to be hooked at HT. GvB obviously agreed, so we're all aresholes apparently, or maybe you're one ? :))

I think he's a good player and has a lot of quality can shoot from distance and good in the tackle his problem is in build up play he holds on to the ball too long before releasing it

I don’t think he’s a bad player he just doesn’t suit playing further up the pitch. He either plays as the “DM” or a cameo near the end of a match to shore things up.

Glen Kamara incidentally is far better as our DM now. It allows two more attack minded players in the midfield.

Back