Man utd looking to pay £30m for 16 yr old

The poor boy will be under crazy pressure with that price tag and will need to be something special to come anywhere near to living up to it.

I've mixed feelings about this. I agree it's an incredible gamble and symptomatic of today's football. On the other hand I wonder how much truth there is in this.

That’s absolutely mental! The money spent by the big clubs and even the small clubs in big leagues is a joke!

Can we not sign him on a cross border transfer cheaper since he is still a youth like chelsea tried with Gilmour? Then united can have him for 20 million.

What a ridiculous gamble. Club that size shouldn't be looking so naive in the market

Fucking bonkers

however I seriously doubt it will be 30 million

hsvjng said that Rooney was What 17/18 when they paid for him

Agreed, but at least Rooney was excelling in the Premiership rather than doing well in the Championship.
I think Man Utd will regret this one....
Cue the boy being the next Ronaldo :D

That is absolutely mental. He is clearly an excellent young player but knowing how a player will progress from 16 forwards is pretty much a guess, how close is he to as good as he'll get? Might continue to improve and be the best in the world, might stagnate from here. The EPL clubs paying that sort of money for potential is staggering.

Players still have to develop a lot from 16. The best players at that age can look ordinary at 18. Anyone else remember Billy Gibson? He was going to be a super-star but just never developed.

Man Utd are a joke now, the kid might turn out to be amazing but they have not addressed any of their current issues with the 1st 11.

I am enjoying watching them suffer to be honest.

The profligacy to be able to write off £30 million if the kid doesnt meet expectations. This shit is ruining our game.

Thought this must have been a Scottish media story about the wee Dembele at the mentally challengeds.

You could easily think that Man utd could go as long as Liverpool did without winning the title. They are so far off the top 2 in England City and Liverpool.

Ridiculous amount of money for a 16yr old.
Should spend the money on trying to strengthen their main team first

Wonder if he's more talented than the 16-year-old Hannibal Mejbri they paid 10 million for from Monaco! ... madness

How many times have we had the next 'big thing' at 16 only for him to not push on......Good luck to the lad but expectations will be massive.

Really think they would be better spending that money on someone who can step straight into the team and help them. They can stockpile potential but they are in danger of not making Europe and losing millions in reveneue as a result.

£25m for teirney proves that ,crazy money to pay for an average injury prone LB EPL is ruining football

Spot on. That is why, when the time comes to sell Alfie, we hope it is to a club in the mega rich EPL where £30m is treated by some as little more than pocket change.

By all accounts the boy is meant to be a real talent. £30 million for potential (especially English) in the Premier League isn't as mental as it sounds.

However the current Man Utd team is a laughing stock so I think they need to reconsider where their priorities lie.

Why do they even need to pay money for him if he hasn't signed his first professional contract yet?

Can they not just do what Chelsea done to us with Gilmour?

The squad rules are driving up prices. Every big transfer by an english player is way above what an equivalent foreigner would cost but as we've seen in our euro squads if you dont have enough home grown players you end up with a smaller squad. Man U are one of the few big clubs to not really have that issue tho with loads of their squad coming through their academy but then again given their recent form are those kids good enough for them.

Ed Woodward is a fucking clown.

Honestly for a club with the history and prestige of man united they’ve been turned into a commercial brand and laughing stock by this stupid lady's front bottom.

That said if they were to sniff any of our players double the price the daft tit Woodward would pay, milk him dry

the money in football is getting more obscene by the year
Agreed. And imagine giving a boy so young that amount of money. Would take someone with a strong character or at least with very trustworthy parents/advisors not to become an absolute rocket with that amount of cash behind you.

Back