Nathan Patterson - Start on Wednesday?

The young lad is clearly well thought of and at some point we need to show a bit of faith in him. I see no issues with him starting tonight.

I’d like to see him start tonight. Only way to find out if these players are good enough for first team squad long term is to show a bit of faith.

Got to start him.

Hope folk don’t expect him to be Tav overnight though.

This wee injury might make people realise how good Tav truly is.

It should be Patterson.

We should be on the front foot for the majority of the game tonight. If he wants to play Flanagan at Tynecastle then fair enough.

If experience is what we go for then it makes sense for Flanagan to play against St Mirren to get a bit of match fitness for the game against Hearts. Either way if its Patterson selected then I believe in the managers belief that he is ready to make a positive contribution to the team.

Funny that fans constantly moan about not having any youth players 'making it' or losing the likes if Gilmour to Chelsea and potentially Leon King to the Premiership.

Yet when it comes to it they don't want to play one of our best prospects against fucking St Mirren because it's a must win game.

Be as well scrapping the academy if that's the case.

Also, given some of Flanagan's performances he's potentially more of a risk than anybody.
Agreed on all counts. I'd be more comfortable with Patterson in there than Flanagan tbh. Nothing against him, but I just don't rate him at all. Has a huge mistake in him all the time.

I could see Patterson starting and subbing off for Flanagan at 60mins as a failsafe for Tynecastle, just to get Flanagan some game time

He deserves to start against St Mirren. I think the decision on who starts against Hearts should be made depending on how he performs tonight.
Agreed, think of the youngsters taking a boost from Nathan starting in 3 consecutive games, they need to see a path to the 1st team

If St Mirren are parking the bus then we want someone with attacking skills so Patterson should definitely start.

Would make sense certainly. Still thought he’d go with Patterson, but I’m sure we’ll be fine with Flanno.
I'd have been happy with either to be honest, so will trust the manager's judgement on this.

Will be interesting to see Flanagan in his natural position, as far as I can remember I've only seen him at LB.

No problem with Flanagan starting

Sure if he continues working hard Patterson will have his time

Quite disappointed in that from the gaffer to be honest. We keep hearing that players are “in possession of the jersey”. Patterson has started our last 2 matches, granted against poor opposition, and been one of our better players each time. He deserved to keep his place.

doesn’t send a good message to youth it it’s true that flanagan is starting
Gerrard rarely has "sent a good message" to the youth, just like how being the 19th man is supposed to be a positive instead of what it actually is in not being part of the squad. For a player like Patterson who is the closest replacement we have to Tav at the club to get dropped for bloody Jon Flanagan against St Mirren at Ibrox is him telling Patterson he doesn't think he is good enough plain and simple. This isn't celtic, porto or even throwing him in away to Hearts really early on in his career. This is a team that is poor in attack and are going to be sitting back for the entire game and Gerrard has decided that the guy who struggles to get into the final third is better for this type of match after Patterson just had a really impressive debut

Pish for a game where the away team will sit with 10 behind the ball.

Get it if Flanno has to play Sunday. But Hearts are bottom of league... good game for Patterson tonight I’d happily play him Sunday too.

No problem with Flanagan starting

Sure if he continues working hard Patterson will have his time
And when is that going to come? If he cant be trusted to start against St Mirren at home when is he ever going to get a game because when Tav is back not him, Flanagan or Polster are going to get a game over him.

This was the small chance Gerrard had to properly introduce Patterson as a first team player, give him however many games it takes for Tavernier to get back and he absolutely blew it.

Whoever was getting the nod at right back tonight will also likely get the jersey for the next 2-3 weeks.

Thise games incl:

Hearts (A)
Ross County (H)
Aberdeen (H)
Hibs (H)

Flanagan is the correct decision.

And when is that going to come? If he cant be trusted to start against St Mirren at home when is he ever going to get a game because when Tav is back not him, Flanagan or Polster are going to get a game over him.

This was the small chance Gerrard had to properly introduce Patterson as a first team player, give him however many games it takes for Tavernier to get back and he absolutely blew it.

I would've liked to see Patterson starting but I'm gonna trust the gaffer on this one

I'm a little disappointed. I hoped the kid would feature. Och well, he's had a taste for this year. He should be motivated to kick on again.

I wanted Patterson to start but did think Gerrard would have played Flanagan. If that’s who is playing against hearts it makes sense to get minutes into his legs , but the last few times Flanagan has played he hasn’t impressed. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Patterson get half an hour.

I would've liked to see Patterson starting but I'm gonna trust the gaffer on this one
Gerrard makes mistakes as well. Not saying im some genius or a better manager than Gerrard by wanting Patterson in over Flanagan but there's a reason we haven't seen Flanagan-Aribo on the same side since the celtic game at Ibrox. Was basically a black hole creatively that day

Gerrard rarely has "sent a good message" to the youth, just like how being the 19th man is supposed to be a positive instead of what it actually is in not being part of the squad. For a player like Patterson who is the closest replacement we have to Tav at the club to get dropped for bloody Jon Flanagan against St Mirren at Ibrox is him telling Patterson he doesn't think he is good enough plain and simple. This isn't celtic, porto or even throwing him in away to Hearts really early on in his career. This is a team that is poor in attack and are going to be sitting back for the entire game and Gerrard has decided that the guy who struggles to get into the final third is better for this type of match after Patterson just had a really impressive debut
Agreed 100%

Posted this in the match thread also

I think people upset about Patterson not starting should really think first about the lads future.

gerrard is managing the boy very well IMO

we play hearts on Sunday which is a massive game. We know the way hearts will play by throwing hammers.

If the boy was to have a tough time of it on Sunday then it wouldn’t do his confidence any good

his time will come, I’m sure of it

As in the post I did in the match day thread, I reckon SG is looking ahead to the weekend game with the intention of playing Flanagan so he will need game time and tonight is that game. I also reckon he is looking at protecting Patterson and will be looking at limiting his actual game time in the first 11.

Back