Must keeps this summer?

We're on our way 55

Official Ticketer
As we are coming to the end of a long season, after watching todays last old firm. It had me thinking, who’s the most important players to keep?

Of course after a good few years after the core of the team/squad being together, there will certainly be interest for our top players.

I personally would like to keep a hold of Aribo, Kent and Goldson as must keeps, I think Kamara will be off as he seems to be getting minimum game time under Gio, unfortunately I think Alfie will be off too.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

If i could pick, in an ideal world id want to keep.

Tav
Goldson
Lundstram
Morelos
Kent
Aribo
Bassey

I cant see us keeping hold of all them. In fact, i think only Tav, Bassey and Lundstram will be here next year of those names. Theres a few others id like to stay, but i think they are much easier to replace than the ones ive listed.

Last edited:
McLaughlin
Tav
Bassey
Balogun (fitter than helander...at a push!!)
Lundstram
Jack
Aribo (although since AFCON im not 100%)
Kent
Morelos

Definite keeps: Tav, Bassey, Lundstram, Jack, Morelos, Lowry, King, McLaughlin

Not fussed: Helander, Roofe, Barisic

Would sell/release: Davis, Arfield, Itten, Wright, Katic, Simpson, Sakala, Balogun, McGregor, Kamara, Aribo, Kent

I would happily sell Kent, Aribo and Kamara this summer to fund the rebuild. We need a fresh squad and I'd much rather fund it with their sales than Bassey or Morelos'. Roofe, Helander and Balogun are too injury prone, can't rely on them over

Tav
Bassey
Lundstram
Jack
Morelos
Aribo and
Kent

Of the fringe players we really need to tie down Lowry and King.

From the out of contracts I'd keep:
Goldson
Davis

Get Morelos and Kent signed up or sold on.

Aribo and Kamara also sold.
Same for me.

I dont think Davis will stay. He is too slow for the pace to play most games and I don’t think he will want to stay to be a bit part player when his young family live in Southampton.

Kamara especially. I thought he would kick on this season after the new contract but in the few games Gio has played him he has been dreadful. If there is any player guaranteed to be sold this summer, it's him.
What's the most annoying thing is that I don't believe it's a question of form which you can forgive as everyone has ups and downs, to me he doesn't look interested and that's unforgivable. If you could transfer one iota of Lundstrams character into Kamara then you'd have a player on your hands.

Tav & Lundstram

Apart from that, although I’ll be very sad to see many of them go, have to go if the price is right if we want to progress and grow this player trading model.

Bassey and Lundstrum. I think we should look at moving Kent, Morelos Aribo and Kamara.
Hopefully for good money and let GVB get his own players in.

I'm with you.

No one, other than those two, is world class. We must keep them.

GVB can get players in to replace who we have.

Tav
Goldson
Lundstram
Morelos
Kent
Aribo
Bassey

I cant see us keeping hold of all them. In fact, i think only Tav, Bassey and Lundstram will be here next year of those names. Theres a few others id like to stay, but i think they are much easier to replace than the ones ive listed.
Think it’ll be Aribo Kamara and Morelos away for the big money.

Kamara especially. I thought he would kick on this season after the new contract but in the few games Gio has played him he has been dreadful. If there is any player guaranteed to be sold this summer, it's him.
The boy was more than destroyed by that bastard Kudela and all the abuse he took. Doesn't matter that there was some half arsed form of justice. GK was very badly affected and it crept into his game. He's still trying to shake it.
Tbf, he is one of the ones I'd let go too and should earn a decent fee. A fresh start elsewhere may be just what he needs.

If you extend aribo and Kent’s contracts that will more than likely mean putting them upto the 30k a week bracket, I’d personally try and cash in on them and start again

Ever player has their price. You’d imagine Tavernier will stay. Different animal under GvB.

I love Morelos more than my missus but I’d sell him for the right money.

I’d cash in on Kent too. Also hoping we can move on the likes of Helander, Barišić, Roofe.

Can genuinely see clubs in England abroad in for Bassey. Leipzig wouldn’t be a surprise.

This squad and first team need a complete overhaul.

I think we need to cash in on most of our prize assets and use the money to to build the nucleus of a new squad.

For me that would see Aribo, Kent, Kamara and Morelos all sold.

Whether Gio, Wilson and the board think that’s practical or not I don’t know, but I just feel this squad has run its race and we need new blood and lots of it.

As we are coming to the end of a long season, after watching todays last old firm. It had me thinking, who’s the most important players to keep?

Of course after a good few years after the core of the team/squad being together, there will certainly be interest for our top players.

I personally would like to keep a hold of Aribo, Kent and Goldson as must keeps, I think Kamara will be off as he seems to be getting minimum game time under Gio, unfortunately I think Alfie will be off too.

McLaughlin
Tav
Goldson
Bassey
Jack
Lundstram
Kent
Morelos
Fashion

I’d like to keep Ramsey, but wouldn’t say he’s a must keep.

There’s also some good youths, but I’m not going that deep into the squad.

Players to keep:

McLaughlin
Tav
Bassey
Lundstram
Jack
Davis (still offers something)
Kent
Roofe
Morelos
Sakala
Hagi

The rest I’m genuinely not bothered about.

Tav
Goldson
Lundstram
Morelos
Kent
Aribo
Bassey

Aribo :oops: surely you jest.

Would love to keep Kent, Aribo and Morelos but if they don't sign new contracts then they must be sold so we have the funds to replace them rather than risk losing them for nothing

Of the rest the ones I'd definitely keep are
McLaughlin
Tavernier
Bassey
Lundstram
Hagi
Jack
Roofe
Sakala

Would like Goldson to extend but that seems unlikely and wouldn't mind if Arfield got another year as a squad player. I like Helander and Balogun as players but both are very injury prone so might be worth moving on

Aribo :oops: surely you jest.

Whats so bad about keeping Aribo? Until the AFCON, he was probably our player of the season. Hes jaded and in need of a rest, so his forms dropped a bit. If thats what you mean, fair enough. But in general, Aribo has tremendous ability

Unless Kent, Aribo and Alfie extend their deals they need sold early summer.

Goldson will be gone.

Helander contract up next season and needs replace with someone not made of glass

Tav, Bassey and Lundstram are first names on the team sheet next season.
What happens to the rest ? Who knows.
Would like Alfie and Goldson to stay

Anyone is sellable, I don't think Tav would go regardless.

I expect Simpson, Hastie, Itten to be moved on. From the 1st team squad I think we might see 1 player being sold. Win the Europa and that could change massively, I just think Kents lack of end product and Aribo inconsistency will put other Clubs off of spending 10m plus on them.

We need 2xCBs, 1xAm, 2xRW and a Striker all of 1st team quality. I really hope we don't fill spots with the likes of Regan Charles Cook.

Whats so bad about keeping Aribo? Until the AFCON, he was probably our player of the season. Hes jaded and in need of a rest, so his forms dropped a bit. If thats what you mean, fair enough. But in general, Aribo has tremendous ability
His overall contribution is pretty bad.Get rid,and get young Lowry in there.ASAP

His overall contribution is pretty bad.Get rid,and get young Lowry in there.ASAP

33 games, 8 goals, 6 assists in the league. Essentially a goal involvement every 2nd game. Lowrys an 18yo boy and plays a different position.

Aribo wont be here next season anyway, but forcing people need to stop hyping Lowry. He needs eased in to the first team gradually.

Tav, Bassey, Lundstrum, Jack (but with a backup), Morelos, Kent, Hagi, Sakala, Roofe

I'm comfortable with McLaughlin and McCrorie in goal

I'd get King and Lowry into the squad, with McCann in and around too.

Barisic, Aribo, Kamara are 3 I'd be moving on

I'd like Goldson to stay, but don't see it

McGregor, Arfield, Ramsey can get moved on

Davis, I'm 50/50 on - I don't want him to go a season too far like McGregor did IMO

33 games, 8 goals, 6 assists in the league. Essentially a goal involvement every 2nd game. Lowrys an 18yo boy and plays a different position.

Aribo wont be here next season anyway, but forcing people need to stop hyping Lowry. He needs eased in to the first team gradually.
You don’t have an eye for a special talen Eh!;)
Probably one of the many who wanted Lundstram out the door,not long ago.Bottom line wee need something much better than Aribo.

Back