Memories of the old Hampden 'schoolboys' enclosure

MrStruth

I take it this section of the ground (in front of the Main stand) was reserved solely for schoolboys?
I vaguely remember schools getting a number of tickets for certain matches, one in particular was the Queen's silver jubilee Scotland match 1977 which was on the radio and all you could hear throughout the game was kids all singing Rangers songs :D

Another thing noticeable was the lack of females in the section. Were schoolgirls excluded ?
I remember when I used to go to Ibrox before the stadium redevelopment and the Enclosure often had a chalkboard sign up above the turnstiles saying FATHER & SON gate.
The PC mob today would have had a field day back then :p

Can remember slipping stewards ten Bob to get in there for home international vs England in 1974. Amazing atmosphere Proper hampering roar from around 100,000 fans the sound stayed with me for days after

I remember a group of us getting tickets via our school, and sharing a bus with another couple of schools. I think it was about 1978/79 ish, and we played England. The schoolboys enclosure was a couple of feet below the pitch level.

We were right by the corner flag - and I clearly remember us giving squeaky-voiced abuse to Terry Butcher taking a couple of corners

I couldn't get a ticket for the 1994 cup final against Dundee Utd and decided to get to Hampden early to see if any tickets were on the go. I saw a few guys with orange bibs on who looked like stewards and got talking. Turns out their mate worked for the company who supplied some of the stewards and gave them jobs for the day to get into the game. They gave me a spare bib and took me into the ground and told me to just look like I was checking things until the gates opened and the fans were let in. It was in the old boys enclosure which was now used for disabled and blind people and their helpers. I had about half an hour on my own as the gates hadn't opened yet so was panicking that I was going to be rumbled and chucked out but once folk started coming in I ditched the bib and picked my spot right behind the Rangers dugout. A wee while into the game I recognised the guy standing next to me, it was Alistair Alexander the commentator. Then people came in with boxes of filled rolls to hand out to anybody who wanted one, best spot ever at a game. It was too good to be true though as the game was a disaster.

Was in there for the 69 Scottish Cup Final debacle and the 1-1 Final in 71.
Made the step up to the Mount Florida end for the replay and went on to
have some fantastic times in there over the years :)

Used to go there for all the games. Remember Gordon McQeen walking around the pitch with blood pouring from his knee when he got injured just before the 1978 World Cup

I am sure I was in there as very young lad in the early eighties. Might have been against Forfar or someone like that. Tried googling fixture from that era but couldn't come up with anything

Was never in it mind my dad saying he might be able to get me and my cousins tickets for the SCF v Hearts 75/76, luckily we ended up in the Rangers end seeing my first treble, great memories.

yes I was there once for a Scotland game in the late 60s.i think it was against West Germany.some wee Bassa peed down my leg.always went to the Rangers end or North Enclosure after that as although busy it was slightly more spacious

First time I was in there was the Scotland v Czechoslovakia game when we qualified for the 74 World cup.

was in the schoolboys enclosure for scf against st mirren in 1962.
our science teacher at john st school was a qp official, mr mclaughlan.

I take it this section of the ground (in front of the Main stand) was reserved solely for schoolboys?
I vaguely remember schools getting a number of tickets for certain matches, one in particular was the Queen's silver jubilee Scotland match 1977 which was on the radio and all you could hear throughout the game was kids all singing Rangers songs :D

I was in the Rangers end for the Queens Jubilee game in 1977. Sure it was a Glasgow Select v English League Select as opposed to Scotland v England. Anyway the Tim’s got booted out of the Rangers end when they started singing their shite :D Game was played on a midweek afternoon.

This game was played at Hampden on May 17th 1977 - a Tuesday - but with a 3pm kick-off.

The Glasgow FA team was: Rough (Partick), McGrain (Celtic), Whittaker (Partick), Jardine (Rangers), McDonald (Celtic), Forsyth (Rangers), McLean (Rangers) - sub McNaughton (Queen's Park), Dalglish (Celtic), Craig (Celtic), MacDonald (Rangers), Johnstone (Rangers) - sub Somner (Partick)

Football League side was: Corrigan (Man City), Clements (Man City), Peach (Southampton), Stanley (Chelsea), Watson (Man City), Wilkins (Chelsea), Francis (Birmingham), Channon (Southampton), Royle (Man City), -sub Barnes (Man City), Owen (Man City), Tueart (Man City)

The reason for the preponderance of Man City players was that they had completed their league programme and many other English sides hadn't. Players from Liverpool and Man Utd couldn't be considered anyway as these clubs still had to play in the FA Cup Final and Liverpool also had the European Cup Final coming up.

By contrast the Scottish domestic season was over. In any case Man City were a strong side at the time and had finished runners-up to Liverpool by just one point.

Dennis Tueart put the FL ahead in the first half. Sandy Jardine equalised from the spot after the break and Kenny Dalglish scored to make the final result 2-1 for the home team. The attendance was 28,380.

Last edited:
Was there when England beat us 1-0 in 1982. Paul Mariner scored for them. There was one england fan there waving a St George's flag. He took dogs abuse the whole game.

My PE teacher came into the gym one afternoon and says I,ve got one ticket for the school boys enclosure for the Scottish cup final is anybody interested . For a few seconds theres total silence then somebody says " Are you fu(kin kidding" at that the PE teacher turns and heads for the door saying "I had to ask". . It was the 1972 final beggars v Hivs

1966, Scottish Cup Final 126000 v Tims.

Score 0:0. King Kai scores the winner in the replay. Bright sunny day. My first time at Hampden - the colour of the occasion caught my fancy. What a spectacle!

1970 league cup final when big DJ scored was there as part of local secondary schools day out and was standing next to my neighbour who was at his one and only Cltic game because tickets were free and he has never been back at a game since tho to see him you would think he was their biggest supporter. I’m talking full kit wan*+r and he is 61

I was in the Rangers end for the Queens Jubilee game in 1977. Sure it was a Glasgow Select v English League Select as opposed to Scotland v England. Anyway the Tim’s got booted out of the Rangers end when they started singing their shite :D Game was played on a midweek afternoon.

This game was played at Hampden on May 17th 1977 - a Tuesday - but with a 3pm kick-off.

The Glasgow FA team was: Rough (Partick), McGrain (Celtic), Whittaker (Partick), Jardine (Rangers), McDonald (Celtic), Forsyth (Rangers), McLean (Rangers) - sub McNaughton (Queen's Park), Dalglish (Celtic), Craig (Celtic), MacDonald (Rangers), Johnstone (Rangers) - sub Somner (Partick)

Football League side was: Corrigan (Man City), Clements (Man City), Peach (Southampton), Stanley (Chelsea), Watson (Man City), Wilkins (Chelsea), Francis (Birmingham), Channon (Southampton), Royle (Man City), -sub Barnes (Man City), Owen (Man City), Tueart (Man City)

The reason for the preponderance of Man City players was that they had completed their league programme and many other English sides hadn't. Players from Liverpool and Man Utd couldn't be considered anyway as these clubs still had to play in the FA Cup Final and Liverpool also had the European Cup Final coming up.

By contrast the Scottish domestic season was over. In any case Man City were a strong side at the time and had finished runners-up to Liverpool by just one point.

Dennis Tueart put the FL ahead in the first half. Sandy Jardine equalised from the spot after the break and Kenny Dalglish scored to make the final result 2-1 for the home team. The attendance was 28,380.
Yeah you are spot on, I think was played in the afternoon. I just remember thinking how surreal it was hearing all the Rangers songs when it wasn't actually a Rangers game

I was in the Rangers end for the Queens Jubilee game in 1977. Sure it was a Glasgow Select v English League Select as opposed to Scotland v England. Anyway the Tim’s got booted out of the Rangers end when they started singing their shite. Game was played on a midweek afternoon.

Marred by party songs.
All you could hear on the radio was the Bears :D

Fantastic... :D:D:D

Back in late 50,s we used to get free tickets as they shut our school early (Mont Florida Primary) as some international games were played afternoons in mid-week and remember Ian St John being an incredible Spitter. Also climbing into Hampden in "Pea-Souper" foggy nights when the groundsman couldn't see us scoring loads into the Celtic End Happy Happy Days

I am sure I was in there as very young lad in the early eighties. Might have been against Forfar or someone like that. Tried googling fixture from that era but couldn't come up with anything

3 April 1982 - Scottish Cup semi. We were poor that day, 0 - 0.

Skol cup final when we beat them 2-1
Had a parent and child ticket for me and my brother. Aged 16 and 14 we were then. Only tickets we could get.
Good old days. Durrant and Cooper with the goals.
Souness and Butcher came right over to us after the game. Loved big Terry back then.

My old man has spoken about this game in the past.

He was meant to be sitting his Modern Studies O Grade, or something like that, but never trapped and went to the game with his mates.

Hes got the same memories of the day as yourself regarding the fun and games up the Rangers end, with the songs getting belted out and the mentally challengeds chased.

My old man has spoken about this game in the past.

He was meant to be sitting his Modern Studies O Grade, or something like that, but never trapped and went to the game with his mates.

Hes got the same memories of the day as yourself regarding the fun and games up the Rangers end, with the songs getting belted out and the mentally challengeds chased.
I just remember hearing commentary from the game on radio with my older Brother and we were both p1ssing ourselves hearing the Bears all singing throughout the game :D

My own preferred choice of location at Hampden was in among the Bears where a dust would fill the air after each goal celebration :cool:

Loved it every time we scored And the dust would rise you would go forward 10 - 20 feet
And then you would hear it loud and proud with the hands clapping above our heads

THE BILLY BOYS

a sight that would make the hairs in the back of your neck stand

I loved being in the Derry in the old days

Wish the young team could see it they would see something they have never witnessed before

They would also get that feeling as we all did back then

Another thing noticeable was the lack of females in the section. Were schoolgirls excluded ?
I remember when I used to go to Ibrox before the stadium redevelopment and the Enclosure often had a chalkboard sign up above the turnstiles saying FATHER & SON gate.
Top photo bottom right

Blue jumper is that Dave king ????

Remember my mate and I going to the 1976 Scotland v England game at Hampden without tickets hoping somehow we could magic our way in.

Of course thousands of other had the same idea. After milling about outside the ground for ages unsuccessfully looking for a ticket we were just about to head home as the game had kicked off when a big Polis approached us with an interesting proposition.

Basically £5 a head to him would guarantee us entry to the ground, all we had to do was go along with his story..

£10 duly pocketed we followed big Polis up to an access gate of sorts where he told the gate guy some shite about us being in the medical area and were to be allowed back into the ground..

In we went no questions asked and ended up in the Schoolboys Enclosure...happy days especially for the Polis.

Remember my mate and I going to the 1976 Scotland v England game at Hampden without tickets hoping somehow we could magic our way in.

Of course thousands of other had the same idea. After milling about outside the ground for ages unsuccessfully looking for a ticket we were just about to head home as the game had kicked off when a big Polis approached us with an interesting proposition.

Basically £5 a head to him would guarantee us entry to the ground, all we had to do was go along with his story..

£10 duly pocketed we followed big Polis up to an access gate of sorts where he told the gate guy some shite about us being in the medical area and were to be allowed back into the ground..

In we went no questions asked and ended up in the Schoolboys Enclosure...happy days especially for the Polis.

Old school polis there mate.

No chance of that happening now.

I'm sure every high school 4th year team got 2 tickets for games.
I got 2 via school team for Scotland v England in the 70's

Was in there at SC final in 69 against the scum. My first OF game. We took a double decker with all the age teams from Whitburn Academy, so defo schoolboys enclosure. Was 12 at the time and remember being in tears at HT 3-0 down. :(

Watched the 1971&73 cup finals in there.

Scotland v England 1966, I always find it amazing how there doesn't even appear to be any stairways. The vast crowd over over 100,000 must have been something else :eek:

71 cup final replay for me plus the riot cup final and Scotland vEngland 1978.

Don't recall it being exclusively for school boys though?

I was never there when it was the schoolboy enclosure, but once it was seated I was there for the Laudrup cup final.

Back