Morelos Sub?

Morelos would've been off the pitch the next time he got within 5 yards of a hearts player then he's suspended, it was the right call.

No it wasn’t, and given that his discipline has improved ten fold there’s nothing to suggest he’d have gone and gotten himself sent off.

All we did was remove our biggest threat and stick on a player who needs service, in a match where there was no service, and it all played out predictably with us looking even less threatening in the final 10 minutes.

No it wasn’t, and given that his discipline has improved ten fold there’s nothing to suggest he’d have gone and gotten himself sent off.

All we did was remove our biggest threat and stick on a player who needs service, in a match where there was no service, and it all played out predictably with us looking even less threatening in the final 10 minutes.
Couldn't agree more, Defoe is a penalty box player to put him up front on his own was madness

Morelos was booked for Columbia for arguing with the linesman but got himself under control and played the rest of the game, don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t have done the same today

We could've put Messi and Ronaldo on and we weren't scoring today, was more chance of Hearts scoring.

And how you can say for certain he wouldn't have walked for the next innocuous challenge with that rocket as the ref is baffling tbh.

We could've put Messi and Ronaldo on and we weren't scoring today, was more chance of Hearts scoring.

And how you can say for certain he wouldn't have walked for the next innocuous challenge with that rocket as the ref is baffling tbh.

Nothing is certain and I didn’t say it was. Baffling though? We’re nearing the end of October and that was his first yellow card in the SPL this season. I’m more baffled by your suggestion he was about to be sent off.

As for the first bit, I mean that’s bollocks. Logic says that in tight games with no service, a player who can create chances for himself is more likely grab a goal than one who requires service from his impotent team mates.

Kevin Clancy really has a grudge against Alfredo for some reason.

Would have took delight in giving him a second yellow the cheating bastard

Nothing is certain and I didn’t say it was. Baffling though? We’re nearing the end of October and that was his first yellow card in the SPL this season. I’m more baffled by your suggestion he was about to be sent off.

As for the first bit, I mean that’s bollocks. Logic says that in tight games with no service, a player who can create chances for himself is more likely grab a goal than one who requires service from his impotent team mates.

He had 80 minutes to do that mate he was as ineffective as the rest of them 2nd half.

His head was gone in my opinion and obviously the gaffers opinion.

Defoe also deserved the opportunity to get on the pitch on this seasons form and it's up to his team mates to create the chances, that's why Kent and Stewart were on the pitch as well.

He had 80 minutes to do that mate he was as ineffective as the rest of them 2nd half.

His head was gone in my opinion and obviously the gaffers opinion.

Defoe also deserved the opportunity to get on the pitch on this seasons form and it's up to his team mates to create the chances, that's why Kent and Stewart were on the pitch as well.

It didn’t happen for him, but the point I made is it’s a lot more likely to happen for him than t is for Defoe, who relies more on service from team mates, why is that hard to understand?

We weren’t at the races creatively and as expected Defoe’s introduction had zero impact other than for the hearts backline had a slightly more comfortable final 10 minutes.

It didn’t happen for him, but the point I made is it’s a lot more likely to happen for him than t is for Defoe, who relies more on service from team mates, why is that hard to understand?

We weren’t at the races creatively and as expected Defoe’s introduction had zero impact other than for the hearts backline had a slightly more comfortable final 10 minutes.

It's not hard to understand but it's easy to gauge your opinion it was the wrong call after the event, we'll never know what would've happened.

You'd be saying nothing if Defoe scored the winner.

My opinion is it would've still finished 1 each with a possible red card for Morelos and it means as much as yours view on it absolutely feck all because we'll never know.

It's not hard to understand but it's easy to gauge your opinion it was the wrong call after the event, we'll never know what would've happened.

You'd be saying nothing if Defoe scored the winner.

My opinion is it would've still finished 1 each with a possible red card for Morelos and it means as much as yours view on it absolutely feck all because we'll never know.

Errr, but he didn’t score the winner, and didn’t fashion anything for himself and we looked even less of a threat. So what’s your point? Just going purely on logic and looking at how both players play, I don’t think that outcome was at all unexpected which is what I said on the match thread at the time.

It probably would have finished 1-1, but there was more chance of a victory with Morelos still being on the pitch.

actually thought his subs today were the ones I would have made. He was doing well yes but was starting to get a bit wound up so maybe that’s came into it
You are correct it was obvious that he was getting to involved I think Clancy would have been more than happy to give him a red if he as much as farted, it was the right decision.

Double standards were never better summed up than today.
Our goal scoring forward was booked (albeit he showed petulance) and there is no doubt Clancy would have taken any opportunity to send him off.
Their forward committed umpteen fouls , was warned then proceeded to commit several more without punishment.
And true to form BT proceed to award him MOTM.

Morelos would've been off the pitch the next time he got within 5 yards of a hearts player then he's suspended, it was the right call.
It was his first booking of the season and only about 10 minutes to go , I can understand taking him off but he was our only goal threat on the park

He was getting frustrated, when he gets frustrated he ends up getting sent off.
Not having that, he may have been frustrated, weren't we all, but he wasn't acting like a petulant prick ready to throw his toys out of the pram. This swap with Defoe is a lazy choice, keep the Buffalo on and we pose twice the threat. But onwards and upwards!

Morelos was poor today at least by his standards but he was at least involved in the game.

He is also by far our most most likely player to score from nothing (we weren’t creating)

Why take him off?

Gerrards subs are accross the board absolutely stinking.

It's hard to play well when your getting no support from your midfielders.Give the boy a break.

I’m not pointing the finger @ Gerrard for today’s performance but El Buf should have been on the pitch for full 90. Once he was taken off it ended our chances of winning the game.

I don’t think he would have been sent off so I’m not buying that excuse.

Not panicking but we really do need more off the likes of Ojo. Kent should replace him in the strongest 11 when fully fit

Personally would have taken off Kamara and stuck Defoe on. Hearts were lumping it at every chance they got and we were poor in front of goal.

I think the petulance that led to his booking made the managers mind up. Concerned he was getting frustrated and might see red.

I agree with the OP. Not his best game but Alfredo can score from nothing, Defoe needs chances to be created and we did not achieve that for the entire game.

Agree JCD.

Jermain can’t beat players with pace or with power. When he beats defenders it’s with clever movement when we have a lot of players around him / the box.

We weren’t dominating play today to enable that to be close to possible.

I think that Defoe was the poorer tactical choice as said in the thread but the manager putting him on is ultimately down to Alfie picking up five red cards last season. I get that he has shown a marked improvement but his previous record forced the decision, not Gerrard's error.

Substitution was determined before hand if you ask me. Not based on any plan to change the game.

Direct result of his childish behaviour. Thought he had maybe grown up clearly he hasn’t.
Aye okay then, have a word with yourself!!

1st yellow in the league!! Totally different attitude/behaviour from last season!! It was out of frustration and no wonder the way we played!!

He isn't the same player when he's on a yellow. Refs all too willing to give him another with the home crowd calling for it. Right decision imo by the gaffer.

Direct result of his childish behaviour. Thought he had maybe grown up clearly he hasn’t.
Agree last was way out of order but not to many would take what he took today. About ten minutes before he was taken off he was out wide on the left Hearts player goes them leaves him on his arse ,gets free kick not a word . Can only take so much. First time this season he has lost it. The big Hearts guy up front was fouling the whole game took about 80 mins before he was booked can you imagine how long the wee man would last doing what he was doing.

That was his first booking in the league this season (I think?). How was he a ticking time bomb?

We brought Defoe on and I'm not sure if he touched the ball?

Morelos should have remained on the park as no one was willing to drop deep, exploit spaces or trouble their back four.

True. There’s a few posters who can’t accept that Gerrard could ever make a mistake though and so try to justify every call even when it’s clearly not the right one.

The minute he came off was the minute I accepted there was no chance of us applying some late pressure to Hearts.

Without wanting to appear paranoid, I believe that Morelos would have certainly have been sent off.
After that booking (which as others have pointed out, was hardly the worst thing that happened on-field), the Hearts players would have been piling into him -- without themselves being punished.

He'd have ended up kicked and elbowed and hacked to the point of serious injury.
Of course, one slight reaction to any of that and he'd have seen the second yellow that Clancy would have loved to dish out.

And then what would fans have said of Gerrard?
"He should have seen what was likely to happen, with Alfie & Clancy, and got Defoe on."

I've been (and still am) critical of SG's use of subs, but although it dulled any attack we had yesterday, taking Morelos off was the sensible thing to have done, in those circumstances.

Like others, I also thought to myself that with him, went our chance of winning the game.
But equally, if we'd gone down to 10 men, we could quite easily have lost it.

It made sense at the time, it was done from a point of education, logic and historical evidence.

The "why" is actually quite easy to answer,

Back