March 2009. Didnt win a game. Blew 2-0 lead at home. 3 points behind. Went 8-1-0 to win it.

nelster

Official FF Paparazzi
Remember tight title races?

I’d genuinely forgotten how close we got to putting ourselves too far behind in this one.

6th March 2009. Lost 1-0 at home to Inverness (who were bottom)

21st March 2009. Blew 2-0 lead at home to Hearts.

Celtic were now 2 clear with a game in hand.

The following day Celtic drew 2-2 at Dundee Utd to let us off the hook.

Lots to happen in April and May.

Lots of the older guard will remember that 1 we didnt win at easter road, when Boyd / Novo had the ball over the line and Eddie Smith and his linesman (trying to find proof of the linesmans name) didnt give it. Possibly the angriest ive seen people on here that night.

Champions

Full season summary
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Rangers_F.C._season

We didn’t have 2 European games, with the potential for 2 more at this stage to fit in that season though

If we didn’t have the distraction of European football at this stage I’d actually fancy our chances at being able to turn it around

The ICT game was a midweek game IIRC.

We were blowing hot and cold that game then weir committed a foul that lead to the penalty.

Left the ground feeling awful and you could sense it with the fans.

Post split home and always will give opportunities. One thing is certain we must take max points to then. If so it's even stevens and we still have them to play. Remarkable considering how pysh we have been although that mob did look to be energetic today. Having said that, momentum is easy when you have a bent official like Walsh.

We had Walter there though.

I just think he had almost a superhuman strength to get players to bounce back after a poor result and run through brick walls for him.

I'm not saying GVB doesn't, too early to tell. I just know I was more confident in that season than I am in this one. Maybe due to the fact that we clawed back a substantial gap.

We didn’t have 2 European games, with the potential for 2 more at this stage to fit in that season though

If we didn’t have the distraction of European football at this stage I’d actually fancy our chances at being able to turn it around
Breath. Theres 1 away game at Dundee to get through. If we beat Red Star it changes the picture, agreed.

The ICT game was a midweek game IIRC.

We were blowing hot and cold that game then weir committed a foul that lead to the penalty.

Left the ground feeling awful and you could sense it with the fans.
An Ian Black penalty IIRC.

Listened to it on SSN. Think it was a Wednesday.

Our fans seem much more negative and moany these days. Its not Keep Believing or No Surrender, it's we're doomed at any kind of setback.

Maybe it's covid and other shite outside us that's made people more brattish.
I think spending the best part of a decade with nothing probably has something to do with it. Also the fact that we started this season defending our title as overwhelming favourites and are looking like we're surrendering it without a real fight.

Long way to go of course.

Our fans seem much more negative and moany these days. Its not Keep Believing or No Surrender, it's we're doomed at any kind of setback.

Or the fact we have players literally saying they can't handle pressure.

I’d genuinely forgotten how close we got to putting ourselves too far behind in this one.

Lots of the older guard will remember that 1 we didnt win at easter road, when Boyd / Novo had the ball over the line and Eddie Smith and his linesman (trying to find proof of the linesmans name) didnt give it. Possibly the angriest ive seen people on here that night.

Champions

Full season summary
Martin Cryans was the lino.

Champions

Full season summary
Great post.
Our fans have forgotten what league football is.

I've never seen such a defeatist attitude. We've had people handing them the league weeks ago.

It's been 10 years since this happened. Maybe a few posters have "come of age" and this is their first fight?

It's not a distraction it's a necessity and a reward for being successful.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Europe. Perform like we have against St Johnstone & the sheep and we will be out on our arse in the next round.

Love the optimism but we need two things to happen,we need to find our best form again and that lot need to lose theirs,don’t see any of them happening I afraid to say and Gio isn’t in the same status as Walter was in 2008

Too many folk bought into the jibes about their manager and had the league won after they dropped points on the opening weekend to hearts. I think that’s partly why they’re lashing out.

Great post.
Our fans have forgotten what league football is.

I've never seen such a defeatist attitude. We've had people handing them the league weeks ago.

It's been 10 years since this happened. Maybe a few posters have "come of age" and this is their first fight?

Other than a few drama queens I've seen no-one saying the league is over. However not taking in to account or just ignoring the 9 point swing in the space of 4 weeks, and the fact we are scraping our way through games at the moment, is just burying your head in the sand.

We also need to win against Dundee in the Cup or they have a chance at a treble with a rookie manager in his first season.

Nah. Even when we were miles behind in season we lost the league, even under Murty, we had a strong "whit about No Surrender!?" crew on here. They still exist, make no mistake.

Nah. Even when we were miles behind in season we lost the league, even under Murty, we had a strong "whit about No Surrender!?" crew on here. They still exist, make no mistake.

That’s a great point.

When they came to Ibrox in March 2018 we were 6 points behind. They had a game in hand and we were telling ourselves beat them at Ibrox and it’s game on!

That’s a great point.

When they came to Ibrox in March 2018 we were 6 points behind. They had a game in hand and we were telling ourselves beat them at Ibrox and it’s game on!
And if you didn't get on board you were a celtc fan of course.

And if you didn't get on board you were a celtc fan of course.

I probably misinterpreted your point.

You’re very much on board with the doom and gloom then?

My point was, even in situations far grimmer than this one - and believe it or not, there have been many for Rangers - we always clung to belief

There was little chance of winning the title in March 2018 but still most of us, perhaps starved of success, wanted to believe it was “on”.

The situation is completely different here. Whilst acknowledging Celtic are strong favourites, no one can say we’re not very much in the title race

Just more younger lads IMO.

A large percentage of the guys on here would have been at primary school in 2009.

Can't believe some people are blaming the fans.

There is a massive difference between losing one off games in a title race and surrendering a huge points swing in cowardly fashion.

We aren't at the stage yet where we're getting to finals etc never mind winning things regularly.

Malmö, Hibs and that point swing have been an embarrassment, as long as it doesn’t turn into abuse the fans have a right to criticise this team.

Champions

Full season summary
Agreed, but do you qualify as the "older guard" if you can remember the 08-09 season? I'm 30!o_O

Champions

Full season summary
Bravo sir!
During a very poor period where the only team to take anything from us us by actually playing better was them over 45 minutes, almost every mistake has resulted in goals against, we’ve created 100’s of goal scoring opportunities and nothing has fallen for us, on Saturday that changed with Roofes goal.

We are still very much in a title race, still in a domestic cup and the last 16 of the Europa league with a real chance to progress to the semis.

It’s still in our hands to win. This could prove to be one of our greatest seasons in modern times. Gio and this team know exactly what’s required and players like Tav, Scotty Arfield, big Bassey and Buff don’t just roll over.

I’ve done my fair share of negative ranting and raving on here over the past 2 months and it hasn’t changed a thing, I’m going full head in the sand optimistic looney now, keep believing Bears!

P.S. It’s against the law to bookmark this post :cool:

That season was neck and neck with them though. This season we had a 6-point lead, that should and could have been 10 had we properly took advantage instead of stuttering. We currently find ourselves 3 behind.

That's where there's a lot of frustation this season for me.

We also had Walter in charge and a group of players that would run through brick walls. This squad with Gio? I'm not so sure unfortunately.

More than happy to be proven wrong of course.

Left the ICT game thinking we had blown it.

Watched the Hibs game in the Old Schoolhouse on Woodlands Road. Atmosphere was mental and people were nearly boxing!

European football at this stage of season isnt a distraction it's an achievement
From a prestige/reputation perspective I agree but if you’re looking solely at the actual football, it’s s distraction that we could probably do without

Do I wish we got put out? Absolutely not a chance. Do I think we’d have had a better chance in the league without an additional 2 games? Yes I do

Success to progression; progression leads to more games

Does anyone really, hand on heart, believe that our last 9 league games are going to see us pick up 8 wins and a draw? Sure it is theoretically possible. But nobody who has watched us for the last 2 months can really believe that this team is suddenly going to click into gear and rattle off a long run of wins. We have dropped umpteen points, are not playing well, look shorn of confidence and are playing tight and nervous.

Apart from anything else, you can bet that we are going to see plenty of Kevin Clancy and the like over the next 8 games.

We are bang up against it unfortunately.

We also had Walter and a squad who didn’t have a consistent track record of bed-shiting.

Reactions: VGM
A lot of fans either have never experienced or have forgotten what a title race feels like.

Yes we have made it difficult for ourselves but it’s 3 points and it can all change in one match.

If Celtic go and win all their games from now then fair play, they will have been on an insane run. But there is likely to be more ups and downs to come - people need to buckle up. This is what it is all about.

People need to remember what happened to our great club and where we were even 4 years ago.

Back