New made up roles in football

Loyal72

Seeing a lot of clubs appointing a "Team Captain", "Club Captain" and "Dressing room leader" lately.

One captain and a vice captain. That's the way it should be.

These made up roles are nothing more than to appease soft minded footballers that can't take not being in charge.

This is what happens when you have no winners or losers and everyone gets a medal for participating.

My rant for the day.

This has been going on for years and years. Scottish (and British football) put far much weight on who is wearing a bit of fabric around their sleeve.

Maybe I'm old school that way. Sure you're always going to expect more senior players to step up and have a role behind the scenes.

But actually giving out new roles seems a bit cheap.

Surely it's still kids dreams to play football and captain their boyhood heroes?

Supporters laison officer

I still struggle to see what the purpose for one is?

No offence to ours. Just dont see the point really when the club can just give info first hand or have an enquiry team that can take calls from the supporters.

The bridge from club to supporters imo is massive and a slo makes no difference.

Customer service office with folk manning a few phones is what we need and supporters info done through our social media pages.

Supporters laison officer

I still struggle to see what the purpose for one is?

No offence to ours. Just dont see the point really when the club can just give info first hand or have an enquiry team that can take calls from the supporters.

The bridge from club to supporters imo is massive and a slo makes no difference.

Customer service office with folk manning a few phones is what we need and supporters info done through our social media pages.

More folk costs more money than a single person though, I’m guessing that’s kind of the point.

Seeing a lot of clubs appointing a "Team Captain", "Club Captain" and "Dressing room leader" lately.

These made up roles are nothing more than to appease soft minded footballers that can't take not being in charge.

This is what happens when you have no winners or losers and everyone gets a medal for participating.

My rant for the day.
I noticed Gerrard has done it at Villa. You reckon he is doing it just to appease soft minded players? Doesn't seem in his character to me.

One person trying to deal with 100s of supporters issues a day is pointless,thats my point.

For a club so big we should have an office dedicated to calls from supporters and ticket enquiries.

Yeah don’t disagree mate, I think for most clubs that side of things tends to be an afterthought sadly.

I noticed Gerrard has done it at Villa. You reckon he is doing it just to appease soft minded players? Doesn't seem in his character to me.

The captain generally has to manage things such as fines, friends and family tickets, team events etc.

I'm assuming he's made Young club captain to manage all that crap so that McGinn can just focus on being the on field captain.

My rant for the day.
You need a team captain and club captain.

Gough was club captain and we would have a team captain when out the team/squad.

Been a regular thing for us until we had Tav as a mainstay who doesnt get injured

My rant for the day.
What clubs are doing this?

I always had a club captain and team captains were; reserves, U18, U16 and so one down the structure. But we didn’t have a club captain and a first team captain.

Only deputy was for club captain.

Club captain and team captain has been about for years, and usually occurs by accident.

I.e, an established captain either gets too old after spending years at a club and gets used less and less, so gets referred to as 'club captain' whilst another on field player obviously is 'team captain'.

Same as if established captain becomes long term injured and again doesn't play as much.

No one's going to publicly strip a player of a captaincy, so you end up with 2 until the club captain retires. Usually.

My rant for the day.
Would actually say it’s the opposite, not sure a lot of players value being a leader/captain as much as players used to

For me, I think club captain becomes a thing when they're still at the club but on the decline and no longer guaranteed a game. I don't mind it as you don't want to strip long standing leaders but at same time you need to realise the role they have isn't what a normal captain might have.

My rant for the day.
Isn’t a vice captain a made up role?

The leadership group has been around for years, they used to just be called senior pro’s.

Souness said he never had a job at half time because Gough, Brown, Butcher and Wilkins had sorted out any problems before he got to the changing room.

Is this he same as can happen in other employment - usually public = sectors. Invent a title as a way to justify additional payment to a player keeping him happy without a new contract?

I can sort of understand having a Club Captain and a different on field captain if the Club Captain is an older player who may not be a regular starter, or a Goalie who can’t communicate on the pitch as well as an outfield player. Hibs seem to have got it the wrong way round.

That ‘Leadership Role’ is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as giving any responsibility to a talentless ned like Ryan Porteous.

You need a team captain and club captain.

Gough was club captain and we would have a team captain when out the team/squad.

Been a regular thing for us until we had Tav as a mainstay who doesnt get injured

That would be the vice captain then?

You dont need a club captain and a vice captain. You need a captain & a vice captain. That is it. Club captain isn’t playing, then the vice captain is the captain on the pitch.

No need to complicate it all with these silly new roles.

Lots of teams will have a leader in the squad that no longer plays regularly. Roma for example had De Rossi and Totti, now no matter who had the armband they were the main men in that club.

That would be the vice captain then?

You dont need a club captain and a vice captain. You need a captain & a vice captain. That is it. Club captain isn’t playing, then the vice captain is the captain on the pitch.

No need to complicate it all with these silly new roles.
What if both those players are out, do they have a tombola? No, they pick someone else in the leadership group depending on the squad dynamics.

Back