Michael Beale has a huge issue with coaching midfielders

After near enough 5 years of watching our midfields with Beale at the club I think I can safely say that the man has a huge flaw in how he wants his teams to set up.

The issue for me is that he effectively wants all his midfielders to play as "water carriers" - Dropping into defence to pick up the ball, covering fullbacks, recycling the ball and keeping shape etc - the type of role Glen Kamara excelled in for us is basically what he's asking of players who just aren't suited to it and it's honestly setting us back more than anything else going on with the team right now.

Even during our title winning season our midfield simply was not ever a creative force.

Gio actually tried to change things when he was here and never had the tools for it because the guys who were here before were never coached to play that way.

Now we have players who are capable of being that - guys like Nico Raskin, Cantwell and possibly even Cifuentes - they want to be playing on the front foot as much as possible like we saw from them when they first arrived. These guys are capable of stamping their authority on the game, driving us forward, winning duels and being creative & they simply aren't allowed to by Beale.

During Gerrard's time in charge a lot of the complaints were the same about our midfield. I remember people wanting us to go out and spend major money on that area of the park, but imo the issue has never been about personnel - this is exactly what Veerman would have been asked to do if we actually managed to get him too.

Michael Beale's time has to be up. The man needs to learn how to coach a functioning midfield if he ever wants to have a future in the game at a decent level IMO.
Yeah for most of those 5 years yeh manager was one of the greatest midfielders of his generation so I do t think Beale had or has an issue there.

Beale has issues with coaching our whole team …especially that defence . Its atrocious honest . Breaks my heart .
You can’t coach that defence.

It’s made up largely of the same folk who have brain farts weekly and for years.

It’s not a defensive unit, it’s qty2 wing backs, both now slower, 1 CB who has always been a 6/10 and someone else.

That’s been the last half decade plus of our lives.

I thought that Glen Kamara and Ryan Jack were pretty magic during a lot of the Gerrard era.

The Midfield went down the pan as Jack got more injuries and we tried to jam Lundstram in

After near enough 5 years of watching our midfields with Beale at the club I think I can safely say that the man has a huge flaw in how he wants his teams to set up.

The issue for me is that he effectively wants all his midfielders to play as "water carriers" - Dropping into defence to pick up the ball, covering fullbacks, recycling the ball and keeping shape etc - the type of role Glen Kamara excelled in for us is basically what he's asking of players who just aren't suited to it and it's honestly setting us back more than anything else going on with the team right now.

Even during our title winning season our midfield simply was not ever a creative force.

Gio actually tried to change things when he was here and never had the tools for it because the guys who were here before were never coached to play that way.

Now we have players who are capable of being that - guys like Nico Raskin, Cantwell and possibly even Cifuentes - they want to be playing on the front foot as much as possible like we saw from them when they first arrived. These guys are capable of stamping their authority on the game, driving us forward, winning duels and being creative & they simply aren't allowed to by Beale.

During Gerrard's time in charge a lot of the complaints were the same about our midfield. I remember people wanting us to go out and spend major money on that area of the park, but imo the issue has never been about personnel - this is exactly what Veerman would have been asked to do if we actually managed to get him too.

Michael Beale's time has to be up. The man needs to learn how to coach a functioning midfield if he ever wants to have a future in the game at a decent level IMO.
Geez peace ya crackpot.
Sitting coming out with this pish on a Saturday night, as if there's not been enough threads on it all week.
Get a life.

Beale technically doesn’t coach them, that would be Matthews. Beale takes the forwards and Banfield takes the defenders.

Stewart is GK’s and Watling is for set pieces.

However I think it’s more down to his instructions on how he wants them to play than how they’re coached.

It’s tactics. Again.

It’s all tactics.

We had a team that smashed the bead rattlers and ran them over in midfield only a few months ago - then took that team, changed our whole approach to fit in a suite of players that don’t work together and sacrificed the area we were strongest in.

Cantwell and raskin look shadows of themselves.

Cifu is being asked to play in a way that doesn’t fit him.

It’s %^*& all to do about coaching and a lot to do about dreadful management
Both his tactics and management skills are rightly under severe criticism.
However our players have been found lacking across the board and there is a strong whiff of denial around players who many thought on here were the answer whether they had just been in the door or were signed by Beale last season.

We've almost got ourselves into the ludicrous situation where we believe he can't coach or manage but he has a great eye for a player.

Hope you have sent him your pearls of wisdom.

Big bad John where has he gone I’d love to know he chased everything down.

Did he %^*&!!! He had about 6 weeks of good form. He could barely get in side prior to January that year. This is what you get with Lundstram. Average at his absolute best.

Beale was such an easy appointment to appease the fans after gvb, a glorified coach. Nothing more, and we are bearing witness to it now, pathetic, spent a fortune too, this is on them 100%.

And how do you know this? Do you work under Mourinhio or Ancelotti, a coach at monaco, maybe Arsenal? The amount of dross on here is Tim like

Last edited:
What has been really noticeable to me is Tav and Jack are really laboured when running. I've not seen either of them break in to a full on sprint. They've both lost a few yards of pace. I don't know if they are carrying an injury or if age has caught up with them.
Was same last few year tav in particular started really slowly.

There dew things here I think she yes she a little but more the injury he picked up that euro babe you still see videos and he's in pain with it too an extent.

There was story here that vaguely some of the players build up over the summer muscle as during the season they start to lose it week by week as playing more than training ..... theory is that it helps last the season

Rumours of his sacking are all the talk on Twitter.

Why can’t it be discussed on here? A bit OTT with all the locked/deleted threads ffs
Exactly. Over to twitter to find out the latest rumours, unfounded or otherwise, you'd think we could discuss it here.

His main flaw in coaching is defending. We have been making the same mistakes for the last number of years. A lot of that could be sorted by better coaching.

Not sure that’s too relevant. Bill Struth, our most successful manager, was a runner not a footballer when he was younger. He won 30 major titles including 18 league titles with Rangers.
This current side aren't winning league titles or major trophies though, and are unlikely to do so under this management team.

Not think it’s the players problem because that defence has shipped sloppy goals for years bar 55 season
The manager neglected the central defence problem . He thought Goldson , Souttar and Davies were good enough ..he was very much mistaken . They are gash . And dont get me started on our full-backs . Our whole defence is rank fkn rotten ..and thats on the manager .

Remember the current manager dropped Raskin and Cantwell in a cup final for Lundstrum??

OP is correct, Beale should have been chased that night. Doesn't have a clue and now we are suffering.

Why he hasn't been sacked on Monday is taking the piss tbh.
If you appoint a rookie manager you’ve got to expect some mistakes along the road. The same with Gerrard, Smith, Souness etc. I’m as unhappy at the current situation as most rangers supporters but people can’t understand simple basics. We appoint a new manager who’s probably managed less that 20 games before he arrived and some expect him to be a fully developed Pep Guardiola.

It’s tactics. Again.

It’s all tactics.

We had a team that smashed the bead rattlers and ran them over in midfield only a few months ago - then took that team, changed our whole approach to fit in a suite of players that don’t work together and sacrificed the area we were strongest in.

Cantwell and raskin look shadows of themselves.

Cifu is being asked to play in a way that doesn’t fit him.

It’s %^*& all to do about coaching and a lot to do about dreadful management
I keep seeing people mention this, but that Celtic team were on the beach. The title was won, they were on the verge of winning another treble against Inverness in a game in which they only needed to turn up to do.

That game meant absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Get to last Sunday and back to an OF game that means something and there you go, the outcome is a Celtic win.

If you appoint a rookie manager you’ve got to expect some mistakes along the road. The same with Gerrard, Smith, Souness etc. I’m as unhappy at the current situation as most rangers supporters but people can’t understand simple basics. We appoint a new manager who’s probably managed less that 20 games before he arrived and some expect him to be a fully developed Pep Guardiola.
This is more than mistakes. The tactics that he insists on has failed but he either doesn’t have the ability to change it or he is too arrogant to admit the failure.
Either way he will never have what it takes to manage our club hence the quicker he is away the better.
His interviews crying about silly defensive errors yet play with the same players/tactics costing us more points/games with more silly defensive errors tells you everything you need to know about this inept manager.
If the board hasn’t sacked him before the end of this small break then they have cost us the league this season, a new manager will drop the players needing dropped and get us competitive again.

Lundstram had been pretty decent leading up to the old firm game and he dropped him. Guarantee he's back next game ..danilo will start dessers will be benched ..lammers will start ..raskin will be benched and round and round we go...assuming mb is still here.

Raskin isn’t getting benched. Don’t talk pish.

The Sack Beale thread not taking any more comments so I thought I’d post on here. It looks like he is staying judging by harry watlings latest Instagram story, sorry it doesn’t allow mu to upload pic.

The Sack Beale thread not taking any more comments so I thought I’d post on here. It looks like he is staying judging by harry watlings latest Instagram story, sorry it doesn’t allow mu to upload pic.
People went nuts and started accusing others of being Declans, some attention seeking with I know something you don't kind of comments too.

Changing his pic to one of him at QPR and removing reference to Rangers Manager from his bio is really weird nonetheless.

I’m not going to join the pile on our manager as I think it’s all been said on this thread.

What I will say is since I was taken along and hooked and in love with Rangers from the late 70s onwards, never have I felt a disconnect I do now between the fans and management team.

His team set up, his tactics, his substitutions, his lack of urgency or drive, hands in pockets and constant sound bites to the media have sickened me to the point I can’t now even watch him being interviewed.

He should never have been appointed and will go down as one of the increasing list of failed “ project managers” we have tried in recent years.

Until we appoint a proper football manager this cycle will continue.

Thats why it was utter stupidity to appoint him in the first place.

Why sack GVB to then bring in an absolute rookie? With hindsight it was crazy and it's the second crazy managerial appointment this board have made (along with Pedro).

Could make a case they got extremely lucky with Gerrard as well though tbf he at least was an absolute icon.

Beale's problem is he can't pick a team. He drops on form players, picks his favourites and clearly just doesn't have a single clue what he is doing as manager. It's actually at the stage where it is utterly embarrassing we've given this guy a job as manager. Nothing else for it.

The fact he's still here just goes to show the footballing mentality our board have.

Back