Marseille, Monaco or Rennes - Possible CL Q3 opponents

They are still listed but who knows what’s going to happen there.
Kyiv have been playing lots of friendlies, despite the league being shut down. Right now, you’d expect them to play but obviously who knows what the war situation will be in Ukraine by the time the qualifiers come around

History suggests the critical factor in whether Rangers can qualify for the CL group stage is not the calibre of the opposition, but Rangers’ own preparedness.

The coaching team will be settled. But which players will have left, and who will have joined? And how good a pre-season will the new squad have had, and how many full pace games will they have played?
A sensible post

Given the draw for Q3nc is made before Q2nc is completed does that mean that if Kiev fail to take part, or are knocked out by Fenerbahce or the Cypriot team, then the latter take Kiev's place as seeds in Q3nc? I think that's how it would work.
Say Dynamo Kiev/Fenerbahce for the QR3 draw

Fenerbache would in the 'seeded' part of the draw

If Dynamo Kiev fail to take part before the draw then they should rebalance the draw if draw is already done then what you say is correct

Of course they are mate ,no doubt about that

but I thought it was teams from that list we could draw ,I didn't see Portugal on there
My understanding is that our opponents will be Union Saint-Gilloise (Belgium), Sturm Graz (Austria), Monaco (France) or the winner of Midtjylland (Denmark) versus Fenerbahce (Turkey)/Cypriot team yet to be decided depending on which they draw in Q2nc.

History suggests the critical factor in whether Rangers can qualify for the CL group stage is not the calibre of the opposition, but Rangers’ own preparedness.

The coaching team will be settled. But which players will have left, and who will have joined? And how good a pre-season will the new squad have had, and how many full pace games will they have played?
Fair point but the transfer window is open until the end of August and much of the existing squad will still be Rangers players during the qualifiers

My understanding is that our opponents will be Union Saint-Gilloise (Belgium), Sturm Graz (Austria), Monaco (France) or the winner of Midtjylland (Denmark) versus Fenerbahce (Turkey)/Cypriot team yet to be decided depending on which they draw in Q2nc.
Cheers mate

All of those are tricky but well doable

Good think I reckon. The existing squad will have a point to prove and know each other's game inside out.
I hope most of the players who will be leaving will be away by the start of August.
We need to get the changes done, and prepare for another massive season.

A good thing or a bad thing?
Given there are likely to be bids for the likes of Aribo, Bassey, Morelos, Kent in August, it's probably a good thing we are likely to still have them for the qualifiers. Obviously a bad thing that we will be without the services of some thereafter

Cypriot league just finished earlier, AEK Larnaca confirmed as runners up.

Confirmed teams we can face in QR3;

Monaco
Winner of tie involving Midtjylland vs Fenerbahce or AEK Larnaca (draw made on 15th June)
Sturm Graz
Union Saint-Gilloise
Avoid Monaco and AEK if possible

The only team I'd be worried about over two legs is Benfica, and we can't draw them.

With a solid pre season and a good transfer window, we should be taking care of this.

The only team I'd be worried about over two legs is Benfica, and we can't draw them.

With a solid pre season and a good transfer window, we should be taking care of this.
Never an easy game in Europe but we have to be better prepared and focused than last summer our pre season and transfer business overall was woeful.

Earlier preparation is key and getting our transfer business done as quickly as possible.

Last season showed how key a good preseason is. We had an absolute mess of a preseason due to the euros, cooa America and just all round poor planning. Come that malmo game we were lucky if we were half fit.

Everything you say is spot on. If Rangers can get everyone back day 1 of preseason, get friendlies sorted so we have a proper run against decent opponents and the key 1 is obviously selling and buying the players as quickly as possible so the team is up an running for that first qualifier.

What Rangers can't do is barely invest in new players and keep players who are wanting to leave, until the qualifiers are over. In the hope they see us through to the champions league, before selling and buying players.

Celtic did this for years and it very rarely worked and cost them millions in champions league money. We can't afford to repeat their failure, when Celtic are guaranteed that money now. What was it 4 years of nit making it by waiting until qualifiers to strengthen.

Never an easy game in Europe but we have to be better prepared and focused than last summer our pre season and transfer business overall was woeful.

Earlier preparation is key and getting our transfer business done as quickly as possible.

I'd hope that the squad learnt their lesson and come back prepared this time.

Also no international tournaments to disrup things this summer

I'd hope that the squad learnt their lesson and come back prepared this time.

Also no international tournaments to disrup things this summer
The pre season plans and budget should be well in place in the coming weeks especially with who GVB will want to move on.

I just hope we have the players lined up and the funds to overhaul and improve the squad.

Malmo was a freak

Scandinavian sides are never anything to fear

Give us anyone, we’ll sail through these qualifiers. We’ve beaten far better teams recently

The pre season plans and budget should be well in place in the coming weeks especially with who GVB will want to move on.

I just hope we have the players lined up and the funds to overhaul and improve the squad.

We couldn't get a training camp last year either thanks to sturgeon being a twat.

Should be much better prepared

Plus we have a manager who wants to be here and is just getting started

Malmo was a freak

Scandinavian sides are never anything to fear

Give us anyone, we’ll sail through these qualifiers. We’ve beaten far better teams recently
How’s our record against Swedish teams?
Pretty crap, thankfully it’s good against Danes my only concern in the qualifying is what players we can get onto the pitch.
This year I think the preparation will be good it’s just the condition of the players , mentally as much as anything.

Look at the start we had to the European campaign , from champ qualifiers to start of Europa . We were poor .
Agree mate
But a new manager with new ideas and tactics saw great improvement and hopefully he will have more prepared and ready this season

I doubt any of these teams will be near the level of Frankfurt, also because they all have a history of losing their best players in the summer.

Problem is we may be weaker too by the time these games come round.

I doubt GVB will get much of a break this summer

Back