Morelos domestic form

FC047-A73-2547-45-AF-99-FB-7-DCF6-C91-FA7-A.gif

I'd suggest the players around him are a bigger problem. He can only feed off of what he is being provided and domestically he is being given nothing to work with. I doubt any other striker would make a massive difference.

When playing in Europe the whole team are playing to a different level and as it's more open it works. Back in Scotland the manager makes no real changes up front. When he does and finds something that works he goes right back to what didn't work before the next game.

I am going to stick up for Alfie on this. He had a chance or two today and made the keeper work. This was despite being offered nothing by midfield or wingers etc.

That’s now 6 games without a goal domestically and not scored away since December 12th, he needs to up his game big time.

I’d still start him against the tims but if he fails to score in that game he needs dropped for roofe.
He’s been playing injured from what I understand so I’m giving him a break

His decision making at times leaves a lot to be desired.
The header he had at the back post today, there was no chance he was getting that past the keeper, he should have headed it square to Ramsey who was free in the middle.

I get that strikers want to score goals, but if your team mate has a better chance, pass the fūcking ball!

I'd suggest the players around him are a bigger problem. He can only feed off of what he is being provided and domestically he is being given nothing to work with. I doubt any other striker would make a massive difference.

When playing in Europe the whole team are playing to a different level and as it's more open it works. Back in Scotland the manager makes no real changes up front. When he does and finds something that works he goes right back to what didn't work before the next game.

I am going to stick up for Alfie on this. He had a chance or two today and made the keeper work. This was despite being offered nothing by midfield or wingers etc.
Good for you mate!

He’s not scored away in the league since the start of December mate it simply isn’t good enough if you ask me. Plays out his skin in Europe but it’s the business end of season and he isn’t scoring goals.
Yeah because Gio sets the team up horribly like today.

Roofe definitely makes an impact today and effectively had 2 assists but the whole team had changed including also playing Goldson as a forward!

He's not the only one that can't replicate European form in domestic games. It's most of them.

I did think he would have been rested today to be fair given he's clearly playing through injuries

Roofe definitely makes an impact today and effectively had 2 assists but the whole team had changed including also playing Goldson as a forward!

He's not the only one that can't replicate European form in domestic games. It's most of them.

I did think he would have been rested today to be fair given he's clearly playing through injuries
Usually can find at least one thing that is debatable.. but..

It happens every season with Morelos though, domestically he goes on long spells without scoring.

Would we like to start the c-ltic game with Alfie on the bench ....... ? Interested to know .
I certainly wouldn't ; Alfredo would start for me - and I'm a great admirer of Roofe .
I do think that Roofe should be getting more game time though .

That’s now 6 games without a goal domestically and not scored away since December 12th, he needs to up his game big time.

I’d still start him against the tims but if he fails to score in that game he needs dropped for roofe.
He had a poor night the other night but apart from that he’s been great in Europe. I’ve always thought he helps us get into the game v better teams particularly in Europe . You have to say though for all his other talents he’s neither quick nor clinical. I think that hurts us in terms of disposing of the SPL cloggers efficiently.

Both Kent and Alfie are really important to the way we play at our best but when we’re chasing a game in Scotland where the box is packed , I wouldn’t trust either of them to find us the vital goal. I think these games would be less fraught if Roofe was playing.

Bottom line is the front three need to score a lot more.

Last edited:
If he’s managing an injury, then he should reconsider the international call-up. But he won’t.

All we can hope is that it doesn’t worsen and rules him out. It would just be our luck, though…

Sadly for us he looks a totally different player in Europe than he does in the league

Some of the players seem a lot more motivated for European games than they do for league games.

In the last 6 domestic games Morelos has had several good goal scoring opportunities that he should have scored, best thing to do might be to rotate him with Roofe in the league.

Morelos has got a combined 18 league goals and assists - more than anyone else in the premier league this season (Tav has 17, Charles-Cook, Bruce Anderson and Abada 15).

Although he has gone a few games without scoring against packed defences, he's scored twice in 4 games against better European opposition that don't put 10 men behind the ball. Who are the only opposition in Scotland that DON'T pack the defence against us?

His hold up play in Europe has been out of this world and has been essential to take pressure off our defence when teams are putting our defence against teams that are throwing men forward. How well did it go in the last game against that mob without him?

My own personal belief is that if your centre-forward can physically impose themselves on the other mob's centre-halves, you will win more than your fair share of Old Firm Games. Without Alfie we can absolutely guarantee that we won't win the physical battle against their centre-halves.

I think it would be absolute madness not to play him if he is available.

However, I do agree that Roofe can certainly be a potential matchwinner for us, is most likely to create something from nothing or just sniff out some space in the box. I'm not sure if we have ever found a way to incorporate both of them, so it may have to be off the bench unless Gio has something up his sleeve.

I think Freddo is excellent and we need to give him sum support up front against these packed defences. The team against Dundee was set up wrong in my opinion, It was not attack minded as we saw in the first half.

Not dropped but a rest you nugget look at his goalscoring record

Morelos has got a combined 18 league goals and assists - more than anyone else in the premier league this season (Tav has 17, Charles-Cook, Bruce Anderson and Abada 15).

Although he has gone a few games without scoring against packed defences, he's scored twice in 4 games against better European opposition that don't put 10 men behind the ball. Who are the only opposition in Scotland that DON'T pack the defence against us?

His hold up play in Europe has been out of this world and has been essential to take pressure off our defence when teams are putting our defence against teams that are throwing men forward. How well did it go in the last game against that mob without him?

My own personal belief is that if your centre-forward can physically impose themselves on the other mob's centre-halves, you will win more than your fair share of Old Firm Games. Without Alfie we can absolutely guarantee that we won't win the physical battle against their centre-halves.

I think it would be absolute madness not to play him if he is available.

However, I do agree that Roofe can certainly be a potential matchwinner for us, is most likely to create something from nothing or just sniff out some space in the box. I'm not sure if we have ever found a way to incorporate both of them, so it may have to be off the bench unless Gio has something up his sleeve.
Morelos only has eleven goals in the league Tav has six in the league Regan Charles cook has thirteen.

In the last nine games in the league and Europe Morelos has scored only one goal which is not good enough for the main striker at Rangers.

Morelos was on fire there for around 7 or 8 games, last 2 games he has looked lost, hold up play has disappeared and his also his work rate, if that's down to injury then that's poor management from Gio.

Back