Must keeps this summer?

33 games, 8 goals, 6 assists in the league. Essentially a goal involvement every 2nd game. Lowrys an 18yo boy and plays a different position.

Aribo wont be here next season anyway, but forcing people need to stop hyping Lowry. He needs eased in to the first team gradually.
Agreed. Lowry needs eased in next season, mostly coming off the bench when a game is won rather than having the pressure of being a first pick and hopefully the following season he'll be ready to start games on a regular basis

You don’t have an eye for a special talen Eh!;)
Probably one of the many who wanted Lundstram out the door,not long ago.Bottom line wee need something much better than Aribo.

Except thst i was literally one of the only ones on here defending Lundstram. Can guarantee you werent.

Lowry is a talented lad. But talents only part of the equation. Hes nowhere near Aribos level yet either, even if he gets there in the future.

The team is in need of freshening up and players should be sold to fund this. Gio and his team must have their own ideas and targets and this is the first proper chance they will have to get them. January always difficult.

Only player I'd really be making an effort to keep is Morelos. I think we might struggle to replace him.

Anyone else has a price and if we can't tie down any players who are out of contract at the end of next season on a new deal then they need to be moved on.

There's players like Ryan Jack who probably won't have many options given his injuries and age who are worth keeping, even with his deal up at the end of next season.

Goldson. We should do everything possible to keep him. He will be hard to replace.

Morelos
Bassey
Lundstram
Kent
Tav
Lowry
Jack
Aribo (work rate needs to return though).

Goldson would be top of my list to keep, but I can't see him staying.

As we are coming to the end of a long season, after watching todays last old firm. It had me thinking, who’s the most important players to keep?

Of course after a good few years after the core of the team/squad being together, there will certainly be interest for our top players.

I personally would like to keep a hold of Aribo, Kent and Goldson as must keeps, I think Kamara will be off as he seems to be getting minimum game time under Gio, unfortunately I think Alfie will be off too.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?
Tav, Bassey, Goldson, Lundstram, Aribo, Kent, Morelos are must keeps.
Hagi is another, we missed him earlier in the season

I’d sell aribo, kamara, possibly kent, Of the ones out of contract I’d still offer Goldson maybe a decent signing on bonus to try and get him to stay.

Start to ease Mccann, Lowry into the team alongside a few proper quality signings

Out of the players approaching the end of their deals ideally keep Goldson, Davis and Morelos even if it’s just a 1 year extension

Cash in on Aribo and Kamara. I’m 50/50 on Kent, a great player on his day who has done amazing in Europe but we need goals from that position domestically

Except thst i was literally one of the only ones on here defending Lundstram. Can guarantee you werent.

Lowry is a talented lad. But talents only part of the equation. Hes nowhere near Aribos level yet either, even if he gets there in the future.
I was his main cheer leader,and I can’t remember you giving me a thumbs up.

Tbh along as we get a fair value I'd be fine with Kent and Aribo moving on. £15 million plus each.

They are fantastic players and in Europe they are great but if we are being honest their goal/assist contributions in the league are fairly average for playing in such advanced positions. We also have very little strength in depth to replace them if they are injured or out of form. This has showed in particular this season as both have had stretches of being off form but needing to play.

If we got £30 million for the pair that could facilitate a big injection of strength and depth in the squad.

If we had a choice of only keeping one of Morelos, Kent and Aribo. I'd be picking Morelos everyday.

I was his main cheer leader,and I can’t remember you giving me a thumbs up.

Definitive proof if ever there was any eh?

Lets move on mate. Your original point was on Aribo. I disagree. Lowry will be eased in more next season, as he should. But when Aribo goes, and he will, we need to bring in a first team option to replace him. At 18 Lowry cant be expected to play 50+ games a season.

Tbh along as we get a fair value I'd be fine with Kent and Aribo moving on. £15 million plus each.

They are fantastic players and in Europe they are great but if we are being honest their goal/assist contributions in the league are fairly average for playing in such advanced positions. We also have very little strength in depth to replace them if they are injured or out of form. This has showed in particular this season as both have had stretches of being off form but needing to play.

If we got £30 million for the pair that could facilitate a big injection of strength and depth in the squad.

If we had a choice of only keeping one of Morelos, Kent and Aribo. I'd be picking Morelos everyday.

Kents not gave us enough goals this season, 3 for the year when even that dumpling Abada had over 15.

Having said that, the talent exists with Kent. Hes a match winner on his day - so yeah, id consider selling him at that price, but i would be sad to see him go at the same time.

Definitive proof if ever there was any eh?

Lets move on mate. Your original point was on Aribo. I disagree. Lowry will be eased in more next season, as he should. But when Aribo goes, and he will, we need to bring in a first team option to replace him. At 18 Lowry cant be expected to play 50+ games a season.
Remember Hagi will be back. So that will be like getting a new signing depending on how he recovers.

Remember Hagi will be back. So that will be like getting a new signing depending on how he recovers.

Hagi, if he was in last seasons form, would have been a massive help for us this season. Hope the wee mans recovery is going well.

Kents not gave us enough goals this season, 3 for the year when even that dumpling Abada had over 15.

Having said that, the talent exists with Kent. Hes a match winner on his day - so yeah, id consider selling him at that price, but i would be sad to see him go at the same time.
Aye I'd be upset at losing Kent. He has given us some amazing moments and can be unplayable. It will be the same when we lose any of our main men. We haven't really lost any of our main players since Gerrard came in and we've been a little spoiled in that regard. Most teams usually lose 1 or 2 of their first 11 every 1/2 years. We haven't lost a main player in about 5 years.

I just feel in Scotland the monotony of playing the same teams 3-6 times a year, starts setting in after a few years and you just start getting diminishing returns with certain players. They still put in those big performances in European nights, but the league games for them just start blending together.

Aye I'd be upset at losing Kent. He has given us some amazing moments and can be unplayable. It will be the same when we lose any of our main men. We haven't really lost any of our main players since Gerrard came in and we've been a little spoiled in that regard. Most teams usually lose 1 or 2 of their first 11 every 1/2 years. We haven't lost a main player in about 5 years.

I just feel in Scotland the monotony of playing the same teams 3-6 times a year, starts setting in after a few years and you just start getting diminishing returns with certain players. They still put in those big performances in European nights, but the league games for them just start blending together.

I know what you mean. But we were in fairly unique circumstances. We had wholesale turnover of players every year for about 10 until Gerrard came in. That stability has made us the force we are, but yeah, i also concede not freshening it up does play a part. Goldson effectively admitted being bored.

I dont want this summer to be vast turnover either. 3 or 4, out. 3 or 4, in. That would be my preference. Might be forced into more given contract statuses of course.

An injured Alfie who can sign a pre contract with someone else in 8 months.

I really don't see us getting Offers of more than 8 million in the summer.

If we do.. Take it

Out of the players approaching the end of their deals ideally keep Goldson, Davis and Morelos even if it’s just a 1 year extension

Cash in on Aribo and Kamara. I’m 50/50 on Kent, a great player on his day who has done amazing in Europe but we need goals from that position domestically
A 1 year extension for goldson and morelos would be dear.

Goldson will want 2.5 million in wages I think.

An injured Alfie who can sign a pre contract with someone else in 8 months.

I really don't see us getting Offers of more than 8 million in the summer.

If we do.. Take it
I’d be amazed if we got anywhere near that! Ike you say, he’s free to sign a pre contract in January so I’d imagine most teams would want to watch how he recovers from injury before sounding out if he’s interested. Pre contract and then try and get him on the cheap early.

I would keep McLaughlin. Tav and his Polish back up,Bassey and Borna. Lundstram and Jack. Alfie and Roofe and Sakala.Hagi and thats all.

If we keep the majority and just take the next step in terms of a couple of quality additions in key areas we will be on the right track.

We missed a big opportunity to do that last summer unfortunately and we can’t make that mistake again.

I’d be amazed if we got anywhere near that! Ike you say, he’s free to sign a pre contract in January so I’d imagine most teams would want to watch how he recovers from injury before sounding out if he’s interested. Pre contract and then try and get him on the cheap early.
I've said before we will be lucky to get ten and got serious pelters.

No one is bidding in January. So we have another Laudrup scared to get injured

Haven’t read the rest of this thread yet but my must keeps for the next season would probably be

Tav
Bassey
Lundstram
Kent
Morelos
Lowry
King
And possibly Roofe

There are no must keeps for me, bar Tav.

I'm happy for anyone to go for good money that ensures reinvestment and refreshing the squad. That includes the likes of Morelos, Kent, Aribo and co.

We have to make changes.
Pretty much agree with this. There’s players I’d happily keep but none I’d fear losing as long as we use the funds well. The squad needs freshening up.

Must keeps

Tav
Aribo
Kent
Lundstram,
Bassey,
Morelos.

I’d be happy to try make some money losing Kamara and Barisic.

100% with you on Kamara and Aribo. Too inconsistent. And Aribo’s lack of workrate at times frustrates the hell out of me.

I’d also keep Jack and perhaps Kent. The reality is though we aren’t selling 20 players this summer.
Aribo’s lack of work rate.

Hahahahahah. Literally the only thing he cannot be faulted on.

Morelos Bassey & Lundstram the rest hmmm sell to highest bidder !
You can’t just rip up a team that’s made a European semi final and Scottish cup final and start again! Any more than 2 or 3 new first team players will take too long to bed in - look at the mob over the city. We can afford to take 3 months to get up to speed - by then the league and champions league could be gone! I’d be tempted to keep Morelos even if he doesn’t sign a new contract as he’s pretty much irreplaceable.

If we start the league with this team I’d be quite happy:
Tav Goldson Soutter Bassey(or Borna)
Jack Hagi Lundstram
Roofe Alfie Kent

Can't understand why people think Kent and Aribo are must keeps this summer. Both need sold and replaced with players that score far more goals.

You can’t just rip up a team that’s made a European semi final and Scottish cup final and start again! Any more than 2 or 3 new first team players will take too long to bed in - look at the mob over the city. We can afford to take 3 months to get up to speed - by then the league and champions league could be gone! I’d be tempted to keep Morelos even if he doesn’t sign a new contract as he’s pretty much irreplaceable.

If we start the league with this team I’d be quite happy:
Tav Goldson Soutter Bassey(or Borna)
Jack Hagi Lundstram
Roofe Alfie Kent
You're in for a shock.

Absolute must keeps for me are Tav, Kent and Morelos. There’s others I’d be reluctant to losing. But I think when those three tick we are capable of hurting any team. I also think they would be the hardest to replace like for like, within our budget.

If we can pick and choose who to cash in on then for me it’s Kamara. He’s going backwards at a rate of knots. However, given he cost us practically nothing then we’re looking at pure profit for him.

Anyone is sellable, I don't think Tav would go regardless.

I expect Simpson, Hastie, Itten to be moved on. From the 1st team squad I think we might see 1 player being sold. Win the Europa and that could change massively, I just think Kents lack of end product and Aribo inconsistency will put other Clubs off of spending 10m plus on them.

We need 2xCBs, 1xAm, 2xRW and a Striker all of 1st team quality. I really hope we don't fill spots with the likes of Regan Charles Cook.
Win the Europa and the players with a year left on their deal probably fetch the same as they would with a bit of time on their contract. As you say, it’ll change things massively

Goldson gets his critics but I would love to keep him. He very rarely misses a game and is solid in that defence. Would cost alot to replace him.

Goldson gets his critics but I would love to keep him. He very rarely misses a game and is solid in that defence. Would cost alot to replace him.
He’s not the most gifted central defender but as you say he is always available and dependable. I’d definitely be trying to sign him longer term. He’s never going to go to a team as big as us, with the chances of champions leagues and long europa league runs.

Comfortable losing most, tbh. This is a squad who’s coming to end of their cycle. It’s time for fresh blood. Fact guys we signed in early 20s are now entering ‘peak years’ is ample enough evidence that it’s time for a refresh. Realistically only one who we’d unlikely get an offer worth of selling compared to their value to us is Tav.

I'm not too bothered about Kamara, Aribo or Goldson.

Kamara has been average this season, I've never been totally sold on Aribo and his one great game in 5 doesn't make up for the 4 he's anonymous in and Goldson has had a long time to sign a new contract and hasn't.

Kent and Morelos come down to contracts. If we can get them to re-sign then great, but if they say no we should sell them.

I'd imagine our base for next season would be like this, but we really need some more actual competition for places as the drop off in our first 11 vs backups is too large. I'd also be interested to see how Hagi would do in a 10, he's never really played there given Gerrard didn't play a 10 and Aribo was playing there before his injury.

McLaughlin

Tav - Souttar - New - Bassey

Jack - Lundstram

New

New - Morelos - Kent

Said it already there is absolutely zero chance that the board let Kent and Morelos walk for free next summer. Complete mismanagement if we do. That means they sign up or they are sold.

Aribo?

What planet are you loon balls on, sell whilst the heart of a mouse, joe the jogger aribo is first on the list.

Kamara and barasic are goners too.

Back