Manager on transfer targets for January

If he's able to turn it on in spells and knows the standards required at rangers but chooses to drift out of games and be lazy then for me that's attitude. If he wanted to he could dominate games for large spells, he has the ability but he doesn't want to go and bust a gut.
He played about 5 first team games before he came to us, he’s a young guy who has to adapt to first team football in a league where it’s 100 mph football.

Now im getting excited about beale. I think it will be bumpy this season as hes gonna make and break some of the players. Just what we need.

We need to be patient. He will bring players in rangers class and players who really want to play for us.

Expect some disappointing performances till the summer but this will be beale getting to grips with the squad

Yeah look at Barisic, took a while to get going at first when he signed and a lot of fans just won’t forget this, even after his performances when we won the league and our European games. As soon as he has a few bad performances it’s the “heart of a mouse” chat again and we need to get rid.
Ultimately, we have quite a lot of arseholes in our fanbase who like to claim they are loyal and great supporters, but hate our team more than the mhanks do. They can't wait to get stuck into players if they dare to not win, then hide behind 'standards' as their justification.

He played about 5 first team games before he came to us, he’s a young guy who has to adapt to first team football in a league where it’s 100 mph football.
He's on a year long loan deal so how long do you let him adapt before deciding if we are going to sign him? You'd think he'd be desperate to impress and play as much football as he can at his age.

Support means get behind your team. As supporters that is supposed to be our job. We brag about being the best supporters in the world. That doesn’t just mean on the terraces, that means on the streets, in the pubs, on forums. Beale not even played one game, who says he can’t get a tune out of some of these players that everyone wants rid of ? FFS let’s wait and give these guys a chance….and get behind them
Consider this, maybe a 21 year old kid is low on confidence coz every time he makes a mistake he gets slaughtered from the stands or gets abuse on social media from his own fans…week after week.
Don't forget supporters waiting for the team after a bad result, not to try and gee them up a bit, but to complain that they didn't come over to them and give them a wee wave, all while being called every useless c*nt under the sun.

I think when he says ‘we recruited’ he means the collective ‘we’, as in the club. He mentioned stuff ‘we’ dis last season for example.

For that reason, I think its the matondo’s of the squad he is referring to. Wouldn’t be surprised if he is loaned or sold in January.

One can hope
That was how I read it too

I can see a few Aribo, Bassey type signings under Beale and it's the right thing to do.
I wonder if the Brazilian market will open up to us, I'm thinking emerging talents obviously.
Is the Brazilian market not difficult due to work permits, could be totally wrong as this is purely just based off playing football manager :))

Hopefully Beale can improve the players we’ve currently got also. Big issue I had with Gio, felt if anything players were regressing under him whereas Gerrard and co were constantly raising players games

Who is Matonda? If you mean Matondo, the club publicly stated there's no attitude problem there.

Tillman has no attitude problem whatsoever.

Alfie is Alfie.

:D

They can’t come out and state their employee has an attitude problem.

One, he could sue them. Two, it crashes the value of your asset.

I know nothing about his attitude, but he looks crap so far.

Not me you replied to but it’s not hard to see why people won’t want Ryan Jack getting a renewal. His injury record is awful and he’s not a player we can rely on.
My point is that it would not be 'far from tricky' to get rid of Jack, a current internationalist. Of course it would be a risk letting him go, we're not the only club who has injured players; Jack has been written off relentlessly, every pre-season, and yet proves himself time again. He gets injured, but when he plays he still proves his worth; I can see the logic of letting him go, but it's not so 'far from tricky' doing so.

My point is that it would not be 'far from tricky' to get rid of Jack, a current internationalist. Of course it would be a risk letting him go, we're not the only club who has injured players; Jack has been written off relentlessly, every pre-season, and yet proves himself time again. He gets injured, but when he plays he still proves his worth; I can see the logic of not wanting him, but it's not so 'far from tricky' doing so.
In his 5 seasons here he’s managed more than 25 games in a season just twice. He’s an excellent player when he does play but i don’t think we can afford to keep these players around when they don’t contribute enough anymore. He’s also getting older and I doubt his injury issues will be improving with age.

In his 5 seasons here he’s managed more than 25 games in a season just twice. He’s an excellent player when he does play but i don’t think we can afford to keep these players around when they don’t contribute enough anymore. He’s also getting older and I doubt his injury issues will be improving with age.
The problem we have is we have not really reinforced the midfield as we should have; players like Jack would be less burdened if we did so possibly.

McLean signed a new three year deal last week.

Cooper would be a no brainer for me. Left sided, rarely misses a game, goal threat, previously wanted by Gerrard and Beale.

I'm not convinced Ben Davies has the durability or robustness required for the number of games we play each season.
I'm not sure he can deal with the physicality up here at all.

I never understood shelling out over 4 million on a player like him in the first place which took up approximately a quarter of our summer spending, and ultimately left ourselves short in other areas of the squad.

Kamara and Alfie basically chucked it under Beale. They aren’t good enough to switch that back on, two of them will hopefully be out the door in January.
What rationale are you using to come up with “they aren’t good enough to switch back on “
If the latent ability is there all it needs is a refocus.
A new manager whom they could buy into could well provide the impetus to do so.
If not Kamara would fetch a few million in the transfer market and Alfie will go when suits Alfie due to his contract situation .
I suspect rejuvenation may will follow.
As for your assertion that they will hopefully be out the door in January they then would have to be replaced costing x amount and more cogently MB may very well conclude that there are other priorities in the squad which need addressed.

Last edited:
I don’t think attitude, fitness, hunger and desire has ever been a problem with Kent. Unlike others. He is always trying just far too inconsistent and his end product severely lacking. Maybe he wants a change. We’ll soon find out?
I think the problem has been the people getting on the end of the crosses. A perfect example was englands first game. Some of those crosses were nowhere near as good as the balls put in from both kent and tave on a weekly basis yet they were put in the back of the net. Doesn't matter how good the crosses are if there's nobody there to finish them.

To be fair I really think gio is to blame for a lot of the players drop in form. He tried to turn kamara into an attacking midfielder. He stopped tav from attacking, he isolated the wide players and they didn't even have anyone to hit with crosses either. Everything seemed so disjointed and nobody seemed to understand their role.

If you looked at matondo in preseason he was linking up very well with tav and I think it was lawrence. This was when the team wasn't playing so far apart. We were playing intricate passes and it was working well.

This was all changed and the players who did so well in that system started to fade away. He played against almost every players strengths.

To my kind, we need, as a minimum: a goalkeeper; a physically powerful centre half; two midfielders; a wide right player; and, if they go, replacements for Kent and Morelos. If we could in this transfer window pick up a couple of those pieces and bed them in during the second half of the season that would reduce the rebuild needed in the summer. It’s easy for me to say of course when it isn’t much of my money being spent but, insofar as the players are needed, there is certainly an attraction in front loading some summer spending now.

We are in dire need of a RW, LCB and CM in no particular order
We have Davies for LCB so hardly in dire need.
I also think we won’t sign a RW and think he’ll play a right sided forward like Roofe instead. That way if gives Tav the space he needs.
We absolutely need a CM as we’ve surrendered the legs we had in there and allowed them to dominate in recent games.

Have my doubts about seeing much activity in January tbh.

Feel like the board will want Beale to get as much out of this squad as possible until the summer and then, potentially, kick start a rebuild.

Still reckon we’ll see new deals handed out to the likes of Ryan Jack and Scott Arfield though.

I'd love Kent to sign a new deal and go again, and I'd love to sell Alfie for what we can get in Jan, he's a liability, don't get my wrong had some great moments, but best for both to part ways now we gave Colak
Your point is get rid of Alfie as we have Colak.
What happens if Colak is injured or suspended.
Do you expect Colak to play every game between now and end of season which is a curious train of thought.

Completely agree, although Kent probably has 6 months under Beale to earn a new contract rather than be offered one.

If he fails to sign and thinks the grass is greener then, it's career suicide IMO. He'll never be at a bigger club than he is right now.
100% mate. Not one of them will ever leave and join and bigger club. It really is that simple

I'm not sure he can deal with the physicality up here at all.

I never understood shelling out over 4 million on a player like him in the first place which took up approximately a quarter of our summer spending, and ultimately left ourselves short in other areas of the squad.

TBF he looks like he can step up out of defence and break the lines in terms of passing through the midfield but aye, I share the same concerns as you.

5 full 90 minutes all season doesn't exactly fill me with hope going forward.

Can see us looking at Cooper, McLean, Willock, Semenyo.

Cooper is a strong left sided CB previously linked.

McLean for the home grown quota/squad previously linked.

Willock can play on either flank has good stats for a wide player bit of potential there and Beale will know him well.

Semenyo has pace, power and is a hard working striker has previously played as a wide left sided forward quite a few clubs linked with him but he is the type of player we could bring in develop and flip for a big profit later down the line.
McLean not just sign a new contract?
Agree with others would impact us massively

McLean signed a new three year deal last week.

Cooper would be a no brainer for me. Left sided, rarely misses a game, goal threat, previously wanted by Gerrard and Beale.

I'm not convinced Ben Davies has the durability or robustness required for the number of games we play each season.
Agree

Have you watched him play?

He has the swagger of a world cup winner, not a 20 year old trying to make it. IMO he thinks he's above us, thats just my opinion and not factual.
Most peculiar your comments about Tillman based on nothing by your own admission..
Personally I admire players who have self confidence in their own ability.
I go back as far as Bud Johnston who also had that posture.
Players who generally exhibit such qualities are real assets and he fits right into our playing model of buying cheap (if we go ahead with the transfer fee at season end) and selling high.

After 55 a lot of them clearly thought it was job done, instead of refreshing and building from a position of strength we stagnated and ultimately regressed. Instead of a refresh we now need a complete overhall which takes time we don`t have and large amounts of cash which in all honesty nobody knows where it will come from as sellable assets are at a minimum.
Are you Rev IM Jolly.

TBF he looks like he can step up out of defence and break the lines in terms of passing through the midfield but aye, I share the same concerns as you.

There's been plenty of CH's throughout the years who have been decent on the ball but never suited to the harsh physicality up here.

Cardoso doing well in Portugal probably the most recent case.
Christ, a French WC winner in Basile Boli once upon a time couldn't hack it.

I just don't understand why recruitment teams can't grasp the importance of the tools needed for the particular job of a CH here.

I thought he would be a success with us plenty of good reports of course his ability on the ball was always the plus point but physically he doesn't look up to it to play 2 or 3 games a week and looks another player easily prone to knocks and injuries.

It will be interesting to see if Beale sees anything in him but we need to see better from Davies as it stands for £4 million we've been taken for mugs.

Last edited:
There's been plenty of CH's throughout the years who have been decent on the ball but never suited to the harsh physicality up here.

Cardoso doing well in Portugal probably the most recent case.
Christ, a French WC winner in Basile Boli once upon a time couldn't hack it.

I just don't understand why recruitment teams can't grasp the importance of the tools needed for the particular job of a CH here.
Couldn’t agree more. It may be a sad indictment of the Scottish game, but so be it. You need a bit of physicality in this league, particularly at CH. At the moment we are lightweight all over the park, but particularly at CH. The likes of Davies and King (recognising that it is early days for him and he is only 18) have attributes and maybe with the right partner one of them can make it as one of your CH partnership but I am not altogether convinced. If you gave me the alternative of a pair of physical centre halves then I would take take that anytime.

Reactions: cav

Wonder if Daniel Jebbison is someone else we might be keeping tabs on for the cross border - was highly rated and seems to have had a good loan move earlier in the season

He's on a year long loan deal so how long do you let him adapt before deciding if we are going to sign him? You'd think he'd be desperate to impress and play as much football as he can at his age.
Worth remembering that under the previous management team he was shoved in a position that he never played in numerous times. USG & PSV away, Celtic away, Liverpool away which.

Given the rest of our attacking players were regularly awful under Gio, maybe see how a different management team gets the best out of him before we decide whether to sign him?

I can see a few Aribo, Bassey type signings under Beale and it's the right thing to do.
I wonder if the Brazilian market will open up to us, I'm thinking emerging talents obviously.

It didn't when Beale was SG's first team coach so would surprise me if it did now.

There are enough good young players throughout Europe, indeed even looking further east to Asia but our blinkered scouting in concentrating mainly on English lower leagues and Belguim means they are overlooked.

Not sure what to expect from January's window as our signings in past each of the past 4 windows have, in the main, been underwhelming.

Back