Lundstram

What I dont understand is Clement changes players to freshen things up in the squad, however, seems to constantly play the same core players. Is it maybe that these players are now burnt out?

Lundstram a few months ago was outstanding, what's changed... rumour I heard, he's on £37k a week, board have offered £19k to stay, his reps told them not to bother with another derisory offer.

If true, coincides with his form dip, and no player is going to risk injury if they are looking to move on.

Similar to what he did at Sheffield United isn’t it?

Him and Lawrence were that far back last night they should have had a goalie top on. Compare and contrast our midfield to the scum’s who have a playmaker sitting plus others pushing on scoring goals from the edge of the box and inside it. We have absolutely zilch threat from midfield. Lawrence is totally finished.

Lundstram a few months ago was outstanding, what's changed... rumour I heard, he's on £37k a week, board have offered £19k to stay, his reps told them not to bother with another derisory offer.

If true, coincides with his form dip, and no player is going to risk injury if they are looking to move on.
So this is why he has basically given up. Zero pride or wanting to win for the fans. Makes sense tbh. Average player with average mentality.

He is brutally average, cumbersome, slow and lacks concentration. To think there is even an inkling of renewing his contract is utterly depressing. Get rid in the summer

I'll be livid if i read a 'Lundstram signs new X year deal' headline any time soon. Even moreso if the article is doing its numbers in Roman numerals.

A quick look at this season’s attendances provides some insight. Top appearances for them is 41, for us 51. Butland and Tav are on 51 and Lundstram 48. That’s a heck of a lot of football under pressure. It reflects on our horrendous injury record and lack of good cover in some positions.

So our top appearances are 25% higher than their’s. That counts against us towards the end of the season.

He's been brutal for the vast majority of his Rangers career and is vastly overpaid for what he brings to the team which to be honest isn't a huge amount

Can't pass, slow across the ground, can't drive out with the ball, struggles to track runners, shooting isn't particularly good- what does he actually do well?

Thought he'd maybe turned the corner in Clements first few months but is back to being the player he always has been

This gets said in every single thread about individual players threads.

People are determined to keep losers.
You can’t say that on here. The losers in this forum will continue to support the losers in our team.

I seriously hope Clement can show to me that he really does have it and drops half this team and builds one up back to be a proper Rangers team.

Runs into space, gets it back. Starts the five yard pish again, runs into space gets it back.

Or.

Drops into a back three, meaning there is only one pinch point in midfield to receive a pass. Too dangerous. Ball shuffled wide invariably to Tavernier. If covered, back inside for the five yard pish all over again. Or, Tavernier goes on a mazy dribble, before a cross is played in to, invariably, no cnut.

The manager must shoulder some of this. It was practically identical in the darker times under Gio.
Clement was watching this at County and again last night so he must either condone the nonsense or the players are ignoring his instructions.

Either way it’s a shambolic situation.

BBC rumour page saying he is favouring staying and signing the contract offer. Id withdraw the offer right now
He's probably realised that that's as good as he's going to get anywhere else, based off his recent performances. Didn't the same thing happen at Sheffield United when his contract was running down?

So this is why he has basically given up. Zero pride or wanting to win for the fans. Makes sense tbh. Average player with average mentality.
I'd say it's worse than that.

He's actually a very poor player technically, who's physical attributes, when aligned with him actually wanting to put the effort in and showing the right mentality, get him over the line to be a good player for us.

But he seemingly can't be arsed now he's, again, as contract talks have stalled. He's been poor throughout his time here other than the Europa season when it was fresh and exciting for him and the last couple of months, playing for a contract.

It's about him, zero personal pride or playing for the jersey or fans.

Clement was watching this at County and again last night so he must either condone the nonsense or the players are ignoring his instructions.

Either way it’s a shambolic situation.
Hear, hear mate.

The amount of punters on here that want to completely exonerate Clement is incredible but entirely unsurprising.

It's like a re-run of the excuses trotted out for Mick Beale and Gio before him.

There are others far more culpable for our problems than Lundstram
I'd have said that a few weeks ago but after watching the last few games I'd say he's a massive part of the problem. In his position he's the one supposed to be setting the pace of the game, he's jogging around taking far too many touches and rarely playing forward. Everything he does is so slow that the opposition easily get back in position before we get near their box

Whether folk like it or not he is a consistent, and generally a solid 7/10 every week. He is one of the players that has divided opinion of fans some just can’t stand him but don’t appreciate the good he does, all about the mistakes he makes or every bad result is on him.

Compare him with any of our players, particularly midfield and no one comes close. Look at his seasons heat map, a genuine box to box midfielder, not an Arfield going beyond, that is what Lammers, Cantwell, Lawrence, Dowell and others have tried and failed.

Reality is we set up with no shape and generally have a one man “midfield”. Other than set pieces when have you seen any of our other “midfielders” making challenges in or around our box.

Wouldn't surprise me if he is playing with pain killers again. Something is definitely wrong and don't think he is the kind of guy who would down tools.

His form has dropped off a cliff, which makes me think his contract negotiations have not gone well. Whatever the reason I would have Sterling in midfield ahead of him, if only for his energy. Personally I feel he is wasted at LB or even on the wing

What was the contract length offered and does it come with a signing-on fee? 19k over 3-4 years hardly seems "derisory".

The harsh reality is that he's unlikely to get significantly better elsewhere. I won't be surprised if he re-signs.

I think he's been asked to do too much and his form has suffered. He requires someone to assist with the hard yards alongside him and instead Clement has tried Cantwell, Lawrence + Dowell.

He reminds me currently of the tramp when playing for the rattlers.

No pace or tactical insight but a 95% pass completion rate. Passes over 5 to 10 yards almost all square or back.
I was going to post similar earlier - like a skinny Neil Lennon. Popcorn teeth might've passed the ball forward more which is a damning indictment on Lundstram.

Wouldn't surprise me if he is playing with pain killers again. Something is definitely wrong and don't think he is the kind of guy who would down tools.
He has previous for this, under GVB latterly and in Napoli when he deliberately got himself booked in order to miss the Ajax game.

He wasn’t taking painkillers then.

Yet two weeks ago the same posters were raving about him

Calling for Butland for England
I’ve got to say when Lundstram signed I had my reservations when Sheffield Utd fans warned this would happen.
As for Butland the guy has been terrific and saved us a good few times. His form has been one of the only plus points. I can’t fault the guy. Sure he’s made mistakes but who hasn’t.

If the club or Clement think offering Lundstram a new deal will wash with the support, they are sorely mistaken. JL has reverted to type: slow, cumbersome, negative, weak - all the opposites of what a commanding Rangers midfielder needs to be.

Get him moved on in the summer. He is NOT good enough.
The evidence is right there for anyone who thinks he should stay.
I'm. Not saying he's good enough or should stay I'm undecided tbh

What I can see is a player that had been run into the ground while others have being rotated and he looks physically done trying to be a one man midfield. Dio has helped that but dio is the one rotated.

You then have the contact situation that in the end the club should not have asked to get to this stage it generally always ends badly

To me is another another example of poor management by the club.

He’s been on his game for period and now seems to have regressed back.

I just hope this isn’t due to the nice security of a new deal he’s signed which hasn’t been announced

I'd sell majority of squad including Butland who's fee could finance part of the rebuild.
I'd keep Sterling, Yilmaz, Diomande, Raskin, McCausland, Cortes and if we can get him Sima.
The rest can be sent on their way
Why Raskin?

He barely plays and when he does play he’s shite

He’s a streaky player. When he’s good he’s good. When he’s not, he’s a waste of a jersey. Been the same for 4 years

Have said it before the club have badly mismanaged his contract situation.

If we were serious about keeping him the deal should have been done months ago (at a time when he was playing well and everyone would have been on board with it). Now its been dragged on for months and his deal is up in six weeks time and there is a possibility he is now subconsciously playing within himself in case he picks up an injury and fucks his chances of a deal with anyone

Based on what mate?

Genuine question cause I can’t see how he offers anything
Based on what he showed previously. I think he needs arun in the team after his injury.
I think a good pre season under his belt and he, Sterling and Diomande could be our midfield regulars

Based on what he showed previously. I think he needs arun in the team after his injury.
I think a good pre season under his belt and he, Sterling and Diomande could be our midfield regulars
Honestly I don’t think he’s shown anything of note apart from a couple of games since he joined. Nothing attacking wise, passing ability or in a defensive way.

Hope he comes good but can’t see it mate

The manager clearly trusts him and up until the last 5 or 6 weeks he was repaying that trust in spades.

That being said though, Lundstram has always had his limitations. He’s taken over Steven Davis’s role as the fulcrum of our play (I’ll stop short of using the term ‘playmaker’ because unlike Davis I don’t really see him as that type of player).

Which is part of the issue. He doesn’t have the skill or range of passing to be that player. He’s played as well as he probably can for long spells this season under Clement, but the feeling remains we need better in that role.

Personally I’d be thanking him for his services at the end of the season and allowing him to move on as a free agent, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s offered an extension.

He's being selected to do the Number 6 job, but isn't cut out for it.

He can't keep things ticking over quickly when we get the ball and doesn't break up opposition transition play when we don't.

Two purple patches of good form in almost 3 season!! Absolutely pathetic considering he’d been play regularly in the EPL and obviously on a good salary with us. In the bin with the rest of them when the season comes to an end.

3-4 weeks ago i was 100% for Lundstram to get a new contract, i have now 100% u-turned and want him away in the summer

I’m exactly the same.

We need to get shot of as many of them involved in this collapse as we can.

We need to take advantage of the fact a few like Lundstram are out of contract and reinvest their substantial wages wisely.

Back