Memories of Gabriel Amato

Talented guy, never suited to Scottish football. Especially in an era where we could spend millions on a player and if he didn't work out, there were always the other guys we had spent millions on in the squad or the guys we were going to spend millions on to bring in.

Cooper
Gascoigne
Mols (before his injury)
Amato
Laudrup

In terms of skill, the most highly talented and obviously hypothetical forward line I have seen in my time as a Rangers fan.

You'd have needed McCoist and Hateley in there of course to produce the goals and the muscle.

Amato was simply a sublimely talented footballer.

His turn on Mjalby or Stubbs on the touchline in the 1999 SC final was majestic bordering on the ridiculous. .I'm surprised that wee clip hasn't turned up yet.

An talented player who we should have seen more of - bloody injuries.

Didn't need pace, he had the quick feet, trickery, great touch, vision and was physically strong.

Outside of the left boot, a flick with the right or an absolute power driver. He was comfortable with both feet and he was a real threat in the air - which you wouldn't think from looking at him.

He loved playing for Rangers, he gave his all and he played with a smile on his face.

Wasn't prolific but scored some big goals too.

I liked him. But he was nowhere near VFM in terms of what he gave us over 18 months.

I liked him. But he was nowhere near VFM in terms of what he gave us over 18 months.

We nearly got our money back on him. Which certainly wouldn't happen these days.

Was it not the sale of Rafael Sheidt to the bheggars that allowed Gremiô to sign Amato?

Reactions: SDF
He could also read minds. He was doing "The McGeady turn" at least a season prior to the gay lord trying it

My memory of Gabriel Amato is of when welcoming the team back to Ibrox after League Cup win he took time out to get pictures taken with young child when others had rushed past Good player Good person

We nearly got our money back on him. Which certainly wouldn't happen these days.

Was it not the sale of Rafael Sheidt to the bheggars that allowed Gremiô to sign Amato?

I never even clocked that, but you're spot on!

I think we took a £1m hit on him. He was a talented player but in terms of what we got out of him he was never £4.2m worth to us.

I cant think of anything negative to say about him , what an entertainer and a joy to watch , delighted to have seen him playing for us.

I fire my love into the hearts of the Rangers support.....or somehting along those lines when asked about the celebration....loved him

Incredibly skilful, a box of tricks with fantastic ball control. And a really likeable guy too, I don’t know how anyone could dislike him.

He was usually guaranteed to get at least one big cheer out the crowd per game because he always did some flick or trick that would bamboozle defenders and get the fans on their feet.

He could nutmeg a mermaid in a phone box twice.
As soon as I hear his name I think of the shelbourne game

I loved the guy! Slow as Salenko but so skillful and score some terrific goals, especially against the mhanks.

What a talent - a really top quality player with more skill & ability than most can only dream about
I've no idea what caused wee dick to ditch him -
Although he wasn't always a '90 minute' player he could be a match winner at any time
I was well gutted when he went - but so was he if I understand correctly
Thanks for the memories Gabi

Great player. Some brilliant skills and goals.

Why did he leave, did he fall out of favour? And who did he leave us for?

Great player. Some brilliant skills and goals.

Why did he leave, did he fall out of favour? And who did he leave us for?
Wee Dick brought him in & fell out with him almost immediately iirc, but unsure as to why. He was 1 of my favourite players of that time. Fantstic player & what he could do was worth the admission alone. Someone else has said he went to Gremio after leaving us.

I can mind having a "discussion" on an older iteration of the board with someone who was trying to rubbish my assertion that if he had genuine pace he would never have played for us. Even then, with money to burn, I still think that's true. He'd have been at a Milan, Juve, or 1 of the Madrids.

THAT celebration

BOfVHUDCQAE1luj.jpg
Every time. Great player.

Back