Male footballers should earn more than "less skilled" women according to US football authorities

Let’s have equality. Do away with separate men’s and women’s games, let the women compete on equal footing to get Into single teams on merit. If they get into a mixed team the rewards they get will be substantial simply because they have made it on merit.

Mind you their inclusion in such teams will likely be as common as female SAS troopers.
Dodgy analogy there.
Was there not a court case recently demanding the criteria be lowered to give females a chance of qualifying?

Quite simply the US international female players should be paid the same, if the price of their tickets is the same and they’re generating more.
If at club level the attendance averages are as stated, then they clearly they don’t deserve the same.
I don’t see the problem giving them the same at international level if they are generating more money and have higher attendances etc.
In the UK though, most sensible people can see women’s football for what it is. It’s like a glorified special olympics!

What is conveniently left out of this is that the women are paid a full time salary throughout the year as well as their bonuses for taking part in games whereas the mens teams aren’t paid the yearly salary.

Let them play each other. A draw or a win for the female team and they get their cash.

Seriously though, the women’s game is a new revenue market which is why it’s getting more exposure than it deserves. When I say deserves, I refer to the fact that the quality of play is clearly way off the mark.

I think the women’s game would benefit from a slightly smaller pitch and size of goal.

What is conveniently left out of this is that the women are paid a full time salary throughout the year as well as their bonuses for taking part in games whereas the mens teams aren’t paid the yearly salary.

I read something to the effect that the women’s team were offered a deal which was on a par with the men & they turned it down for their current deal.

The US national team should just base the salaries/game fees on the income that’s generated by the respective teams. If the women earn them more, they get payed more. I think this would fend off more lawsuits, but who knows? It is the land of the free, but also the litigious.

The Men’s team agree with the Women’s team but don’t let that stop the gammon brigade having a meltdown...

Men's bodies are better suited to sport. There is a reason they perform to a higher level.

The people screaming about discrimination are forgetting about biological reality.

This is to do with just the pay from the national team.. nothing to do with club football.

The US women's team actually generate more revenue than the men's team.

I'm pretty sure (being honest, haven't read everything), that the women are saying they should get more of a slice of that pie... and, I actually agree.

It's noting to do with the best striker in the women's MLS or whatever it is called being paid the same weekly wage as the best striker in the MLS.

From a financial perspective, there is no way women footballers should be earning the same as their male counterparts. Like it or not, the male game brings in the type of money that the women's game can only dream about. Our great club has been around for nearly 150 years. Women's professional football is still in its infancy. Maybe, one day, the women's game will be as popular as the men's (as unlikely as that seems) but it will take a lot of time.

Personally, I'm one of these people who thinks money has ruined the game so I'd never want to see women earning as much as male players are currently earning...purely because the men are vastly overpaid.

From a financial perspective, there is no way women footballers should be earning the same as their male counterparts. Like it or not, the male game brings in the type of money that the women's game can only dream about. Our great club has been around for nearly 150 years. Women's professional football is still in its infancy. Maybe, one day, the women's game will be as popular as the men's (as unlikely as that seems) but it will take a lot of time.

Personally, I'm one of these people who thinks money has ruined the game so I'd never want to see women earning as much as male players are currently earning...purely because the men are vastly overpaid.

Perhaps you should educate yourself as to what this is really about before you post such crap!

Based on the responses, I’m not even sure many of you actually read the article and just like any excuse to criticise women’s football.

The reality is that they are all professional footballers who are consistently the best team in the world and the men are total failures in comparison. Yet they are paid more to compete against some Caribbean nations in qualifiers like Cuba and Honduras.

Don't think what they are asking for is unreasonable at all.

It’s the same with most sports. The men are physically faster and stronger and therefore better.

I’m all for women footballers getting paid a lot more than they do and am supportive of women being paid equally to men in most professions, but where competitive sports is concerned, I’m sorry, but the product offered by the men is almost always superior therefore they should be paid more.
Your spot on but as another poster pointed out the American women have pulled in more revenue than the men in recent years so technically should they not be paid more than the men, I’m only throwing that out there as no doubt you’ll get the same misogynists throwing they don’t make as much as men due to smaller crowds , less revenue and all other sorts of pish associated with the women’s game which is the sort of shite that will hold this country’s game back for women, good to see rangers and them ploughing money into the women’s game, ffs there’s a big thread on one of the women in our ladies team but 98% of the comments are ‘I prefer men’ or words to that effect and that just about covers what most on here think about women’s football

Perhaps you should educate yourself as to what this is really about before you post such crap!
And perhaps you should read my response properly and see that I am discussing the financial aspects of women's football in general rather than this specific article.

At no point have I criticised the quality of the women's game. When in the UK I regularly attended women's football (Sunderland Ladies to be specific) and thoroughly enjoy it. Yes, it's slower and not as physical as the men's game but it is entertaining.

US women's soccer league's average attendance is under 6,000. Actually pretty impressive, but the MLS average is 22,000.
How in the name of f uck can the Wummin's national team yield more income given that club level has such a huge discrepancy in numbers?
I think women’s soccer in the USA has the highest participation of all the other sports in the USA, even more than men’s baseball, basketball and American football so the sponsorship money will be rolling in for it over there so that could possibly be why

I'm a big fan of the women's game but until it brings in the support, sponsorship and money the top mens tournaments do then of course they shouldn't be paid equally. The game might be the same but the job is vastly different
Came on to make exactly the same point. The females referred to in the article may be the pinnacle of the woman's game but the money they generate is nowhere near the money generated at the top end of the men's game. Men playing in the English National League (5th tier) play with exactly the same equipment and to the same set of rules as those playing in the Premiership so should they be paid equivalent wages. Off course they can't, and don't, simply because the revenue generated at this level does not permit this to be the case. I happened to cast my eye over the salaries paid in the WNBA (woman's basketball) and they were trumpeting a rise in the maximum permissible annual salary to 215,000 dollars. Now compare this to the best male players in the NBA who are earning around 100 times this amount. The reason for this disparity, the amount of revenue generated. Now, in saying all that, female "soccer" is, or at least was, the fastest growing sport in America so it is not entirely impossible that things will change and salaries may increase.

US women's soccer league's average attendance is under 6,000. Actually pretty impressive, but the MLS average is 22,000.
How in the name of f uck can the Wummin's national team yield more income given that club level has such a huge discrepancy in numbers?
I think one reason for the woman's team generating more money than the men's team is due to the fact that the woman's team are one of the, if not the, best teams in the world whereas the men's team are, in all fairness, pretty much an average team. Being the best at what you are doing, and winning things, will always engender more support and raise more money no matter the sport of gender.

It's fair to get paid the same when on international duty as US women's team generate the revenue.

For club football it's a ludicrous idea.

Do they generate more money year after year or have they generated more money on the occasional year winning a few world cups?

The women’s game should be played on a smaller park, always been one of my ‘concerns’ with it as it stands.

You’ll get some goalies in male amateur/Sunday teams in Scotland just now that are comfortably better than some female international keepers, so a smaller pitch to harness their different physical attributes would make it more watchable.

All just IMO, of course.

Women in industry get paid the same as men when doing the same job with the same value and the same conditions. For some reason we seperate sport by gender. There are no wummins only departments in industry claiming same pay and conditions. So why cant we do the same in sport. if you're good enough, then you're good enough.

"For some reason we seperate sport by gender"
Is that a serious point or do you really mean by sex?

Leave aside the obvious biological chasms (pretty well evidenced by the recent transgender discussions)

The economic status is there to see through history. Sport was a male dominated 'society'. Yes it is changing - and it's a good thing, but it's all about the quality of the product and the marketing around that.

I'd actually rather appreciate the sports events for what they are and not compare them

I'm a big fan of the women's game but until it brings in the support, sponsorship and money the top mens tournaments do then of course they shouldn't be paid equally. The game might be the same but the job is vastly different

It does in America. The women's team generate huge money for the US football association.

When do they build their own stadiums, training facilities off the back of their 50k support?

Piggybacking the men's sport then wanting the same cash. Their fitba is difficult to watch.

And perhaps you should read my response properly and see that I am discussing the financial aspects of women's football in general rather than this specific article.

At no point have I criticised the quality of the women's game. When in the UK I regularly attended women's football (Sunderland Ladies to be specific) and thoroughly enjoy it. Yes, it's slower and not as physical as the men's game but it is entertaining.

You literally wrote "From a financial perspective, there is no way women footballers should be earning the same as their male counterparts. Like it or not, the male game brings in the type of money that the women's game can only dream about."

Well, and this is relevant to this particular argument, the US women's team DO generate more money than the men's. So if it is about generating money, and they generate more, surely they deserve a bigger slice of that pie.

This has absolutely nothing to do with club football and that mouthy cow Rapinoe earning what Messi does, as that is just ridiculous, this is about how much they are paid when representing the USA by the US Soccer Federation.

Should it not about individual value regardless of gender? The truth is, no matter how much it's rammed down people's throats womens football isn't as interesting as mens. I will watch the Rangers womens team but that's because they are bearettes but not much else and I'm a bloody woman!

I read something to the effect that the women’s team were offered a deal which was on a par with the men & they turned it down for their current deal.

You are correct mate, both the mens & womans team do separate deals and the womens team had the option to receive the same amount as the mens but would mean that they couldn't keep receiving a monthly salary. However the womens team have now got greedy and want both the salary (which the men don't receive) and the same bonus structure as the mens team.

You literally wrote "From a financial perspective, there is no way women footballers should be earning the same as their male counterparts. Like it or not, the male game brings in the type of money that the women's game can only dream about."

Well, and this is relevant to this particular argument, the US women's team DO generate more money than the men's. So if it is about generating money, and they generate more, surely they deserve a bigger slice of that pie.

This has absolutely nothing to do with club football and that mouthy cow Rapinoe earning what Messi does, as that is just ridiculous, this is about how much they are paid when representing the USA by the US Soccer Federation.

They do get paid more, just differently as the US Fed is paying them a salary and insurance while the men get a win bonus if they are in the squad that wins

Right, ok. So is there a bigger benefit for the US Fed for the men winning compared to what they get if the women win?

When do they build their own stadiums, training facilities off the back of their 50k support?

Piggybacking the men's sport then wanting the same cash. Their fitba is difficult to watch.
I manage a couple of minutes at a time
08997862de572941b83c3fbb3c4cc20c.jpg

when the wife is out

Of course they should. Women footballers will be as good as men in a few years time, IMO. They seem to be a bit tougher too, no fainting at the slightest contact. Did anyone see the St Mirren player from their women’s team who dislocated her knee cap and just popped it back into place in the park, got up and continued the game? How many men would do that?

Of course they should. Women footballers will be as good as men in a few years time, IMO. They seem to be a bit tougher too, no fainting at the slightest contact. Did anyone see the St Mirren player from their women’s team who dislocated her knee cap and just popped it back into place in the park, got up and continued the game? How many men would do that?

Are you on drugs?

Players for national teams should be paid proportionally to the revenue they generate.

In terms of the US team. The women should be paid more. That is how capitalism works. The men will then earn more from their club contracts but if the womens team generates more money they should be paid more. Simple.

Back