Morelos Finishing Is Not Good Enough

You don’t go from scoring a barrel load to his form for no reason. I’d like to remind everyone we’d be out on our arse in the Europa League had it not been for his goals in the group stages. Something is not right, his confidence has gone and he desperately needs a goal. He should have had two so far in the league this year remember. Whatever the problem is I hope it’s sorted soon, we can be pissed off when he misses chances, but he could do with our support. His was not the only opportunity to score more today. Tav for one blasted a good opportunity over the bar!

Folk will still defend him

Truth is, his shooting is very much hit and miss and since the new year, it’s been atrocious.

He’s always missed big chances but I genuinely don’t get how his shooting at times looks so awkward

When he’s good he can be unplayable. There is no middle ground though, either good or rotten

I’d take any £15m offer for him in the summer in all honesty

His performances since the break have been woeful. Not the only one obviously but he doesn’t deserve his place in the team currently. Sell in the summer.

He has no finesse to his game whatsoever.

Look at how the St Johnstone player took their first goal, that’s all that he had to do when he was through in goal. But no he fucks it up as usual.

He needs a long spell on the sidelines. Disgrace after winter break.
The time is now right for this.....
He has NEVER possessed finnese...never!
He puts his head down and hopes for the best!...his priority at times seems to be to barge into a defender rather than winning the ball.....he has had a great spell in the SPL, I do hope it isn’t over, but he’s missed a few recently that should’ve been converted.
Needs a rest I think

His finishing isnt the issue. It's his mentality that should be questioned.

Morelos looks like a player who knows his time at the club is over. Its moved on from being about the club to being about him. Everything winds him up. His head goes down if things arent going his way.

He'll be gone this summer. Another season would potentially damage his value.
I think his value is already diminishing, unfortunately.

Alfredo is just not at the races in some of the games since the break his finishing is poor
Also ragdolling the defences has virtually disappeared.
If he is overweight ( not fully fit )he should not be on the pitch ( sports scientists do your job)
Also his mind could be pre -occupied with his wife's pregnancy.
I think he is fed up being referred stupidly and differently, also with the league almost gone he probably wish he had got his big move.
At the end of the day he is still the best striker we have

Morelos has rarely ever had finesse to his play imo. He’s more of an instinct player, having any time to think about what he’s doing more often than not as of late leads to a monumental %^*& up. He’s looked absolutely terrible lately.
He looks a bit heavier at the moment which will cost him a bit of pace and mobility .

There's nothing new in this. He's been missing sitters since he got here, most strikers do. He lacks composure, lashes at everything. some go in, most don't.
He will learn this. probably after he has left. he is what he is.
Raw, unpolished, impetuous. Needs to develop composure.

There’s never really been a moment to debate any of this properly until now.

Because you’re right, even when he was genuinely thrilling to watch last autumn he was still guilty of being too greedy and lacking composure and finesse. These were his flaws and they’re starkly evident now his form and confidence have gone.

Gerrard and his team are really going to have to work hard getting this boy’s pecker up again, because right now it’s almost heartbreaking watching him out there looking like a third rate journeyman striker.

His finishing isnt the issue. It's his mentality that should be questioned.

Morelos looks like a player who knows his time at the club is over. Its moved on from being about the club to being about him. Everything winds him up. His head goes down if things arent going his way.

He'll be gone this summer. Another season would potentially damage his value.

His value has halved since his self created extended Xmas holiday.

There's something wrong with Morelos, he doesn't look like the same player at all since the break.

The chance that Kamberi flicked through was a great chance on the first bounce but he didn't even try and hit it, never mind tuck it away.

Whatever he was worth and we can all put up any crazy figure we like , if he continues playing like he is till the end of the season we are not going to get near any of our crazy figures if he goes.,and remember many were even shouting to give him another rise in pay!

Might as well call it how it is - we’re over reliant on Morelos and his silly bookings/reds have cost us numerous times over the last few seasons.

However, if specifically talking about his football, he has cost us big time since the Christmas break; his missed chance vs Aberdeen, sitters vs Killie, misses vs Braga nearly cost us and then again today.

Needs dropped for a few weeks, time to give others a chance

If you think we were getting 30 million quid plus (plus!) for a player based on (primarily) performances over a five month spell in Europe and Scotland then I'd say that was mental, yes. The lack of serious bids along that evaluation tells you that every other club in the world thought that was mental as well.
Ok, so you're responsible for accepting or rejecting bids for players. At that point in time, what is acceptable to you? Early 20s full Colombian international, knocking on 30 goals before the halfway mark of the season, top goalscorer in the Europa league.
???

He looked like he couldn’t be bothered today, his attitude since the break has been as unacceptable as his form

Look at how the St Johnstone player took their first goal, that’s all that he had to do when he was through in goal. But no he fucks it up as usual.

He needs benched,and if he doesn’t react in the correct manner,drop him from the squad.
play Kamberi and Aribo through the middle.
I love Alfie but something is not right with him just now.

I know Arfield has scored a couple of long range goals recently but generally our shooting is appalling. No technique whatsoever. Lost count the shots blasted over the bar or wide. Scandalous.

Since the break Alfie looks a shadow of the player he was. His finishing was a massive part of why we didn't win today, but sadly he's not alone. We can blame the defence, but we had over 20 shots at goal. Finishing simply not good enough.

29 goals would suggest otherwise , he was poor today but I will be the StJohnstone defenders were delighted when he went off as part of another futile attempt at game management.

Last edited:
I think Morelos needs to be playing every week to keep his fitness up. This is the frustration with his frequent suspensions. He never comes back looking sharp.

I think on today’s showing, Kamberi has done enough to earn a start but he is definitely more effective coming in from the wing. Not sure how he would do leading the line.

Guess we will find out on Wednesday but he looks very sharp.

Ok, so you're responsible for accepting or rejecting bids for players. At that point in time, what is acceptable to you? Early 20s full Colombian international, knocking on 30 goals before the halfway mark of the season, top goalscorer in the Europa league.
???

If someone bid 30 million for Morelos at any point in the first half of the season I'd have accepted it, purely because he doesn't play as well in the second half of the season, they'd be signing a player based on a small sample size of six months and I don't think he's worth 30 million. That no one did bid that amount, or indeed, anything at all, tells us that pretty much every team in Europe/the world thinks similarly.

The way Morelos has performed after the winter break / off field issues is not good enough he is not the same player before the winter break.

I would suggest that morelos is off form right now. He had a decent game Thursday but today and much like a few games since after the break he’s been snatching at chances, taking too many touches when a shots easier to take or he isn’t drifting wide as much as he normally does.
He’s at his absolute best when he’s drifting wide, dragging the centre half with him and then roll him when the ball comes his way, he makes so many chances that way. Hold up play isn’t always brilliant but it can get him clear at times. His finishing is rough at times too and needs to develop the finesse and composure, keep a calm head.

he’s got a lot on his mind I would imagine, about to become a dad, his character besmirched at every opportunity, a biased media calling him for everything.
he might be a footballer, and a very good one at that but he’s also a human, and we all have a breaking point. Maybe he’s at his and his form is affected by it?

Hes honking just now. It might be an idea to take him out of the firing line because somethings not right.

I’ve seen finesse with his goal at pottodrie last season, but when things aren’t going well for him he just seems to put his foot through the ball and hope for the best.

He is overweight and off form. However he carried this team singlehanded for first half of the season now he is off form the others are being found out that’s the problem we were a poor team but had a 30m striker now we are a poor team with a 30k striker

He is part of the reason we did not win. Missed a great chance to go 3-1. Gerrard was livid.

He looks like the Morelos of last season. I'm one of a tiny minority who never got the hype. He had a great run of form at the start of the season, but he's peaked and now back to standard Morelos. What's made it worse is he knows his lucky run is over and his heads gone.

Can he recover? Absolutely. But the team seems to be toxic right now and the only chance he has is a few weeks out.

Can't believe how ungrateful some people are. I thought he played really well on Thursday despite not scoring. He's joint top scorer in Europa league, he always puts in a shift for us, his hold up play is brilliant. After all he's done I really don't get how people don't appreciate him.

It's definitely a confidence thing with Alfie. Before Xmas he scored at will and had managed to cut the daft bookings to a large extent.

Then the stupidity returned against Motherwell and Celtic, he had the stuff with the alleged car tampering and the racism stuff and it just looks like it's all got to him.

A happy Alfie scores goals. This is not a happy Alfie.

Ridiculous post about a player who has scored 29 goals this season.The boys form has dropped from his usual high standards.Yes he has his faults,nobody's perfect but overall he has been brilliant for us since he signed,now is the time for the fans to get behind him not abandon him .

He has a great record considering he often blooters the ball straight at the keeper and swipes at fresh air. How good would he be if a bit of polish and finesse were added to his game

He just looks annoyed and moody and seems to just hit the ball towards the goalkeeper. He just doesn’t seem to want to put any effort in finishing his shot to work the keeper.

He has carried us for half a season. He was always going to have a sticky spell - throw in the off-field stuff and the fact he is refereed to a different standard then it's hardly a surprise that he isn't performing. However his body language and general demeanour is not acceptable at present when you are leading a teams attack and it is bound to have an effect on those around him. He is like a spoiled kid that isn't getting his way.

Only thing we can do is hope that he comes back to form in the last quarter of the season so we can punt him out the door to the highest bidder.

Personally, I thought most of the squad overtrained during the winter break.

Morelos is the exception. I felt he undertrained and came back out-of-condition.

My hope is that he trains hard, gets back into shape, and gets back on form.

Only through hard work can he find a higher level once again.

PS:

I thought he played well against Braga during the week, but today was not his best match.

Last edited:
He obviously has talent,but ive always thought he gets very lucky sometimes. The amount of bad first touches that come off as the defender doesnt expect it is quite high.

Back