Lyndon Dykes

Lawrence shankland a year ago for nowt would have been better.
Who knows- when morelos was posted missing in more ways than than none after Xmas he could have done us a turn.
Big mistake not too have took him on after looking at frauds like gezda and barker.
Dykes, worth no more than a million.

Shankland is a completely different player to Dykes.

Dykes would be an option for us in the air/to go route one.

22 goals in 140 odd league games for Queen of the South and Livi combined since 2016.

£2m? Right then....

(That ofcourse if wiki is correct and someone hasn’t changed the figures)

Call it a lazy comparison if you want but this just screams another Greg Stewart/Jordan Jones signing to me.

I’m sure Livi will be paying him the equivalent salary of a 2m player?

No?
That argument only works when the player is out of contract and negotiating a new deal with the valuating club.

It is possible for a player to be rated and valued way higher than his current salary would indicate. A good season, half a good season even would drive that. Look at the boy Turnbull at Motherwell and the rumoured transfer fee for example. He'd have been on peanuts.

The £2m valuation is of course laughable but they are within their rights to start the price high.

Wherever he goes it will around 750k I'd imagine.

Last season Dykes scored 2 league goals in 36 appearances for Queens, all starts no sub appearances. Stephen Dobbie score 43 for them that season in 30 appearances ! Not suggesting we sign Dobbie mind :))

22 goals in 140 odd league games for Queen of the South and Livi combined since 2016.

£2m? Right then....

(That ofcourse if wiki is correct and someone hasn’t changed the figures)
Agree, you work out how good a striker is by goals to games ratio.

I wouldn’t like him to sign for Celtic, unlike most on here I think he’s a real threat and with better service would score more goals.
Is sign him but I really hope he doesn’t go there.

Dykes - 22 goals in around 120 games
Shankland - 75 goals in around 85 games
How do you work out he is a better player?
Other plus points , a Rangers man from Glasgow.
If dykes plays for Australia, he s away for 2 weeks at a time.
Shankland would have cost nothing and wages , peanuts.

Different players, similar age.

Dykes is quicker, more mobile, more physical, better on the ball. Couldn't care less if Shankland is a Rangers man. He's not good enough.

I'll pass on both, add Kamberi too. We need better.

Different players, similar age.

Dykes is quicker, more mobile, more physical, better on the ball. Couldn't care less if Shankland is a Rangers man. He's not good enough.

I'll pass on both, add Kamberi too. We need better.
I agree all 3 are not good enough.
They are like players i watched in the 80s such as sandy clark, john mcdonald, davy mitchell.
And what did we win then.
No more barkers of the world would be good.

That argument only works when the player is out of contract and negotiating a new deal with the valuating club.

It is possible for a player to be rated and valued way higher than his current salary would indicate. A good season, half a good season even would drive that. Look at the boy Turnbull at Motherwell and the rumoured transfer fee for example. He'd have been on peanuts.

The £2m valuation is of course laughable but they are within their rights to start the price high.

Wherever he goes it will around 750k I'd imagine.

Fair enough although I think 2m is pie in the sky for any livi player, and I agree 750k is far more reasonable. The old adage that your only worth what someone is willing to pay is quite apt here though, I’m wary of being drawn in to a bidding war with the mockets and end up overpaying just to seal the deal.

Ps. Just to clarify I like Dykes and think he’d be a good squad player against the dross.

For me we don’t play the type of game that would get the best out of a guy like dukes . Useful player but not designed for us

Last season Dykes scored 2 league goals in 36 appearances for Queens, all starts no sub appearances. Stephen Dobbie score 43 for them that season in 30 appearances ! Not suggesting we sign Dobbie mind :))

To be fair he played wide for them while Dobbie was banging the goals in like a machine. Agree he is never worth two million.

2mil is fantasy stuff they won’t get anywhere near that - and that was before the Covid pandemic.

Wonder who they thunk will pay that as I won’t be us and I doubt the beasts will pay it.
Don't know about the fantasy stuff, Sevull calculator may put him at £2M given that an article in the Mail on Sunday talks about Edouard as £30M rated using the same Sevull calculator.

For me we don’t play the type of game that would get the best out of a guy like dukes . Useful player but not designed for us

Agree with that point in general but we are also far too one dimensional and and would give us the ability to mix it up a bit if required. We ended up lumping high balls to Defoe against Hearts in the cup.

I can't logically argue against signing this guy- I'm sure he could make some contribution & there's a lot worse out there

All things considered though- & on instinct, gut feeling & voodoo alone - I don't want him - there's just something suggesting 'flop' about him

Don't know about the fantasy stuff, Sevull calculator may put him at £2M given that an article in the Mail on Sunday talks about Edouard as £30M rated using the same Sevull calculator.

Being honest they have more chance of getting 30m for Eduard than Livi have of getting 2m for Dykes.

£500k and McCorie on loan for full season this time is all they should be offered if we are serious in him. However I wouldn’t want him going to the scum unless he’s a replacement for Eduardo as it then becomes a major downgrade instead of another option

I like him as a player, but 2M is far too much, as he is an unknown quantity at a higher level. If anything it should be 1M max, with a hefty sell on clause.

Another day, another link to a Daily Rhetard article.

I haven't seen much of Dykes but I feel like I'm clearly missing something a lot of others are seeing. I'm not saying he won't be a decent player but £2m for Dykes when Hagi cost £3m and Alfredo cost £1m will never make sense to me.

He got sent off at Ibrox by Willie Collum so god knows how many bans he would get in our shirt. I know he done Helander for pace at the cup tie a few times but he then also missed every chance. I have also watched Stevie May and Eamon Brophy give our defence the runaround at times.

I don't think he has proven himself in this league yet. One uncompleted season in this league, though 9 goals is decent for a Livi foward, and before that it was 3 seasons in the Scottish Championship with a total of 10 goals according to his wiki page.

gSm9GKq.gif

Given his style & strengths, LD would be targeted by the corrupt SFA officials were he ever to don our colours, completely blunting him. Especially against them.

Last edited:
If we English club is interested is £2M I assume. No way a Scottish club would pay that. Pick a number between one and ten then divide the two million by it.

Not convinced he’s a great footballer but would certainly give us an option we don’t have at the moment ( in the SPL especially ).
I’d be at the less than a million level though.

£500k and McCorie on loan for full season this time is all they should be offered if we are serious in him. However I wouldn’t want him going to the scum unless he’s a replacement for Eduardo as it then becomes a major downgrade instead of another option
There are 4- 6 we could loan out.

I wouldn’t sign him this season although if he does decent I’d probably take a punt next year where he could at least take Defoe’s spot as third choice

We need a minimum of three strikers. If Morelos is to leave, Dykes would be a decent option alongside what I would assume would be the expensive replacement.

Back