March 2009. Didnt win a game. Blew 2-0 lead at home. 3 points behind. Went 8-1-0 to win it.

Rangers hadnt won a trophy in 06 in 07 and won a couple of cups in 08 after being robbed / cheated out the league.

Not winning this 09 league title handing them a 4th in a row was viewed as catastrophe even having murdered them by 4 at Parkhead already in the season.

We won the title

We went straight to the Champions League

Other than a few drama queens I've seen no-one saying the league is over. However not taking in to account or just ignoring the 9 point swing in the space of 4 weeks, and the fact we are scraping our way through games at the moment, is just burying your head in the sand.
I'm guessing you don't hang around the match threads much?

Before the game starts 50% have given up.

When we blew a 2 nil lead to hearts I’m sure the next day they drew with Dundee Utd ( or lost). We then went. on a great run league and cup. We also had the huge upset with Ferguson and mcgregor getting suspended (by the club) to contend with. Ferguson may not have been the player he was that season but he was our star player.
Great management and bravery from smith to actually drop they two completely. Smith will rightly be remembered for many,many things but I will always admire how he handled that.

Last edited:
Its like a millstone round our neck to some posters, playing European football into March with a decent chance of going through is an exceptional achievement.
Loads of income for the club with prize money and gate money.
A win win.
We beat Red Star and we are 2 ties from a major European final.
Would love to win the league but Euro finals are few and far between...2 in my lifetime

Our fans seem much more negative and moany these days. Its not Keep Believing or No Surrender, it's we're doomed at any kind of setback.

Maybe it's covid and other shite outside us that's made people more brattish.
No, we’ve always been like that, not sure of your age but in 1994 we were going mental at smith when we hit knocked out of 2 cups and lost to Celtic in a week, we were talking about us as fans wanting smith to leave and we were seriously unhappy. In the middle of 9 in a row.

We are and always have been a demanding support, which is why I could never understand the leeway McCoist was allowed as manager, plg was gone in months, so many other examples of our demanding moany and negative support.

And we have been rotten for most of GVB domestic games whether we have won lost or drawn. I hope we never change

Its like a millstone round our neck to some posters, playing European football into March with a decent chance of going through is an exceptional achievement.
Again, that’s not the point I’m making

I’m not disputing its an exceptional achievement but fitting in 2 additional games + the travel ultimately does have an impact. Obviously I hope we keep progressing but it will have an impact

I just don’t believe we’ve got the characters to really fight for it. If we had we would have held onto our lead imo.

Can we stop comparing past leagues and past players to current leagues / players.

Its pretty monotonous and boring in all honesty.
And managing the richest club in the country, inheriting lets face it, good players and spending £30m against other clubs spending, pretty much nothing.
Make your mind up.

Wasnt aware that pointing out a situation that was almost identical to the one we currently find ourselves in, was boring and monotonous.

Incase you missed it, the SPL match schedule and stress points in a season have been identical for 20 years.

Its a scenario that repeats if both Rangers and Celtic win the vast majority of their games.

Its not happened for 11 years and this example is 13.

Even if they only take 1 point from the two Old Firms, they are still the favourites. Would you bet on them dropping more points than us in the other 6 matches?

We had Walter there though.

I just think he had almost a superhuman strength to get players to bounce back after a poor result and run through brick walls for him.

I'm not saying GVB doesn't, too early to tell. I just know I was more confident in that season than I am in this one. Maybe due to the fact that we clawed back a substantial gap.
There would have been posters here calling for the axe no doubt.

fact of life unfortunately. Nutjobs are everywhere.

need to just be louder and tell them they are crackpots and not let them destroy the narrative with negativity.

Even if they only take 1 point from the two Old Firms, they are still the favourites. Would you bet on them dropping more points than us in the other 6 matches?
Doing sasa's name a disservice by being a shitebag. Rangers win every game we win the league. In our hands.

I probably misinterpreted your point.

You’re very much on board with the doom and gloom then?

My point was, even in situations far grimmer than this one - and believe it or not, there have been many for Rangers - we always clung to belief

There was little chance of winning the title in March 2018 but still most of us, perhaps starved of success, wanted to believe it was “on”.

The situation is completely different here. Whilst acknowledging Celtic are strong favourites, no one can say we’re not very much in the title race
Yeah. My point was that people's capacity to willfully ignore what they are seeing and say everything will be fine because "WATP" is high. Hence people going mental when it was suggested that Murty probably wasn't going to win us the league.

We could always rally when our backs were the wall with Walter. His leadership was 2nd to none.

Leaving aside whatever his other managerial qualities are I don't get the same feeling with GVB.

I think much of the frustrations coming from the support are down to how much is riding on this league title. Never before have we been on the brink of banking such a massive sum of money and it takes on greater significance knowing that we’ve come off the back of a 10 year rebuild starting at the bottom tier of Scottish football, whilst they have had it financially comfortable in comparison and benefited from some big player sales.

Many feel like this could be the difference in whether we kick on and win more trophies, or spend another few seasons playing catch up. I personally don’t think there is any need for panic if we don’t get the automatic CL, as money doesn’t guarantee you success (although it certainly helps). However, I find this title race really does have an extra edge to it. They all had an edge back in the day, but both last season and this season just seem to have a little extra.

Not really adding anything to the thread, other than I detest that fat mumbling Aussie lady's front bottom.

Back