Nathan Patterson - Start on Wednesday?

To play devil's advocate, as promising a talent he is, Patterson has to earn the jersey just the same as the experienced pros.

Whats to say Flanagan hasn't earned this via training?

I trust Gerrard to manage Patterson intelligently and with foresight

What’s with all this Patterson is in possession of the jersey. He got a run out in a cup game. He had a decent performance. Nothing more. We are out to win the league. A number of years ago we had Myles Beerman come in played well everyone saying he deserved to play against Celtic. He did have a penalty away early doors set the tone for the game we got beat. Beerman was never the same again.

As another poster pointed out Patterson still managed to show enough naivety on Friday to dive in and get booked for nothing. Imagine him doing that tonight or at Tynecastle in the penalty box all you budding Gerrard’s on here would be going tonto.

Patterson will get his time but when he gets minutes in him.

For me we must win tonight to go top, to keep on the pressure. For that we need our strongest 11, Patterson hasn't been tested defensively so it's right to go with Flanagan

Too important a game and a lot of pressure for the lad, so probably best for an experienced head at this moment. He'll get his chance.

We’re in a title race where every point matters. Can understand the gaffer going for experience. Patterson’s time will come

Bit of a kick on the balls for the young lad played well home to a diddy team but we go with a right back devoid of any attacking ability

Gerrard rarely has "sent a good message" to the youth, just like how being the 19th man is supposed to be a positive instead of what it actually is in not being part of the squad. For a player like Patterson who is the closest replacement we have to Tav at the club to get dropped for bloody Jon Flanagan against St Mirren at Ibrox is him telling Patterson he doesn't think he is good enough plain and simple. This isn't celtic, porto or even throwing him in away to Hearts really early on in his career. This is a team that is poor in attack and are going to be sitting back for the entire game and Gerrard has decided that the guy who struggles to get into the final third is better for this type of match after Patterson just had a really impressive debut

I know. You’d think Gerrard had to think short term to win a title or something.

Got the win, yes, but fully stand by this.

From what I watched, Flanagan was not impressive at all.

He doesn't compliment our system at all, really surprised he started tonight based on what I've heard about Patterson the last few games he's excelled.

Most likely just to get him game time ahead of a certain start against Hearts on Sunday.

I'd rather start Ryan Jack at right back before I'd let Flanagan anywhere near our starting XI on Sunday.

His one paced, one footed kick the ball in whatever direction he's facing style simply does not suit us.

I'd rather start Ryan Jack at right back before I'd let Flanagan anywhere near our starting XI on Sunday.

His one paced, one footed kick the ball in whatever direction he's facing style simply does not suit us.
There will honestly be folk who come on here and say “he didn’t do anything wrong”.

Football is not the sport for these people.

You've clearly been speaking to the footballing Oracle that is Micheal Stewart :))

Seriously though, Flanagan is a decent defender when he's up to speed but offers nothing going forward. He didn't do anything wrong tonight so not here to slate him but he wasn't really offering much. On the other hand, Nathan put some fantastic crosses in over the past couple of games. I haven't seen anything to say he's a risk defensively either so I'd have liked to see him get some minutes tonight but considering how dire we were, I think it was just playing safe. I see a future for him though & may get bedded in over the rest of the season & Tav may well be looking for pastures new over the Summer.

Before the game I thought it was a game for Flanagan's experience. But after watching it, Patterson could have easily played tonight. St Mirren offered so little he would've hardly had to defend and his energy would have helped us going forward.

I would've liked to see Patterson get a chance to fight for the RB position with the next two games but it'll be Flanagan. I hope we move him on in summer as he's not good enough.

Very disappointing that young Patterson didn't play. Can only think Gerrard wanted Flanagan to get game time before more defensive games.

I don't understand if the manager was always playing flanno tonight why he didn't play him on Friday to get him sharp, very strange

There will honestly be folk who come on here and say “he didn’t do anything wrong”.

Football is not the sport for these people.

First half Flanagan had 3 crosses blocked or deflected. Every pass he made found a blue jersey. He was the only one first half that managed it but people had their mind up before a ball was kicked as they know better and will come on here and lie about him.

First half Flanagan had 3 crosses blocked or deflected. Every pass he made found a blue jersey. He was the only one first half that managed it but people had their mind up before a ball was kicked as they know better and will come on here and lie about him.
Can’t tell if you’re backing up him or not by stating he had 3 crosses blocked.

I can think of at least 3 passes he didn’t find a blue jersey too, so thats a lie.

Trust the kid. Everything Flanagan does is negative and makes us far less threatening. Patterson deserves the chance to show what he can do.

He should start on Sunday. Quite frankly Flanagan cannot be counted on when we need to attack teams, he throws off the balance of the whole side. Is Tav due back for next week?

was an utter shambles that flanagan got picked over patterson tonight when we have the ball and need to attack flanagan is like a man down

I said on the match thread, I couldn't understand why most of our play was going down the right with Flanagan involved when we have barasic and kent on the left. Our style of play is best complimented with 2 attacking full backs.

Back